PDA

View Full Version : Anyone catch Phil Steele on Bill King this morning?

PMDawg
05-02-2014, 08:18 AM
First caller was predictably some mouth breather who wasted about 2 full minutes of air time before he got around to asking how awesome ole miss would be this season. Of course Phil pointed out all of the predictable things in saying they would be good, but he brought up something I've heard him say before and even doubled down on it. He loves their RB corps, and said they are 7-8 deep and most could start in the SEC at other schools. What am I missing? Now that Jeff Scott is gone, who is there other than Mathers? I see Walton listed, but is he even any good? If they are so deep this year, then why was a DT their #2 RB at the end of last year? Maybe I'm just not up to speed on Rebel football, but I would rank their RB group about 5th or 6th in the WEST. What am I missing?

mic
05-02-2014, 08:33 AM
Yes the are deep at RB.. Need to pump the brakes on most starting for other schools.
Dodson may turn out to be their best RB.. The problem will be getting them enough touches.
They did the RN thing for pub. Just like they are with Liggins.
They better worry about who will be blocking for them

mic
05-02-2014, 08:37 AM
Also check out their WR depth chart... very thin

FISHDAWG
05-02-2014, 09:24 AM
First caller was predictably some mouth breather who wasted about 2 full minutes of air time before he got around to asking how awesome ole miss would be this season. Of course Phil pointed out all of the predictable things in saying they would be good, but he brought up something I've heard him say before and even doubled down on it. He loves their RB corps, and said they are 7-8 deep and most could start in the SEC at other schools. What am I missing? Now that Jeff Scott is gone, who is there other than Mathers? I see Walton listed, but is he even any good? If they are so deep this year, then why was a DT their #2 RB at the end of last year? Maybe I'm just not up to speed on Rebel football, but I would rank their RB group about 5th or 6th in the WEST. What am I missing?

you're missing the RB's Koolio Moore and R Kemdeechee **

Political Hack
05-02-2014, 09:29 AM
Mathers, Walton, and Dodson are all good. He was probably still counting Scott because that guys been there for six decades and Koolio because nobody really publicisized that he's done toting the rock.

UMCDawg16
05-02-2014, 09:30 AM
I'll take our RB depth chart over theirs every day of the week.

Political Hack
05-02-2014, 09:32 AM
I would take Bama's, LSU's, State's, and Arkansas's backfield over theirs without hesitation. Don't know about the others.

ShotgunDawg
05-02-2014, 09:35 AM
They are deep at RB, as it is inexcusable for any SEC team not to be deep at RB, but their problem is that all their RBs are the same. Mathers, Dodson, and Walton all run with the same style.

HancockCountyDog
05-02-2014, 09:42 AM
They are deep at RB, as it is inexcusable for any SEC team not to be deep at RB, but their problem is that all their RBs are the same. Mathers, Dodson, and Walton all run with the same style.

Their big back this year will be the juco or Wilkins the kid who's knee almost exploded in HS that was committed to AU. Im not sure he will be 100%, but he was a beast pre-injury. I've always thought they would move him to LB, but they need a big back. How come the guys that they sign that have knee injuries in HS seem to come back healthy, while ours end up never getting back up to full speed.

Their problem isn't RB, their problem is that their OL won't be able to make a hole.

Im so tired to bears this and bears that. They should have a good team, but they aren't beating Bama, they aren't beating AU, and they aren't winning in College Station. Its simply not happening. All this talk about a team that at best, goes 5-3 in the SEC, and that is if their OL stays healthy (Won't ****ing happen) and if sunshine can throw the ball more than 20 yards.

Anyone that doesn't think we have a higher ceiling than the bears are just lying to themselves.

EAVdog
05-02-2014, 09:43 AM
Doesn't matter how many RB's they have their line won't be pushing any SEC DL's around on obvious running plays. That is why they ran Kimchee, if they could make holes then Walton and Mathers could have carried the ball exclusively.

It's the Offseason, just sit back and enjoy watching Ole Miss get built into the 1984 Bears. We all know they'll collapse under the weight of over hyped expectations just like every year. It wouldn't be the Offseason otherwise.

Pollodawg
05-02-2014, 09:46 AM
If they were as talented at RB as Steele apparently made it sound like they are, they wouldn't have been shit in redzone. Surely, one of those fifteen running backs can tote the rock between the tackles, right?

Political Hack
they can win at college station. A&M could be really bad this year very easily. I think they've got a better chance of winning that one than they do the egg bowl. Four and One.

smootness
Mathers was good, his numbers were similar to Robinson's. Jaylen Walton was ok, Mark Dodson barely got any touches, and Jordan Wilkins didn't play.

They have the potential to be a good unit, but I wouldn't go out on a limb about them being great in any way until they prove it. Of course, someone who isn't a State fan could say similar things about our group, but if you're basing Ole Miss' unit on their recruiting rankings, Shumpert and Williams were better recruits than anybody they have.

7-8 deep and most could start elsewhere in the SEC? Did his mind suddenly assume he was talking about Bama? None of Ole Miss' RBs would start at Bama, LSU, Arkansas, Auburn, Texas A&M, Georgia, South Carolina, Florida, Tennessee, or State. I don't know much about the situations at Kentucky, Missouri, or Vandy.

Pollodawg
05-02-2014, 09:48 AM
they can win at college station. A&M could be really bad this year very easily. I think they've got a better chance of winning that one than they do the egg bowl. Four and One.

I have legit AM pegged out at around 7-6. There won't be anyone there to scramble for 8 seconds on third and tomorrow before heaving the ball in the general direction of a freak WR. And that D will be teh suck until Sumlin proves to me that he can coach one.

PMDawg
05-02-2014, 12:36 PM
Mathers was good, his numbers were similar to Robinson's. Jaylen Walton was ok, Mark Dodson barely got any touches, and Jordan Wilkins didn't play.

They have the potential to be a good unit, but I wouldn't go out on a limb about them being great in any way until they prove it. Of course, someone who isn't a State fan could say similar things about our group, but if you're basing Ole Miss' unit on their recruiting rankings, Shumpert and Williams were better recruits than anybody they have.

7-8 deep and most could start elsewhere in the SEC? Did his mind suddenly assume he was talking about Bama? None of Ole Miss' RBs would start at Bama, LSU, Arkansas, Auburn, Texas A&M, Georgia, South Carolina, Florida, Tennessee, or State. I don't know much about the situations at Kentucky, Missouri, or Vandy.

My thoughts exactly. I did forget about Dodson. But the rest have failed to impress me very much this far and/or haven't proven a thing yet.

jimbo352
05-02-2014, 01:01 PM
Their problem isn't RB, their problem is OL... You can have all the 5* RB's you want, if you don't have a decent line, their production will be hit or miss. You build a line like LSU or Bama, just about any RB is going to look good.

esplanade91
05-02-2014, 01:40 PM
Their problem isn't RB, their problem is OL... You can have all the 5* RB's you want, if you don't have a decent line, their production will be hit or miss. You build a line like LSU or Bama, just about any RB is going to look good.
Then they get drafted in the 1st round and make an NFL team miserable for taking them instead of a guy who worked his ass off at Cal or wherever.

I don't see why that's not more obvious for NFL GM's. Ingram and Richardson are two of the biggest physically gifted backs I've ever seen when it comes to working out. Neither of them are on teams that have bad OL's either. The exact opposite in fact. All 3 are known for consistently having productive offensive lines. Meanwhile some kid from FAU is having some of the best first 2 years a RB has ever had...

Same rings true for recruiting, really. I'm going to take a guy who's running guys over at 5 different positions against everyone in 1A at Webster than a guy who shows flashes but inconsistency at any of the 6A schools.

Goat Holder
05-02-2014, 02:59 PM
Where Phil Steele goes wrong is that he goes strictly by stats. I don't think he looks at any kind of intangibles. If you have returning starters and numbers, you'll be good to him.

To accurately predict college sports, you absolutely MUST add in intangibles, ie the 18-22 year old kid factor. Not to mention momentum and other things. I swear some people (particularly the journalists and guys who's never PLAYED organized sports) just cannot 'get' the grind of a season. They wonder why South Carolina can blow out Georgia and then lose to LSU the next week. It doesn't make sense to them, because they cannot find any stats and/or evidence to support what they are seeing.

AlSwearengen
05-02-2014, 03:23 PM
their depth at rb is probably about like our baseball depth. A lot of players of similar talent, but none that are special enough to separate themselves from the pack.

Hypnodawg
05-02-2014, 03:56 PM
That Derrick Henry kid at Bama is going to be a big time stud. TSUN has no one in that category. I never understood the over hype of Ingram. Much like Emit for the Cowboys. If you are running behind the best OL in the league, of course you are going to put up great numbers.

I'm looking for JRob to have a huge season as long as Mullen plays him. There were many downs last year where he didn't get the ball and should have.

smootness
05-02-2014, 04:11 PM
Same rings true for recruiting, really. I'm going to take a guy who's running guys over at 5 different positions against everyone in 1A at Webster than a guy who shows flashes but inconsistency at any of the 6A schools.

It just depends. Arian Foster should have done much more at Tennessee than he did, and he had a good enough supporting cast around him, yet look at him now. Playing at Bama, and behind Ingram/Richardson, seems to be working out just fine for Lacy in Green Bay. Playing behind all that talent at Texas didn't hurt Jamaal Charles, either.

dawgindothan
05-02-2014, 04:56 PM
Im so tired to bears this and bears that.

I'm tired of hearing about them too but until posters on this board stop starting threads about them..........

esplanade91
05-02-2014, 07:23 PM
It just depends. Arian Foster should have done much more at Tennessee than he did, and he had a good enough supporting cast around him, yet look at him now. Playing at Bama, and behind Ingram/Richardson, seems to be working out just fine for Lacy in Green Bay. Playing behind all that talent at Texas didn't hurt Jamaal Charles, either.
I'm not saying 100% of players with stud OL's are going to suck in the NFL. If I'm a GM or a fan of a certain team and Richardson is available at #3 or wherever he went, how do you not take him? But the writing is on the wall when guys like him and Ingram have lackluster performances at the next level.

BulldogBear
05-02-2014, 09:02 PM
I'm tired of hearing about them too but until posters on this board stop starting threads about them..........

:confused:

PMDawg
05-02-2014, 09:04 PM

STFU

yjnkdawg
05-02-2014, 09:16 PM

Totally agree

BulldogBear
05-02-2014, 09:25 PM
Totally agree

^
^
^
^

Political Hack
05-02-2014, 09:28 PM
they are our rival. we admit they are our rival.

I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like them Sam I Am.

chef dixon
05-02-2014, 11:05 PM
Not sure where this OM RB talent came from. They arguably have the worst RB group in the conference. Even some of their fans will admit that.

BulldogBear
05-03-2014, 07:54 AM
Not sure where this OM RB talent came from. They arguably have the worst RB group in the conference. Even some of their fans will admit that.

It came from the same alternate timeline in which Ole Miss leads the SEC in conference and national titles and has appeared in all 8 of the last nat championship games instead of Auburn, Bama, LSU, and Florida. Florida never made because Tebow went into the mission field instead of the football field. The loss to Winston led Sul Ross State in last year's final BCS championship game was crushing to Rebel pride, but they are simply reloading this season. The Rebel Club has captured an engineer with an MSU degree and forced him to build a technology that tears a hole in the space-time continuim accessing this alternate universe. The Bear media spin machine then enlightens the nation with these facts they have gleaned from this alternate reality. This man is kept in a room called the pit of despair secreted under the grove accessed by a secret door in a tree. He is forced to listen to their fight song all night while being whiskey boarded with Rebel Yell. We must bring him home. Where are the Dog Berets?