PDA

View Full Version : Chad Girodo

messageboardsuperhero
05-06-2014, 07:03 AM
Girodo has now thrown 14 scoreless innings for his A+ ball team to start off the season. I expect him to move up to AA at some point this season, and it wouldn't totally shock me if he was in the bigs at some point next season.

I always felt like he'd be the first player from last year's team to make it up to the majors- a lefty like him could really help an MLB bullpen.

Buddy
05-06-2014, 07:09 AM
One of the most dramatic career turnarounds I've ever seen. Anybody think just 18 months ago that he'd still be playing baseball? No way. Check out the stats from his first 3 seasons in Starkville.

2012:
Made 11 relief appearances as a junior, fashioning an 0-1 record with a 5.87 earned run average • Tallied six strikeouts in 7.2 innings of pitching • Registered a season-high four strikeouts in 2.1 innings of relief work against Memphis (Feb. 29) and matched that season-high with 2.1 innings of work out of the bullpen at Southeastern Louisiana (Mar. 13) • Took the loss in that 4-3 setback against the Lions • Pitched in four SEC games (0-0, 9.00 ERA) and in two NCAA Tallahassee Regional games against Samford (June 1-3) • Among 17 Diamond Dogs named to the 2012 SEC Academic Honor Roll • Starred last summer out of the San Luis Obispo Blues' bullpen in the California Collegiate League, compiling a 1-0 record with a save, 44 strikeouts and a remarkable and team-best 0.99 ERA in 27.1 innings of relief.

2011:
Made 17 mound appearances as a sophomore, 16 in relief • Finished with a 3-0 record and a 5.76 earned run average • Tallied 29 strikeouts in 29.2 innings • Worked a season-longest 4.2 innings in an opening weekend start against Akron (Feb. 19) • Fanned a season-best five batters in 3.2 innings of relief work in MSU's 6-1 Governor's Cup Game victory over Ole Miss (Apr. 19) • Also had late-season four-strikeout showings at South Alabama (May 3) and at Ole Miss (May 14) • Appeared in 11 SEC games, picking up all three of his wins in league play at No. 1 Vanderbilt (Mar. 20), vs. No. 20 Auburn (Mar. 25), and at Ole Miss (May 12) • Carded a 3-0 record with a 3.86 ERA and 13 strikeouts in 11.2 innings • One of 14 Bulldogs named to the 2011 SEC Academic Honor Roll.

2010:
Took the hill for 19 pitching appearances as a freshman, including four starts • Posted a 2-3 record with a 7.40 earned run average and 28 strikeouts in 48.2 innings of mound duty • Made his collegiate debut with 4.0 innings of two-hit relief work and three strikeouts in a 6-5 win over UAB (Feb. 23) • Registered a season-longest relief appearance (5.1 innings) against Southeastern Louisiana (Feb. 27) • Made his first career start two appearances later against Michigan State (Mar. 6) • Also drew game-opening mound duty against Georgia (Mar. 28), Northwestern State (May 12) and at Southern Miss (May 18) • Notched his first career win with a two-inning, one-hit relief stint in State's 7-6 win over Memphis (Mar. 24) • Closed out his rookie campaign with an impressive complete-game win at Southern Miss (May 18) • Tallied a season-high six strikeouts in the win over the Golden Eagles • All three losses came against SEC foes - at Florida (Mar. 20), vs. Arkansas (Apr. 10) and vs. Ole Miss (May 2) • Carded an 0-3 worksheet with an 11.88 ERA in 10 SEC appearances • Made one start - vs. Georgia (Mar. 28) • Ranked third in innings pitched among MSU's seven freshman pitchers and fifth overall.

DownwardDawg
05-06-2014, 07:31 AM
One of the most dramatic career turnarounds I've ever seen. Anybody think just 18 months ago that he'd still be playing baseball? No way. Check out the stats from his first 3 seasons in Starkville.

2012:
Made 11 relief appearances as a junior, fashioning an 0-1 record with a 5.87 earned run average • Tallied six strikeouts in 7.2 innings of pitching • Registered a season-high four strikeouts in 2.1 innings of relief work against Memphis (Feb. 29) and matched that season-high with 2.1 innings of work out of the bullpen at Southeastern Louisiana (Mar. 13) • Took the loss in that 4-3 setback against the Lions • Pitched in four SEC games (0-0, 9.00 ERA) and in two NCAA Tallahassee Regional games against Samford (June 1-3) • Among 17 Diamond Dogs named to the 2012 SEC Academic Honor Roll • Starred last summer out of the San Luis Obispo Blues' bullpen in the California Collegiate League, compiling a 1-0 record with a save, 44 strikeouts and a remarkable and team-best 0.99 ERA in 27.1 innings of relief.

2011:
Made 17 mound appearances as a sophomore, 16 in relief • Finished with a 3-0 record and a 5.76 earned run average • Tallied 29 strikeouts in 29.2 innings • Worked a season-longest 4.2 innings in an opening weekend start against Akron (Feb. 19) • Fanned a season-best five batters in 3.2 innings of relief work in MSU's 6-1 Governor's Cup Game victory over Ole Miss (Apr. 19) • Also had late-season four-strikeout showings at South Alabama (May 3) and at Ole Miss (May 14) • Appeared in 11 SEC games, picking up all three of his wins in league play at No. 1 Vanderbilt (Mar. 20), vs. No. 20 Auburn (Mar. 25), and at Ole Miss (May 12) • Carded a 3-0 record with a 3.86 ERA and 13 strikeouts in 11.2 innings • One of 14 Bulldogs named to the 2011 SEC Academic Honor Roll.

2010:
Took the hill for 19 pitching appearances as a freshman, including four starts • Posted a 2-3 record with a 7.40 earned run average and 28 strikeouts in 48.2 innings of mound duty • Made his collegiate debut with 4.0 innings of two-hit relief work and three strikeouts in a 6-5 win over UAB (Feb. 23) • Registered a season-longest relief appearance (5.1 innings) against Southeastern Louisiana (Feb. 27) • Made his first career start two appearances later against Michigan State (Mar. 6) • Also drew game-opening mound duty against Georgia (Mar. 28), Northwestern State (May 12) and at Southern Miss (May 18) • Notched his first career win with a two-inning, one-hit relief stint in State's 7-6 win over Memphis (Mar. 24) • Closed out his rookie campaign with an impressive complete-game win at Southern Miss (May 18) • Tallied a season-high six strikeouts in the win over the Golden Eagles • All three losses came against SEC foes - at Florida (Mar. 20), vs. Arkansas (Apr. 10) and vs. Ole Miss (May 2) • Carded an 0-3 worksheet with an 11.88 ERA in 10 SEC appearances • Made one start - vs. Georgia (Mar. 28) • Ranked third in innings pitched among MSU's seven freshman pitchers and fifth overall.

Wow! Last year when he would enter the game most fans wondered WTF??? Myself included. I got nervous every time he came in. Good for him. It's great to see that he's gotten it going!

ETA: Maybe it was the year before last? Can't remember.

messageboardsuperhero
05-06-2014, 07:49 AM
Butch Thompson gets a lot of praise for Girodo's develpment (and deservedly so), but Chal Fanning deserves a ton of credit too- Chad was a different pitcher when he got back from San Luis Obispo the summer after his junior year.

Fitts has made a good jump since going there last summer as well. We should just send all our pitchers to Fanning and see what he can do.

BeardoMSU
05-06-2014, 08:24 AM
Wow! Last year when he would enter the game most fans wondered WTF??? Myself included. I got nervous every time he came in. Good for him. It's great to see that he's gotten it going!

ETA: Maybe it was the year before last? Can't remember.

Didn't he average like 10k's a game as a reliever for the 2nd half of last year?

SignalToNoise
05-06-2014, 08:35 AM
I remember sitting in the grandstand watching us play Vandy (I think) and we go to the bullpen, and I can remember me and my buddy saying "Please not Girodo please not Girodo please not Girodo SHIT!!!"

Well he worked his ass off apparently and I hope he gets a shot at the next level. He deserves it.

DownwardDawg
05-06-2014, 08:39 AM
Didn't he average like 10k's a game as a reliever for the 2nd half of last year?

Yeah, I'm terrible with timelines. I just remember that at one point he was terrible in relief. Then, it was like a switch got flipped. He went beast mode on us!!

messageboardsuperhero
05-06-2014, 08:43 AM

And as good as Girodo was last year, somehow Lindgren has been an even better version of that this year...

In 59.2 innings last year, Girodo had 12.37 K/9 innings.
Through 38 innings this year, Lindgren has 17.29 K/9 innings.

Love him or hate him, Will James was right about Lindgren when a lot of people here were writing him off as a bust last year. I still wish we could get more innings out of him somehow, but Lindgren is definitely better in short bursts.

Will James
05-06-2014, 09:29 AM
And as good as Girodo was last year, somehow Lindgren has been an even better version of that this year...

Love him or hate him, Will James was right about Lindgren when a lot of people here were writing him off as a bust last year. I still wish we could get more innings out of him somehow, but Lindgren is definitely better in short bursts.

FIP said Lindgren would explode this year. He leads the country in K/9.

BeardoMSU
05-06-2014, 09:39 AM

Wow, that's a good comparison. I will say though that last year Girodo seemed to pitch through trouble a little better than Lingo. When Jacob gets rattled he can unravel pretty quick. This past weekend was a good change from that trend though; him getting out of that bases loaded situation with no damage done was huge.

ShotgunDawg
05-06-2014, 09:44 AM

Lindgren may beat Girodo to the big leagues because Lindgren will go in the 2nd or 3rd round of this years draft, and teams don't draft a reliever that high unless they view him almost as a "free agent" type acquisition that they can get the big leagues quickly to solidify their bull-pen.

messageboardsuperhero
05-06-2014, 10:13 AM
Lindgren may beat Girodo to the big leagues because Lindgren will go in the 2nd or 3rd round of this years draft, and teams don't draft a reliever that high unless they view him almost as a "free agent" type acquisition that they can get the big leagues quickly to solidify their bull-pen.

Lindgren will be in an MLB bullpen at some point in 2015 season- there's almost no doubt in my mind about that.

If you look at our 2012 pitching staff, four of those guys will more than likely be pitching in the big leagues at some point (Stratton, Holder, Lindgren, and Girodo), and IF Graveman or Woodruff make it, that number could potentially be even higher.

smootness
05-06-2014, 10:30 AM
We need to ride Lindgren and Mitchell in the postseason this year much like we did with Girodo/Mitchell last year. Obviously it'll be a little different with Mitchell now starting, but we need to be quick to bring Lindgren in during important games. The only way we make a run is if our pitching gets hot like it did last year and carries us. I would use Lindgren/Mitchell/Fitts/Holder almost exclusively, at least as much as possible, from the regional on.

Todd4State
05-06-2014, 12:02 PM

Lindgren is better as a relief pitcher. A lot of the problem was we had him starting, and that's just not who he is. He will make a good living as a relief pitcher in MLB.

I think Girodo will have to spend at least another year in minor league baseball. He needs to show what he can do in AA first and then he will move on from there.

RAYn_Man
05-06-2014, 12:09 PM

Lingo has been a better version because HE IS a better version. He bumps 95 with movement and throws an 85-87 mph hammer...

Look up "Filthy" in the dictionary and there's a picture of Lingo.