PDA

View Full Version : Braves lose 7th in a row.

starkvegasdawg
05-05-2014, 09:28 PM
They usually wait until fall to do this.

Todd4State
05-05-2014, 09:29 PM
Well, they did play the Cardinals....**

msstate7
05-05-2014, 09:32 PM
Jup is absolutely horrible right now. Can't hit a fastball if his life depended on it. FG hits him in front of FF so he sees tons of fastballs. FG is an idiot...

shoeless joe
05-05-2014, 09:53 PM
Jup is absolutely horrible right now. Can't hit a fastball if his life depended on it. FG hits him in front of FF so he sees tons of fastballs. FG is an idiot...

So your saying J up is an off speed hitter? Find one credible baseball person to agree with that...

I'm not say fredi is a great manager but he has shown he is good. Look at the numbers of the guys he took to 96 wins last year. Bottom line, it has become the "cool thing" to bash fredi and frankly it shows complete dumbassedry. He has made some bad decisions in his career...like any manager...but he's still good.

msstate7
05-05-2014, 10:11 PM
So your saying J up is an off speed hitter? Find one credible baseball person to agree with that...

I'm not say fredi is a great manager but he has shown he is good. Look at the numbers of the guys he took to 96 wins last year. Bottom line, it has become the "cool thing" to bash fredi and frankly it shows complete dumbassedry. He has made some bad decisions in his career...like any manager...but he's still good.

Jup is 1 for last 15 with 11 k's. I've watched every game and probably 80% of pitches he's seen have been fastballs (mostly inner half). He can't hit a fastball right now. Jup punishes sliders for the most part

msstate7
05-05-2014, 10:18 PM

Scroll to bottom of this link. Peter Gammons gives best and worst fastball hitter stats. Jup among top 10 strikeouts by fastball (#4 in mlb actually)

http://www.gammonsdaily.com/2013s-top-10-best-worst-fastball-hitters/

msstate7
05-05-2014, 10:19 PM
Scroll to bottom of this link. Peter Gammons gives best and worst fastball hitter stats. Jup among top 10 strikeouts by fastball (#4 in mlb actually)

Sorry

Todd4State
05-05-2014, 10:43 PM

Sorry

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but to me that just means that he strikes out a lot in general.

Maybe I'm confused because Upton wasn't on Gammons 10 worst fastball hitters list. He was on the people who have struck out 70+ times by fastballs list. That's from 2013- a year that Upton K'd 161 times. So, actually less than half (barely) of his strikeouts were on fastballs.

That's what I got out of it any way.

dawgs
05-06-2014, 01:57 AM
Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but to me that just means that he strikes out a lot in general.

Maybe I'm confused because Upton wasn't on Gammons 10 worst fastball hitters list. He was on the people who have struck out 70+ times by fastballs list. That's from 2013- a year that Upton K'd 161 times. So, actually less than half (barely) of his strikeouts were on fastballs.

That's what I got out of it any way.

yeah that's how i understand it too. for instance, goldschmidt is a top 10 FB hitter, but had 64 Ks against FBs. he just crushed the ones he hit (most HRs in MLB against FBs).

upton was a little better against offspeed pitches, but his slash against FBs was .256/.371/.426, which isn't that far off from his overall 2013 slash of .263/.354/.464. he just K'd alot, thus he's going to have a significant number of FB Ks, as well as offspeed Ks.

upton was hot as anyone in baseball a just few days ago. he was due a bit of a slump. he'll get hot and cold again a solid half dozen or so times by october.

that said....#natitude

msstate7
05-06-2014, 10:55 AM
yeah that's how i understand it too. for instance, goldschmidt is a top 10 FB hitter, but had 64 Ks against FBs. he just crushed the ones he hit (most HRs in MLB against FBs).

upton was a little better against offspeed pitches, but his slash against FBs was .256/.371/.426, which isn't that far off from his overall 2013 slash of .263/.354/.464. he just K'd alot, thus he's going to have a significant number of FB Ks, as well as offspeed Ks.

upton was hot as anyone in baseball a just few days ago. he was due a bit of a slump. he'll get hot and cold again a solid half dozen or so times by october.

that said....#natitude

Jup is as streaky as they come. In fact, this whole team is. I'm calling a hot streak starting tonight.

shoeless joe
05-06-2014, 11:22 AM
Jup is as streaky as they come. In fact, this whole team is. I'm calling a hot streak starting tonight.

I hope you're rite...

Political Hack
05-06-2014, 11:31 AM
Doesn't have to be JUp. If anyone was hitting the ball they'd have won a couple of games over their last 7.

Dawg61
05-06-2014, 11:36 AM

Not vs the Cards. Lyons will continue the frustration.

msstate7
05-06-2014, 11:45 AM
Doesn't have to be JUp. If anyone was hitting the ball they'd have won a couple of games over their last 7.

You're right, but jup is 1-15 with 11 k's. He's been up in the most crucial situations. The cards pitched around jhey to get to jup -- this shouldn't happen. Jup is better than that.

Simmons' error was the biggest play last night though.

msstate7
05-06-2014, 11:46 AM
Not vs the Cards. Lyons will continue the frustration.

The braves can hit anyone when hot. They can't hit anyone though when cold.

smootness
05-06-2014, 11:47 AM
msstate7 is right, when Upton is cold, he really struggles with the fastball. It's a timing issue; he suddenly becomes late on every fastball waist-high or above. It's really strange because when he's on, he murders those pitches, but it's definitely true.

He does strike out a lot in general, but the difference between him on a tear or ice cold is his ability to catch up to the fastball.

dawgs
05-06-2014, 12:47 PM
The braves can hit anyone when hot. They can't hit anyone though when cold.

Braves are definitely the most boom or bust lineup in the bigs. Anytime you have that many Ks in the lineup though, that's to be expected, and really is what made last year's offensive production a bit of an anamoly IMO.

msstate7
05-06-2014, 12:54 PM
Braves are definitely the most boom or bust lineup in the bigs. Anytime you have that many Ks in the lineup though, that's to be expected, and really is what made last year's offensive production a bit of an anamoly IMO.

Too bad they can't play the Nats every game. Haha

dawgs
05-06-2014, 12:58 PM
Too bad they can't play the Nats every game. Haha

Or the nats can't catch them in the middle of a big slump.

Hopefully the nats can get a few bounces next time they play and get over the mental hump they have with the brave rights now.

msstate7
05-06-2014, 07:10 PM
Jup crushes a change up to hopefully end cold streak

shoeless joe
05-06-2014, 08:14 PM
Strange how a guy that can't hit a fastball has seen off speed all nite except for a few show pitches off the plate inside. Matheny and Molina must be dumbasses

msstate7
05-06-2014, 08:17 PM
Strange how a guy that can't hit a fastball has seen off speed all nite except for a few show pitches off the plate inside. Matheny and Molina must be dumbasses

Hr and just missed a couple of hits. He's had good swings on all of em too

DawgSaint
05-06-2014, 08:45 PM
Hopefully Kimbrell can save it! You would think would be a given, but lately you never know!

msstate7
05-06-2014, 08:48 PM
Hopefully Kimbrell can save it! You would think would be a given, but lately you never know!

He has to

DawgSaint
05-06-2014, 08:55 PM
Good to see that streak end!

msstate7
05-06-2014, 08:58 PM
Good to see that streak end!

Yep. Back in 1st place

DawgSaint
05-06-2014, 09:00 PM
Yep. Back in 1st place

Ha! Break 7 game skid and take over 1st place... Gotta love baseball!