PDA

View Full Version : "MSU fans over-hype Dak"

BeastMan
05-05-2014, 03:33 PM
This is something I've heard or seen a few times. I got on google and found 17 articles showing Dak love that were written by either national sites/blogs or newspapers (http://3rdand57.com/dak-prescott-pre-season-hype-tracker/) other than the CL or any of the GTR papers. The proof is overwhelming. As much as it bothers some people, Dak is getting a ton of love and praise by the media because they see the same potential in Mullen's offense that most MSU fans would say they see. The crazy thing is that we are only in April. By the time Dak speaks at SEC media days and the time leading the kickoff, I don't think its a stretch to say there will be between 30-50 national features showing Dak love being that there is already 17 (that I know of). Just thought I'd point this out since so many pretend like Dak hype is an MSU driven, crack-pot theory.

TheRef
05-05-2014, 03:35 PM
Who else is ready for SEC Media Days? Only me? Okay.....

messageboardsuperhero
05-05-2014, 03:38 PM
I totally agree. The whole "dark horse" talk started with Jesse Palmer and Barrett Sallee.

A very large portion of the hype is not coming from MSU fans at all.

Todd4State
05-05-2014, 03:43 PM
Let's be honest- we all know that the Dak love isn't going to come from GTR reporters. One in particular has insisted that Dak isn't a Heisman Candidate and that he will vote for Nick Marshall for first team SEC QB. #MLBdraft.

Dawg61
05-05-2014, 04:00 PM
Any hype is always going to start with the home fan base. That's to be expected. For the first time in history MSU has a QB we all are fully confident in. It's a good feeling to have and gives the team a level of confidence going into a season that's unparalleled in State history. Better this feeling than the teams going into the season with question marks at the most important position on the field.

MetEdDawg
05-05-2014, 04:01 PM
This goes to the prove it theory of college football. People, sometimes the ones that cover your city, look at it that way and report it that way. Been there before and didn't succeed, so why is this time any different kind of mentality. In order for people to truly believe Dak is legit, he has to prove it on the field in the big time moment. We've not had a QB really do that.

As an MSU fan, I'm ok with Nick Marshall being 1st team SEC and a bigger Heisman candidate than Dak and any objective MSU fan should see it that way. I love Dak and think he's gonna do great things for us. But Nick Marshall got the press, the spotlight in the big time games, and is the captain of a very high octane and explosive offense that went to the title game last year. Dak is coming off a 7-6 year that he didn't start and that he missed time for injury for.

I think he's definitely a Heisman candidate. But no one should be pissed if he's not taken seriously because his big time memorable moment was leading us as a 5-6 MSU team to a win against an overrated OM team. He's got to do it on the big stage against an LSU or a Bama or an Auburn or TAMU. I hate to be the jerk here, but that's just how it is. We have to do things on the field to make people in the media respect us. I personally think Dak is underhyped, but I can't fault those who aren't convinced he's legit or think that he's not ready to take us to that next step yet.

RattStevens
05-05-2014, 04:05 PM
Let's be honest- we all know that the Dak love isn't going to come from GTR reporters. One in particular has insisted that Dak isn't a Heisman Candidate and that he will vote for Nick Marshall for first team SEC QB. #MLBdraft.

You're darn right! Prescott is marginally better than Chris Relf. Relf beat Florida, Georgia and Michigan. Prescott beat, um, uhhh, exactly. #mlbdraft

Pollodawg
05-05-2014, 04:09 PM
You want to know what the difference between Nick Marshal and Dak is? Dak is a QB who is athletic. Marshal is an athlete in the QB position. Marshal doesn't have near the upside Dak does.

starkvegasdawg
05-05-2014, 04:12 PM
We all know this is coming from the land of the bears. They never overhype anybody. Well nobody besides Deuce and every single QB that has ever played since Archie...who was overhyped himself.

TheRef
05-05-2014, 04:14 PM
We all know this is coming from the land of the bears. They never overhype anybody. Well nobody besides Deuce and every single QB that has ever played since Archie...who was overhyped himself.

Paging Jevan Snead....

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/2009/0820_large.jpg

GreenheadDawg
05-05-2014, 04:21 PM
The words under your username says all you need to know

Political Hack
05-05-2014, 04:40 PM
Dak won a big game in OT versus our rival at home. He'll be a fan favorite for years for gutting that out. From a national perspective, he won the game. From someone who actually watched the game, the defense won the game. When you don't give up a TD during regulation or OT, you did your damn job defensively.

Johnson85
05-05-2014, 04:46 PM
You're darn right! Prescott is marginally better than Chris Relf. Relf beat Florida, Georgia and Michigan. Prescott beat, um, uhhh, exactly. #mlbdraft

Is ^^^this^^^ an actual person that claims to be a journalist? Or a troll pretending to act like whoever people are talking about when they use the #mlbdraft hashtag?

Todd4State
05-05-2014, 04:50 PM
Dak won a big game in OT versus our rival at home. He'll be a fan favorite for years for gutting that out. From a national perspective, he won the game. From someone who actually watched the game, the defense won the game. When you don't give up a TD during regulation or OT, you did your damn job defensively.

This is how it starts. Overcoming an injury to lead your team to a fourth quarter victory in a rivalry game.

maroonmania
05-05-2014, 05:00 PM

THe defense kept us IN the game but without Dak coming in I don't believe there is any way we would have won the game. If you look at the points and yardage he put up with our offense in essentially half a quarter and an OT session it was really remarkable. Our offense with Williams at that point had stagnated.

maroonmania
05-05-2014, 05:03 PM
This is how it starts. Overcoming an injury to lead your team to a fourth quarter victory in a rivalry game.

Injury is actually my biggest concern with Dak. He's already had a severe case of turf toe and a separated shoulder. He enjoys contact when running and I am concerned that he will get knocked out for the year at some point. Dak's running style in conjunction with the Scott Field Dead Indian Burial Mound Curse could be our undoing this coming season at some point.

Goat Holder
05-05-2014, 05:11 PM
Agreed. Up until this game, I was not sold on Prescott AT ALL. He was simply another above average runner who missed a lot of throws in big games. But during the Egg Bowl, he HIT those throws, more than a few times successively, and got it in the end zone in the clutch. Game should have been over in the 4th quarter had we had a kicker without his head up his ass.

Goat Holder
05-05-2014, 05:12 PM
^ This.

sleepy dawg
05-05-2014, 05:13 PM
I've seen the media blowing this up way more than State fans. I think most State fans are just following the lead of the media. In fact, I think I'm much more skeptical of this hype than the media seems to be.

Reason2succeed
05-05-2014, 05:28 PM
I think that State fans are cautiously optimistic. We are excited because we finally have a complete team top to bottom with exception to FG kicker. Every other team in the nation gets pumped about their preseason hype. Why shouldn't we? I haven't heard a single person put State in the NC game. I can't say the same thing for OM when they had Jevan Sneed, Eli, and even Brent Schaeffer.

Pollodawg
05-05-2014, 05:31 PM
Be excited about Dak. You won't be disappointed.

messageboardsuperhero
05-05-2014, 05:36 PM
Injury is actually my biggest concern with Dak. He's already had a severe case of turf toe and a separated shoulder. He enjoys contact when running and I am concerned that he will get knocked out for the year at some point. Dak's running style in conjunction with the Scott Field Dead Indian Burial Mound Curse could be our undoing this coming season at some point.

Yep. I just want to see him stay healthy all season.

DawgSaint
05-05-2014, 05:42 PM
Call me wooly, call me a kool-aid drinker, or whatever else you want, but I'm expecting a big, big year!

BeastMan
05-05-2014, 05:57 PM
I've seen the media blowing this up way more than State fans. I think most State fans are just following the lead of the media. In fact, I think I'm much more skeptical of this hype than the media seems to be.

You nailed it

Coach34
05-05-2014, 06:53 PM
OM fans are just genuinely jealous because Captain Bubble Screen isnt getting the love. And they also know the #DakAttack is coming to to make it 5/6

sbcmortgageman
05-05-2014, 07:12 PM
Is ^^^this^^^ an actual person that claims to be a journalist? Or a troll pretending to act like whoever people are talking about when they use the #mlbdraft hashtag?

Ha you don't get on twitter much eh? He's making fun of Stevens.

BulldogBear
05-05-2014, 07:32 PM
Paging Jevan Snead....

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/2009/0820_large.jpg

How that Egg Bowl win work out for you Jevan?

#youshouldhaveboughtasquirrel

Goat Holder
05-05-2014, 08:28 PM
Absolutely no way in hell I'd predict us to go to Oxford and win this year. I can buy a little hype, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. They will be amped for that game.

RougeDawg
05-05-2014, 09:27 PM
Absolutely no way in hell I'd predict us to go to Oxford and win this year. I can buy a little hype, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. They will be amped for that game.

Why? With Dak in 2013, we beat them by 20+ easily. We hardly lose any players and only one true key component (Jackson). They lose a lot, including a NFL WR, and have paper thin depth at the most critical positions along with a gimp QB. Anyone who doesn't pencil that in as a W at this point needs a mental exam.

Pollodawg
05-05-2014, 09:56 PM
I know I will get absolutely lambasted for this, but I am going to put it out there anyway. Dak can throw the ball as well as Tebow--maybe even a little better--and is way faster. Dak is not as good as Tebow. Dak has the potential to be better than Tebow. Yeah, Yeah, I know Tebow threw for over three thousand yards in 2007, but he also had Percy Harvin, Riley Cooper, etc all to catch those passes as well, didn't he?

Dak's mechanics and throwing motion already look better than Tim's did. Watch Dak in the start of the LSU game. Kid was throwing beebees. Malcolm Johnson dropped two balls that him in the hands that made Dak's numbers look a little worse than they actually were. I am super amped about this season.

Goat Holder
05-05-2014, 10:11 PM
Wow, as if you couldn't really be any dumber after baseball, you go and post something like this. Except you didn't redeem yourself.

You obviously don't understand nor pay attention to history. Exact same situation in 2009 except reversed. 2012 too. Best team doesn't always win, especially on the road.

State82
05-05-2014, 10:49 PM

Unfortunately, I have to agree here. I sincerely hope we are both wrong, but history backs this up. You won't predict a win, I won't predict a win, and no college football pundit would predict a win at this juncture. That COULD change depending on circumstances that may transpire during the season (injuries, etc.), but right now there is no way to pencil that one in as a W. Can we win it? Sure we can. But I would place the odds now at around 50% or slightly less. Which ain't bad when going on the road in the SEC, in any sport.

Pollodawg
05-05-2014, 10:59 PM
Yeah, we're gonna need the A game for that one.

thunderclap
05-06-2014, 10:16 AM
Spurlock will be better than Eli.

I wish I would've saved some of those posts.

fishwater99
05-06-2014, 02:04 PM
http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/296/files/2014/01/DakforHeisman.png

MarketingBully01
05-06-2014, 04:38 PM
Wow, as if you couldn't really be any dumber after baseball, you go and post something like this. Except you didn't redeem yourself.

You obviously don't understand nor pay attention to history. Exact same situation in 2009 except reversed. 2012 too. Best team doesn't always win, especially on the road.

It really will depend on the year both our teams are having. If the cards fall right, this year's Egg Bowl could be like last year's Iron Bowl. Would be great if our teams faced each other with that much on the line. I could see that game go either way depending on a number of factors.

Dawgcentral
05-06-2014, 06:31 PM
I think the Egg Bowl comes down to three things. Who wants it more, what are the stakes, and injuries. We have better depth, the respective records will probably reflect that both teams are going to be bowl eligible, so basically it'll come down to coaching and game prep/plan. I'd prefer to have them at home of course, but sticking it to them at their place has it's own rewards.

Coach34
05-06-2014, 07:16 PM
It's going to be a long season- with ups and downs and injuries

It's going to be tough to win there- no doubt. But our ****ing defense will keep us in the game- you can count on it.

The 2014 Egg Bowl is going to be a ******* war

War Machine Dawg
05-07-2014, 12:09 AM
I'm calling my shot: We're going to beat the BearSharks by at least 2 TDs, maybe more. They have NO OL depth. Hell, they don't even have 5 quality starters. Our front 7 is going to have a "Landshark" game the way they did against us in '08. The only way I don't see us winning is if we get 2-3 serious OL injuries ourself. Otherwise, we're better at literally every position on the field. Stop being pussies, look at the rosters, and show me where I'm wrong.

blacklistedbully
05-07-2014, 02:01 AM
I'm calling my shot: We're going to beat the BearSharks by at least 2 TDs, maybe more. They have NO OL depth. Hell, they don't even have 5 quality starters. Our front 7 is going to have a "Landshark" game the way they did against us in '08. The only way I don't see us winning is if we get 2-3 serious OL injuries ourself. Otherwise, we're better at literally every position on the field. Stop being pussies, look at the rosters, and show me where I'm wrong.

I'm with you on this one! TSUN may have a good defense, but they will not stop the Dak Attack. They couldn't stop it once this year, and it'll be even better next year. On the other hand, our D stuffed them, and our D will be even better. Home field advantage will not be enough to overcome our advantage at every position. And I just have a feeling Dak is not going to let us go into Oxford feeling any less stoked or confident than TSUN will be on their home turf. I think our boys are gonna come in with some serious bad intentions and are gonna lay the wood.

thf24
05-07-2014, 07:14 AM

This is the correct answer. If they have a serviceable O-line when we play, it'll be a toss up at best. But assuming Golson does indeed leave (which, admittedly, seems less likely the longer we go without hearing anything about it), they can't afford a single o-line injury. Given their durability issues last year, who thinks they're going to make it all the way through November without losing a single lineman? If they miraculously keep all their starters healthy, it will be a battle, but in the more likely scenario that they don't, our d-line will live in their backfield and they won't be able to do a thing on offense.