PDA

View Full Version : Totally random (but gaudy) D2 baseball stat.

State82
05-05-2014, 09:27 PM
University of Tampa finished the regular season this weekend with a 47-2 record. That is impressive. Obviously, they are #1 in the country, but our own DSU Statesmen are #5. It's really unbelievable how much baseball talent there is scattered around the country, both on the field and in the coaching department. You just have to work it relentlessly, beat the bushes, look under every rock and leave no stone unturned. But it's out there if you invest the time and effort.

Will James
05-05-2014, 09:33 PM
Our coach is pretty good at the crootin.

Todd4State
05-05-2014, 09:34 PM
My guess is D-II baseball is top heavy with a few teams like Delta State and Tampa that really could and maybe should be competing in D-I as mid majors. Both could very easily compete in the Southland or even the Sun Belt and do well.

Delta State does it every year with Mississippi talent for the most part too.

I've always liked the way Delta State plays- hard and aggressive.

Poopfinger
05-05-2014, 10:02 PM
Can I give a shout out to my little brother who just signed with Delta State to play baseball? Go Fighting Okra!!!

DawgSaint
05-05-2014, 10:11 PM
Can I give a shout out to my little brother who just signed with Delta State to play baseball? Go Fighting Okra!!!

Congrats to him!

CadaverDawg
05-05-2014, 10:19 PM

Tell Little PoopFinger congrats

State82
05-05-2014, 10:32 PM

Congrats to him! I have a niece who has signed to play softball there, too.

State82
05-05-2014, 10:33 PM
Our coach is pretty good at the crootin.

No doubt. He is one of those that puts out that relentless effort.

Todd4State
05-05-2014, 10:34 PM

Heck yeah! I hope he sets some school records and I wish him well!

Martianlander
05-06-2014, 07:44 AM

Very best of luck!

Drugdog
05-06-2014, 07:50 AM
I remember playing DSU in Cleveland. They actually beat us a few times in the Delta. Then they would come to Starkville for a game.
Also we used to play Arkansas pre SEC days one game in Fayetville, one game in Greenville, and the one in Starkville.
The Greenville field eventually became unplayable. Shocking I know. But that was a lot of fun going with my Dad to see State play locally while living in Greenville. Good times.

TheRef
05-06-2014, 09:45 AM
I remember playing DSU in Cleveland. They actually beat us a few times in the Delta. Then they would come to Starkville for a game.
Also we used to play Arkansas pre SEC days one game in Fayetville, one game in Greenville, and the one in Starkville.
The Greenville field eventually became unplayable. Shocking I know. But that was a lot of fun going with my Dad to see State play locally while living in Greenville. Good times.

Greenville is trying to build a new sportsplex to host tournaments and such. The drag strip has been taken out (which I'm sure you remember, Drugdog) and they are using that land to build a high-quality sports area for tournaments. Of course they will have to redo Legion Field and get that to higher quality. I remember going to Greenville Bluesmen games at Legion Field back in the day. But anyway. DSU has a very high quality club and they consistently make it pretty far in the D-II Tournament. DSU is one of the all-sports powerhouses in D-II.

curmudgeon
05-06-2014, 10:22 AM
Delta State is #5 in D-II
Millsaps is coming off a D-III World Series
Belhaven is #8 in the NAIA and hosting a regional next weekend as a national seed.

Top to bottom, Mississippi is best for college baseball.

TheRef
05-06-2014, 10:26 AM
Mississippi: We Own Baseball

MadDawg
05-06-2014, 10:47 AM
This is Our Baseball

Drugdog
05-06-2014, 11:34 AM
Greenville is trying to build a new sportsplex to host tournaments and such. The drag strip has been taken out (which I'm sure you remember, Drugdog) and they are using that land to build a high-quality sports area for tournaments. Of course they will have to redo Legion Field and get that to higher quality. I remember going to Greenville Bluesmen games at Legion Field back in the day. But anyway. DSU has a very high quality club and they consistently make it pretty far in the D-II Tournament. DSU is one of the all-sports powerhouses in D-II.

Back in the day you could hear the drag racing on Saturday nights and I lived over by Greenville High.

TheRef
05-06-2014, 11:51 AM
Back in the day you could hear the drag racing on Saturday nights and I lived over by Greenville High.

No that's the dirt track and they still do it.

Todd4State
05-06-2014, 12:06 PM

Legion Field has nowhere to go but up. Notre Dame played Valley there a couple of years ago, though.

chef dixon
05-06-2014, 01:51 PM
Legion Field has nowhere to go but up. Notre Dame played Valley there a couple of years ago, though.

I wonder what Notre Dame thought when they pulled up to that field. I think they've had plans to renew the sportsplex there for a while but its an extremely slow process.

Poopfinger
05-07-2014, 05:31 PM
Thanks guys. He's a good ball player. I was hoping he could come to State, but it didn't work out