PDA

View Full Version : Our top baseball rivals

DudyDawg
05-04-2014, 04:19 PM
I saw some tweets from I think SEC baseball asking people to name their school's top three to five baseball rivals and was curious who y'all thought ours were.

I say obviously LSU and TSUN 1-2.

I'm not sure who follows though. I would say maybe Vandy just based on the historically good programs we both have? What do you all think

blacklistedbully
05-04-2014, 04:22 PM
USM in the mix. Guess you could say UK, due to carry-over from football and basketball.

Saltydog
proximity and over the years they've had some nice clubs. It was a really good rivalry in the late 90's. UF because historically both programs have had a good bit of success.

bgdog
Florida was a pretty strong rivalry for a bit.

Will James
05-04-2014, 04:23 PM
LSU and Ole Miss are the only ones on "rival" level.

UK recently and UF is there because of the Super but nobody comes close to OM and LSU

DownwardDawg
05-04-2014, 04:23 PM
USM in the mix. Guess you could say UK, due to carry-over from football and basketball.

I don't think of USM when I think of baseball....or football, or basketball, or tennis, or................................................ .........

Goat Holder
05-04-2014, 04:24 PM
LSU easily no. 1. I'd say Alabama no. 2. Ole Miss isn't in there with them because they sucked back in the day.

WTF kind of history does Vandy have before Corbin? Are you smoking crack?

messageboardsuperhero
05-04-2014, 04:24 PM
LSU and UM are our biggest. UF was pretty big in 2011-12 because of the bad blood between Cohen and their jackass coach.

DudyDawg
05-04-2014, 04:28 PM
I mainly threw in VANDY bc of recent success and battles in recent Sec tournament. That was kind of by default. Also wanted to say bama and maybe Florida. And no I stay away from crack mostly freebase heroin

Goat Holder
05-04-2014, 04:31 PM
Just a quick question.......Florida gets mention as a RIVAL simply due to one year's bad blood? Not to mention they've pretty much always owned us as long as I can remember. I remember our better teams getting swept by mediocre Florida teams routinely. We used to always play them as the opening SEC series and and they'd beat us like 2-1, 1-0, and 10-2 every year it seemed.

Todd4State
1. Ole Miss
2. LSU
3. Varies. You could make a case for Florida, Vanderbilt, and Alabama. We recruit against all of them.
4. USM

Goat Holder
Me either. USM and UK as rivals in baseball is beyond laughable.

Goat Holder
05-04-2014, 04:33 PM
I mainly threw in VANDY bc of recent success and battles in recent Sec tournament. That was kind of by default.

Well are you looking for recent rivalries or traditional rivalries? I don't even think Vanderbilt is a recent rival. All they've done recently is beat our ass.

blacklistedbully
05-04-2014, 04:54 PM
Me either. USM and UK as rivals in baseball is beyond laughable.

USM not laughable. They have a good program and are an in-state rival. The separation between conferences is not as great as in football. USM & Rice have put out great products. Several other in their league have been quality. We also fight with them on recruits at times.

I threw UK in as a "scraping the bottom of the barrel" thing. They have been successful lately. They are our permanent cross-over rival in football, and we, until recently, were one of the few teams to give them a run-for-their money in basketball, thus the carryover thing. We also took Cohen away from them when they were at their zenith with him. Probably means more to them than us, but even to us, I suspect it's maybe a tad more than other possibilities at the 4 or 5-spot.

bulldawg28
05-04-2014, 04:56 PM
Why are we saying LSU when we rarely beat them? I understand back in the day history but that's not the case as of late.

DudyDawg
05-04-2014, 05:00 PM
I don't necessarily agree w the thought that a rivalry has to be even. I think it's more about how the games are played than the outcome, and what it means to fans. Look how many of our fans come out when we play LSU. Just this year there were words of hate from their coaches about us. I think that kind of stuff is just as important to a rivalry as wins/losses.

Todd4State
05-04-2014, 05:05 PM
Rarely beat LSU? We have a 4-7 record against them the past three years.

bulldawg28
05-04-2014, 05:12 PM
Rarely beat LSU? We have a 4-7 record against them the past three years.

When was the last time we won a series over them?

bulldawg28
05-04-2014, 05:15 PM
I don't necessarily agree w the thought that a rivalry has to be even. I think it's more about how the games are played than the outcome, and what it means to fans. Look how many of our fans come out when we play LSU. Just this year there were words of hate from their coaches about us. I think that kind of stuff is just as important to a rivalry as wins/losses.

IMO that's more of who your playing and respect for them. Most fans would rather see a top team play rather than a lower tier team.Again, this is just my opinion not flaming.

esplanade91
05-04-2014, 05:19 PM
Just a quick question.......Florida gets mention as a RIVAL simply due to one year's bad blood? Not to mention they've pretty much always owned us as long as I can remember. I remember our better teams getting swept by mediocre Florida teams routinely. We used to always play them as the opening SEC series and and they'd beat us like 2-1, 1-0, and 10-2 every year it seemed.

Not to mention them hiring our coach. I hate Florida almost entirely because of their current coach. LSU and UM, but USM deserves an honorable mention. They always manage to snag a good player or two from us too.

BulldogBear
05-04-2014, 05:25 PM
There was a time when SEC baseball was MSU, Florida, and whoever else happened to step up and be having a good year. LSU came along at some point and again it was us 3 and everyone else, so those two have to be in there. So you got Florida and LSU. Who else? Ole Miss because they're Ole Miss and recently have been competitive. Alabama because of proximity and it seems that they may be the only SEC school with a winning record against us but I don't think I've checked that in a decade so it may well have shifted to some others as well. Vandy? no. Kentucky? no. We used to play Delta State a lot as well UNO. Both have had baseball success. We have always thrown down with South Alabama. I'm gonna have to say that these are our top 5 with 1-4 in no particular order:

Florida
LSU
Alabama
Ole Miss
South Alabama

Goat Holder
05-04-2014, 07:56 PM
Very good point on South Alabama. I was going to add them in there earlier. They are more of a rival to me than USM any day of the week.

tcdog70
05-04-2014, 08:40 PM
In Baseball since the 60s
1. LSU
2. UM
3. Bama

**** USM and South Bama

gravedigger
05-04-2014, 08:47 PM
Lsu .......and there isn't a number 2 unless you are old like me and remember the wooden stands at dudy noble and the birth of the lounge. We put 8800 in there against bama.

MsStateBaseball
05-04-2014, 09:32 PM
Since, the 80's, LSU and Bama period. OM third. Fla comes in next. Om sucked at Baseball for decades, there was no rivalry.

drummerdawg
05-05-2014, 12:00 AM
1 Lsu
2 om
3 historically probably bama
4 Florida
5 maybe usm

Bothrops
05-05-2014, 07:12 AM
USM not laughable. They have a good program and are an in-state rival. The separation between conferences is not as great as in football. USM & Rice have put out great products. Several other in their league have been quality. We also fight with them on recruits at times.

I threw UK in as a "scraping the bottom of the barrel" thing. They have been successful lately. They are our permanent cross-over rival in football, and we, until recently, were one of the few teams to give them a run-for-their money in basketball, thus the carryover thing. We also took Cohen away from them when they were at their zenith with him. Probably means more to them than us, but even to us, I suspect it's maybe a tad more than other possibilities at the 4 or 5-spot.

Yep USM was 4-0 against OM and Bama this year.

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-05-2014, 07:54 AM
1) LSU
2) Bama
3) UF
4) OM

Ole miss could certainly move to #2 on this list in the next few years but that is the list since 1980ish. You could probably switch bama and florida and there wouldnt be a problem.

Pollodawg
05-05-2014, 08:22 AM
In baseball, it's LSU. Screw a Bayou Bunghole.

tcdog70
05-05-2014, 04:42 PM
Lsu .......and there isn't a number 2 unless you are old like me and remember the wooden stands at dudy noble and the birth of the lounge. We put 8800 in there against bama.

WERE YOU AT THE FIRST GAME UNDER THE LIGHTS VS THE REBS? OR WHEN RICK DIXON HIT THE GRAND SLAM TO BEAT THE VOLS IN SEC CHAMPIONSHIP