PDA

View Full Version : More unwarrented OM love!

Bullmutt
05-07-2014, 12:39 PM
I read the "most excited fan bases for 2014" article that Beastman linked under his "Dak hype tracker" piece on 3rd and 57 and was surprised at the love given OM by SDS. While they threw some kudos our way as well, I found it pretty insulting that they mentioned OM as being "key" games for Auburn and Alabama this year while omitting us from that list. That was pretty telling as to how much respect they have for us vs. OM. It amazes me how many of these "reporters" aren't willing to do alittle heavy-lifting research before hanging their asses out in print. Hopefully, we'll have the pleasure of seeing a lot of these bastards eat crow after the season. I'm sure there a lot more of them than just SDS.

Radddawg
05-07-2014, 12:52 PM
My favorite song is "I Saw Red" by Warrent.

BulldogBear
05-07-2014, 12:53 PM
My mind yin yang's on this kind of stuff. While I don't "appreciate" the media treating Bears like they are one of the SEC 'big boys" which they are sooooo not, I also keep feeling like the more they are put on a pedestal and the more we are treated like "aren't they cute," the more it's going to help us on the field this season.

spiritual_machine2005
05-07-2014, 12:58 PM
I hate to say it...but until we beat a bama/lsu/auburn/tama we will not get any respect from the national media. That ship sailed after the hype of a 7-0 start to the 2012 season. I believe they will eat crow after this season. But we have to prove it on the field first.

Joe Schmedlap
05-07-2014, 01:06 PM
My favorite song is "I Saw Red" by Warrent.

I thought Warrent sang "I seen read"

starkvegasdawg
05-07-2014, 01:19 PM

He just had a secret "Down at Uncle Tom's Cabin".

EAVdog
05-07-2014, 01:53 PM
It's the Offseason OM is going to be over hyped. It would not be the Offseason otherwise.

Every article naming OM as a dark horse all include something like "one year after the great recruiting class" or "Freeze has recruited some great young talent". There is little depth to the observation. I'm not trying to dog Ole Miss or Freeze. But if/when anyone does a real in-depth research into their entire roster they will see the real problem. Their starting OL and OL depth is too think to seriously compete in the SEC.

BeastMan
05-07-2014, 02:11 PM
There is a flip-side to most of the blogs that try to be regional or national brands. They regularly do what I call "hype articles" which is basically a sunshine, best case scenario piece and they do them for everyone. Why? B/c these articles get plastered on team message boards and garner a lot of site traffic. They also do the opposite sometimes. Right something overly negative to get that same traffic. But they do that less b/c it alienates some readers. Moral of the story: take everything grain of salt

Coach34
05-07-2014, 02:31 PM

lol...I needed that laugh

smootness
05-07-2014, 03:29 PM
I read the "most excited fan bases for 2014" article that Beastman linked under his "Dak hype tracker" piece on 3rd and 57 and was surprised at the love given OM by SDS. While they threw some kudos our way as well, I found it pretty insulting that they mentioned OM as being "key" games for Auburn and Alabama this year while omitting us from that list. That was pretty telling as to how much respect they have for us vs. OM. It amazes me how many of these "reporters" aren't willing to do alittle heavy-lifting research before hanging their asses out in print. Hopefully, we'll have the pleasure of seeing a lot of these bastards eat crow after the season. I'm sure there a lot more of them than just SDS.

We just need to accept that Ole Miss will be ranked preseason and we won't be. And if a couple of publications rank a team, everyone will follow, and a consensus will develop that publications like this use as a default.

If a couple of major publications put out a 'way too early top 25' after last year that included Arkansas, everyone would have jumped on that bandwagon...just the way it goes.

Johnson85
05-07-2014, 03:54 PM
Their starting OL and OL depth is too think to seriously compete in the SEC.

It's funny that Freeze (barring a miraculous run in avoiding injuries) is going to be messed up in his third year by OL just like Mullen was. I guess not that surprising since that's probably the hardest thing to evaluate and recruit, but with all the emphasis they put on recruiting, I would have expected them to load up on some JUCO OL in both of his first two classes. Don't guess you can fault him for thinking he was set at both OT positions.