PDA

View Full Version : When Weather Changed MSU History

TheRef
05-07-2014, 08:15 AM
Well in place of my midweek game forecast, I decided to write a nice little article bringing us down memory lane about two MSU sporting events that were greatly affected by our good friend Mother Nature. If you have any suggestions for any other sporting events that were affected by weather, reply back on here for message me on twitter. If not, then just read it and enjoy it.

http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/05/07/weather-changed-msu-history/

slickdawg
05-07-2014, 08:29 AM
Lets see, I think it was in 2000, we had just beaten Alabama for JWS to become the all time winning coach at State on a beautiful fall afternoon. One week later, Arkansas comes to town and there's a winter storm warning - freezing rain, sleet, snow, it was terrible. Pig Prather slipped and tore an ACL, the very reliable Scott Westerfield missed two field goals that would have won the game. Weather killed us in that game.

starkvegasdawg
05-07-2014, 08:35 AM
There was the Troy football game that had tornado warnings issued during the game and enough water on the field that you could ski. The baseball game that never was due to a half inch of snow and the other team blowing town that morning. I know it was some Podunk team from LA but forget which one.

Quaoarsking
05-07-2014, 08:58 AM
A sleetstorm may have cost us the game against Arkansas in 2000. We were also in the driver's seat to win the West at the time, although we did lose to Ole Miss anyway ths next week.

Entodawg
05-07-2014, 09:08 AM
Our first baseball game this year

LiterallyPolice
05-07-2014, 10:27 AM
There was the Troy football game that had tornado warnings issued during the game and enough water on the field that you could ski. The baseball game that never was due to a half inch of snow and the other team blowing town that morning. I know it was some Podunk team from LA but forget which one.

Wasn't the Troy game homecoming? And didn't we lose?

If I am remembering incorrectly.... it's because I've tried to repress my memories of this time period.

M.Fillmore
05-07-2014, 10:41 AM
Nice article but I prefer to call the Artie Cosby kick the 'satanic deflection'. I don't blame that one on God.

starkvegasdawg
05-07-2014, 11:12 AM

If I am remembering incorrectly.... it's because I've tried to repress my memories of this time period.
I think you are right on both counts. Wanting to say that was the game we fumbled four times down in the red zone.

Tbonewannabe
05-07-2014, 11:45 AM
Lets see, I think it was in 2000, we had just beaten Alabama for JWS to become the all time winning coach at State on a beautiful fall afternoon. One week later, Arkansas comes to town and there's a winter storm warning - freezing rain, sleet, snow, it was terrible. Pig Prather slipped and tore an ACL, the very reliable Scott Westerfield missed two field goals that would have won the game. Weather killed us in that game.

If I remember correctly Dicenzo (on a sprained ankle) caught a pass that got us in fg range in the final minute. We set up to kick and the refs refused to give us a dry ball to kick and of course the snap or hold was bad.

tcdog70
05-07-2014, 11:46 AM

they cleared out the Stadium, but I hid up in the chairbacks and ate pizza and watched the Rebs on TV--till the game resumed

tcdog70
05-07-2014, 11:48 AM
What about the "Night They let The Riff Raff in?"--Big snow storm and we beat Wimp and the Tiders in the HUMP.. Drove My 4 wheel drive to the Game.

Buddy
05-07-2014, 11:49 AM
I think you are right on both counts. Wanting to say that was the game we fumbled four times down in the red zone.

I think the game where we fumbled 4 times in the red zone was the Maine game. Unfortunately, I was at both the Troy and Maine games.

Tbonewannabe
05-07-2014, 11:51 AM
The Troy game also seemed to be what started the downward spiral. It was a monsoon and the most rain I have ever sat through. Huddling under the stands during the tornado siren going off was interesting.

War Machine Dawg
05-07-2014, 02:47 PM

Literally the most miserable game I've ever been to. That was the day the wheels came off for The Kang. It got nothing but worse from there.

thunderclap
05-07-2014, 04:37 PM
Literally the most miserable game I've ever been to. That was the day the wheels came off for The Kang. It got nothing but worse from there.

Amen. That was the beginning of the end. Just miserable all the way around.

Tbonewannabe
05-08-2014, 08:57 AM

Sitting through that sleet and then losing in OT was miserable. A lot worse than the Snow Bowl.