PDA

View Full Version : Updated Standings

basedog
05-04-2014, 08:11 AM
With some luck, we may have a chance to get a bye in the SEC Tournament. Finishing 4th would also be a good thing in the highly regarded SEC! As much as the naysayers talk about Cohen, this team still has a chance. I like most have given up on this team a few times this year only to get back on the "moving wagon". The naysayers keep saying what a idiot Cohen is but I just don't see it, he has brought our program back from the dead and I only see better days ahead. My Dad who was a huge baseball fan use to always say "good pitching and defense will beat good hitting". I just don't get the bashing of Cohen on every single bad play or mistake, yes he does head scratching decisions but he does way more good than bad, look at his post season play, that tells a lot of the story!
I've seen way more baseball at Msu than the majority on this board, and the sky isn't falling!

1 - Florida 17 - 6
2 - TSUN 15 - 8
3 - LSU 13 - 9 - 1
4 - MSU 13 - 10
5 - Alabama 13 - 10
6 - USC 13 - 10
7 - Vanderbilt 13 - 10
8 - Texas A&M 11 - 12
9 - Arkansas 10 - 13
10 - Kentucky 10 - 14
11 - Tennessee 10 - 14
12 - Auburn 9 - 14
13 - Georgia 8 - 14 - 1
14 - Missouri 6 - 17

DawgSaint
05-04-2014, 08:24 AM
Winning today will be a must if we want a chance at Top 4 in league. I can see us taking 2of 3 from both UT and Bama. However, one at a time...Let's win today!

Todd4State
05-04-2014, 12:16 PM
With some luck, we may have a chance to get a bye in the SEC Tournament. Finishing 4th would also be a good thing in the highly regarded SEC! As much as the naysayers talk about Cohen, this team still has a chance. I like most have given up on this team a few times this year only to get back on the "moving wagon". The naysayers keep saying what a idiot Cohen is but I just don't see it, he has brought our program back from the dead and I only see better days ahead. My Dad who was a huge baseball fan use to always say "good pitching and defense will beat good hitting". I just don't get the bashing of Cohen on every single bad play or mistake, yes he does head scratching decisions but he does way more good than bad, look at his post season play, that tells a lot of the story!
I've seen way more baseball at Msu than the majority on this board, and the sky isn't falling!

1 - Florida 17 - 6
2 - TSUN 15 - 8
3 - LSU 13 - 9 - 1
4 - MSU 13 - 10
5 - Alabama 13 - 10
6 - USC 13 - 10
7 - Vanderbilt 13 - 10
8 - Texas A&M 11 - 12
9 - Arkansas 10 - 13
10 - Kentucky 10 - 14
11 - Tennessee 10 - 14
12 - Auburn 9 - 14
13 - Georgia 8 - 14 - 1
14 - Missouri 6 - 17

I agree 100%. We just have to keep winning and everything will take care of itself.

blacklistedbully
05-04-2014, 12:55 PM
My problem with the "naysayers" talk is that most of us who are occasionally critical of the team aren't the jackasses others on here would like to label us. One does not have to be cheerleader-like to be a good, supportive fan. One does not have to suspend objectivity to be a good, loyal fan.

In my experience, the vast majority of us who have been at times critical, have also been steady, ardent fans and followers, cheering on our team as much as the next fan. What is total BS is for other posters on here to attack those fans who have anything negative to say, no matter how plausible their point may be.

The irony here, is that I've been accused of being "too optimistic" & "too negative" on the same board regarding our sports teams and my predictions/expectations, etc. The latest personal example is another poster on here crawling up my ass because I had the audacity to suggest we might need to "wait & see" if we'd really turned the corner immediately following our sweep of Mizzou. I'd simply said, though I did view the sweep as a positive, I did not consider Mizzou a good team, and that I thought we should wait and see how we performed versus OM & TAMU before we declared ourselves very good and ready to make a run at hosting a regional. We'd got handled by LSU & OM prior to the Mizzou sweep, so I wanted to withhold judgement until I saw how we did versus good opponents. I even made it clear that my evaluation was against "hosting a regional" as opposed to merely making one.

For some, that kind of "negativity" warrants insult. It's not enough to simply disagree.

War Machine Dawg
05-04-2014, 02:42 PM
My problem with the "naysayers" talk is that most of us who are occasionally critical of the team aren't the jackasses others on here would like to label us. One does not have to be cheerleader-like to be a good, supportive fan. One does not have to suspend objectivity to be a good, loyal fan.

In my experience, the vast majority of us who have been at times critical, have also been steady, ardent fans and followers, cheering on our team as much as the next fan. What is total BS is for other posters on here to attack those fans who have anything negative to say, no matter how plausible their point may be.

The irony here, is that I've been accused of being "too optimistic" & "too negative" on the same board regarding our sports teams and my predictions/expectations, etc. The latest personal example is another poster on here crawling up my ass because I had the audacity to suggest we might need to "wait & see" if we'd really turned the corner immediately following our sweep of Mizzou. I'd simply said, though I did view the sweep as a positive, I did not consider Mizzou a good team, and that I thought we should wait and see how we performed versus OM & TAMU before we declared ourselves very good and ready to make a run at hosting a regional. We'd got handled by LSU & OM prior to the Mizzou sweep, so I wanted to withhold judgement until I saw how we did versus good opponents. I even made it clear that my evaluation was against "hosting a regional" as opposed to merely making one.

For some, that kind of "negativity" warrants insult. It's not enough to simply disagree.

Totally agree with this.

basedog
05-04-2014, 04:15 PM
Hey, my post isn't about the negative comments, it's the naysayers calling Cohen an idiot on every move he makes that doesn't work. I except the criticizing on things Cohen may do or does do, but to keep beating the man down is retarded!

And now, it's looking like we are in a race, not only for the West, but a chance to host. 14-10 is a good thing with Tn coming to Starkville this weekend, I expect some big crowds for the last weekend.

thedawg
05-04-2014, 04:23 PM
If we win the west with an 18-12 record and have a respectable 2-2 showing in Hoover, do we host?

basedog
05-04-2014, 04:35 PM
I would think so.

Goat Holder
05-04-2014, 04:39 PM
As much as the naysayers talk about Cohen, this team still has a chance........I've seen way more baseball at Msu than the majority on this board

I love how you make the first statement, and then the next. Honestly, if you really know what you're talking about, you don't have to proclaim it. It's fairly easy to see the knowledgeable baseball posters here.

Todd4State
05-04-2014, 04:41 PM

You're the one who bumped up the Governor's Cup thread and started it. That was when it started to get personal. Don't act like you're the innocent fan who I just decided to jump their ass one day.

basedog
05-04-2014, 04:56 PM
Goat, proclaim nothing, it's a fact. LOL! Should have seen Phil Still play!

Todd4State
05-04-2014, 05:00 PM
If we win the west with an 18-12 record and have a respectable 2-2 showing in Hoover, do we host?

I still think we have to go 19-11 to have a chance at hosting. We really need to sweep Tennessee and win the Alabama series. Doing that should put our RPI in the 20's.

blacklistedbully
05-04-2014, 05:07 PM
Hey, my post isn't about the negative comments, it's the naysayers calling Cohen an idiot on every move he makes that doesn't work. I except the criticizing on things Cohen may do or does do, but to keep beating the man down is retarded!

And now, it's looking like we are in a race, not only for the West, but a chance to host. 14-10 is a good thing with Tn coming to Starkville this weekend, I expect some big crowds for the last weekend.

Yeah, I wasn't really accusing you, just using your post to comment on a recently hot related topic. There is at least 1 regular poster on here, though that is routinely unbearably negative. I just ignore what he posts, as it's over-the-top, round-the-clock negative, no matter what.

Quaoarsking
05-04-2014, 05:16 PM

Probably not. Our RPI would still be in the high 20s, presumably. We would at least be in the conversation though.

Also, I don't think Hoover can really help us, certainly not if we only go 2-2. Remember 2 years ago we were a bubble hosting candidate and winning the whole SECT didn't get us a hosting bid.

MarketingBully01
05-04-2014, 05:48 PM
Probably not. Our RPI would still be in the high 20s, presumably. We would at least be in the conversation though.

Also, I don't think Hoover can really help us, certainly not if we only go 2-2. Remember 2 years ago we were a bubble hosting candidate and winning the whole SECT didn't get us a hosting bid.

If we end up winning the west and get to the finals of the tourney, we will host. But that is a huge IF right there. A lot of things have to fall our way to get there. If we sweep out though and get to 20-10 that should be enough to host. We haven't had an SEC record like that in decades.

Todd4State
05-04-2014, 05:49 PM

I may be biased, but I think we got messed over that year. They evened it out by giving us a good draw last year though.

It's hard to say how much the SEC Tournament would or wouldn't help us since we have no idea who we're going to be playing. I will say that I don't think it makes that much of a difference unless you are a bubble team for getting into the regionals and you win the automatic bid.

Todd4State
05-04-2014, 05:52 PM
If we end up winning the west and get to the finals of the tourney, we will host. But that is a huge IF right there. A lot of things have to fall our way to get there. If we sweep out though and get to 20-10 that should be enough to host. We haven't had an SEC record like that in decades.

If we win the West, we should host. Even if we go two and bar-b-que in the SEC Tournament. Of course, to do that I anticipate that we would have to have 19-20 wins anyway. Winning the West means that we would be one of the top three teams in the SEC.

Saltydog
05-04-2014, 06:58 PM
don't see it happening and even if we should I'm not sure we will. Our RPI is still in the high 30's. That doesn't bode well. See Arkansas last year. That's us.

State82
05-04-2014, 09:04 PM

I would guess no. If we win out to go 20-10, 37-18 overall I think we would. That, of course, would give us a bye on the first day at Hoover, and I don't think the SEC tourney would have much bearing on hosting at that point. Even winning out (excluding the conference tourney) won't get us in the Top 16 rpi but I still think we would host. That is a real long shot though. Real long.

DawgSaint
05-04-2014, 09:05 PM

They had already given out host sites before we won tourney. The rule changed the next season. As a matter of fact, some around the country called it the "Mississippi State rule."

Jack Lambert
05-04-2014, 09:05 PM
If we win the West, we should host. Even if we go two and bar-b-que in the SEC Tournament. Of course, to do that I anticipate that we would have to have 19-20 wins anyway. Winning the West means that we would be one of the top three teams in the SEC.

We are going to win the SEC tourney.

DawgSaint
05-04-2014, 09:11 PM
We are going to win the SEC tourney.

Hope you are as serious as Vicki Vallencort was when she said the Mud Dawgs were gonna win 30 to 27