PDA

View Full Version : Todd, saw a good one tonight in Prep's

Harrydawg
05-06-2014, 09:26 PM
Noah Hughes....Butch was there watching as well.

I assume he'll pitch at State? Word is also that UGA is courting G. Woods.

Todd4State
05-06-2014, 09:35 PM
I was close to swinging by there to catch the game. I had to work a little bit late.

I think there is a very good chance that Hughes comes to MSU. He's going to be solid.

For those who don't know, you're talking about Gene Wood who is hitting over .500 with 5 home runs for Prep. I am hoping that we land him because I think he is a legit talent and he's a LH bat. Hopefully his teammates talk him into joining them at MSU. I may be totally mistaken- but I think his Dad went to Baylor, so I'm not sure about his allegiances. Georgia is probably tired of us taking guys like Adam Frazier and Ryan Girdley.

Last I saw, Prep was winning 6-2, and I'm guessing they play MRA in Madison at Coach34 Field?

M.Fillmore
05-06-2014, 09:40 PM
I have known Noah and his dad since for many years. Good people and a good pitcher. I'm hopeful Noah will be very good for us.

I also know Ford Axtell (missed this year with Tommy John surgery). His surgery went very well and the elbow is rehabbing very well. Ford is on our radar and we are definitely on his radar.

Gene Woods dad played football at Baylor. Another good character kid.

Harrydawg
05-06-2014, 09:42 PM
Yep, Prep beat MRA 12-2 or so....I thought Noah was committed to State (I know Mangum is)....

I saw Gene at State's baseball camp in February - he is smooth and athletic....

Todd4State
05-06-2014, 09:58 PM
As far as Axtell, I'm not saying that we'll take him for sure- but Butch has shown that he is not afraid to take a chance on kids that have had an injury. See Andrew Mahoney in our current class.

Also- there is a kid in Morton named Luke Craig that looks like a corner INF/OF guy that is 6'2" and is a junior who was putting up some big numbers. I'm hoping we give him a look.

Todd4State
05-06-2014, 09:59 PM
Yep, Prep beat MRA 12-2 or so....I thought Noah was committed to State (I know Mangum is)....

I saw Gene at State's baseball camp in February - he is smooth and athletic....

Gene also plays QB for Prep- and Cohen likes players who played football in HS.

MadisonDawg
05-06-2014, 11:36 PM
Speaking of us taking kids from Madison pitching wise, Spencer Turnbull got badly overlooked by us because they put all their marbles in getting Laxer. Turnbull would be tossing for us on the weekends now had we offered.

Will James
05-07-2014, 12:18 AM
Gene also plays QB for Prep- and Cohen likes players who played football in HS.

Makes sense, lots of our guys look like kickers.

whatever
05-07-2014, 11:07 AM
Speaking of us taking kids from Madison pitching wise, Spencer Turnbull got badly overlooked by us because they put all their marbles in getting Laxer. Turnbull would be tossing for us on the weekends now had we offered.

Spencer's mom went to Bama and is a HUGE Bama fan, so I'm not sure they would've chosen MSU anyway

MadisonDawg
05-07-2014, 11:21 AM
I met Spencer when he moved into my neighborhood when we were in middle school, he definitely would have considered it seriously if given the opportunity. He's told us that much.

CadaverDawg
05-07-2014, 11:22 AM
Speaking of high school baseball...can anybody give a rundown of who's left in the playoffs? Are the Madison's, Clinton's, NWR's, all in it this year?

WeWonItAll(Most)
05-07-2014, 12:06 PM
Speaking of high school baseball...can anybody give a rundown of who's left in the playoffs? Are the Madison's, Clinton's, NWR's, all in it this year?
NWR plays Desoto this weekend. Can't speak for the others

State82
05-07-2014, 12:10 PM

In 6A: NW Rankin/DeSoto Central
Columbus/Tupelo
Gulfport/Oak Grove
Petal/Brandon

Todd4State
05-07-2014, 04:21 PM
Makes sense, lots of our guys look like kickers.

Ironic comment from a poster who proclaims Cohen as "the recruiter".

Todd4State
05-07-2014, 04:28 PM

We didn't overlook Turnbull. We offered. He decided to go to Alabama. I would have loved to have had him- I thought he was better than Laxer was in high school to be honest with you. It would have taken a full scholarship to get him- and even then it may not have been enough.

We're not going to overlook anybody from Madison Central. They produce too much talent and we have too many allies in the baseball program there for that to happen.

Todd4State
05-07-2014, 04:31 PM

MC has a lot of turmoil right now. I'm sure that everyone involved is glad the season is over. They came very close to missing the playoffs altogether.

They will be back pretty soon though- but it may very well be an interesting off season.

Right now at the moment, I'd have to say Prep is the best team in the Metro area.

Todd4State
05-07-2014, 04:40 PM
And right on cue, Gene has a story on Gene Wood on Genespage.

Might be a coincidence.

shoeless joe
05-07-2014, 05:37 PM
The mangum kid also had ties to bama...his dad john played football there in the late 80s.

That whole group came up playing in select tournaments around Jackson that I used to call during the summer. That is a really talented age class of kids. John mangum coached a team from around the Rez somewhere and they were nearly unbeatable. Extremely competitive guy and if jake is like his dad I'm not surprised Cohen went after him. Very similar approaches to the game.

Funny side note: when that group was around 10 or so the catcher for their team was the younger Ladner girl from NWR and she was the best of the bunch.

M.Fillmore
05-07-2014, 08:11 PM
John mangum...Extremely competitive guy

If anything, this is an understatement. He always seemed to be a good guy to me but he is reeeeally competitive. Jake is a great kid and he should be a hoss player for us.

Todd4State
05-07-2014, 08:47 PM
The mangum kid also had ties to bama...his dad john played football there in the late 80s.

That whole group came up playing in select tournaments around Jackson that I used to call during the summer. That is a really talented age class of kids. John mangum coached a team from around the Rez somewhere and they were nearly unbeatable. Extremely competitive guy and if jake is like his dad I'm not surprised Cohen went after him. Very similar approaches to the game.

Funny side note: when that group was around 10 or so the catcher for their team was the younger Ladner girl from NWR and she was the best of the bunch.

I think Mangum may have coached Dale Burdick and Luke Alexander on one of their select teams as well at some point in time. I don't think it was one based out of Jackson though.

Harrydawg
05-07-2014, 09:25 PM
Prep comes to MRA tomorrow to decide things (play 2 if needed). MRA (like MC) was relatively young this year with only a couple of seniors playing - they will be much stronger next year (I think) as they are about to conduct try outs for the first time that I am aware of (just too many kids playing or wanting to play)....but Prep is young and strong with the lion share of ther talent coming back.

Chris Mangum told me that the pull of those kids that Jake played with (Dulins I thought) on the tourney team was stronger than the pull to play for Bama, so he flipped from The tide to State.

I'd like to see Magnolia Hieghts and Prep play a series - both for real.

Todd4State
05-07-2014, 09:36 PM
I'm pretty sure that Magnolia Heights played Prep last year and won. Riley Self and Dustin Skelton are going to be good players for us.

Goat Holder
05-08-2014, 04:58 PM
Turnbull's parents are Bams, if I remember correctly.

Goat Holder
05-08-2014, 04:59 PM
It appears that Red Victory/Victory Red/maftapcittac/etc whatever is perousing this site and this particular thread bothered him so badly that he called out Todd4State on sixpack:

http://forums.sixpackspeak.com/showthread.php?125372-Todd4State-saw-you-were-talking-about-Gene-Wood-at-Prep&p=999294#post999294

M.Fillmore
05-08-2014, 05:15 PM
The pancake rabbit opines on why anyone would leave the 6pack:

Kind of odd to switch teams at this juncture
At least for longtime posters. I mean nothing by that, I find Todd normally a rational poster, I just thought most would have decided which team they hit for by now.

edited to add: is this thread a response to a post made over there? Because if so i may have to call locksies on this one.

Hmmmm....the 6pack is an MSU board with a BearShark moderator and an MSU moderator who states that any MSU fan that posts historic facts, past and present, about Ole Miss will be banned.

I can't speak for Todd, but I would ask why would anyone stay over there?

Todd4State
05-08-2014, 06:55 PM
It appears that Red Victory/Victory Red/maftapcittac/etc whatever is perousing this site and this particular thread bothered him so badly that he called out Todd4State on sixpack:

http://forums.sixpackspeak.com/showthread.php?125372-Todd4State-saw-you-were-talking-about-Gene-Wood-at-Prep&p=999294#post999294

I think that's more about him not being able to post here as opposed to him calling me out.

It's kind of interesting though because I talked to someone about Wood and he also said that his family were big Ole Miss fans.

Our best shot at getting him is hoping that he wants to play with Mangum and Hughes or if he just likes Cohen.

Todd4State
05-08-2014, 06:57 PM
The pancake rabbit opines on why anyone would leave the 6pack:

Hmmmm....the 6pack is an MSU board with a BearShark moderator and an MSU moderator who states that any MSU fan that posts historic facts, past and present, about Ole Miss will be banned.

I can't speak for Todd, but I would ask why would anyone stay over there?

"Switch teams"? I don't have anything against sixpack at all. I just prefer to post here. We can all get along and be friendly.

I like the fact that Ole Miss fans are not allowed to spin their stuff over here.

State82
05-08-2014, 07:12 PM
"Switch teams"? I don't have anything against sixpack at all. I just prefer to post here. We can all get along and be friendly.

I like the fact that Ole Miss fans are not allowed to spin their stuff over here.

My sentiments exactly.

Harrydawg
05-09-2014, 10:04 AM
So Todd, we have offered Gene Wood a baseball scholly?

I did not think he had an offer yet but surely don't know.

SouthMsDawg
05-09-2014, 11:03 AM
2 Jackson Prep student not alone baseball players at State sounds like a ton, hoping for a 3rd seems like chancing it.

I joke, I joke. I do hear that like 80% of Preps sr classes go to Ole Miss.

Todd4State
05-09-2014, 05:39 PM
So Todd, we have offered Gene Wood a baseball scholly?

I did not think he had an offer yet but surely don't know.

Not yet. I think we will offer him this summer if I had to guess.

Todd4State
05-09-2014, 05:43 PM
2 Jackson Prep student not alone baseball players at State sounds like a ton, hoping for a 3rd seems like chancing it.

I joke, I joke. I do hear that like 80% of Preps sr classes go to Ole Miss.

It's probably not 80% if you look at the entire class as a whole. They send a good many students out of state. That said, they do send more students to Ole Miss than MSU typically. Northeast Jackson is pro- Ole Miss.

We have some allies associated with Prep. Their baseball coach is one of them. He's not going to steer a player towards us, but he's also not going to steer a player to another school either. He likes Cohen.

643DP
05-10-2014, 03:21 AM
MC has a lot of turmoil right now. I'm sure that everyone involved is glad the season is over. They came very close to missing the playoffs altogether.

They will be back pretty soon though- but it may very well be an interesting off season.

Right now at the moment, I'd have to say Prep is the best team in the Metro area.

MC lost it's top 3 players to injury: pitcher Ford Axtell (Jr) was one of the top 2 experienced pitchers returning and was being counted on heavily until he had TJ surgery last fall; Kyle O'Keefe (Sr) was the top returning player as SS/P and 3 hole hitter and missed entire season with back injury but did return healthy for final 2 playoff games and went 4 for 6 against Tupelo. Jr catcher Austin Lowther (dad played for Ron Polk) was another top hitter on the team and went down with a back injury mid season. Those 3 players were difference makers.

As for the best team in the metro area...NWR beat DeSoto Central tonite AT DC 7-5 in game 1 of their playoff series. NWis the top team in the metro area this year

643DP
05-10-2014, 03:38 AM
I would also add that Stacy Hester has done a great job at Brandon this year with a young and inexperienced team...they beat Petal tonite 10-9 in Game 1 of their playoff series....I have seen all of the better teams in the metro area play this year including tonite's NWR/DeSoto game and NWR is the best though in the metro area..6A baseball especially in the playoffs is Big Boy baseball