PDA

View Full Version : Mettenberger failed drug test at combine

starkvegasdawg
05-06-2014, 07:09 AM
Article said that 10 players had positive tests. Half of them were from two schools...LSU and FSU.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10887737/2014-nfl-draft-zach-mettenberger-combine-urine-sample-diluted

msstate7
05-06-2014, 07:30 AM
If you can't clean up long enough to pass drug test for the nfl draft, then you have a serious drug problem IMO

MSUDawg4Life
05-06-2014, 07:46 AM
You have to be incredibly stupid to get busted at the combine. Even if you have a serious problem.

spudd21
05-06-2014, 07:49 AM
You have to stay clean, what, a month, to pass a piss test? These kids have to be pretty dumb to piss away millions.

Dawgface
05-06-2014, 07:52 AM
I wouldn't touch him in the draft. Maybe on the cheap as a free agent.

Sam&DeansDawg
05-06-2014, 07:52 AM
Looks like LSU and FSU may have partied together before the combine.. Unbelievable.

sandwolf
05-06-2014, 09:01 AM
If you can't clean up long enough to pass drug test for the nfl draft, then you have a serious drug problem IMO

That was my first thought as well.

So both Mettenberger and the DT from FSU are trying to claim that the test results are from drinking too much water. Does anyone know whether or not that is a plausible excuse? What else would result in a diluted test?

dawgs
05-06-2014, 09:22 AM
You have to stay clean, what, a month, to pass a piss test? These kids have to be pretty dumb to piss away millions.

Given how much they work out and sweat and high metabolism rates for major athletes, not even close to that long. Maybe 2 weeks.

dawgs
05-06-2014, 09:26 AM
That was my first thought as well.

So both Mettenberger and the DT from FSU are trying to claim that the test results are from drinking too much water. Does anyone know whether or not that is a plausible excuse? What else would result in a diluted test?

If could be. I've known a few people that get randomly drug tested for work who've had diluted samples because they drink a lot of water. Their doctors will probably send a statement about it and everyone will move along. I don't think the nfl cares about weed, I think they only care that someone's not committed enough or too dumb to not smoke weed for a couple of weeks when they 100% know a drug test is happening at the combine.

thf24
05-06-2014, 09:27 AM
Well shucks, I was hoping he'd get a look from the Titans to come in and compete with Locker. I guess there's nothing preventing that from happening still, but it doesn't seem like a good thing to already have a black mark on your record this early.

MzTerry
05-06-2014, 10:06 AM

that's not always true - but if its NOT true then the person is an avid smoker. I know of a person who went to prison for drug-related offenses and it took him over 70 days to pass a drug test. He had been smoking more than once a day for over 12 years. I know of another person who it took exactly 43 days and he had been smoking more than once a day for about 3 years. If mettenberger was smoking more than once a day for long enough of a period of time to need to be clean for over 30 days then it's no wonder why they continue to grossly underachieve.

MzTerry
05-06-2014, 10:11 AM
Weed is not water soluble. It is stored in fat cells (so being in shape DOES help, but sweating in general does not and drinking water doesn't help at all). The person I mentioned who took 43 days to get clean was very active. I honestly think in this case Mett smoked regularly his entire career. That's clearly the culture in college, especially in the SEC today, clearly the culture at LSU, and his play honestly reflects it in my opinion.

sandwolf
05-06-2014, 10:12 AM
If could be. I've known a few people that get randomly drug tested for work who've had diluted samples because they drink a lot of water. Their doctors will probably send a statement about it and everyone will move along.

You would think that it is pretty common for athletes to drink a ton of water, so why is a diluted sample considered to be a failed test by the NFL? Is it just assumed that the athlete must have been downing a shit load of water in order to flush the drugs from their system?

I don't think the nfl cares about weed, I think they only care that someone's not committed enough or too dumb to not smoke weed for a couple of weeks when they 100% know a drug test is happening at the combine.

Agreed.

Political Hack
05-06-2014, 10:36 AM
Given how much they work out and sweat and high metabolism rates for major athletes, not even close to that long. Maybe 2 weeks.

every person will be drastically different.

smootness
05-06-2014, 10:40 AM

Yup. I seriously doubt these players smoke more often than a lot of players. But they definitely are much dumber, and that is the primary red flag for NFL teams. It isn't, 'My goodness, he smokes weed!'; it's, 'if you can't understand the importance of this enough to do what it takes to pass this test you know is coming, how can we depend on you to do much of anything?'

dawgs
05-06-2014, 10:40 AM
Weed is not water soluble. It is stored in fat cells (so being in shape DOES help, but sweating in general does not and drinking water doesn't help at all). The person I mentioned who took 43 days to get clean was very active. I honestly think in this case Mett smoked regularly his entire career. That's clearly the culture in college, especially in the SEC today, clearly the culture at LSU, and his play honestly reflects it in my opinion.

Drinking a ton of water doesn't help get rid of the weed, it dilutes your pee to the point it's mostly water and can't be reliably tested.

Pollodawg
05-06-2014, 10:52 AM
Mettenberger was a good QB. I don't think it affected his play at all. I don't think it affects most college kids play to be honest. On his career, Mettenberger threw for 5,783 yards, 35tds and 15 ints. That's pretty darn good folks. Not to mention he helped lead the team to a 20-6 record.

dogshiek
05-06-2014, 10:55 AM
Maybe it was the corn dog effect......

MzTerry
05-06-2014, 11:12 AM
Mettenberger was a good QB. I don't think it affected his play at all. I don't think it affects most college kids play to be honest. On his career, Mettenberger threw for 5,783 yards, 35tds and 15 ints. That's pretty darn good folks. Not to mention he helped lead the team to a 20-6 record.

they had the talent to win the national championship and they werent even in the picture.

smootness
05-06-2014, 11:33 AM

And Jamarcus Russell's laziness and attitude didn't keep him from putting up big numbers and winning a lot of games at LSU.

Tebow's mechanics problems and accuracy issues didn't keep him from completing a lot of passes or putting up crazy numbers and winning national titles at Florida.

The NFL is different than college.

dawgs
05-06-2014, 12:50 PM
they had the talent to win the national championship and they werent even in the picture.

It wasn't really the offense's fault though. And they went 12-2. So while they weren't in the discussion at the end of the year, they were a clear top 10 team.

msstate7
05-06-2014, 01:08 PM
Wonder if ZM was under the influence or not vs us. He was the opposite vs OM

fishwater99
05-06-2014, 01:45 PM
He did not fail the test, his sample was diluted.
Did he do this on to try to get clean? Maybe, maybe not.
All he needs to do is take the test again or for any team wanting to draft him.
This happens all the time.

Cabo32
05-06-2014, 02:58 PM
Probably just weed. Guy kinda looks like a hippy. Don't think it'll hurt his status too much. He wasn't going to be a top pick anyways...

msstate7
05-06-2014, 03:09 PM
Qb is the position where this hurts the most IMO. Qb's pretty much have to live in the film room to succeed in the nfl. If you're out toking, I doubt seriously you're motivated enough to put in the work an nfl qb has to be successful.

Cabo32
05-06-2014, 03:20 PM
Ok grandpaw..it's just weed. Brett favre was one of the best qbs from the last 20 years and he's been hooked on pain meds, which actually have side effects that can cause one to not become motivated

msstate7
05-06-2014, 03:29 PM
Ok grandpaw..it's just weed. Brett favre was one of the best qbs from the last 20 years and he's been hooked on pain meds, which actually have side effects that can cause one to not become motivated
Guess I'm just old, grandson.
BTW, it would've probably been better if he just failed it for weed. Now gm's have to wonder if it was "just weed" or meth or cocaine or whatever

Cabo32
05-06-2014, 04:26 PM
His trainer is using the ol "he was drinking gallons of water a day because of his rehab" excuse...classic

HereComesTheSpiral
05-06-2014, 05:06 PM
It could have been steroids, hgh, etc. He did have an extensive knee reconstruction just a few months ago. Could have been weed, but the article only mentioned diluted piss so im not going to speculate.

Dawgcentral
05-06-2014, 06:15 PM
His trainer is using the ol "he was drinking gallons of water a day because of his rehab" excuse...classic

If you're trying to flush your system with something like Goldenseal, (which at one time was effective, not sure these days), you're going to drink tons of water to get the maximum effect.

Also, the one poster can call me grandpaw as well, but the expression "it's just weed", rubs me the wrong way also. Folks who use the stuff regularly are not maximizing their potential to say the least. And the truth is, nothing puts a kid's head on a desk like pot. I've seen too much of it. Now,..Get Off My Lawn :-)

dawgs
05-06-2014, 06:50 PM
If you're trying to flush your system with something like Goldenseal, (which at one time was effective, not sure these days), you're going to drink tons of water to get the maximum effect.

Also, the one poster can call me grandpaw as well, but the expression "it's just weed", rubs me the wrong way also. Folks who use the stuff regularly are not maximizing their potential to say the least. And the truth is, nothing puts a kid's head on a desk like pot. I've seen too much of it. Now,..Get Off My Lawn :-)

You can say the same thing about a lot of stuff that's 100% legal, like alcohol. Would any team have a problem if he'd just had a beer with dinner the night before and it showed up on his test? Doubtful since I don't think he actually worked out, just did the measurements, interviews, and what not.