PDA

View Full Version : PAC12 coaches not keen on SEC scheduling rule

PassInterference
05-02-2014, 06:19 AM
The Stanford coach made the point that PAC12 teams play 9 conference games, while SEC teams play 8.

You can say that 8 (or 9) SEC games is not the same as playing that many PAC12 games. But Standford also plays Notre Dame every year. So does USC.

Those are points I hadn't thought of. Conferences that play 9 don't want to add a SEC team while SEC teams are only playing 8 conference games.

Its going to be interesting to see how much gravity this arrangement really has.

HailState39110
05-02-2014, 06:59 AM
That's why I don't get the rule . PAC 12 and Big 12 already play 9 conference games. the only conference that doesn't is the ACC And Notre Dame is sceduled to align with them in the future and play 5 ACC teams every year .

Dawgface
05-02-2014, 07:10 AM
It will be interesting how it plays out. I wouldn't want to schedule an sec team either if I were a pac 12 or big 12 school. This might encourage the sec to rethink all this in a few years and push for a 9 game conference schedule. And I'm not for that, but I bet we see it eventually.

BulldogBear
05-02-2014, 07:27 AM
It will be interesting how it plays out. I wouldn't want to schedule an sec team either if I were a pac 12 or big 12 school. This might encourage the sec to rethink all this in a few years and push for a 9 game conference schedule. And I'm not for that, but I bet we see it eventually.

Yep, I think this is just a "step" to set us up for a 9th "real" game so it's no big deal to drop the scheduling requirement and just play 9 SEC games.

thedawg
05-02-2014, 07:38 AM
We want to play eight varsity games, a jv game , and three show up and win games.... The Pac 12 is offended because they know they are our JV games

PassInterference
05-02-2014, 07:57 AM
Yep, I think this is just a "step" to set us up for a 9th "real" game so it's no big deal to drop the scheduling requirement and just play 9 SEC games.

I think you are right.

We have to remember the Big 5 are re-writing the rules. This probably means by 2016 we have a 9 game SEC schedule. Probably 6 division games, 1 permanent cross-div "rival", and 2 rotating cross-div teams.

Although with all the bitching about permanent cross div teams, we might see 3 rotationals. Although the number of teams not being a multiple of 3, that would be some strange scheduling.

Years 1 & 2: vs Team 1, Team 2, Team 3
Years 3 & 4: vs Team 2, Team 3, Team 4
Years 5 & 6: vs Team 3, Team 4, Team 5
Years 7 & 8: vs Team 4, Team 5, Team 6
Years 9 & 10: vs Team 5, Team 6, Team 7
Years 11 & 12: vs Team 6, Team 7, Team 1
Years 12 & 13: vs Team 7, Team 1, Team 2

It takes 14 years to complete 1 cycle of that. And each matchup with the other division lasts 6 years in a row (ie: you play Team 3 in years 1 through 6, and also for example you play Team 6 in years 7 through 12).

I like it. Playing a cross divisional team 6 years in a row would set up a mini rivalry.

The down side is, real rivalries like Alabama - Tennessee would have a long off period outside of the 6 year span that they play each other. Looks like for every 6 years you play a cross div team, there are 7 years you don't play them.

How strong are cross divisional rivalries, really? Is Alabama - Tennessee that big of damn deal?

PMDawg
05-02-2014, 08:04 AM
We want to play eight varsity games, a jv game , and three show up and win games.... The Pac 12 is offended because they know they are our JV games

You may want to check their record against the SEC. Especially out west. They are hands down the #2 conference and aren't that far from being #1 IMO. However, THEY decided to play a 9th game, no one forced them. They should be happy we stuck to 8, it keeps our top teams from getting another rpi boost. That could be the difference between an 11-1 or 10-2 non sec champ team getting into the top 4 over a PAC12 10-2 or 11-1 champion.

thedawg
05-02-2014, 08:12 AM
Just because the top teams are strong doesnt mean they are close to being the #2 conference in the land... Top to bottom its not close.

Tbonewannabe
05-02-2014, 08:23 AM
I think you are right.

We have to remember the Big 5 are re-writing the rules. This probably means by 2016 we have a 9 game SEC schedule. Probably 6 division games, 1 permanent cross-div "rival", and 2 rotating cross-div teams.

Although with all the bitching about permanent cross div teams, we might see 3 rotationals. Although the number of teams not being a multiple of 3, that would be some strange scheduling.

It takes 14 years to complete 1 cycle of that. And each matchup with the other division lasts 6 years in a row (ie: you play Team 3 in years 1 through 6, and also for example you play Team 6 in years 7 through 12).

I like it. Playing a cross divisional team 6 years in a row would set up a mini rivalry.

The down side is, real rivalries like Alabama - Tennessee would have a long off period outside of the 6 year span that they play each other. Looks like for every 6 years you play a cross div team, there are 7 years you don't play them.

How strong are cross divisional rivalries, really? Is Alabama - Tennessee that big of damn deal?

I don't know how passionate they are but I think UGA - Aub is the longest running rivalry in Div I.

BhamDawg
05-02-2014, 08:45 AM
I don't know how passionate they are but I think UGA - Aub is the longest running rivalry in Div I.

It is definitely the SEC/south's longest running rivalry. I think Wisconsin and Minnesota has the nation's longest running rivalry.

PassInterference
05-02-2014, 08:59 AM

I can't recall an Auburn person I know being rivalry-fired-up for that game.

FISHDAWG
05-02-2014, 09:17 AM
I don't think the SEC coaches are to keen on the new requirement as well

dawgs
05-02-2014, 09:22 AM
Just because the top teams are strong doesnt mean they are close to being the #2 conference in the land... Top to bottom its not close.

PAC 12 is pretty deep. Remember with 9 conference games, that a guaranteed 6 more Ls spread across the conference, whereas if they scheduled a 4th easy OOC game, those 6 Ls could easily be 5 or 6 more Ws. Now you have some 7-5 teams that are 8-4, not because they are better, but because they scheduled their way to 8-4. The PAC 12 also always has by far the toughest OOC slate. Every year. It's not even close.

dawgs
05-02-2014, 09:28 AM
I think you are right.

I'd hope we'd do something like:
Years 1-2: teams 1, 2, 3
Years 3-4: teams 4, 5, 6
Years 5-6: teams 7, 1, 2

That way ever player that sticks around 4 years plays ever program except 1 twice. And a 5th year senior plays everyone at least once. You know that way you'd feel like you're in a conference with everyone.

Also, a simple algorithm could pop out a schedule rotation that would allow Bama-ut and uga-aub to play every year and for everyone else to rotate. I'm sure I could think of it in my head if I wanted to give the numbers enough thought.

dawg21
05-02-2014, 09:35 AM
Its just a clever way to appear making the strength of schedule stronger, but it doesn't change much for the SEC in the short term. Its also a step to 9 conference games in 2 years. Many schools already do this either with rivals (Fla, Ga) or money games. The hard part for us is finding people who will do a home and home. Overall I like it. The playoff system will be favorable to teams with strong schedules (aka Stanford).

BulldogBear
05-02-2014, 11:04 AM
I still say to the other Power Fivers:

Until you start beating down the doors begging to play a home and home series with the "weak" mid to lower level SEC schools, putting your money where your mouth is about "weak" the SEC is other than 1-3 schools in a given year, proving that you really believe that, then.... S. T. F. U.

messageboardsuperhero
05-02-2014, 11:25 AM
What I don't get is that for years, the party line from those schools was "The SEC schedules too weak in the non conference. We don't REALLY know how good they are." Now that we're starting to schedule tougher teams, they're backing down and don't want to play SEC schools anymore.

It just comes off as hypocritical to me.

Todd4State
05-02-2014, 11:25 AM
The SEC rule is stupid. Just go ahead and schedule a 9th game rather than make everyone try to find a Big 5 school to play. There are so many issues with it, I sincerely hope the reason it passed is to show the world what a dumbass LT is so that the SEC can get rid of him.

dawgs
05-02-2014, 11:43 AM
What I don't get is that for years, the party line from those schools was "The SEC schedules too weak in the non conference. We don't REALLY know how good they are." Now that we're starting to schedule tougher teams, they're backing down and don't want to play SEC schools anymore.

It just comes off as hypocritical to me.

Most of them already have 9-10 BCS caliber games schedule for the foreseeable future. We are a little late to the game to try and get this set up for 2016.

Todd4State
05-02-2014, 11:50 AM
Most of them already have 9-10 BCS caliber games schedule for the foreseeable future. We are a little late to the game to try and get this set up for 2016.

According to Dan the other day, we have had a lot of trouble trying to get big 5 teams to come to Starkville. I assume he was referring to a home/home.

I bet we end up doing Kickoff Classics like we did this year- and heck, even then Oklahoma State's coach didn't want to play us and almost left over it.

I think we are going to have a hard time finding someone myself.

PMDawg
05-02-2014, 12:43 PM

Is this a joke?

Stanford 7-2 11-3
Oregon 7-2 11-2
Washington 5-4 9-4
Oregon State 4-5 7-6
Washington State 4-5 6-7
California 0-9 1-11

SOUTH CONF OVERALL
Arizona State 8-1 10-4
UCLA 6-3 10-3
USC 6-3 10-4
Arizona 4-5 8-5
Utah 2-7 5-7
Colorado 1-8 4-8

Two thirds of their conference is pretty darn good. If that's what you consider top heavy, then maybe you have a point. Otherwise...

dawgs
05-02-2014, 01:16 PM
Is this a joke?

Stanford 7-2 11-3
Oregon 7-2 11-2
Washington 5-4 9-4
Oregon State 4-5 7-6
Washington State 4-5 6-7
California 0-9 1-11

SOUTH CONF OVERALL
Arizona State 8-1 10-4
UCLA 6-3 10-3
USC 6-3 10-4
Arizona 4-5 8-5
Utah 2-7 5-7
Colorado 1-8 4-8

Two thirds of their conference is pretty darn good. If that's what you consider top heavy, then maybe you have a point. Otherwise...

And remember that's with 9 conference games (up to 6 more Ls to go around) and the toughest non-conference schedule of any conference in the country.

TUSK
05-02-2014, 01:20 PM
The TSIO is (historically) the most meaningful rivalry in the SEC... It's pretty crappy, now, though.

I'd follow it up with:
#2 - Iron Bowl - UA vs AU
#3 - South's Oldest Rivalry - AU vs UGA
#4 - World's Largest Cocktail Party - UF vs UGA

Recently, LSU/UF and Bama/LSU have become big deals...

Heck AU/UT and LSU/AU were big deals not too long ago...

I think you are right.

sandwolf
05-02-2014, 02:25 PM
Is this a joke?

Stanford 7-2 11-3
Oregon 7-2 11-2
Washington 5-4 9-4
Oregon State 4-5 7-6
Washington State 4-5 6-7
California 0-9 1-11

SOUTH CONF OVERALL
Arizona State 8-1 10-4
UCLA 6-3 10-3
USC 6-3 10-4
Arizona 4-5 8-5
Utah 2-7 5-7
Colorado 1-8 4-8

Yep, I agree. The PAC 12 was good this past year and they are getting better.

messageboardsuperhero
05-02-2014, 02:37 PM
Is this a joke?

Stanford 7-2 11-3
Oregon 7-2 11-2
Washington 5-4 9-4
Oregon State 4-5 7-6
Washington State 4-5 6-7
California 0-9 1-11

SOUTH CONF OVERALL
Arizona State 8-1 10-4
UCLA 6-3 10-3
USC 6-3 10-4
Arizona 4-5 8-5
Utah 2-7 5-7
Colorado 1-8 4-8

The Pac-12 is a very good conference- easily the second best in the country. Anyone who denies that is ignorant.

Everyone knows about USC, but Oregon and Stanford are also elite programs nationally. Washington, Oregon State, Arizona State, and Arizona are very solid too. And everyone knows the potential UCLA has- especially under Jim Mora. Utah and Colorado have had some outstanding teams as well.

smootness
05-02-2014, 03:53 PM
You may want to check their record against the SEC. Especially out west. They are hands down the #2 conference and aren't that far from being #1 IMO. However, THEY decided to play a 9th game, no one forced them. They should be happy we stuck to 8, it keeps our top teams from getting another rpi boost. That could be the difference between an 11-1 or 10-2 non sec champ team getting into the top 4 over a PAC12 10-2 or 11-1 champion.

The Pac-12 is definitely #2 right now, but a couple of things:

1) The #2 conference in the country tends to vary and change every few years, but the only constant for a while now has been that the SEC is better than everyone else.

2) Even though they're #2, it's still quite a gap between them and the SEC, IMO.

If you were to compare similar teams within the conference, you would end up getting matchups like this:

5th-best teams, South Carolina against USC; not even close
6th-best teams, UGA against Washington, again, not even close

Teams like Arizona, Oregon State, and Washington State would have a tough time hanging with just about everyone in the SEC.

The Pac-12 is very good, but to say they're 'not that far from #1' is insane.

TUSK
05-02-2014, 11:30 PM
I wonder if Stanford, or Oregon, or USC would swap their 9 game Pac 12 schedule for, say, Arkansas, UM or MSU's 8 game SEC slate....

PMDawg
05-03-2014, 08:32 AM
The Pac-12 is very good, but to say they're 'not that far from #1' is insane.[/QUOTE]

Based on your perception of how games would play out. We will never really know, so it doesn't matter. When or if we ever get passed, it will be by the PAC 12. If the Big 12 ever adds more quality teams, they could get up there too.

Anyway - it's all speculation at this point.