PDA

View Full Version : Auburn thoughts

Todd4State
05-04-2014, 06:44 PM
Huge sweep. We needed that after last weekend.

First thing I noticed looking at the stats on the season- three of our top hitters right now are Reid Humphreys, Gavin Collins, and Cody Brown. Collins and Humphreys our two of our top three hitters in SEC play. Between the three of them, they have four of our 12 home runs. The future is bright.

We almost shut out a team for an entire series. That is unreal at any level of baseball. Most SEC teams that couldn't do that to SWAC teams during a three game weekend series. This weekend, our team ERA dropped almost 18 points.

Since the shaved beard meeting- we are 9-3. We have increased our team batting average by 14 points and our home runs as a team have gone from 6 to 12 in three weeks. That's what happens when you hit line drives and take good at bats. If you watch our team in person and compare it to early in the year, there is a huge and noticeable difference. Even in the Texas A&M series, the games that we lost we scored 3 and 4 runs, which is not anything to brag about, but it's respectable.

It's good to see Cohen and Butch allow Fitts to go deeper into games. That's going to allow us to save Lindgren and Holder some. Ross was awesome and ate up innings. And it was great to see Preston Brown pitch well. We just need to be careful with him because of his shoulder. If Preston can continue to pitch well, we are going to be tough to beat. And on top of that, Luke Laster has shown that he can be a viable option for us and get outs.

As fans we want to know what it's going to take to host and etc. We still have quite a bit of work to do. At least 19 wins- and even then it won't be a slam dunk at all.

Our team has to continue to take it one game at a time, and if we keep winning, everything will take care of itself. Tennessee beat a pretty good Kentucky team today. They're 28-17 and have won 10 SEC games. It's going to be a tough series. We'll be at Dudy-Noble Field and we will be confident going into the game on the mound and at the plate.

messageboardsuperhero
05-04-2014, 07:29 PM
Huge sweep. We needed that after last weekend.

First thing I noticed looking at the stats on the season- three of our top hitters right now are Reid Humphreys, Gavin Collins, and Cody Brown. Collins and Humphreys our two of our top three hitters in SEC play. Between the three of them, they have four of our 12 home runs. The future is bright.

We almost shut out a team for an entire series. That is unreal at any level of baseball. Most SEC teams that couldn't do that to SWAC teams during a three game weekend series. This weekend, our team ERA dropped almost 18 points.

Since the shaved beard meeting- we are 9-3. We have increased our team batting average by 14 points and our home runs as a team have gone from 6 to 12 in three weeks. That's what happens when you hit line drives and take good at bats. If you watch our team in person and compare it to early in the year, there is a huge and noticeable difference. Even in the Texas A&M series, the games that we lost we scored 3 and 4 runs, which is not anything to brag about, but it's respectable.

It's good to see Cohen and Butch allow Fitts to go deeper into games. That's going to allow us to save Lindgren and Holder some. Ross was awesome and ate up innings. And it was great to see Preston Brown pitch well. We just need to be careful with him because of his shoulder. If Preston can continue to pitch well, we are going to be tough to beat. And on top of that, Luke Laster has shown that he can be a viable option for us and get outs.

As fans we want to know what it's going to take to host and etc. We still have quite a bit of work to do. At least 19 wins- and even then it won't be a slam dunk at all.

Our team has to continue to take it one game at a time, and if we keep winning, everything will take care of itself. Tennessee beat a pretty good Kentucky team today. They're 28-17 and have won 10 SEC games. It's going to be a tough series. We'll be at Dudy-Noble Field and we will be confident going into the game on the mound and at the plate.

Not to mention that Collins and Brown only split time as starters, and Humphreys really hasn't played all that much. Combine that with redshirting Swinarski, Rooker, and Ingram- then consider we're bringing in Gordon, Burdick, and the 2015 crew... We've got some power coming up in the future.

basedog
05-04-2014, 07:32 PM
Agree. Taking 2 out of 3 is very important as we all know!

Bully13
05-04-2014, 07:57 PM
I'm happy about the dominating sweep as well. I'd be interested to know how many SEC series' have ended where one team got only 1 run. my only issue is that we still have not taken care of any team with a RPI under 50. beating bama twice would make me feel a little better about post season which is our last regular season opportunity to do so.

Quaoarsking
05-04-2014, 08:04 PM
I'm happy about the dominating sweep as well. I'd be interested to know how many SEC series' have ended where one team got only 1 run. my only issue is that we still have not taken care of any team with a RPI under 50. beating bama twice would make me feel a little better about post season which is our last regular season opportunity to do so.

The series wins over Vanderbilt (RPI #5) and Georgia (RPI #45, on the road) isn't enough for you? The fact that we'll probably have our best conference record yet under Cohen isn't enough? Or that we have a decent shot at our best record since 1997?? Or that we're the only SEC team with multiple road sweeps?

Now we have to sweep top 50 RPI teams for you to be happy?

Quit moving the goalposts. Man up and admit you've been wrong about calling this team dogshit for weeks.

msstate7
05-04-2014, 08:06 PM

Tennessee is #28 in rpi. We're currently 38. Chance to raise it this weekend

messageboardsuperhero
05-04-2014, 08:15 PM

Auburn was actually pretty damn close to the top 50 coming into this series (I think they were about 55). We also beat #5 Vandy. We went on the road and beat #45 Georgia. We beat #52 Arkansas. We went 2-2 against #11 UM. We beat #56 Western Carolina. Would you like me to continue? There are several teams we've "taken care of" fairly well with RPIs around 50 or under.

In the next two weeks, we get six games against top 30 RPI teams. Let's see where we sit after that.

Bully13
05-04-2014, 09:23 PM
The series wins over Vanderbilt (RPI #5) and Georgia (RPI #45, on the road) isn't enough for you? The fact that we'll probably have our best conference record yet under Cohen isn't enough? Or that we have a decent shot at our best record since 1997?? Or that we're the only SEC team with multiple road sweeps?

Now we have to sweep top 50 RPI teams for you to be happy?

Quit moving the goalposts. Man up and admit you've been wrong about calling this team dogshit for weeks.

thanks for the correction Q. I had recently saw someone post our record vs teams with an RPI under 50 and it was abysmal. For some reason I thought we have not taken care of any good team yet. vandy being at 5 surprises the hell out of me. I'm not sure you can say that I've been calling this team "dog shit" for weeks though.

Todd4State
05-05-2014, 02:01 AM
We're currently 7-9 against the RPI top 50 per Warren Nolan. Tennessee is currently at 30 and Alabama is at 25.

Quaoarsking
05-05-2014, 06:38 AM
Hopefully Western Carolina (56) and Arkansas (52) pull themselves into the top 50. It would also be nice if Michigan State (107) could get into the top 100.

DudyDawg
05-05-2014, 09:12 AM
Todd what are your thoughts about hosting?

Say we win at the very least 2 of 3 for the remaining series's and make a run in the sec (as in semi, final, or title)

If that happens which it very well can do we host?

Coach34
05-05-2014, 09:21 AM
I think to host we have to be in the top 3 of the SEC and we have to have an RPI no lower than 20-23

UPig had an RPI in the 30's last year and kept them from hosting. We have to get our RPI lower. Curmudgeon is the numbers guy and he can help with what winning 5 our last 6 would do for us there.

DudyDawg
05-05-2014, 09:42 AM
I think to host we have to be in the top 3 of the SEC and we have to have an RPI no lower than 20-23

UPig had an RPI in the 30's last year and kept them from hosting. We have to get our RPI lower. Curmudgeon is the numbers guy and he can help with what winning 5 our last 6 would do for us there.

Do you know our rpi right now? And I think winning two out of three all the way gives us a good chance to get in a top three

RougeDawg
05-05-2014, 09:51 AM
I think 5-1 to finish out and a win in SEC tourney will warrant a host. 4-2 and 2+ wins in tourney will give a damn good shot. All those W's will most likely be against top 35 RPI teams. Hard to overlook a team in a power conference finishing that way if any of the 3 ahead of us struggle.

Todd4State
05-05-2014, 12:04 PM
Todd what are your thoughts about hosting?

Say we win at the very least 2 of 3 for the remaining series's and make a run in the sec (as in semi, final, or title)

If that happens which it very well can do we host?

Unfortunately, I don't think so. I think our only chance is to win out. And even then that may not be enough.

We have to not lose to Holy Cross and Jacksonville State if we want to host.

maroonmania
05-05-2014, 12:48 PM

Six games against decent RPI competition (TN, Bama) is not a large enough sample size at this stage to move our RPI 15+ spots. Just ain't happening probably even if we go 6-0. If we make a deep run in the tourney that would certainy help but I'm not sure tourney results factor much into host spots.

State82
05-05-2014, 09:17 PM
Six games against decent RPI competition (TN, Bama) is not a large enough sample size at this stage to move our RPI 15+ spots. Just ain't happening probably even if we go 6-0. If we make a deep run in the tourney that would certainy help but I'm not sure tourney results factor much into host spots.

You're right. We made no discernible move this weekend after the sweep. AU is #67, but still. I thought a 20-10 conference record might do it, but now I'm not so sure. Might take a run to the tourney championship, but I'm in agreement with you. I don't think the SEC tourney has much bearing on host sites.