PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Post Spring top 25..A&M at 14? Are they high?

Lloyd Christmas
05-05-2014, 07:23 PM
No we aren't ranked. Go figure. Surprised Ole Miss wasn't at #5

BulldogBear
05-05-2014, 07:36 PM
No we aren't ranked. Go figure. Surprised Ole Miss wasn't at #1

FTFY

Political Hack
05-05-2014, 07:52 PM
that's absurd. they've gotten too big for their own good in some cases. publishing something that dumb is terrible.

Tbonewannabe
05-05-2014, 08:06 PM
If A&M lost Manziel and Evans last year they wouldn't have gone to a bowl. On top of that they lost their LT. I will be surprised if they win more than 7 games.

Political Hack
05-05-2014, 08:10 PM
they lost the best QB in college football, a top two OT at worst, and arguably the best WR in college football. Their defense was an embarrassment.

BulldogBear
05-05-2014, 08:14 PM
7-5 would maybe hold serve. 8-4 again would be doing rather well. 9-3 would really be overachieving. 6-6 possible and would not be a shock. 5-7 less likely but very possible. 4-8 is unlikely because it would require 0-8 in SEC games probably and you'd expect them to knock off somebody like Arkansas. But Arkansas gets the running game going this year TAMU could find itself in the cellar of the West.

14th? What do they know that we don't. I'm guessing...nothing. JMFever still causing media jetlag.

engie
05-05-2014, 08:32 PM
They've recruited on an elite level. I suspect their defense will be alot better next year --- while the offense obviously will take a major step back.

They are really close to having to be considered like LSU or Alabama from a talent standpoint though. Maybe one more year away...

msstate7
05-05-2014, 08:37 PM
They've recruited on an elite level. I suspect their defense will be alot better next year --- while the offense obviously will take a major step back.

They are really close to having to be considered like LSU or Alabama from a talent standpoint though. Maybe one more year away...

Lsu and bama build their teams on defense and running the ball. aTm builds their team on offense. The philosophy of bama and lsu is better suited to win big IMO

PMDawg
05-05-2014, 09:01 PM
I keep trying to tell y'all. 15 may be too high, but they won't suck.

Bothrops
05-06-2014, 06:05 AM
Well.. we have to beat A&M in Starkville if we want to have the type of season everyone is expecting. I hope we're ready.

Schultzy
05-06-2014, 06:12 AM
This is why it's important to not go ofer the decade against the Bama's and lsu 's of the world. Or one for twenty over a two decade span or whatever it is.

Journalists and polls aren't going to show a lot of confidence in our program until we get over this hump. No matter how optimistic we are.

Dawgface
05-06-2014, 06:41 AM
I could see a 21-25 ranking for them, but 14 is too high. I'm glad we are not ranked. We do better coming out of the pack.

Sam&DeansDawg
05-06-2014, 07:48 AM
I could see a 21-25 ranking for them, but 14 is too high. I'm glad we are not ranked. We do better coming out of the pack.

I was going to say the same thing.

BulldogBear
05-06-2014, 08:21 AM
I agree A&M can eventually be another Bama or LSU superpower that we have to deal with every year. But I don't think it will happen until they adjust to the idea of emphasizing defense. I know that some will disagree with the following statement but I think Auburn "doing it with Offense" last season was somewhat of a fluke. That was an 8-4 team with an 11-1 record.

shoeless joe
05-06-2014, 08:36 AM
A&M has become a sexy pic over the last two years. I'm not saying they aren't good but they won't be as good as they've been. Sumlin in will have to adjust a few of his philosophies to be a superpower.

SignalToNoise
05-06-2014, 08:43 AM
I suspect their defense will be alot better next year

I don't.

thf24
05-06-2014, 09:18 AM
I suspect their defense will be alot better next year

I don't think they'll be able to fix that defense in one off-season. I guess you could argue we fixed ours in one last year, but our 2012 Chris Wilson defense wasn't nearly as bad as aTm's last year.

RougeDawg
05-06-2014, 09:36 AM
The only difference in A&M being who they were the last 2 seasons and a .500 team was one person, JFF. Without him they are average at best and struggle to make bowl games each year. That's who I expect them to be again this year.

05-06-2014, 09:46 AM
http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/florida-players-block-each-other-best-college-football-gifs-2013.gif

19. Florida Gators
After the Gators limped to a 4-8 finish last season...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10884991/college-football-post-spring-way-too-early-preseason-top-25

Pollodawg
05-06-2014, 10:05 AM
Sumlin has never proven that he could coach up a defense in any capacity. He didn't at Houston. So far, he hasn't at AM. And having them at number 14 is a way too high. They may not even be top 25......

dickiedawg
05-06-2014, 10:07 AM
I think the truth lies in the middle. A&M has recruited at an elite level since joining the conference, as others have mentioned. JFF is a big loss, but Sumlin has ALWAYS had a quarterback that puts up sick numbers. They won't suddenly be a .500 team without Manziel.

Pollodawg
05-06-2014, 10:16 AM
I think the truth lies in the middle. A&M has recruited at an elite level since joining the conference, as others have mentioned. JFF is a big loss, but Sumlin has ALWAYS had a quarterback that puts up sick numbers. They won't suddenly be a .500 team without Manziel.

They were a sub-.500 team when Keenum went down at the start of '09.......

RougeDawg
05-06-2014, 10:18 AM

The only team they beat in the west last year without Manziel is Arkansas and that would be a toss up. They aren't better than Mizzou with or without JFF. That's 6 losses right there. They were struggling with Rice without him in the opener. Why are you sold on them being anything buy a .500 team based on those few facts?

engie
05-06-2014, 10:30 AM
I don't think they'll be able to fix that defense in one off-season. I guess you could argue we fixed ours in one last year, but our 2012 Chris Wilson defense wasn't nearly as bad as aTm's last year.

20 4 and 5* composite defensive players in the past 3 classes. Almost a full 2-deep. Not counting any diamonds. That defense was pretty good in 2012. They should be considered like Georgia going forward -- they'll either have a good defense -- or they'll be hiring new defensive coaches until they do barring extreme circumstances.

smootness
05-06-2014, 10:37 AM
I keep trying to tell y'all. 15 may be too high, but they won't suck.

This doesn't support your argument, it's just an opinion and one that I happen to still think will be quite wrong.

engie, they have recruited very well, no doubt. But I just don't see them going from what they were last year to anything decent, regardless of the number of recruiting stars. If the talent was all legit, they would have at least shown flashes last year.

engie
05-06-2014, 10:47 AM
Sumlin has never proven that he could coach up a defense in any capacity.
I didn't know Sumlin coached defense? Mark Snyder has proven that he can coach defense quite a few times -- and he better prove it next year or he'll be job hunting.

I'm not saying they should be #14 -- but it's pretty extreme to call them a .500 team now -- when the fruits of their SEC recruiting hasn't even really began to show itself on the field -- but it should be getting close.

They are a .500 team -- but LSU and Bama "will be LSU and Bama" -- guess I'm missing the difference in the players that they are both pulling in comparison with aTm? Or maybe we should just call them Georgia -- that's probably the better comparison for now.

smootness
05-06-2014, 10:55 AM
They are a .500 team -- but LSU and Bama "will be LSU and Bama" -- guess I'm missing the difference in the players that they are both pulling in comparison with aTm? Or maybe we should just call them Georgia -- that's probably the better comparison for now.

The difference is obviously that Bama and LSU have proven they can reload and remain at the top of the SEC. Texas A&M wasn't even at the top of the SEC, or one of the 15 best teams in the country, last year with Manziel, Evans, and Matthews. It's certainly possible that suddenly that talent realizes its potential and they take off, but it isn't extremely likely, and no one is going to assume it happens until they prove it.

Teams have recruited really well in the past only to not see great results from it...Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, FSU at times in the past, Auburn a couple of years ago, Michigan, etc. Recruiting a bunch of 4- and 5-star guys is a great recipe, but it doesn't always lead to great things on the field. Why am I going to assume A&M is at least as good as they were last year while losing that much talent? Because some guys who have never done anything at the college level should be assumed to be studs?

I think we will be better than A&M this fall.

engie
05-06-2014, 10:56 AM
If the talent was all legit, they would have at least shown flashes last year.

Talent did show in flashes.

They didn't have SEC depth up front. That makes the rest of the defense a nonstory -- much like our 2012 defense only to a greater extent. Very few DL see immediate success in the SEC. That doesn't say a thing about their future.

Just in the incoming class, they signed a 5* DE who was the #1 recruit in the country. They signed 2 4* DTs -- and 2 more 4* DE's. That's 5 4 and 5* DL in one incoming class. The #1 DL class in the country per Scout. It was #4 two years ago.

Pollodawg
05-06-2014, 11:01 AM
I didn't know Sumlin coached defense? Mark Snyder has proven that he can coach defense quite a few times -- and he better prove it next year or he'll be job hunting.

I'm not saying they should be #14 -- but it's pretty extreme to call them a .500 team now -- when the fruits of their SEC recruiting hasn't even really began to show itself on the field -- but it should be getting close.

I get your point that they've recruited well and all. And I guess we'll just have to see if they can take the defensive half of that talent and make up for the play makers they're losing on offense.

Pollodawg
05-06-2014, 11:05 AM
ATM likely won't score as much due to the fact that they lost a huge chunk of their production in 2013. They will have to lean on that D to keep them in games with good offenses like I expect ours to be. The D should be a little more seasoned this go around, but will it be enough to overcome State on the road? I don't personally think so.

Maybe saying they will be .500 is a little harsh. But I certainly don't expect double digit wins with them this season. Probably 8-5 or 9-4 again. We will find out if Sumlin is worth the moolah they are paying him this season, imho.

And yes, a HC takes responsibility for all 3 aspects of the game. Some blame has to be laid at his feet.

Goat Holder
05-06-2014, 11:16 AM
Stop posting, and you'll stop looking like an idiot.

Nobody disagrees that Texas A&M would not have struggled LAST YEAR without Manziel. But last year is just that....LAST YEAR. Sumlin was DEPENDING on Manziel last year, just like he was DEPENDING on Keenum in 2010 when he went 5-7 at Houston. He's got an open competition now. Nobody knew who Johnny Football was in 2012 either, remember that.

Texas A&M will be fine. They are most definitely not a powerhouse-in-waiting like some say, but they aren't chopped liver either. Probably a Clemson at best.

Pollodawg
05-06-2014, 11:16 AM
Stop posting, and you'll stop looking like an idiot.

Nobody disagrees that Texas A&M would not have struggled LAST YEAR without Manziel. But last year is just that....LAST YEAR. Sumlin was DEPENDING on Manziel last year, just like he was DEPENDING on Keenum in 2010 when he went 5-7 at Houston. He's got an open competition now. Nobody knew who Johnny Football was in 2012 either, remember that.

Texas A&M will be fine. They are most definitely not a powerhouse-in-waiting like some say, but they aren't chopped liver either. Probably a Clemson at best.

Who are you even addressing this at?

Goat Holder
05-06-2014, 11:28 AM
Learn to use the board before posting.

whatever
05-06-2014, 11:32 AM
The only difference in A&M being who they were the last 2 seasons and a .500 team was one person, JFF. Without him they are average at best and struggle to make bowl games each year. That's who I expect them to be again this year.

Everyone seems to think A&M is going to have some HUGE dropoff on offense b/c they lost Manziel, but when's the last time a Sumlin coached team or a school with a system like his or Texas Tech's didn't have a QB or offense that was highly productive?
Some of his recent QB's:
Jason White - Heisman
Sam Bradford - Heisman
Case Keenum - NCAA all time leader in yards & TD's

Just like Mike Leach and Gus Malzahn, more times than not their system is going to manufacture a lot of points. So was it more Manziel making A&M great or Sumlin making Manziel into what he was? IMO Manziel isn't nearly what he's thought to be today if he had gone to a school with a more pro style system.

So although A&M will have a dropoff, I'm not sure how big it will be and their next QB might become the next JFF. What will define how good they are is how good or bad their defense is.

Pollodawg
05-06-2014, 11:32 AM

LMAO. Says the guy who apparently doesn't know how to respond. Look, dude, I already dispatched you in another thread a while back if I remember correctly. We both know you'll go off the deep end on here in--what--maybe a couple days, and nobody will have to deal with you attacking various posts because you're a "genius" and everyone else is stupid.

Pollodawg
05-06-2014, 11:36 AM
No one is saying they will be 2-10. I just can't help but think that they won't be as productive offensively as they were the past couple of seasons, and I do think we win that one at home.

Pollodawg
05-06-2014, 11:37 AM
And it's not just JFF. It's Evans, Labhart, Malina. The list goes on and on on that offense. Their O line should be solid, tho.

smootness
05-06-2014, 11:44 AM
Everyone seems to think A&M is going to have some HUGE dropoff on offense b/c they lost Manziel, but when's the last time a Sumlin coached team or a school with a system like his or Texas Tech's didn't have a QB or offense that was highly productive?
Some of his recent QB's:
Jason White - Heisman
Sam Bradford - Heisman
Case Keenum - NCAA all time leader in yards & TD's

Just like Mike Leach and Gus Malzahn, more times than not their system is going to manufacture a lot of points. So was it more Manziel making A&M great or Sumlin making Manziel into what he was? IMO Manziel isn't nearly what he's thought to be today if he had gone to a school with a more pro style system.

So although A&M will have a dropoff, I'm not sure how big it will be and their next QB might become the next JFF. What will define how good they are is how good or bad their defense is.

The last time a Sumlin-coached team struggled at QB and on offense was 2010 at Houston. He absolutely does not get credit for Jason White, considering he was ST/TE coach at the time. He gets some credit for Sam Bradford's freshman year, but he was co-OC and WR coach at the time; he was gone for Bradford's 2008 Heisman-winning year. But if he gets credit for 2007, he was also co-OC in 2006 when they had Adrian Peterson yet still weren't a great offense.

He was handed Case Keenum, who had already been the starter a year, at Houston, and he never entered a year without Keenum as his starting QB there. The one year he ended up not having Keenum, they struggled.

He then had Manziel both of his years at A&M so far. I understand that he has had a lot of success on offense and with QBs, but to me, the jury is still out to some degree - everyone knows he's a really good offensive coach, the question is simply whether or not he can take any QB and make it work or whether he's just been handed great QBs.

Jack Lambert
05-06-2014, 11:45 AM
I don't.

I agree. I just don't see how. They sucked at every position.

Pollodawg
05-06-2014, 11:52 AM
The last time a Sumlin-coached team struggled at QB and on offense was 2010 at Houston. He absolutely does not get credit for Jason White, considering he was ST/TE coach at the time. He gets some credit for Sam Bradford's freshman year, but he was co-OC and WR coach at the time; he was gone for Bradford's 2008 Heisman-winning year. But if he gets credit for 2007, he was also co-OC in 2006 when they had Adrian Peterson yet still weren't a great offense.

He was handed Case Keenum, who had already been the starter a year, at Houston, and he never entered a year without Keenum as his starting QB there. The one year he ended up not having Keenum, they struggled.

He then had Manziel both of his years at A&M so far. I understand that he has had a lot of success on offense and with QBs, but to me, the jury is still out to some degree - everyone knows he's a really good offensive coach, the question is simply whether or not he can take any QB and make it work or whether he's just been handed great QBs.

You're just a moron that doesn't understand how well they've recruited and what a brilliant coach Sumlin is.**

PMDawg
05-06-2014, 11:54 AM
They were a sub-.500 team when Keenum went down at the start of '09.......

they were on their 3rd or 4th string QB when we beat them that year. and they kept it pretty close for 2 or 3 quarters if i remember correctly.

PMDawg
05-06-2014, 11:58 AM
This doesn't support your argument, it's just an opinion and one that I happen to still think will be quite wrong.

engie, they have recruited very well, no doubt. But I just don't see them going from what they were last year to anything decent, regardless of the number of recruiting stars. If the talent was all legit, they would have at least shown flashes last year.

they've recruited very well, as already documented. Sumlin has a good history of putting up massive offensive numbers, no matter who is the QB. They have better offensive personnel on the line and at the skill positions than what Sumlin worked with at Houston. they have plenty of talent to replace their losses at WR, RB, and OL. the only question is QB, and Sumlin will just call more screens, slants, and "extended handoffs" than he had to with JFF.

As far as the defense goes, they were all young last year. Very talented but young. They got better as the season progressed, and they're all coming back. They won't be great, but they won't be terrible either. they'll be a hard out for virtually everyone outside of maybe Bama.

Pollodawg
05-06-2014, 11:59 AM
they were on their 3rd or 4th string QB when we beat them that year. and they kept it pretty close for 2 or 3 quarters if i remember correctly.

And they could potentially be trotting a true freshman out this season. JFF was a redshirt. He had more than a single Fall to get prepped for the starting role and get adjusted to NCAA game speed. Not to mention he was a freak.

smootness
05-06-2014, 12:05 PM
they've recruited very well, as already documented. Sumlin has a good history of putting up massive offensive numbers, no matter who is the QB.

It just so happens that when they put up big offensive numbers, his QBs were Sam Bradford, Case Keenum, and Johnny Manziel. I'm not using that to discredit him, but if we're going to say 'no matter who is the QB,' then we should at least mention who those QBs happened to be.

They have better offensive personnel on the line and at the skill positions than what Sumlin worked with at Houston. they have plenty of talent to replace their losses at WR, RB, and OL.

Of course they have better personnel than at Houston, but they're also playing a far more difficult schedule. If they were in CUSA, you'd have no argument from me on them winning 8-10 games.

And again, no one is questioning the recruiting stars. But we've seen in the past that doesn't always equate to success on the field. Florida had what was considered by many to be arguably the greatest recruiting class of all time a few years ago, and we see what that produced last year.

Pollodawg
05-06-2014, 12:17 PM
I think I know why some people are saying this about TAMU. They know what will inevitably follow when we beat TAMU this season. "TAMU was down. They lost a lot. This win means nothing," will scream the bears and segments of our own naysaying fans. They are trying to head that off.

hacker
05-06-2014, 12:21 PM

lol, you still think you are doing it right? I don't know why you are so reluctant to understand this, but this isn't SPS. Threaded view isn't default here, so most people don't use it. So when you reply to people without quoting them, nobody knows who the hell you are talking to.

So perhaps, and I've said this several times to you already, YOU should learn to use THIS board before posting.

edit: I also see that you are so dense that you still haven't noticed that literally every single other person on the board uses the quote feature for this exact reason.

RougeDawg
05-06-2014, 01:29 PM
And it's not just JFF. It's Evans, Labhart, Malina. The list goes on and on on that offense. Their O line should be solid, tho.

Yea they will be a solid team, but so were we last year and we struggled to 6-6. Without JFF they are essentially us and most likely a step below us the last 2 seasons. They would have struggled to beat the other teams in the west except Ark. Hell they even struggled with us and OM, WITH JFF. that's 5 losses without Manziel along with Mizzou and Rice gave them all they wanted while JFF was sitting out his 30 minute suspension for signing autograph$$$$$. Looking at this objectively, JFF was single handedly responsible for +3-4 wins for A&M the two seasons he was there.

Cabo32
05-06-2014, 02:05 PM
They'll be good...#1qb from 2013 or #1dual-threat from 2012 won't pick up where JFF left off, but they'll be able to run that offense. Rickey seal jones isn't mike Evans, but he's one hell of an athlete and will be a threat on the outside. They finally have depth on D and hell, not having JFF running those fast scoring drives will actually give the D time to rest. They'll be just fine this year..they're not going to win the west but I bet they get 8 wins. I'm still sticking with my prediction that they'll be one of the top teams in the next few years

tenureplan
05-06-2014, 02:16 PM
No we aren't ranked. Go figure. Surprised Ole Miss wasn't at #5

I think ESPN is ranking them that high because they open with USCe. I believe there wont be a CBS game that week because of tennis. So this will be ESPN's prime time game and they want to trump it up a bit. Their preseason lists do influence the preseason polls. So to sum it up, it is about viewership and money.

Bothrops
05-06-2014, 02:24 PM
It's this year's must win game. I can't reiterate this enough. We all have high expectations, but could easily go 0-3 to start out league play. We have to avoid this, and prove, for once, that we are over our big game heebie-jeebies.

smootness
05-06-2014, 02:46 PM
It's this year's must win game. I can't reiterate this enough. We all have high expectations, but could easily go 0-3 to start out league play. We have to avoid this, and prove, for once, that we are over our big game heebie-jeebies.

I agree, at least to some extent.

I think we have 7 'should win' games this year, which might seem crazy until you realize the two toughest games in that group are Arkansas and @Kentucky; I truly think all 7 of those games we should win.

Then, I think there are 2 true toss-ups, Texas A&M and Ole Miss, and 3 'unlikely' games...and I think there's a chance Auburn could slip into true toss-up territory, given that it's at home and I think they'll take a step back this year.

It really is crazy how well this schedule sets up for us when you realize it's been a long time since the two toughest teams on our schedule had such huge question marks at QB, the only consecutive road games we play are South Alabama followed by LSU, we have our two byes placed pretty well, and we don't play any multi-week gauntlet like we have in the past.

Our toughest 3-week stretch will either be @LSU-bye-Texas A&M, Texas A&M-Auburn-bye, or @Alabama-Vandy-@Ole Miss. That's nothing like what we've seen recently.

But agreed, we can't start 0-3 in the league.

Goat Holder
05-06-2014, 03:41 PM
He then had Manziel both of his years at A&M so far.

To be fair, you must note that Manziel was redshirted by Sherman, and it was Sumlin who made the decision to start him and helped develop him. Yeah, Sherman had the other guy (that got drafted by the Dolphins), but Manziel was an unknown until Sumlin got there. You cannot ignore this. Sumlin will be just fine.

All good coaches end up with good players around them.

PMDawg
05-06-2014, 04:16 PM
It just so happens that when they put up big offensive numbers, his QBs were Sam Bradford, Case Keenum, and Johnny Manziel. I'm not using that to discredit him, but if we're going to say 'no matter who is the QB,' then we should at least mention who those QBs happened to be.

Of course they have better personnel than at Houston, but they're also playing a far more difficult schedule. If they were in CUSA, you'd have no argument from me on them winning 8-10 games.

And again, no one is questioning the recruiting stars. But we've seen in the past that doesn't always equate to success on the field. Florida had what was considered by many to be arguably the greatest recruiting class of all time a few years ago, and we see what that produced last year.

I don't have the desire or time to argue. It's just my opinion and it will bear itself out eventually. I was subjected to the same type of arguments when I predicted Ole Miss would go 6-6 in Freeze's first year, and when I said they would win 8 games last year.

MarketingBully01
05-06-2014, 04:25 PM
To be fair, you must note that Manziel was redshirted by Sherman, and it was Sumlin who made the decision to start him and helped develop him. Yeah, Sherman had the other guy (that got drafted by the Dolphins), but Manziel was an unknown until Sumlin got there. You cannot ignore this. Sumlin will be just fine.

Don't act like Sumlin was this guy who anointed Johnny Football the starter when he got there. Shit, Sumlin almost kicked Johnny Football off the team when he got there. He wasn't named starter until their first game of the season. Sumlin lucked up on Johnny Football and when JFF wasn't in there last year they looked worse then Arkansas. I say 7-5 is a generous record prediction for them. I don't think the A&M fans will like the PJ (Post Johnny) era very much at all. At least not this year.

MarketingBully01
05-06-2014, 04:31 PM

Must win game? Nope, the LSU game IMO is bigger and a bigger must win game. I am thinking big this year and in order for us to have the season we know we can have. LSU is the big game. Really in all honesty the only game that is a sure loss on our schedule and that is Bama and even they have some question marks. This should be a great season. To me, 7-5 or 8-4 would be a disappointment. We finally have the schedule to move up the ladder and we have great leaders on both sides of the ball. The only thing that could hold us back in my opinion is special teams. We need to figure out the kicking situation badly.

smootness
05-06-2014, 04:38 PM

Just because he didn't play until Sumlin got there doesn't necessarily mean his success can be attributed to Sumlin, though. Obviously Sumlin can't be ignored in the process, but it's entirely possible Manziel was a stud and nobody realized it until he started playing.

My point is, Manziel was an unknown prior to Sumlin because he hadn't played. If he had played for a year or two and wasn't that great, this point would be more legitimate. And obviously it will be more legitimate if the next guy turns out to be Manziel 2.0.

But as of now, I'm still going to let him prove it. He will be 'just fine' to some degree, the question is simply to what degree. I don't think he's proven enough to think they can lose those kind of cornerstones and not skip a beat.

Bothrops
05-06-2014, 05:07 PM
Must win game? Nope, the LSU game IMO is bigger and a bigger must win game. I am thinking big this year and in order for us to have the season we know we can have. LSU is the big game. Really in all honesty the only game that is a sure loss on our schedule and that is Bama and even they have some question marks. This should be a great season. To me, 7-5 or 8-4 would be a disappointment. We finally have the schedule to move up the ladder and we have great leaders on both sides of the ball. The only thing that could hold us back in my opinion is special teams. We need to figure out the kicking situation badly.

I predict 8-4, if Dak stays healthy. I like the confidence, but it's not going to be that easy. We could beat LSU, I mean it has to happen sometime, right? Not really, but this is a year that we orbit that atmosphere. Auburn will be better. They may not be as lucky, but they will improve almost everywhere. Like I said, A&M is a game we can't afford to lose.

Goat Holder
05-06-2014, 05:30 PM
Well damn, YOU are judging Sumlin before he has a chance to prove himself too. All I pointed out was the other side of the coin. I don't know what he will do.

Good coaches build teams around what they have. Sumlin did in fact have Manziel on his team, so he built the team around him. It backfires sometimes (injuries), but if you have that type of horse, you ride it. THIS YEAR......Sumlin knows he has to build another type of team, and I think he'll do OK. He may go 6-6 or whatever, but I'm guessing within 2 years time he'll have another QB putting up big numbers.

Rarely, and I mean RARELY, does a player prop a coach up some much that it bucks the trend. The only time I can remember that happening is with Cam Newton and Gene Chizik. Half of coaching is getting the good players in there. Fine line. Was Bobby Petrino only good because he had Brian Brohn, Stefan Lefores, Dave Ragone, Ryan Mallett and (most recent guy, names scapes me-he sort of crashed and burned without BP there too by the way), or was it because BP found them, signed them, and coached them up? Or both?

Bottom line......Texas A&M's success wasn't ALL about Johnny Football. I personally think Sumlin's a better coach than that.

engie
05-06-2014, 05:35 PM

This "down year" everyone mentions when referring to Sumlin makes me shake my head. You mean when Case Keenum and backup Cotton Turner went down for the season in game 3(thus turning it over to true freshmen David Piland and Terrence Broadway) that STILL resulted in a national #13 scoring offense and #11 total offense? That's a good example of a "down offensive year" under Sumlin, where the deck was stacked against him, wouldn't you agree?