PDA

View Full Version : Stans stays in the SEC

TheRef
05-07-2014, 02:06 PM
Stansbury has been hired as an assistant for the TAMU program.....

SouthMsDawg
05-07-2014, 02:13 PM
LINK?

Homedawg
05-07-2014, 02:14 PM
If this is true cue the insanity on this board.

TheRef
05-07-2014, 02:18 PM
Only source I have is a Bo Bounds tweet.

Out of Bounds
@bobounds
Wow Rick Stansbury to A&M as an assistant? Big pickup for A&M. #Hoops

2:00pm ? 7 May 2014 ? TweetCaster for iOS

thf24
05-07-2014, 02:18 PM
If this is true cue the insanity on this board.

We're no doubt going to hear all about how aTm is going to shaft us for years and years to come with all the 4 and 5 star Mississippi players they're going to recruit...

Homedawg
05-07-2014, 02:28 PM
I can't believe all his buddies on this board didn't give is the heads up. Even better will be the reasoning for taking this job when a head job is awaiting him. I'm all ears. Hope it's true, good for him.

Coach34
05-07-2014, 02:29 PM
Good for him. Why would he have wanted that Southern Miss job when he could be an asst at A&M?

Glad to see him back at work

Coach34
05-07-2014, 02:33 PM
Pollard to A&M? Maybe they just hired Stands to secure Pollard?

Homedawg
05-07-2014, 02:40 PM
Pollard to A&M? Maybe they just hired Stands to secure Pollard?

Can he go to a&m? Might violate his probabtion!!!

BulldogBear
05-07-2014, 02:51 PM
I knew there had to be something to it when I saw him fly out of Jackson going to College Station on May 1.

engie
05-07-2014, 02:56 PM
Interesting choice...

Kennedy is on about as hot of seat as you can be in the SEC while still having a job. And outside of extreme circumstances, fired(for performance) coaches don't get to have successors come from within...

MadDawg
05-07-2014, 03:27 PM
Stansbury has been hired as an assistant for the TAMU program.....

Well I didn't see that one coming. I figured he'd wind up at a school in a small conference as a head coach. Assistant at TAMU? Interesting.

DawgSaint
05-07-2014, 03:32 PM
Guess his favorite colors really are Maroon and White!

MadDawg
05-07-2014, 03:37 PM
Guess his favorite colors really are Maroon and White!

Meo can keep her wardrobe.

MadDawg
05-07-2014, 03:38 PM
This is on ESPN.com now

drunkernhelldawg
05-07-2014, 03:41 PM
Meo can keep her wardrobe.

He can try if he wants, but my guess is she'll be enjoying some shopping.

Johnson85
05-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Good for him. That seems like a pretty good landing spot and glad it worked out for him. And I also don't think that's a spot where he'll hurt us too bad recruiting wise.

RC3
05-07-2014, 03:51 PM
dude will make a great assistant coach. bottom line. he can focus 100 percent of his time to recruiting and not have to worry about actually trying to coach

DawgSaint
05-07-2014, 04:07 PM
dude will make a great assistant coach. bottom line. he can focus 100 percent of his time to recruiting and not have to worry about actually trying to coach

Agreed 100% Think this was a good hire for A&M.

shannondawg
05-07-2014, 06:01 PM
I know that I will be attending one game at the Hump next year.. He happy , I happy.

Irondawg
05-07-2014, 06:13 PM
Well he's back to what his strength is - he can be an outstanding recruiter, focus a little on defense and rebounding and also be the players coach on the staff. I know next to nothing about their head coach but I'm guessing he's a tad on the hot seat and thus why hiring Stans make sense.

Interesting to see how this plays out.

mic
05-07-2014, 07:11 PM
I know that I will be attending one game at the Hump next year.. He happy , I happy.

Thanks so much for your support of MSU basketball...

Coach34
05-07-2014, 07:13 PM
Thanks so much for your support of MSU basketball...

C34 likes this

shannondawg
05-07-2014, 07:24 PM
If you assholes only knew.

Homedawg
05-07-2014, 07:35 PM

I think you should go to UAB an be a baseball fan too while you are at it!

Political Hack
05-07-2014, 07:37 PM
great hire by A&M. one of the best assistants in modern day sec basketball.

shannondawg
05-07-2014, 07:45 PM
I think you should go to UAB an be a baseball fan too while you are at it!

Why would I want to do that. I wouldn't care to visit with Ron Polk, but I would like to see my friend Rick Stansbury at the Hump one more time..

Homedawg
05-07-2014, 07:50 PM
Well I hope you get your wish and we have a&m home and home again.

JOHNHEVESYMADE
05-07-2014, 10:53 PM
If Billy Kennedy gets fired, Stansbury would most likely become interim coach. He could probably parlay that into the A&M job back door style or some other job. Just throwing ideas out there. Good move for A&M and good move for Stansbury.

War Machine Dawg
05-07-2014, 11:26 PM
If Billy Kennedy gets fired, Stansbury would most likely become interim coach. He could probably parlay that into the A&M job back door style or some other job. Just throwing ideas out there. Good move for A&M and good move for Stansbury.

So in other words, he could backstab his way into a HC job aGAIN?

drunkernhelldawg
05-07-2014, 11:45 PM

Fill in the details. I have no idea of the circumstances that made Stans our coach many years ago. I was out of state at the time.

HailState39110
05-08-2014, 06:25 AM

Lol. I think it could very well happen. Kennedy has health issues and he is also on the hot seat. You wonder if there was some type of agreement there that enticed him to go to College Station . Surely it wasn't "well Kennedy might get fired this season so you might be looking for another job next year. "

quickstrike2
05-08-2014, 08:23 AM
Interesting move, but probably a good one. If he wants to be a head coach again, this may be his best route to go as far as getting his name back out there.

MadDawg
05-08-2014, 08:32 AM
Wait..... you mean Stansbury made Richard Williams start banging cheerleaders? How did he pull that off? Man can work miracles.

coastdoglover
05-08-2014, 10:39 AM
amazing how damn stupid some of our fans are, if indeed they are our fans in reality. Very smart move by both parties and look for him to get a top player for the Aggies in the next few weeks.

Wait..... you mean Stansbury made Richard Williams start banging cheerleaders? How did he pull that off? Man can work miracles.

1bigdawg
05-08-2014, 11:21 AM
He was a great assistant coach here, as a recruiter, with player relations and with Xs and Os. He started out pretty good as a head coach, but lost control at the end. It was sad. I hope this gets him back in the game and gives him another shot at a head coaching job. However, this is a better shot than Richard Williams ever got and his transgressions, while real, were smaller than a lot of people still in the game.

Homedawg
05-08-2014, 11:22 AM
amazing how damn stupid some of our fans are, if indeed they are our fans in reality. Very smart move by both parties and look for him to get a top player for the Aggies in the next few weeks.

A top player? What top players haven't signed by now? .............
Eta, I think rick is a good recruiter and it's a good move on their part. And I am assuming u mean top player in the class of 14. If I jumped the gun then sorry. But if it is the class of 14 u speak of- well it won't be a top guy it will be leftovers.

C222
05-08-2014, 11:25 AM

This is hilarious coming from the guy who refuses to support our current coach because his feelings are hurt that his buddy was forced out.

engie
05-08-2014, 11:37 AM
A top player? What top players haven't signed by now? .............
Eta, I think rick is a good recruiter and it's a good move on their part. And I am assuming u mean top player in the class of 14. If I jumped the gun then sorry. But if it is the class of 14 u speak of- well it won't be a top guy it will be leftovers.

Devonta Pollard has been tied to Stansbury at the hip for quite awhile now. That's who he's talking about.

Although it's pretty laughable to call him a "top player" at this point...

drunkernhelldawg
05-08-2014, 11:44 AM
Devonta Pollard has been tied to Stansbury at the hip for quite awhile now. That's who he's talking about.

I hope Pollard does find a place and get a chance to work toward success. Way too many elite high school athletes are doing time instead of playing pro ball. If your son's coach doesn't care about character, get him away from that dumb son of a bitch.

dogshiek
05-08-2014, 11:51 AM
I'm glad Standsbury has a job. Can we stop discussing him now? We don't discuss HUD anymore.

Homedawg
05-08-2014, 12:03 PM

Oh I know he has. Either way pollard or whoever, leftover.

coastdoglover
05-08-2014, 02:32 PM
Stay tuned dumbasses.

Oh I know he has. Either way pollard or whoever, leftover.

thf24
05-08-2014, 03:04 PM
I'm glad Standsbury has a job. Can we stop discussing him now? We don't discuss HUD anymore.

+1. Although I'm sure Hud will come up again the next time we miss a field goal or mismanage the clock before a half.

Political Hack
05-08-2014, 03:24 PM
I'd probably take CDL at his word on 99% of these issues.

TheRef
05-08-2014, 03:25 PM

The only reason I brought it up was because we would face him in the SEC...just a quick update for the offseason.

drunkernhelldawg
05-08-2014, 03:29 PM
The only reason I brought it up was because we would face him in the SEC...just a quick update for the offseason.

I don't get why it shouldn't be discussed. It's relevant on many levels.

smootness
05-08-2014, 03:40 PM
I'm happy for him. It was time for him to go as HC at State; this is a good move for A&M and a good move for Stans. Why the discussion has to involve anything outside of that is beyond me.

Hopefully we can all move on now, in whatever form that takes for each person. Some will probably continue no longer being State basketball fans for whatever reason, but it is what it is.

MadDawg
05-08-2014, 03:52 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with talking about Stansbury. He's a former coach. And now he's back in coaching. All fair game.

I just hope we can one day get to a point where you can talk about Stansbury on here without having to put the disclaimer in your post similar to "while I think Stans was an ok coach, it was time for him to go" out of fear of being blasted by the Stans haters for almost seeming like you don't think he was the worst coach in the history of college basketball.

fishwater99
05-08-2014, 03:54 PM
He was a great assistant coach here, as a recruiter , with player relations and with Xs and Os. He started out pretty good as a head coach, but lost control at the end. It was sad. I hope this gets him back in the game and gives him another shot at a head coaching job. However, this is a better shot than Richard Williams ever got and his transgressions, while real, were smaller than a lot of people still in the game.

wow...
Did you ever watch one of our games while he was out head-coach....
He was a great recruiter, and okay defensive coach, that's it...

engie
05-08-2014, 04:30 PM
Stay tuned dumbasses.

Remind me -- Who was the last one of those elite talents that actually worked out for him at MSU? Help me remember, would you please?

quickstrike2
05-08-2014, 04:41 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with talking about Stansbury. He's a former coach. And now he's back in coaching. All fair game.

I just hope we can one day get to a point where you can talk about Stansbury on here without having to put the disclaimer in your post similar to "while I think Stans was an ok coach, it was time for him to go" out of fear of being blasted by the Stans haters for almost seeming like you don't think he was the worst coach in the history of college basketball.

I absolutely could not agree more with this statement.

Political Hack
05-08-2014, 05:33 PM
Remind me -- Who was the last one of those elite talents that actually worked out for him at MSU? Help me remember, would you please?

Mario Austin, Lawrence Roberts, Tang Hamilton, Z, Bullard, Dampier, Wilson, Dante, Big Country, Bowers, and I'm sure I'm missing a dozen or so.

engie
05-08-2014, 05:46 PM
Mario Austin, Lawrence Roberts, Tang Hamilton, Z, Bullard, Dampier, Wilson, Dante, Big Country, Bowers, and I'm sure I'm missing a dozen or so.

Ah -- so a bunch from 20 years ago and a few from 10+ years ago?

That's awfully confidence-inspiring when the last 15 or so "elite" talents all either busted out -- or transferred.

Political Hack
05-08-2014, 06:40 PM
See Bost, Jarvis Varnado, Lawrence Roberts, etc...

10 years is wrong. the last 2-3 years I would've agreed with you. Either way, he brought a lot of elite talent to MSU during his tenure. Not sure why anyone would think otherwise with him at A&M?

Raytoraid83
05-08-2014, 06:43 PM
I think Meo was married to Engie and Coach34 in another life

Homedawg
05-08-2014, 09:26 PM

I don't have any doubt he can lure talent to a&m. What I said was he wasn't getting an elite from 14 class. But what do I know, coastdog has been reading up and found out there are elite guys left***

Coach34
05-08-2014, 09:39 PM
You ****ers lay off Dawggeezer...Grandpaw now has a reason to live again

mcdawg
05-08-2014, 10:14 PM
Ah -- so a bunch from 20 years ago and a few from 10+ years ago?

That's awfully confidence-inspiring when the last 15 or so "elite" talents all either busted out -- or transferred.

I don't know why I even looked at this thread as long as "engie" is around. What an ass in my book. How about Barry Stewart, Jarvis Vanardo, Ravern Johnson, Arnett Moultrie, Dee Bost? Jarvis, Arnett, and Dee are better than any player we will see on our team in a while. And Ravern/Barry could beat every player on our team in a game of horse while spotting them HORS. And, when was the last time we have had a decent crowd at a State basketball game?

tcdog70
05-09-2014, 10:22 AM
See Bost, Jarvis Varnado, Lawrence Roberts, etc...

10 years is wrong. the last 2-3 years I would've agreed with you. Either way, he brought a lot of elite talent to MSU during his tenure. Not sure why anyone would think otherwise with him at A&M?

Jamont, Charles Rhodes and Dee were -ALL-SEC and Moultre is in the NBA system.

smootness
05-09-2014, 10:32 AM

I agree with you. But what I said wasn't a disclaimer. I was just providing all of my current thoughts on Stans. It wasn't to keep from getting bashed by 'Stans haters'; it was so I didn't have people jumping in to agree and say we should have kept him.

I also hope we can one day discuss Ray or the current state of our program without insinuating that we never should have gotten rid of Stans. Check out mcdawg's post a couple ahead of me - how is that better than stating that it was time for Stans to go?

MadDawg
05-09-2014, 10:41 AM
I agree with you. But what I said wasn't a disclaimer. I was just providing all of my current thoughts on Stans. It wasn't to keep from getting bashed by 'Stans haters'; it was so I didn't have people jumping in to agree and say we should have kept him.

I also hope we can one day discuss Ray or the current state of our program without insinuating that we never should have gotten rid of Stans. Check out mcdawg's post a couple ahead of me - how is that better than stating that it was time for Stans to go?

It's not. And I really didn't intend to call just you out with my comment.

tcdog70
05-09-2014, 10:48 AM

I have two separate trains of thought on our Basketball dilemma .

I personally thought it Stupid to fire Stans without giving Him another year to get out team back on track after the Sidney ****up. It was especially stupid to fire Him with out having a quality relacement.

Now On Rick Ray-I have seen nothing to make me feel like He can be a HC. He was left a shitty deal and He has proceeded to **** it up worse. He can't even figure out how to attack a 1-3-1. He can't recruit.

So what is it bout Him (other than He is not Stansbury) that people Like? I'm over the Stans deal, water under the bridge, It is now Ray time. He needs to step Up and be worth a **** or don't let the doorknob hit Him in the ASS.

I want MSU basketball to be a factor not a joke.

thf24
05-09-2014, 10:58 AM
I personally thought it Stupid to fire Stans without giving Him another year to get out team back on track after the Sidney ****up.

Sidney by himself wasn't the real problem. In fact, Sidney could be called a symptom of the real problem. If Sidney had been Stansbury's only problem during his final few years, I think there's a good chance he'd still be here.

engie
05-09-2014, 11:01 AM
I don't know why I even looked at this thread as long as "engie" is around. What an ass in my book. How about Barry Stewart, Jarvis Vanardo, Ravern Johnson, Arnett Moultrie, Dee Bost? Jarvis, Arnett, and Dee are better than any player we will see on our team in a while. And Ravern/Barry could beat every player on our team in a game of horse while spotting them HORS. And, when was the last time we have had a decent crowd at a State basketball game?

You are right. You shouldn't have clicked -- and then posterized yourself.

None of the players you listed were considered elite players coming out of highschool. You even listed 3 different 3*s in your assessment. And you are seriously using Ravern Johnson to prop up your ideal of an elite player?

My point is that the players that ALWAYS carried Stansbury teams were the workhorses. The workhorses were the guys that felt like they had something to prove. He quit getting those at the end. Period -- end of story. It was completely over when he ran Phil Turner off.

War Machine Dawg
05-09-2014, 12:01 PM
Sidney by himself wasn't the real problem. In fact, Sidney could be called a symptom of the real problem. If Sidney had been Stansbury's only problem during his final few years, I think there's a good chance he'd still be here.

Exactly. Don't know why this is so hard for some of our fans to grasp. Or perhaps it's that they do grasp it and can't admit it because then they'd have to admit how much Stands actually sucked at his job. And that isn't an option for a very vocal contingent of our fans.

smootness
05-09-2014, 01:02 PM
It was completely over when he ran Phil Turner off.

In hindsight, this blows me away. It shocked me at the time, but I rationalized it because I was still in the crowd that believed in Stans, wanted him to stay and succeed, and made some excuses for what was happening.

Things like kicking Elgin Bailey off the team while keeping Sidney and telling Turner to pack his bags are mind-boggling looking back.

Goat from MSU
05-09-2014, 01:14 PM
Smoot is correct that was the beginning of the end for Stans ,and the fact that on one knew where or had not talked to Bost.during the NBA draft that year ,which cost Bost sitting ballgames that basketball season .That was the year we could have use Turner and Bost early on . There might not had been a fight on the Islands had they been there. It is mind blowing things things people do not handle. Oh well....
In hindsight, this blows me away. It shocked me at the time, but I rationalized it because I was still in the crowd that believed in Stans, wanted him to stay and succeed, and made some excuses for what was happening.

Things like kicking Elgin Bailey off the team while keeping Sidney and telling Turner to pack his bags are mind-boggling looking back.

fishwater99
05-09-2014, 03:47 PM
Exactly. Don't know why this is so hard for some of our fans to grasp. Or perhaps it's that they do grasp it and can't admit it because then they'd have to admit how much Stands actually sucked at his job. And that isn't an option for a very vocal contingent of our fans.

Some people will never see the problem with Stans.
It all goes back to J-Money doing what he wanted without any repercussions.
We lost several really good players because of him, one of them was the Big East player of the year.
J-Money was an undersized power forward that wanted to play point guard and did b/c he had the goods on Stans.

War Machine Dawg
05-09-2014, 06:17 PM
We lost several really good players because of him, one of them was the Big East player of the year.
J-Money was an undersized power forward that wanted to play point guard and did b/c he had the goods on Stans.

It goes back to further than J-Money. The truth is that Stans caught lightning in a bottle from 02-04 when he had a bunch of very good, high character players who worked hard on their own. Before then and after then, he crapped out gambling on "talent." Plus, the way he recruited led to him being unable to discipline effectively, as we all know.

I also think there's a lot of truth to the idea that the Xavier loss changed Stans' philosophy, too. Prior to that, we were a team built on defense and rebounding. We'd play 2-3 big guys and just physically hammer teams in the post. After that game, we got smaller and Stans started recruiting a bunch of "shooters" who almost all sucked at shooting outside of Barry Stewart. Ben Hansbrough developed after leaving our program. Reggie Delk was a good shooter, but couldn't hit FTs and transferred. Rayvern was streaky. Rick started trying to get 5 guys who could carry a team on any particular night instead of developing a team, and it bit him in the ass.

drunkernhelldawg
05-09-2014, 09:28 PM

You really go down in my estimation with this post. What a rip-roaring statement of nothingness. Plus it starts a whole new debate that I thought we were trying to avoid replaying. This post makes me think you should limit your armchair coaching to football. You're okay at that.

I'm sure you don't care about my estimation, but I thought I'd let you know anyway.

tcdog70
05-10-2014, 09:09 AM

I think Jamont did probably piss Ben off. But he is not the reason He left.His Mother was the problem. He used the excuse no practice facility. By the way we have a great practice facility thanks to Stansbury and not our athletic dept.

Coach34
05-10-2014, 10:05 AM
By the way we have a great practice facility thanks to Stansbury and not our athletic dept.

I thinks its thanks to those 2 big donors

Political Hack
05-10-2014, 10:09 AM
Rick Ray 36%
Rick Stansbury 64%

cheewgumm
05-10-2014, 10:20 AM
#1. Get players

Can Ray do that? We'll see but if you can't do #1 it doesn't matter what else he can do.

Stans could do that. There is no dispute there.

What baffles my mind is that At the time Stan's was fired, EVERYONE said it was because we could not overcome mediocrity.

Our athletic dept may( or may not) have fired him because our program was " dysfunctional" but none( or not many) of
Our fans were saying
That.

Now, they all say that was the reason, because they see ray may be mediocre.

whatever
05-10-2014, 10:53 AM
#1. Get players

Can Ray do that? We'll see but if you can't do #1 it doesn't matter what else he can do.

Stans could do that. There is no dispute there.

What baffles my mind is that At the time Stan's was fired, EVERYONE said it was because we could not overcome mediocrity.

Our athletic dept may( or may not) have fired him because our program was " dysfunctional" but none( or not many) of
Our fans were saying
That.

Now, they all say that was the reason, because they see ray may be mediocre.

Underrated post... the C34 and 7 dwarfs narrative for years is that we needed to get rid of him because we couldn't get to the Sweet 16, because we wanted to take a chance on increasing our ceiling.

Now that everyone's realized that it's a real possibility that we've lowered our ceiling, while also making our floor much lower in the process, they're changing the Stans narrative to "he needed to go because of his lack of discipline."

It's funny to hear c34 say now that "Stans didn't get fired b/c of his lack of success," when that was all he harped on for years. I think one of the reasons all of the Stans haters are being even more vocal now against him is because they realize it's a possibility that we might not ever be a consistent NCAA tourney type program and they're scrambling to defend that they were still right.

Coach34
05-10-2014, 12:05 PM
Do ya'll really want me to go all Engie on you and link about 50 posts from Sixpack where we all talked about:

1. Players calling out Stands on twiter
2. Lack of discipline
3. Lack of a strength program
4. Drug problems

Too many people have selective memories around here. The only realization many of us have right now is that Stands left RR a steaming pile of monkey turds. Now that RR has had a couple of years to rebuild- it's time for him to start taking some steps forward

tcdog70
05-10-2014, 12:34 PM
Never got the strength program bitch. under Stans we were usually a great rebounding team who played good defense. Now we have this great strength program under Ray and get maybe ten rebounds a games and get pushed around like a bunch of pussies.

mic
05-10-2014, 12:38 PM
Never got the strength program bitch. under Stans we were usually a great rebounding team who played good defense. Now we have this great strength program under Ray and get maybe ten rebounds a games and get pushed around like a bunch of pussies.

Ask the strength coach himself if you want this answered.. and It might not be the answer you are hoping for..

War Machine Dawg
05-10-2014, 12:47 PM
Ask the strength coach himself if you want this answered.. and It might not the answer you are hoping for..

Exactly. Name just 1 player in Stans' tenure that significantly changed his body while he was here. Spoiler: None did.

Coach34
05-10-2014, 12:53 PM
Never got the strength program bitch. under Stans we were usually a great rebounding team who played good defense.

Strength program makes bigger, stronger, faster...helps you to be in better shape and avoid injuries...it also teaches mental toughness

We had players that never got close to being the players they could have been with some harder work in the strength program. You look at them and see what they did- many of us look at them and see what they could have been. You cant have a team culture where the ones that want to work hard do- and the ones that dont are allowed to tell the strength coach they dont want to- and then Stands backs the player instead of the SC.

Stands did P90X with Sidney in an attempt to try and get him to just do something- instead of telling him to get his fatass in the weightroom and do what he is told or get gone. And that is just one of the last examples of things like that that went on over the years

I seen it dawg
05-10-2014, 01:17 PM
Exactly. Name just 1 player in Stans' tenure that significantly changed his body while he was here. Spoiler: None did.

That's where you're wrong....Sidney got fatter

War Machine Dawg
05-10-2014, 02:23 PM
That's where you're wrong....Sidney got fatter

Well played.

TheRef
05-10-2014, 02:33 PM
Sidney had his own gravitational field by the time he left.

shannondawg
05-10-2014, 04:09 PM
We got the same strength coach now? What happened? Ray kick him in the ass to make him do his job?

drunkernhelldawg
05-10-2014, 05:10 PM
Disappointing that the thread has devolved to the same ol' shit. Play on, well or otherwise.

mic
05-10-2014, 05:38 PM
We got the same strength coach now? What happened? Ray kick him in the ass to make him do his job?

RR is letting him do his job... And not letting the players dictate what they will and wont do.

Coach34
05-10-2014, 06:27 PM

Rick Ray lets him do his job. If they dont want to do something, Ray tells them "tough shit, get your ass back in there and work"

Stands didnt let him do his job. If they didnt want to work, Stands would excuse them and tell the SC to not make them do it.

Big damn difference

shannondawg
05-10-2014, 07:46 PM
Rick Ray lets him do his job. If they dont want to do something, Ray tells them "tough shit, get your ass back in there and work"

Stands didnt let him do his job. If they didnt want to work, Stands would excuse them and tell the SC to not make them do it.

Big damn difference

That sounds like you are getting just one side of the story...Always 2, always..

Coach34
05-10-2014, 08:17 PM
That sounds like you are getting just one side of the story...Always 2, always..

ok- well mine comes from the SC...and I know he is alot happier now...when he says- "I'm allowed to do my job now"- I tend to believe him

coastdoglover
05-10-2014, 09:45 PM
Why should we be shocked about anything you say negatively about Rick. Can you just simply shut up and move on with Rick Ray. Geez, you are one obsessed individual.

ok- well mine comes from the SC...and I know he is alot happier now...when he says- "I'm allowed to do my job now"- I tend to believe him

Coach34
05-10-2014, 09:48 PM
Why should we be shocked about anything you say negatively about Rick.

Because:

A) There is negative stuff to say about Stands
B) The truth is the truth

Dawg61
05-11-2014, 12:18 AM

John Reik went from a newborn baby giraffe laying on the ground to developing his first miracle steps to slightly stand up before wobbling and falling back on his face when he attempted to run the floor. That's development.

shannondawg
05-11-2014, 06:09 AM
Hey we agree on something, Of course he is happy, he got to stay.

mcdawg
05-11-2014, 12:14 PM
You are right. You shouldn't have clicked -- and then posterized yourself.

None of the players you listed were considered elite players coming out of highschool. You even listed 3 different 3*s in your assessment. And you are seriously using Ravern Johnson to prop up your ideal of an elite player?

My point is that the players that ALWAYS carried Stansbury teams were the workhorses. The workhorses were the guys that felt like they had something to prove. He quit getting those at the end. Period -- end of story. It was completely over when he ran Phil Turner off.

So now you are saying that Jarvis, Dee, and Arnett were not elite players coming out of high school and our coaches developed 2 of them into NBA players? And Dee Bost is SO much better than any of our point guards that are on our team now - he must have developed. You cannot have it both ways - either they were good when they got here or developed. But, the initial debate was that we haven't had good players in many years - 2 of the 3 above play in the NBA. And, I mentioned Ravern and Barry because they could shoot - which nobody on our team can now.

All you try to do is win arguments and most of your debate is full of it. The bottom line in this argument is - we had good players in the past few years. See how long you have to wait to see another Jarvis or Arnett or even Bost. (Bost's replacement will playing against us on LSU's team.) Don't hold your breath waiting - never mind, please hold your breath so we don't have to read your posts anymore.

thf24
05-11-2014, 01:26 PM
So now you are saying that Jarvis, Dee, and Arnett were not elite players coming out of high school and our coaches developed 2 of them into NBA players? And Dee Bost is SO much better than any of our point guards that are on our team now - he must have developed. You cannot have it both ways - either they were good when they got here or developed. But, the initial debate was that we haven't had good players in many years - 2 of the 3 above play in the NBA. And, I mentioned Ravern and Barry because they could shoot - which nobody on our team can now.

Jarvis got better because he had a ton of raw talent and was a self-motivated, hard worker. Same with Dee, despite the fact that he was a huge source of locker room cancer. No one can definitively say Stansbury didn't have a hand in their development, but when you look at players like Ravern who lacked that self-motivation and didn't get a whole lot better during his college career, you can't fault people for wondering. And Moultire was still very raw going into the NBA. It was becoming apparent in SEC play in 2012 when his production dropped that he still didn't have much of a low post game; he was pretty much a 6'11" slasher. Bost made him look real good with all those dishes on cuts and alley-oops, which as I said, the better SEC teams started recognizing and shutting down.

I'm not going to say Stansbury couldn't develop players, because no one can really know for sure, but there is undeniable evidence indicating the possibility he wasn't great at it.

drunkernhelldawg
05-11-2014, 07:42 PM
Jarvis got better because he had a ton of raw talent and was a self-motivated, hard worker. Same with Dee, despite the fact that he was a huge source of locker room cancer. No one can definitively say Stansbury didn't have a hand in their development, but when you look at players like Ravern who lacked that self-motivation and didn't get a whole lot better during his college career, you can't fault people for wondering. And Moultire was still very raw going into the NBA. It was becoming apparent in SEC play in 2012 when his production dropped that he still didn't have much of a low post game; he was pretty much a 6'11" slasher. Bost made him look real good with all those dishes on cuts and alley-oops, which as I said, the better SEC teams started recognizing and shutting down.

I'm not going to say Stansbury couldn't develop players, because no one can really know for sure, but there is undeniable evidence indicating the possibility he wasn't great at it.

I don't know whether you've ever taught or coached. If you have, you will not argue with me when I say that nobody does anything worth a damn unless he or she is motivated. That's an ironclad rule that is never broken except by occasional accident.

engie
05-11-2014, 08:02 PM

All you try to do is win arguments and most of your debate is full of it. The bottom line in this argument is - we had good players in the past few years. See how long you have to wait to see another Jarvis or Arnett or even Bost. (Bost's replacement will playing against us on LSU's team.) Don't hold your breath waiting - never mind, please hold your breath so we don't have to read your posts anymore.

How many years since we made the tournament with all these "good players"?

None of those players were elite recruits -- which is what the initial argument was about that you went full retard and misrepresented -- and have continued to straw man the entire situation.

Keep going with the full retard though...

tcdog70
05-11-2014, 09:20 PM
If they were not elite recruits, then Stans did a hell of a jobs Coaching them up. Where as MSU under RS had a First team all Sec player several times. sometimes even two players on the First Team. I Believe He had the SeC Defensive player of the Year who set the all time record for blocked shots. Pretty damn skippy for not so elite talent.

thf24
05-11-2014, 10:48 PM
I don't know whether you've ever taught or coached. If you have, you will not argue with me when I say that nobody does anything worth a damn unless he or she is motivated. That's an ironclad rule that is never broken except by occasional accident.

I won't argue with what you've said there, but I'd say that there are varying degrees and extents of motivation. Also, there's a difference between willingness to be motivated and self-motivation. Ravern Johnson was obviously motivated enough in high school to work and translate his talent into 40% 3-point shooting in college. Similarly, Renardo Sidney was motivated enough in his earlier years to develop a wide enough range of skills and ability to warrant being ranked as the #1 recruit in the country at one point. That motivation apparently ended when they got to college, as Ravern didn't get any bigger or stronger despite having the frame to do so and access to college training facilities, or work on an inside game that would have made him a lottery pick; and Sidney... no need to go there. Jarvis and Dee, on the other hand, continued to improve, expanded their games, and put themselves in a position to play at the next level. Why did the former two stagnate and the latter two flourish in the same program? Like I said in my last post, there's no way of knowing for sure, but it would appear to me that Jarvis and Dee had the self-motivation characteristic, while Ravern and Sidney required an external motivator and didn't have one. Sidney even said so much in an interview with the CL; something to the effect of he wished he'd had someone to push him and keep him in line after leaving high school. Maybe Stansbury was/is a great developer of players who are willing to put in the work without being pushed, but he doesn't know how to provide that motivation for the ones who don't have it on their own.

Johnson85
05-12-2014, 08:22 AM
Now On Rick Ray-I have seen nothing to make me feel like He can be a HC. He was left a shitty deal and He has proceeded to **** it up worse. He can't even figure out how to attack a 1-3-1. He can't recruit.

So what is it bout Him (other than He is not Stansbury) that people Like? I'm over the Stans deal, water under the bridge, It is now Ray time. He needs to step Up and be worth a **** or don't let the doorknob hit Him in the ASS.

I want MSU basketball to be a factor not a joke.

Why would you not support the coach you have when you know he's going to get several years to turn around the dumpster fire? All we know so far is that he hasn't been perfect and has not done anything special in recruiting. That's concerning, but Mullen 17ed up his third year by not recruiting any decent OL and leaving us exposed. That wasn't an indication that he can't coach, it was an indication he 17ed up. The difference is that he wasn't left quite the dumpster fire that Ray was. He did have some raw materials, even if the team was completely bare in a few positions and overall poorly coached up to that point, so it was just a setback rather than a season killer. Ray needed to come in and shock people with recruiting to make a difference this early and he didn't do it, and with the shape the program was in, it was a season killer. We'll see after this year whether he has put together a team that is at least competitive. If he can't compete for an NIT bid with his recruits so far, then we'll know a lot more about him.

Johnson85
05-12-2014, 08:30 AM
Underrated post... the C34 and 7 dwarfs narrative for years is that we needed to get rid of him because we couldn't get to the Sweet 16, because we wanted to take a chance on increasing our ceiling.

Now that everyone's realized that it's a real possibility that we've lowered our ceiling, while also making our floor much lower in the process, they're changing the Stans narrative to "he needed to go because of his lack of discipline."

It's funny to hear c34 say now that "Stans didn't get fired b/c of his lack of success," when that was all he harped on for years. I think one of the reasons all of the Stans haters are being even more vocal now against him is because they realize it's a possibility that we might not ever be a consistent NCAA tourney type program and they're scrambling to defend that they were still right.

They were still right. Everybody with a brain knew chances were slim that we would get somebody to match Stansbury's peak and at best even to match his post peak teams prior to the dumpster fire, but we didn't have the option of getting Stansbury at his peak and it was highly questionable whether he could even put out the dumpster fire. We had a bunch of average and better than average players made below average by character problems, and the ability to discipline them was compromised. We were in a shitty position and complicated it by hiring a new coach without any apparent recruiting ties in the SEC, although maybe the situation was viewed as toxic by the better candidates at that point.

I'm a Stansbury fan and am glad he's getting another good job and think that he could be a pretty good coach again in the right situation, but I don't think there's anyway he could have turned it around at State. He couldn't have gotten his current players to change and he probably couldn't have jettisoned them either without repercussions.

Johnson85
05-12-2014, 08:31 AM

Used to be great rebounding teams with good defense. Unfortunately we got away from that identity.

tcdog70
05-12-2014, 09:42 AM
Used to be great rebounding teams with good defense. Unfortunately we got away from that identity.

we still out rebounded teams, but Sidney played no defense. So yes our defense was Bad with RS. But , all the more reason to have given RS another Year to get back to basic. Even sorry ass stand in one spot RS out rebounded most on our current team.

tcdog70
05-12-2014, 09:46 AM
Why would you not support the coach you have when you know he's going to get several years to turn around the dumpster fire? All we know so far is that he hasn't been perfect and has not done anything special in recruiting. That's concerning, but Mullen 17ed up his third year by not recruiting any decent OL and leaving us exposed. That wasn't an indication that he can't coach, it was an indication he 17ed up. The difference is that he wasn't left quite the dumpster fire that Ray was. He did have some raw materials, even if the team was completely bare in a few positions and overall poorly coached up to that point, so it was just a setback rather than a season killer. Ray needed to come in and shock people with recruiting to make a difference this early and he didn't do it, and with the shape the program was in, it was a season killer. We'll see after this year whether he has put together a team that is at least competitive. If he can't compete for an NIT bid with his recruits so far, then we'll know a lot more about him.

I see where you are coming from but you still didn't answer my question? what is it you like about Rick Ray. What does His teams do that make you go WOW. I know they hustle, at least sometimes.

fishwater99
05-12-2014, 10:07 AM
I see where you are coming from but you still didn't answer my question? what is it you like about Rick Ray. What does His teams do that make you go WOW. I know they hustle, at least sometimes.

They play hard and have discipline. That's all I have seen from Ray, and it's just not enough to win games.

drunkernhelldawg
05-12-2014, 10:26 AM
I won't argue with what you've said there, but I'd say that there are varying degrees and extents of motivation. Also, there's a difference between willingness to be motivated and self-motivation. Ravern Johnson was obviously motivated enough in high school to work and translate his talent into 40% 3-point shooting in college. Similarly, Renardo Sidney was motivated enough in his earlier years to develop a wide enough range of skills and ability to warrant being ranked as the #1 recruit in the country at one point. That motivation apparently ended when they got to college, as Ravern didn't get any bigger or stronger despite having the frame to do so and access to college training facilities, or work on an inside game that would have made him a lottery pick; and Sidney... no need to go there. Jarvis and Dee, on the other hand, continued to improve, expanded their games, and put themselves in a position to play at the next level. Why did the former two stagnate and the latter two flourish in the same program? Like I said in my last post, there's no way of knowing for sure, but it would appear to me that Jarvis and Dee had the self-motivation characteristic, while Ravern and Sidney required an external motivator and didn't have one. Sidney even said so much in an interview with the CL; something to the effect of he wished he'd had someone to push him and keep him in line after leaving high school. Maybe Stansbury was/is a great developer of players who are willing to put in the work without being pushed, but he doesn't know how to provide that motivation for the ones who don't have it on their own.

It's a cliche, but attitude really is the most important factor. It's hard to succeed at a high level. Few are strong enough to give 100 percent all the time, but the great ones do it more often than not. Sidney did start to play with motivation toward the end of that last season, but he never got past the stage in which one bad play or bad call, or even hearing or reading the wrong thing, put his motivation in reverse. I have some sympathy for him as he did have to deal with more negativity that just about any Bulldog I can think of in our history.
That's one reason I refrain from criticizing Coach Ray and our current team; overcoming the negativity being thrown at them is so difficult that success is almost impossible. That's one place where Coach34 is right; we need to be cheering our team and appreciating the sacrifices that our student-athletes make. We've got enough micro managers already.

tcdog70
05-12-2014, 10:49 AM
It's a cliche, but attitude really is the most important factor. It's hard to succeed at a high level. Few are strong enough to give 100 percent all the time, but the great ones do it more often than not. Sidney did start to play with motivation toward the end of that last season, but he never got past the stage in which one bad play or bad call, or even hearing or reading the wrong thing, put his motivation in reverse. I have some sympathy for him as he did have to deal with more negativity that just about any Bulldog I can think of in our history.
That's one reason I refrain from criticizing Coach Ray and our current team; overcoming the negativity being thrown at them is so difficult that success is almost impossible. That's one place where Coach34 is right; we need to be cheering our team and appreciating the sacrifices that our student-athletes make. We've got enough micro managers already.

I'll agree--we all need to cheerleaders like 34****

tcdog70
05-12-2014, 10:52 AM

I thought RS had John Lucas as His motivator.

Johnson85
05-12-2014, 11:10 AM

He's our coach, our teams hustle, we've done some good things on defense that make me think he will be good with switching up defenses once he gets better personnel. The truth is I'm not particularly optimistic. I think he was basically put into an impossible situation with the roster he had and trying to recruit in a region he hasn't spent much time in, and without the full support of our juicy jumbo men. If he doesn't get Newman, I think he'll run out of time before he can build the talent up to where it needs to be. That said, it's hard to judge his coaching ability because he has been so far behind the 8 ball talentwise (I really hope the way we attacked UM's 1-3-1 in the SEC tourney was a result of exhaustion and a lack of outside shooters b/c otherwise we actually downgraded w/r/t Stansbury's biggest weakness, zone offense). Hopefully there won't be any surprises this year as far as upper classmen transferring/refusing to play and key players suffering injuries, and we'll be able to judge how his players execute.

But I get that there hasn't been a lot to wow anybody. I just don't get why people are dogging him now. We have him for another year regardless and whatever signs their have been positive or negative, we really won't have enough information to fairly judge him until we see him with this year's team. So might as well be supportive until then.