PDA

View Full Version : OT: I am moving to the Atlanta area and I am looking for an Accounting job.

Tbonewannabe
05-02-2014, 08:42 AM
My wife received a promotion and we are moving to the Alpharetta area. Does anyone know any good companies I should apply to or any open positions? I have a MBA in Accounting.

I also will need a realtor for that area if anyone has any suggestions.

PassInterference
05-02-2014, 09:01 AM
Send a PM to magicdawg. He lives around Atlanta. I know he is on SPS. Not sure about here.

FISHDAWG
05-02-2014, 09:13 AM
Most of the major firms are downtown ... I know Deloitte has a very large staff there ... commuting from Alpharetta to downtown will be long and cumbersome .... bits of advice - North Fulton Co is nice but taxed very heavily and the money is sent to South Fulton .... North Cobb is nice but getting crowded ... knowing what I know, I would look for property North of Alpharetta .... I'm sure as an accountant you could find employment in Alpharetta itself .... Gwinnett Co has good spots and bad spots ... might start looking in Forsyth Co

EAVdog
05-02-2014, 09:38 AM
My wife received a promotion and we are moving to the Alpharetta area. Does anyone know any good companies I should apply to or any open positions? I have a MBA in Accounting.

I also will need a realtor for that area if anyone has any suggestions.

Alpharetta is relatively accessible. You can get on 400 quick and get to Downtown easily. Commuting is an 30-45 minute endeavor pretty much no matter where you have to go. Makes a big difference though if you have to get to daycare to pick up kiddies.

Political Hack
05-02-2014, 09:49 AM
I'd move to Forsyth or North Gwinnett. Good public schools, relatively cheap houses considering what you get on return, and the economy is continuing to grow in those areas as people become less and less willing to travel to the city for work. Braves took notice... that's why they're moving north too.

Tbonewannabe
05-02-2014, 10:16 AM
Alpharetta is relatively accessible. You can get on 400 quick and get to Downtown easily. Commuting is an 30-45 minute endeavor pretty much no matter where you have to go. Makes a big difference though if you have to get to daycare to pick up kiddies.

What I have looked at so far seems like there is a fairly decent amount of jobs in Alpharetta. I was looking for a good company to work for so I could at least concentrate because there is a wide range of jobs around Atlanta.

FISHDAWG
05-02-2014, 10:50 AM

there is usually nothing quick about Ga. 400 .... #terrible commute on average

Political Hack
05-02-2014, 11:39 AM
PIB and Peachtree parkway are much easier commutes to downtown, but it would be a pain getting to Alpharetta from there.

Tbonewannabe
05-02-2014, 11:53 AM
PIB and Peachtree parkway are much easier commutes to downtown, but it would be a pain getting to Alpharetta from there.

My wife works in retail so I prefer to have the longer commute for myself since she has days where she gets off work at 10 or 11 at night. Her job is in Alpharetta.

Political Hack
05-02-2014, 12:12 PM
outside of loooongnin Alpharetta or north of there, I'd check out Johns Creek. It's about 20-30 minutes to Alpharetta and 40 to downtown.

EAVdog
05-02-2014, 01:41 PM
there is usually nothing quick about Ga. 400 .... #terrible commute on average

We have a house in East Atlanta I worked in Midtown, and that was about as good as I think the commute gets. Ansley you are loaded and live in Ansley park and work on Peachtree, then you can just walk.

FISHDAWG
05-02-2014, 01:55 PM
We have a house in East Atlanta I worked in Midtown, and that was about as good as I think the commute gets. Ansley you are loaded and live in Ansley park and work on Peachtree, then you can just walk.

LAS, Smallwood / Reynolds , Heery, MSTSD, ..... am I getting close ?

Goat Holder
05-02-2014, 02:01 PM
What's the make-up of Atlanta when it comes to school alumni? I figure it's 40% Georgia, 30% Auburn, 10% Tech, 20% everybody else. Maybe some Clemson in there? I thought about moving there myself but it was too far from Mississippi.

Political Hack
05-03-2014, 01:39 PM
Georgia and everyone else is a distant second. Auburn is probably 2nd. With Clemson and GaTech well behind. I actually expect Kennesaw State to surpass GaTech in football attendance at some point over the next 10 years. ESPN was making fun of them because of their attendance at their "Friday night lights" spring game. It was less than 2,000 and looked to be far fewer than that.

M.Fillmore
05-03-2014, 11:03 PM
I was in Atlanta recently and stayed at the St. Regis in Buckhead. What surprised me was the really run down area near Buckhead. Lots of strip bars, lots with overgrown weeds, etc. I'm wondering how real estate can be so run down so near an expensive and ritzy area like Buckhead.

Anyone know?