PDA

View Full Version : Thy wool runneth over...

GreaterCowbell
05-02-2014, 11:00 AM
More Prescott Articles.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/82725/prescott-is-reshaping-his-game-in-starkville

TheRef
05-02-2014, 11:55 AM
Praise Dak from who all wooliness flow.
Praise him all Cowbells here and fro.

Pollodawg
05-02-2014, 11:56 AM
What I fear most about Dak is that Dan will try to over-coach him. Let him do what he does.

preachermatt83
05-02-2014, 12:11 PM
What I fear most about Dak is that Dan will try to over-coach him. Let him do what he does.

this

slickdawg
05-02-2014, 12:20 PM
At least we won't see him run Perkins up the middle three straight times. *******

smootness
05-02-2014, 12:39 PM

I'm not sure why anyone would fear this. I don't think Mullen has ever taken a QB and tried to make him into something he's not. With Alex Smith, it was a true wide-open attack where they could run every play in the playbook. He used Tebow like he initially used Prescott as a freshman and just had him come in to pound it up the middle, then continued to let him run but opened up more and more of the playbook as time went on.

When we had Tyson Lee at QB, we relied a great deal on Dixon. When it was Relf, we ran about 90% of the time. When Russell took over, though he just wasn't suited to what Mullen likes to do, he still tried to make us a pass-based offense.

I don't see any reason Mullen would do anything but what he's always done with Prescott, which is to let him be exactly who he is.

Remember when everyone was so bummed that Mullen couldn't get any good QB recruits, and we had to settle for some 2-star camp invite named Dak? Those were good times.

Pollodawg
05-02-2014, 12:57 PM
I'm not sure why anyone would fear this. I don't think Mullen has ever taken a QB and tried to make him into something he's not. With Alex Smith, it was a true wide-open attack where they could run every play in the playbook. He used Tebow like he initially used Prescott as a freshman and just had him come in to pound it up the middle, then continued to let him run but opened up more and more of the playbook as time went on.

When we had Tyson Lee at QB, we relied a great deal on Dixon. When it was Relf, we ran about 90% of the time. When Russell took over, though he just wasn't suited to what Mullen likes to do, he still tried to make us a pass-based offense.

I don't see any reason Mullen would do anything but what he's always done with Prescott, which is to let him be exactly who he is.

Remember when everyone was so bummed that Mullen couldn't get any good QB recruits, and we had to settle for some 2-star camp invite named Dak? Those were good times.

Let me rephrase then. I fear Dan will try to prove a point that Dak can throw as well as anyone and take a huge weapon--his legs--out of the equation. Dak has a God given talent. Sharpen it, don't try to change its course.

smootness
05-02-2014, 01:02 PM
Let me rephrase then. I fear Dan will try to prove a point that Dak can throw as well as anyone and take a huge weapon--his legs--out of the equation. Dak has a God given talent. Sharpen it, don't try to change its course.

Well, again, I have no idea why anyone would fear that. He has allowed all of his QBs who could run to run continuously. He obviously realizes it is a major weapon in Prescott's case. Shoot, he even tried to run some read-option with Tyler Russell.

If there's one thing we know about Mullen, it's that he wants his QB to be a serious weapon on the ground. He may not have ever coached a better running QB than Prescott, and Dak led our team in rushing last year despite not playing every snap.

I'm sure he wants him to continue to improve as a passer to open up more of the playbook and to make us more dangerous, but Prescott will always be a major weapon on the ground.

Pollodawg
05-02-2014, 01:12 PM
Well, again, I have no idea why anyone would fear that. He has allowed all of his QBs who could run to run continuously. He obviously realizes it is a major weapon in Prescott's case. Shoot, he even tried to run some read-option with Tyler Russell.

If there's one thing we know about Mullen, it's that he wants his QB to be a serious weapon on the ground. He may not have ever coached a better running QB than Prescott, and Dak led our team in rushing last year despite not playing every snap.

I'm sure he wants him to continue to improve as a passer to open up more of the playbook and to make us more dangerous, but Prescott will always be a major weapon on the ground.

I hope you're right, and I am just being a negative Nancy. I just have this lingering fear that something is going to jack this season up.

Jack Lambert
05-02-2014, 01:38 PM
I hope you're right, and I am just being a negative Nancy. I just have this lingering fear that something is going to jack this season up.

WE ARE MISSISSIPPI STATE!

starkvegasdawg
05-02-2014, 01:47 PM
At least we won't see him run Perkins up the middle three straight times. *******
Hopefully, that job won't be taken by Holloway this season.

justwin
05-02-2014, 01:49 PM
Ole Asschaps just can't help himself with his angle on reporting on MSU....

Funny. So, Dak, who has been on campus for four years now & in the same playbook, is almost starting over? He was not the full-time starter last yr, and didn't play the full season, but there is a reason he's getting love form the Nat'l media mind you. He did well in the spots that he played. It's only logical for one to leap to a conclusion that he is going to be very good as the full-time starter.

Let's be honest, Mullen lost us the AUB game last year. Dak had a field day vs them, but Mullen clamped down in 2nd half & was content with a FG lead, and we lost b/c of it. But, to say that he is rebuilding his on-field image is a bit much. Asschaps tries to be complimentary in article, I can see that, but it's a bit back of the hand, ya know. Last yr, Dak was the exact same role as Tebow was his 1st yr alongside Leak. He wasn't asked to do anything other than provide change of pace, come in & run the option, and pass little.

"Prescott is looking to rebuild his on-field image. He wants his feet to be faster, his decision-making quicker, and he wants to process more than just one play before, during and after the ball is snapped". Really...the kicker from chaps is that this came in the "ugly" win vs TSUN. Asschaps lambasted the SEC ESPN blog for months on the 2012 TSUN egg bowl and made it to be so much more so than it was, but our win was "ugly"?

What qb out there wouldn't say the same thing, or will work on the same things in the offseason?? I'm talking from Brady, Peyton, Brees, all the way down to Dak, Mariotta, Braxton, even high school..

"If Prescott is going to be a more complete player, he has to learn how to adjust when plays break down. He needs to recognize defenses, especially when they show exotic looks. He wants to manage things when they go outside of the norm, and he wants to keep his feet steady after the first, second and third progressions." If Dak has done anything thus far it's adapting when the play breaks down. His next step will be adjusting pre-snap & that comes with experience.

I think we saw a glimpse of him adjusting on the fly vs Rice, and how it started to, mayhaps, finally start to click in. He kept his head up & down the field when scrambling & dumped the ball off underneath for some big gains when, earlier in the year, he would've just taken off. That's how JFF made a ton of plays for A&M. For me, the arm isn't a question for him as I thought he showed it off vs TSUN & Rice. I think qb coach, Johnson, is going to end up being a really solid hire for us & have us look back at Koenning asking why was he around for as long as he was…

I hate Asschaps....I do love that Asschaps nickname that someone on here branded him with though

Pollodawg
05-02-2014, 02:26 PM
Yeah, I agree with the fact that if Dak hasn't been versatile, he's been nothing. He is way more versatile than anyone on the team. And as far as Dak starting over, that's bologna. Dak's taking over.

DanDority
05-02-2014, 02:54 PM
Hopefully, that job won't be taken by Holloway this season.

From watching the spring game, I fear this may happen.

thf24
05-02-2014, 03:18 PM

If it does, at least we won't have to endure it for long. If Mullen gives Holloway as many carries between the tackles as he did Perkins, he'll get broken in half by the LSU game.

smootness
05-02-2014, 04:03 PM

Holloway ran the ball 3 more times in the 2013 spring game than he did in 2014.

Perkins may not have been used the way everyone would prefer all the time, but he was our best RB. He was the starter, and he got most of the carries, even if someone else may have been preferable in certain situations.

We're not suddenly going to start using our #4 or #5 running back all the time up the middle just because he's the smallest, slightest guy in the backfield.

Robinson will be the man this year and will get a large majority of the carries. What he doesn't get will mostly be divided among Shumpert and Griffin more than likely. Holloway, if he is used much at all, will be given a few sweeps and may line up some in the diamond formation to give us a different option there.

The thought that Holloway will line up as our main back and be given the ball on draws is laughable.

CadaverDawg
05-02-2014, 04:32 PM
Holloway ran the ball 3 more times in the 2013 spring game than he did in 2014.

Perkins may not have been used the way everyone would prefer all the time, but he was our best RB. He was the starter, and he got most of the carries, even if someone else may have been preferable in certain situations.

We're not suddenly going to start using our #4 or #5 running back all the time up the middle just because he's the smallest, slightest guy in the backfield.

Robinson will be the man this year and will get a large majority of the carries. What he doesn't get will mostly be divided among Shumpert and Griffin more than likely. Holloway, if he is used much at all, will be given a few sweeps and may line up some in the diamond formation to give us a different option there.

The thought that Holloway will line up as our main back and be given the ball on draws is laughable.

Smoot, I pretty much agree with your stance in this thread, but I disagree about the Perkins thing. It is completely ok to worry about RB considering our 3rd best RB received all of the up the middle carries last year. Robinson and Shumpert are better between the tackles, yet Mullen ran Perkins. Now, I don't see Holloway being used that way bc he's not a Senior (thank God)....but for some fans to question it is not all that crazy considering recent history.

The bottom line is, unless it is a reverse or sweep to the edges, Robinson, Shump, and Dak should be our only ball carriers this year in the run game. Maybe Griffin on occasion.

War Machine Dawg
05-02-2014, 05:07 PM

Shump got banged up very early in the spring game. And the reason Holloway is being given touches "up the middle" is in hopes that he can find the crease and quickly break a long run. When we do that, it's not that we're asking him to be a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" style RB. The problem is he doesn't seem to have the vision, patience, or toughness for that to work effectively.

Pollodawg
05-02-2014, 07:23 PM
Holloway needs return kicks. End of story.

preachermatt83
05-02-2014, 09:29 PM
Smoot, I pretty much agree with your stance in this thread, but I disagree about the Perkins thing. It is completely ok to worry about RB considering our 3rd best RB received all of the up the middle carries last year. Robinson and Shumpert are better between the tackles, yet Mullen ran Perkins. Now, I don't see Holloway being used that way bc he's not a Senior (thank God)....but for some fans to question it is not all that crazy considering recent history.

The bottom line is, unless it is a reverse or sweep to the edges, Robinson, Shump, and Dak should be our only ball carriers this year in the run game. Maybe Griffin on occasion.

you are missing what he is saying Cadaver ... He said PERKINS WAS OUR BEST BACK! Good grief of all the things Ive seen that's a new one.

thf24
05-02-2014, 11:24 PM
you are missing what he is saying Cadaver ... He said PERKINS WAS OUR BEST BACK! Good grief of all the things Ive seen that's a new one.

Devil's advocate here, but it's not a stretch to say he might have been our best overall back. Senior experience, serviceable runner, great hands out of the backfield, and an excellent pass blocker. One thing nagging at the back of my mind is that we didn't see enough of J-Rob last year to know if he was a reliable enough pass blocker to be our #1 back, which alone could have explained why we saw mostly Perkins.

J-Rob was/is unquestionably the better runner, but with the way we used Dak last year, we didn't need just the best runner; it probably benefited us more having the complete package on the field next to him.

smootness
05-02-2014, 11:46 PM
Devil's advocate here, but it's not a stretch to say he might have been our best overall back. Senior experience, serviceable runner, great hands out of the backfield, and an excellent pass blocker. One thing nagging at the back of my mind is that we didn't see enough of J-Rob last year to know if he was a reliable enough pass blocker to be our #1 back, which alone could have explained why we saw mostly Perkins.

J-Rob was/is unquestionably the better runner, but with the way we used Dak last year, we didn't need just the best runner; it probably benefited us more having the complete package on the field next to him.

This is what I meant, along with the fact that he became our starter originally because he was our best RB. He may not have been our most effective runner last year, though some of that was due to him not being 100%. The guy was a very good RB for us in his career, and though he wasn't best suited for running between the tackles, he was better at it than some like to give him credit for.

His senior year was his worst year, but he had a very good career for us. The whole 'awful personnel decisions to run Perkins up the middle' has some truth to it but has been beaten to death; our use of Perkins for his career wasn't nearly as bad as some seem to believe.