PDA

View Full Version : Dak Comparison question.. (Warning: OVERLY OPTIMISTIC EXPECTATIONS)

preachermatt83
05-06-2014, 09:06 PM
Ok, If Cam Newton had came to State, is it likely that we would have been in the hunt for a National Championship? Many believe so. Most believe we were just as talented as Auburn that year except for that one piece..

I personally believe that we are more talented this year overall than we were in 2010. If that is the case then if we had a "Cam Newton" type qb could we compete for a National Championship this year?

So I guess the question is can DAK be our CAM NEWTON type qb? I think yes. So, can we compete for a National Championship? I say.......YES!!

Todd4State
05-06-2014, 09:09 PM
I think we would have gone 12-1 with Cam losing to either Alabama or LSU, but we'll never really know. We definitely beat Auburn.

DawgSaint
05-06-2014, 09:10 PM
If there were ever a year to do it...this is it! I know it seems crazy to some, but which of you REALLY thought Auburn would be in title game last year?

Harrydawg
05-06-2014, 09:13 PM
Boy that 2010 team was LOADED with NFL talent......loaded, especially on the defense.

I could have coached that defense and I don't know shit (see Manny).

DawgSaint
05-06-2014, 09:19 PM
Boy that 2010 team was LOADED with NFL talent......loaded, especially on the defense.

I can still see that dropped pick six that would've beaten Auburn

Bothrops
05-06-2014, 09:22 PM
I think we would have gone to the Sugar Bowl if we had had Newton in 2010. We would have lost to one, if not both Bama and LSU. We were very talented that year.

smootness
05-06-2014, 09:33 PM

I think this defense has more pure talent. 2010 had Banks at CB but as a true sophomore, Cox, Wright, White, and Mitchell...very, very good. But personally, I'd take McKinney, Chris Jones, Wells, Preston Smith, Calhoun, and Nick James.

smootness
05-06-2014, 09:35 PM
I think we would have gone to the Sugar Bowl if we had had Newton in 2010. We would have lost to one, if not both Bama and LSU. We were very talented that year.

It's hard for me to see us losing any game. Cam Newton was that good; he single-handedly won several games by himself for Auburn, including the LSU game for them. He would have done similar things for us.

I think we need to hold off just a tad on comparing Dak to Cam Newton. I can't wait to see him as the full-time starter, but I consider Cam Newton to have had the single-most impressive season in the history of college football. He was literally unstoppable.

RossDawg82
05-06-2014, 09:36 PM
Newton is now starting to show you how good he really is. I think dak can get there but to compare them now I don't think it's close

Todd4State
05-06-2014, 09:39 PM
Newton is now starting to show you how good he really is. I think dak can get there but to compare them now I don't think it's close

Dak to me is totally different than Cam Newton. And not necessarily in bad ways.

State82
05-06-2014, 10:15 PM

This is what I believe also. We would not have won a NC but I think we would have only had 1 loss.

maroonmania
05-06-2014, 11:03 PM
This is what I believe also. We would not have won a NC but I think we would have only had 1 loss.

I believe as well we would have likely made a BCS bowl but not the championship game with Newton. Not because we wouldn't have been just as good as Auburn was in 2010 with Newton but because we would never have been as lucky as they were that year. The football gods would never let us get the breaks like Auburn got in 2010 or even moreso in 2013.

War Machine Dawg
05-07-2014, 12:04 AM
I can still see that dropped pick six that would've beaten Auburn

You and me both. Everyone talks about Berry's drops a few plays later, but Broomfield's drop was the real killer. Cam never saw him and hit him in the numbers.

Reason2succeed
05-07-2014, 01:33 AM
I don't like to speculate on the past. All I know is that this team is LOADED with talent. But talent doesn't mean jack if we don't put it into action on those Saturday afternoons. NCs take as much luck as anything else. State has the best chance since 98 & 99 to do something special. We must capitalize. Mullen must get over the hump and out coach Saban and Les Miles. If we can do that we have a chance. Of course when State dominates THE COMMITTEE will say that it's just a down year for the SEC and we will probably get snubbed but we must control what we can control which is winning on the field. Dak, this offense, and this defense could make us forget about all those years of almost.

RossDawg82
05-07-2014, 06:38 AM
I'm also excited about the leadership on this team. With the publicity Dak has gotten there will be no snubbing if he can produce. With his history, 3 star rating, and mother passing everyone will want him to succeed. He is a tv executives dream. He has WORKED his ass off to get to where he is today and the world wants to see someone like him succeed. I'm so excited because he is to the point where the game just looks easy to him now and I haven't seen that out of a MSU QB in a very long time. 10-2 is my prediction

DownwardDawg
05-07-2014, 07:01 AM
You and me both. Everyone talks about Berry's drops a few plays later, but Broomfield's drop was the real killer. Cam never saw him and hit him in the numbers.

^^^This^^^^ That's the one play that stands out in my mind when I think about that game. That was the ballgame right there.

EdDawg
05-07-2014, 07:54 AM
Our 2010 team was very talented where it counted, the O-line. This year's team may have more talent at the skill positions but does not touch the talent we had on the o-line in 2010.

thunderclap
05-07-2014, 08:13 AM
Our 2010 team was very talented where it counted, the O-line. This year's team may have more talent at the skill positions but does not touch the talent we had on the o-line in 2010.

Let's not forget a capable kicker in 2010.

CadaverDawg
05-07-2014, 08:33 AM
These last 2 guys ^^ nailed it...,

O-Line and Kicker. We needed Dak in 2010...we need the 2010 OLine and kicker in 2014.

jumbo
05-07-2014, 09:24 AM
I have no doubt we would have made it to the BCS championship with Cam. We had a much better defense than they did that year. 9-4 w/ Relf = 12-1 or 13-0 with Cam.

dawgs
05-07-2014, 09:30 AM
I don't like to speculate on the past. All I know is that this team is LOADED with talent. But talent doesn't mean jack if we don't put it into action on those Saturday afternoons. NCs take as much luck as anything else. State has the best chance since 98 & 99 to do something special. We must capitalize. Mullen must get over the hump and out coach Saban and Les Miles. If we can do that we have a chance. Of course when State dominates THE COMMITTEE will say that it's just a down year for the SEC and we will probably get snubbed but we must control what we can control which is winning on the field. Dak, this offense, and this defense could make us forget about all those years of almost.

If we win the sec with 1 L or an undefeated record, we'd be fine. How many major conference undefeateds do you expect?

Goat Holder
05-07-2014, 09:58 AM
Prescott is no Cam Newton. Put the crack pipe down. Nobody is Cam Newton, that guy was a once in a decade player. He literally made people forget about Tim freaking Tebow.

Goat Holder
05-07-2014, 10:13 AM
Let's compare the O-Lines...

2010:
LT - Derek Sherrod (NFL 1st rounder)
LG - Gabe Jackson (talented 2nd year player)
OC - J.C. Brignone (5th year senior)
RG - Quentin Saulsberry or Tobias Smith (4th/3rd year players)
RT - Addison Lawrence (4th year player)

2014:
LT - Blaine Clausell (5th year senior)
LG - Ben Beckwith (5th year senior)
OC - Dillon Day (5th year senior)
RG - Jamaal Clayborn (talented 2nd year player)
RT - Justin Malone (4th year player)

Both had a 2nd year player starting young, Jackson and Clayborn. 2014 has a tad more seniority, while 2010 has more top end talent. So yes, 2010 was obviously a better line, I don't think 2014 will be chopped liver though, especially if we get more improvement out of the seniors. Seniority is key on the OL.

CadaverDawg
05-07-2014, 10:19 AM
Prescott is no Cam Newton. Put the crack pipe down. Nobody is Cam Newton, that guy was a once in a decade player. He literally made people forget about Tim freaking Tebow.

And Manziel made people forget about Newton. I agree that I don't think Dak is a Tebow/Newton/Manziel type talent...but it's not like anyone thought there would be a Newton after Tebow, or a Manziel after Newton. Who knows, maybe there'll be a Prescott after Manziel?

smootness
05-07-2014, 10:20 AM
Prescott is no Cam Newton. Put the crack pipe down. Nobody is Cam Newton, that guy was a once in a generation player. He literally made people forget about Tim freaking Tebow.

FIFY, if not lifetime. He was truly beyond special in 2010. The only thing I've ever seen that was close to that was Michael Vick as a freshman. Those are the only two times I can remember a college football player truly putting an entire team on his back and carrying them to at least the national title game. Vick then almost single-handedly beat FSU in that game, had them up in the 2nd half before FSU's talent just became too much to overcome.

smootness
05-07-2014, 10:22 AM
And Manziel made people forget about Newton. I agree that I don't think Dak is a Tebow/Newton/Manziel type talent...but it's not like anyone thought there would be a Newton after Tebow, or a Manziel after Newton. Who knows, maybe there'll be a Prescott after Manziel?

Manziel was not Newton. He was hyped as much and put up similar numbers, but he wasn't the same player. Auburn's defense in 2010 was only marginally better than A&M's last year, and Newton simply won games by himself. In the new age of college football, it's going to seem like we have all the best QBs ever because of the numbers these offenses put up, but Newton was above all the rest. He would have been an unstoppable force in any era.

CadaverDawg
05-07-2014, 10:27 AM
Manziel was not Newton. He was hyped as much and put up similar numbers, but he wasn't the same player. Auburn's defense in 2010 was only marginally better than A&M's last year, and Newton simply won games by himself. In the new age of college football, it's going to seem like we have all the best QBs ever because of the numbers these offenses put up, but Newton was above all the rest. He would have been an unstoppable force in any era.

Didn't say Manziel was Newton. Different style, but similar impact on college football.
I agree that Newton was the best of those 3...but you're insane to say that Auburn's D was only marginally better than A&M's. A&M had to hope teams stopped themselves their D was so brutal. Auburn was bad defensively, but they had Fairley and weren't just awful.

Goat Holder
05-07-2014, 10:46 AM
I would agree that Manziel was up there. Hard to make the comparison because Auburn went 14-0 while A&M lost some games. But, in Manziel's defense, he dominated 2 years in a row to Newton's 1, and was damn near just as unstoppable. And yes, Auburn's D was better than A&M's. Manziel was faster and quicker than Newton, but he had to be to make up for the size.

But unfortunately, Prescott is in the mold of Tebow/Newton, not Manziel. Prescott is not as big as either of them, and has been hurt already before, where Tebow/Newton were nearly invincible at the college level.

As for the once in a decade type players, I just happen to think that they all played in close proximity to be a coincidence. How many years went by without a dominating player like that?

smootness
05-07-2014, 12:28 PM
As for the once in a decade type players, I just happen to think that they all played in close proximity to be a coincidence. How many years went by without a dominating player like that?

I think it has more to do with the fact that offenses are now dominating defenses throughout college football. We've never seen offense like this so of course comparing numbers to players in the past, the more recent guys will all seem better. But if offense is producing more across the board, obviously that means individual numbers will also increase.

You think Manziel would have dominated like this had he played in the early 90s? No, he would have been a DB or he would have ridden the bench as a QB.

smootness
05-07-2014, 12:30 PM
But unfortunately, Prescott is in the mold of Tebow/Newton, not Manziel. Prescott is not as big as either of them, and has been hurt already before, where Tebow/Newton were nearly invincible at the college level.

And on this, Prescott and Tebow are very similar in size. Tebow may be ever-so-slightly taller, but they are built the same; they're both much bigger than Manziel and nowhere near as big as Newton. I'm not sure what you mean by 'unfortunately'.

Prescott has just had the one injury and it was a pretty freak thing. I don't have any questions about his durability, he'll be fine.

Goat Holder
05-07-2014, 01:10 PM
Tebow played 4 years and never even slowed down. Prescott's already been injured. Prescott doesn't have the bull-rush that Tebow had....yet. If Tebow and Dak line up between the dummies, Tebow wins 8 out of 10 times. JMO. He might come out this fall more jacked up than ever, who knows.

Goat Holder
05-07-2014, 01:12 PM
I think it has more to do with the fact that offenses are now dominating defenses throughout college football. We've never seen offense like this so of course comparing numbers to players in the past, the more recent guys will all seem better. But if offense is producing more across the board, obviously that means individual numbers will also increase.

You think Manziel would have dominated like this had he played in the early 90s? No, he would have been a DB or he would have ridden the bench as a QB.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But Manziel/Newton/Tebow were unstoppable basically because they could throw better than everybody else AND run better than everyone else. In Manziel's case, he ran around and by people, Newton/Tebow ran over them. Those guys would succeed in ANY offense.

Joe Schmedlap
05-07-2014, 01:16 PM

I agree. Dak is good and may be great, but he is no Cam Newton.