PDA

View Full Version : Baseball

RBritt
05-08-2014, 11:12 AM
Who all will be gone for next year's season? I know Lindgrin, the Canadians, are there any
Others that may be leaving? Who all have we signed for next year, arms and bats? Will we sign any guys this summer like we did with Seth Heck?

CadaverDawg
05-08-2014, 11:24 AM
Are the Canadians 100% leaving? Or is this speculation? Bc if it's not 100%, may be best not to throw it out there

smootness
05-08-2014, 12:01 PM
I have no idea on the Canadians. I'm pretty sure, without looking at a roster, that we lose Bradford, Henderson, Armstrong, Pirtle, Detz, Lindgren, and Bracewell. We could potentially lose Woodruff, Holder, or Rea to the draft.

Our impact signees are Holland and the pitcher Brown from JUCO as well as Vallot, Cole Gordon, Burdick, and Gridley, barring the draft.

We'll also add guys like Swinarski, Rooker and Ingram who are redshirting right now and possibly Paul Young if he gets healthy in time.

The Croom Diaries
05-08-2014, 12:06 PM
Seniors: Bracwell, Hendu, Bradford, Pirtle, Detz, Armstrong

Draft eligible: Lingo, Woodruff, Rea, Heck, Randolph, Mitchell, Vickerson, Britton, Walker, Cox, Fitts, Holder

maroonmania
05-08-2014, 03:00 PM
Are the Canadians 100% leaving? Or is this speculation? Bc if it's not 100%, may be best not to throw it out there

Robson's best chance to get playing time will be next year after we lose CT, Henderson and Armstrong. He has great speed but if he can't learn to get the bat on the ball that doesn't really matter. He seems to have actually regressed as a hitter this year from last year. For Hann, given Heck and Britton are back and with the guy from FSU transferring in, I don't really see and infield spot opening up for him. Being some of Canada's best young players I'm surprised one or the other haven't been able to contribute more.

Will James
05-08-2014, 03:56 PM
Our impact signees are Holland and the pitcher Brown from JUCO as well as Vallot, Cole Gordon, Burdick, and Gridley, barring the draft.

We'll also add guys like Swinarski, Rooker and Ingram who are redshirting right now and possibly Paul Young if he gets healthy in time.

Straight copy and paste job on Todd4.

Goat Holder
05-08-2014, 04:13 PM
My predictions for who's gone:

41 total on roster now

- 6 seniors
- 5 transfers: Hann, Robson, Garner, Walker, Hudspeth
- 3 to MLB Draft: Lindgren, Woodruff, Holder
- I have a feeling Rea will become an assistant coach or something

So that's 15 guys gone. 11 coming in in, 1 or 2 of which could be drafted, so let's say 10. 36 guys back next fall. Maybe we finally won't have to cut anyone. I have no clue how many the NCAA lets you have.

RAYn_Man
05-08-2014, 09:09 PM
35 on the active roster, 27 of which are scholarship players and then as many walk-ons as you want. Redshirted walk-ons don't count against 35 man roster.

Todd4State
05-08-2014, 10:46 PM
Robson's best chance to get playing time will be next year after we lose CT, Henderson and Armstrong. He has great speed but if he can't learn to get the bat on the ball that doesn't really matter. He seems to have actually regressed as a hitter this year from last year. For Hann, given Heck and Britton are back and with the guy from FSU transferring in, I don't really see and infield spot opening up for him. Being some of Canada's best young players I'm surprised one or the other haven't been able to contribute more.

Robson has been hurt. That's why he hasn't even been used as a pinch runner lately.

If he's healthy, he's pretty good.

If Hann stays and I don't think he will- he will compete with Heck and Holland and don't forget Dale Burdick will have a chance to come in and play right away. From what I have heard, Robson probably will stay.

Todd4State
05-08-2014, 10:48 PM

Meh- I'm not real high on Ingram. Rooker has talent but it's going to be a couple of years on him. He has to develop confidence in his game.

messageboardsuperhero
05-08-2014, 11:32 PM
I hope Robson comes back. People have been down on him this year, but remember he's been hurt for most of the season. If Robson cuts back on the K's and starts slapping the ball around the infield like he's capable of, he could be a very good centerfielder for us. His defense is already very good when healthy.

We have more talent on this team than our record indicates- we just really need some guys who can get extra base hits and drive in runs. With Humphreys, Collins, Brown, and Garner (hopefully) coming back as sophomores and Gordon, Swinarski, Burdick, and Vallot coming in as freshmen, we should be better at producing runs going forward.

Todd4State
05-09-2014, 12:12 AM
I hope Robson comes back. People have been down on him this year, but remember he's been hurt for most of the season. If Robson cuts back on the K's and starts slapping the ball around the infield like he's capable of, he could be a very good centerfielder for us. His defense is already very good when healthy.

We have more talent on this team than our record indicates- we just really need some guys who can get extra base hits and drive in runs. With Humphreys, Collins, Brown, and Garner (hopefully) coming back as sophomores and Gordon, Swinarski, Burdick, and Vallot coming in as freshmen, we should be better at producing runs going forward.

If things happen like I think they are likely going to happen, we are going to be very senior laden next year. I may be off on a spot or two- but I'm probably fairly close.

When you have a ton of seniors on your team in college baseball, it's a recipe for success. See Ole Miss this year compared to Ole Miss last year. The seams changing are going to also help with our power- especially with guys like Rea if he comes back, Collins, Britton, and Humphreys. I wouldn't be shocked if we hit 30-40 home runs as a team next year.

Also, I think our hitting stats are a little bit misleading this year. Before the shaved beard meeting we were hitting in the .260's with only six home runs as a team. Ever since Cohen had that meeting and our guys re-focused and started to get back to basics and go gap to gap instead of doing their own thing, our batting average has gone up 14 points and we've doubled our home runs. So, we're probably a little bit better than what is reflected on the stat sheet.

The only questions I really have are who comes back, can Holland live up to the hype, and will Paul Young and Robson be wild cards next year? In Young and Robson, you're talking about two guys that were drafted out of high school by MLB that have basically been taken out by injuries. You could probably include Brandon Woodruff in there too.

messageboardsuperhero
05-09-2014, 06:53 AM
If things happen like I think they are likely going to happen, we are going to be very senior laden next year. I may be off on a spot or two- but I'm probably fairly close.

When you have a ton of seniors on your team in college baseball, it's a recipe for success. See Ole Miss this year compared to Ole Miss last year. The seams changing are going to also help with our power- especially with guys like Rea if he comes back, Collins, Britton, and Humphreys. I wouldn't be shocked if we hit 30-40 home runs as a team next year.

Also, I think our hitting stats are a little bit misleading this year. Before the shaved beard meeting we were hitting in the .260's with only six home runs as a team. Ever since Cohen had that meeting and our guys re-focused and started to get back to basics and go gap to gap instead of doing their own thing, our batting average has gone up 14 points and we've doubled our home runs. So, we're probably a little bit better than what is reflected on the stat sheet.

The only questions I really have are who comes back, can Holland live up to the hype, and will Paul Young and Robson be wild cards next year? In Young and Robson, you're talking about two guys that were drafted out of high school by MLB that have basically been taken out by injuries. You could probably include Brandon Woodruff in there too.

Personally, I think you're stretching a little with this number. Maybe if we played in a small park, 30-40 bombs could be possible, but DNF is a little bit of a different story. Overall though, I definitely think we'll be better next year. We'll miss Lindgren and possibly Holder in the pen, but our entire rotation that we're using now should all be back. Sexton, Hudson, Tatum, and Houston will all be a year older. Hopefully Young is healthy- he's potentially a real difference maker. I'm also excited to see what McCord and Dominguez can do. The reports I've heard on them sound really promising.

If there's one thing I've figured out in my years of following baseball on all different levels, it's this: when things are going good, they're never quite as good as they seem; and conversely when things are going bad, they're also never quite as bad as they seem. We're not nearly as bad as we've looked at times this year- there have just been several very key injuries and under-performances holding us back. Combine that with some cockiness from last year and a little bit of bad fortune, and this is what you get. I will say this though- if being a #2 seed is considered a "major disappointment" for our program going forward, I can certainly live with that.

CadaverDawg
05-09-2014, 07:25 AM
I may end up wrong...but don't be totally shocked if Laster plays an important role next season on the mound. With a strong off season and a little more velocity, he could potentially make a big jump IMO.

If he does, and if Brown continues to improve...the combination of Fitts, Ross, Brown, Laster, Hudson, Sexton, Tatum, and potentially Young, could be a decent staff top to bottom.

We need Collins to improve defensively, and for Holland to be as advertised....and I would really like to see Vickerson make a huge stride offensively. The potential is there with him IMO.

MsStateBaseball
05-09-2014, 08:40 AM
We will lose 6 seniors, Lindgren for sure in the draft. Woody and Holder will get drafted 5-10 round. It all depends on what they think they have accomplished and if there is more to do in college. Never know. I think Hann and Robson will stay bc they will have lots of opportunity to play next year. I do think Rea is gone bc he is tired of college and tired of struggling in college. He will be a late pick or sign a FA. I wouldn't be surprised in some catchers leaving. Not collins but anybody else. I don't think Garner will be back. Walker may split too. I do think Vallot will go pro. So we better be getting us some JC catchers. We will be young and inexperienced in spots, in OF and 1B but 2015 team will be more talented.

Political Hack
05-09-2014, 08:46 AM
why are people thinking the Canadians are leaving?

MsStateBaseball
05-09-2014, 08:50 AM
They were in the Cohen doghouse esp Hann.

smootness
05-09-2014, 08:51 AM

What are you talking about? I just listed the guys I know of that will be 'new' next year off the top of my head.

That's like saying if two different people list our football recruiting class, one copy-and-pasted the other. I have no clue what you're talking about.

RAYn_Man
05-09-2014, 08:53 AM
If things happen like I think they are likely going to happen, we are going to be very senior laden next year.

We are senior laden this year...

RAYn_Man
05-09-2014, 08:55 AM
I wouldn't be shocked if we hit 30-40 home runs as a team next year.

You're high as shit.

Jacksondevildog
05-09-2014, 09:01 AM
The biggest thing that i remember is Robson leading the team in batting in the fall during his freshman year. The ability is there, but injuries have hampered his production. He just has absolutely zero gap to gap power. Zero.

Will James
05-09-2014, 09:36 AM
What are you talking about? I just listed the guys I know of that will be 'new' next year off the top of my head.

That's like saying if two different people list our football recruiting class, one copy-and-pasted the other. I have no clue what you're talking about.

It's just something I notice, the Todd lists. If I had a dollar every time the words Gordon Burdick Alexander and Riley appear in the same post id buy a pretty good steak tonight.

We should have a baseball recruit sticky that Todd updates to save him having to repeat the same thing so much.