PDA

View Full Version : If your TV provider does not carry the SEC network

Offshore Dawg
05-06-2014, 12:28 PM
What stations will probably carry sec games, do we have any options.

Political Hack
05-06-2014, 12:34 PM
switch. That's what I'll do. They have until July.

RiverCityDawg
05-06-2014, 12:36 PM

If you're in a major SEC market, you'll get it. Negotiations like this go down to the wire, but I would be shocked if DirectTV and every major cable provider in the south doesn't carry the SEC Network by late August.

MadDawg
05-06-2014, 12:37 PM
I really, really hope Comcast loses big in this deal. Pay them back for the damn monopoly on that CSS channel they had for years and years.

Jack Lambert
05-06-2014, 01:18 PM
All the big boys will carry it. Companies like Comcast is way too big for the SEC not too need them. They will carry it and I suspect any other large cable company will carry it as well. Everyone is working on it. I understand the SEC wants as much money they can get and the big cable companies want to save as much as they can. This will all be concluded by the end of July or first week of August. It's like the Blue Cross fight we had here in Mississippi. Comcast wil win the battle. The SEC needs the comcast subcribers just like all the hospitals needednthe Blue cross insures.. Just my opinion!

MadDawg
05-06-2014, 01:22 PM
All the big boys will carry it. Companies like Comcast is way too big for the SEC not too need them. They will carry it and I suspect any other large cable company will carry it as well. Everyone is working on it. I understand the SEC wants as much money they can get and the big cable companies want to save as much as they can. This will all be concluded by the end of July or first week of August. It's like the Blue Cross fight we had here in Mississippi. Comcast wil win the battle. The SEC needs the comcast subcribers just like all the hospitals needednthe Blue cross insures.. Just my opinion!

There is really no doubt Comcast will finally bite the bullet and pay the fees and add the channel. I just really hope they lose about a half million subscribers in the process. Would make me feel all gooey inside.

fishwater99
05-06-2014, 01:39 PM
Switch to Dish or U-verse..

You can get a $400 Visa when you sign up for U-verse...

shannondawg
05-06-2014, 02:06 PM
I am happy with my Directv, I am hoping they will sign on. If not, will reluctantly go to Dish..

chainedup_Dawg
05-06-2014, 02:27 PM
I am giving Direct until August 1st before there is a Dish van at my house. I recently tweeted Directv when the announcement hit about our opener with Southern MS and mentioned Dish. I immediately got a tweet from Dish customer service talking about twitter specials and "wanting to make a deal to get me to switch"

Maroons
05-06-2014, 02:44 PM
Can someone with Uverse give an overview of the pros and cons?

coastdoglover
05-06-2014, 03:09 PM
Cable one is not carrying it as of this date. If you have a Cable one account, you need to call them and tell them you are switching if they don't pick it up.

Can someone with Uverse give an overview of the pros and cons?

Original48
05-06-2014, 03:18 PM
There is really no doubt Comcast will finally bite the bullet and pay the fees and add the channel.
Comcast's big gamble is the date that constitutes 'finally'. My buddies and I are giving them to mid June. I'm not gonna get in a battle with tons of people needing techs to switch their service at the end of July, first of August.

Offshore Dawg
05-06-2014, 05:00 PM
Part of my question was. What can we watch if we don't have SEC network. Will the ESPN & CBS channels be blacked out. Who knows.

DawgSaint
05-06-2014, 05:07 PM
I can't understand why anybody would still be paying Comcast for cable tv....horrible, horrible service. However, the high speed internet seems to work great

DownwardDawg
05-06-2014, 06:04 PM
I can't understand why anybody would still be paying Comcast for cable tv....horrible, horrible service. However, the high speed internet seems to work great

Yep. I have DirectTv with Comcast internet. Best of both!

DownwardDawg
05-06-2014, 06:06 PM
I am happy with my Directv, I am hoping they will sign on. If not, will reluctantly go to Dish..

Me too. Switched from Dish to Direct years ago and am verry happy I did. However, I will switch in a second if Direct doesn't provide SEC network.

RiverCityDawg
05-07-2014, 05:36 AM
Part of my question was. What can we watch if we don't have SEC network. Will the ESPN & CBS channels be blacked out. Who knows.

Maybe online at WatchESPN since SEC Network is an ESPN station, but the games on the SECN will not be on other channel you can watch on your TV.

Jack Lambert
05-07-2014, 07:44 AM

I have been with the same cable provider since 1992. Comcast bought them out years ago but I have not had any problems with comcast. I am please with them and I am not worried about them not getting the SEC network. They have the biggest foot print in the country, Comcast knows it, the SEC knows it and the SEC network needs them. If they don't have it the first week I am good with that. I am going to be at the game anyways and will not watch tv on that saturday.

I seen it dawg
05-07-2014, 08:05 AM
On the Directv website...

We strongly believe every SEC fan should have access to the SEC Network on DIRECTV and customers can rest assured that is our goal as we continue our discussions with the owners of the channel. Contract talks happen on a different timetable with each TV provider, so unlike our competitors, we have really just begun our discussions and hope to have an update on status as we move closer to the network’s launch in August.

The Croom Diaries
05-07-2014, 08:22 AM

I can see that no one has answered your question so I will.

Here is a list of games that will be on SEC Network the first 4 weeks of the year: http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/NEWS/tabid/473/Article/250911/each-sec-team-on-sec-network-in-first-four-weeks.aspx

If you do not have SEC Network you will not be able to watch those games. All the others will be on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU or CBS. There will be 3 football games per Saturday on SEC Network - all the other games will be on channels you currently have.

Essentially what is happening is all the games that used to be on Jefferson Pilot/Raycom, Fox Sports Net and CSS will be on the SEC Network (which is why CSS is closing their doors).

You will not be able to watch the SEC Network games via ESPN3/WatchESPN app because the SEC Network will also have it's own digital platform similar to that...and your internet provider will need to carry the SEC Network for you to have access to it. So.....if your cable provider doesn't have the SEC Network but your internet provider does then you could still watch the games streaming, however, you likely won't get to watch the Finebuam simulcast in the afternoons*.

Offshore Dawg
05-07-2014, 04:23 PM

Here is a list of games that will be on SEC Network the first 4 weeks of the year: http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/NEWS/tabid/473/Article/250911/each-sec-team-on-sec-network-in-first-four-weeks.aspx

If you do not have SEC Network you will not be able to watch those games. All the others will be on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU or CBS. There will be 3 football games per Saturday on SEC Network - all the other games will be on channels you currently have.

Essentially what is happening is all the games that used to be on Jefferson Pilot/Raycom, Fox Sports Net and CSS will be on the SEC Network (which is why CSS is closing their doors).

You will not be able to watch the SEC Network games via ESPN3/WatchESPN app because the SEC Network will also have it's own digital platform similar to that...and your internet provider will need to carry the SEC Network for you to have access to it. So.....if your cable provider doesn't have the SEC Network but your internet provider does then you could still watch the games streaming, however, you likely won't get to watch the Finebuam simulcast in the afternoons*.
Will the dawgs be on TV for the UAB game t6he next week

Offshore Dawg
05-07-2014, 04:25 PM

Will the dawgs be on TV for the UAB game the next week

BulldogBear
05-07-2014, 05:43 PM
Will the dawgs be on TV for the UAB game the next week

Not on the SEC network so I'm kind of wondering if this one will get put on ESPNU

mparkerfd20
05-07-2014, 07:17 PM
As long as there is internet you will ALWAYS have access to games. Someone will stream it on Justin.tv or something similar.

engie
05-07-2014, 08:00 PM
Not on the SEC network so I'm kind of wondering if this one will get put on ESPNU

Can always be sold to fox as well for one of their sports platforms... or online only with the SECNetwork app...

Just because ESPN/the SEC own their tier 3 rights now doesn't mean that they can't/won't sell those rights for individual games when advantageous to do so. Now whether they will or not is another story...

engie
05-07-2014, 08:11 PM

Just to clarify --
While this is essentially true that those "rights" are what the SECNetwork is grabbing -- it definitely does not mean that the SECNetwork is going to be full with those tier 3/"mediocre" games. Past the CBS game, ESPN is free to pick and choose how they are placed -- and they are going to put games on the SECNetwork for MAXIMUM LEVERAGE in expanding it's footprint -- which will often be excellent games that would "normally" be the primetime game on ESPN. This can be clearly seen with the first couple of weeks of programming. That aTm/USCe game is the equivalent of what's traditionally on ESPN to kick off the season...and it's placed there for maximum impact on the largest market in the SEC(Texas)...

The Croom Diaries
05-08-2014, 09:19 AM
Just to clarify --
While this is essentially true that those "rights" are what the SECNetwork is grabbing -- it definitely does not mean that the SECNetwork is going to be full with those tier 3/"mediocre" games. Past the CBS game, ESPN is free to pick and choose how they are placed -- and they are going to put games on the SECNetwork for MAXIMUM LEVERAGE in expanding it's footprint -- which will often be excellent games that would "normally" be the primetime game on ESPN. This can be clearly seen with the first couple of weeks of programming. That aTm/USCe game is the equivalent of what's traditionally on ESPN to kick off the season...and it's placed there for maximum impact on the largest market in the SEC(Texas)...

You're right that they could sell their rights to a game to FSN or something, and that will probably happen for UAB or USA game....or other SEC games in the first month of the season when there are 11 or 12 of them because of all the non-conference games.

But once October hits you're looking at 6-7 SEC games per week. The 11:30 game will now be on SEC network, then there was always one game on FSN and usually a game on CSS when it was Georgia vs. App State or something. Those will be on SEC Network, while the others will be on 1. CBS 2. ESPN 3. ESPN2 4. ESPNU - that covers as many as seven games per week. And sometimes ESPN or ESPN2 carries two games in a week in case there are 8. I would be surprised if FSN is able to get their hands on more than one SEC game from October 1 to the end of the season.