PDA

View Full Version : Tulane's baseball coach is stepping down

Todd4State
05-04-2014, 01:17 AM
Rick Jones is having issues with his blood pressure and stress. They are not having a good year either.

I hate to see that happen to anyone and I feel bad for him- but the reason I'm talking about this is because it may open a door to where we maybe could play Tulane in Biloxi or even New Orleans.

There is a chance that Jones could come back next year for Tulane, but even if he does that is scheduled to be his last season per an arrangement he has made with Tulane prior to this season.

At this point, I'm not exactly sure what direction they are going to go in. They have an interim coach who is a former legend there.

Regardless, I do hope we play them because they are a solid baseball program and I think it would be a good series to start up.

gravedigger
05-04-2014, 05:53 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but is there some issue with Jones and MSU that prevents this now?

sbcmortgageman
05-04-2014, 06:24 AM
Apparently under Polk, we talked one of the Tulane players to request an out with his LOI so we could resign him either immediately or after one yeat of JUCO ball. I can't remember the specifics or which player, however. And I'm not sure it was ever proven true. I'm sure Todd has the specifics.

M.Fillmore
05-04-2014, 07:37 AM
The stink was Jarrod Parks who Polk didn't sign, and went to Meridian Juco and then Tulane and Cohen wanted him and Parks transferred. Rick Jones was really angry over Parks leaving. Of course when Parks became a .400 hitter for us that only poured napalm on the flame. I'm sure there are more details someone can add.

msstate7
05-04-2014, 08:09 AM
Wonder if they'll give butch Thompson a look

Todd4State
05-04-2014, 12:11 PM
Apparently under Polk, we talked one of the Tulane players to request an out with his LOI so we could resign him either immediately or after one yeat of JUCO ball. I can't remember the specifics or which player, however. And I'm not sure it was ever proven true. I'm sure Todd has the specifics.

That's pretty much the gist of it.

Todd4State
05-04-2014, 12:12 PM
Wonder if they'll give butch Thompson a look

They would probably love to have him. I don't think he would take it though.

BulldogBear
05-04-2014, 01:12 PM
Hopefully we can get a early season weekend tournament with a round robin where USM, State, and UM play Tulane, ULL, and LSU if they'll come. If not get USAla or LaTech.