PDA

View Full Version : Bowl games reshuffled

FISHDAWG
05-02-2014, 02:00 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10872678/fewer-bowl-games-set-new-year-eve-day-accommodate-college-football-playoff

hacker
05-02-2014, 03:10 PM
I'm struggling to understand what they are saying is going on. It says "only playoff bowl games" are played on Dec. 31, but those are not playoff games, unless I'm missing something. The only two actual playoffs are the Rose and Sugar Bowls.

scottycameron
05-02-2014, 03:17 PM
I'm struggling to understand what they are saying is going on. It says "only playoff bowl games" are played on Dec. 31, but those are not playoff games, unless I'm missing something. The only two actual playoffs are the Rose and Sugar Bowls.

It makes no sense. Reminds me of BCS games. WTH was that? Bowl championship series? Like a nascar bush cup malboro sprint series? They just make stupid crap up in college football lingo circles I guess.

Covercorner2
05-02-2014, 03:37 PM
I believe the Peach, Fiesta, Orange, Cotton, Rose and Sugar are the 6 bowls that form the "pool" in which the 2 semifinal bowls are picked from. This season it will be the Rose and the Sugar, but the next year it will be two of the OTHER 4 of the 6 (not sure without looking it up which ones). Basically it seems like they are trying to make those 6 games the premier games regardless if they are used for the playoffs that year or not....

Jack Lambert
05-02-2014, 03:38 PM

Are you sure? I thought the Chick Filet and Cotton bowls are going to be the play off and the the four former BCS bowls were going to rotate for the National Championship. That's what I thought could be wrong.

smootness
05-02-2014, 04:25 PM
Are you sure? I thought the Chick Filet and Cotton bowls are going to be the play off and the the four former BCS bowls were going to rotate for the National Championship. That's what I thought could be wrong.

No, they're all equal now, and none of them will host the championship game. All 6 bowls will rotate as to who hosts the semifinal games, and the committee will also select the participants for the 4 bowls among this group in years where they aren't hosting a semifinal game.

The championship game will then be played at a location specifically selected for the game, like they do the Super Bowl.

For instance, this year it will be at JerryWorld, but it won't be considered the Cotton Bowl. It will be in Glendale the year after that, but then the 3rd year it will be in Tampa, which isn't tied to any of the 6 bowl games.

Todd4State
05-02-2014, 04:35 PM
Looks like more bowls during the first week of January. That's a good thing to me.

hacker
05-02-2014, 05:21 PM
Ah, so they just meant "part of the bowls that make up the playoff rotation."

The way it was written made it sound like they were part of the playoff this year.

Jack Lambert
05-02-2014, 10:16 PM
No, they're all equal now, and none of them will host the championship game. All 6 bowls will rotate as to who hosts the semifinal games, and the committee will also select the participants for the 4 bowls among this group in years where they aren't hosting a semifinal game.

The championship game will then be played at a location specifically selected for the game, like they do the Super Bowl.

For instance, this year it will be at JerryWorld, but it won't be considered the Cotton Bowl. It will be in Glendale the year after that, but then the 3rd year it will be in Tampa, which isn't tied to any of the 6 bowl games.

That make sense.

PMDawg
05-03-2014, 08:43 AM
76 team playing in bowl games this year?! that's just stupid. Almost 2/3 of all teams will play in a bowl this year. They need to cut that number in half.

mic
05-03-2014, 08:56 AM
ESPN runs college football. They will do whatever is best for them..

Pollodawg
05-03-2014, 10:42 AM
ESPN runs college football. They will do whatever is best for them..

Yep. It's all about how many folks are turning on the tube and tuning in.

BulldogBear
05-03-2014, 11:04 AM
ESPN ruins college football. They will do whatever is best for them..

Fixed that... in some ways.

Reason2succeed
05-03-2014, 06:17 PM
I like it. It will create more of a tournament feel by moving the other games to other dates. Plus, it means that you might actually have more games worth watching on other days instead of overlapping.

dickiedawg
05-03-2014, 10:35 PM
They're calling those the "New Years Six" and they'll be the new premiere football games a la BCS.