PDA

View Full Version : OT: Louisville EF-4

TheDogFather
05-01-2014, 06:25 PM
May get moved but this is pic of tornado that came through here.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g114/dawgbydesign/Board/7D1E226F-54F6-4267-91FB-FC4237A2282F.jpg (http://s54.photobucket.com/user/dawgbydesign/media/Board/7D1E226F-54F6-4267-91FB-FC4237A2282F.jpg.html)

TheRef
05-01-2014, 06:30 PM

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g114/dawgbydesign/Board/7D1E226F-54F6-4267-91FB-FC4237A2282F.jpg (http://s54.photobucket.com/user/dawgbydesign/media/Board/7D1E226F-54F6-4267-91FB-FC4237A2282F.jpg.html)

That tornado was so bad. So so bad....I still can't bring myself to go inspect the damage. I saw the beginning of it as it crossed 25.

Political Hack
05-01-2014, 06:42 PM
that's freakishly scary.

I seen it dawg
05-01-2014, 07:08 PM
Mic went thru there today and was shocked there were only 9 fatalities. So horrible.

messageboardsuperhero
05-01-2014, 07:10 PM
Damn, what a monster.

starkvegasdawg
05-01-2014, 07:14 PM
I didn't see the damage Monday but saw it Tuesday as I was heading to the Philadelphia to chase again. Absolutely unreal. I was watching it right when it was going through town. One bad storm.

starkvegasdawg
05-01-2014, 07:17 PM

Hate to nitpick but that's actually the supercell that spawned the tornado. The tornado itself is not visible in this picture.

TheRef
05-01-2014, 07:19 PM
Hate to nitpick but that's actually the supercell that spawned the tornado. The tornado itself is not visible in this picture.

That's very true. I just didn't want to be the person to nitpick on this. The tornado was rain-wrapped and this was an HP cell as we call it, or high-precipitation.

TheDogFather
05-01-2014, 07:24 PM
Mic went thru there today and was shocked there were only 9 fatalities. So horrible.

They found the body of the 8 year old who was missing so the total is up to 10 unfortunately. But you are right. I give credit to the amount if warning time we had. Just a few years ago they would not have been able to predict as well as they do now. Most were able to prepare as well as possible.

starkvegasdawg
05-01-2014, 07:26 PM
That's very true. I just didn't want to be the person to nitpick on this. The tornado was rain-wrapped and this was an HP cell as we call it, or high-precipitation.
I didn't know it was rain wrapped. I knew it was for me but I thought that was just because I had just come through the core and had not cleared it entirely.

starkvegasdawg
05-01-2014, 07:30 PM
They found the body of the 8 year old who was missing so the total is up to 10 unfortunately. But you are right. I give credit to the amount if warning time we had. Just a few years ago they would not have been able to predict as well as they do now. Most were able to prepare as well as possible.

The carnage that tornado caused really brings the adrenalin rush of chasing back into perspective. I remember being so amped when I first saw it and was taking pictures. Then I heard what it did.

TheRef
05-01-2014, 07:31 PM
The carnage that tornado caused really brings the adrenalin rush of chasing back into perspective. I remember being so amped when I first saw it and was taking pictures. Then I heard what it did.

That's how it always is, bud. You have the adrenaline rush of the chase. Then once you roll up on the carnage, you immediately have to switch to first responder/humanitarian and help out however you can. I need to get first aid and CPR certified.

starkvegasdawg
05-01-2014, 07:36 PM
That's how it always is, bud. You have the adrenaline rush of the chase. Then once you roll up on the carnage, you immediately have to switch to first responder/humanitarian and help out however you can. I need to get first aid and CPR certified.
I can get CPR certified through work. I need to do that too.

TheDogFather
05-01-2014, 07:39 PM

I suppose this is nitpicking but those are not clouds extending over the horizon. That pic was taken standing between Lake Tiak O Khata and Hwy 15. That is the tornado on the ground as it passed over Louisville Country Club and 20 miles of debris caught in the rotation. The Storm Chaser posted a video on YouTube that shows the rotation and will show better how horrifying it was.

But I'm no weather expert and maybe should defer the technicalities to you guys.

slickdawg
05-02-2014, 09:58 AM
Well, the tornado is in there for sure, the inflow is strong feeding into it, look at the water.

TheRef
05-02-2014, 09:59 AM
Well, the tornado is in there for sure, the inflow is strong feeding into it, look at the water.

It's in there...just rain wrapped.

slickdawg
05-02-2014, 10:16 AM
That's what makes chasing in Mississippi so very dangerous:

1) 8-9 in 10 are rain wrapped , you can't see it

2) Trees and hills, they obscure your view

The Delta gives some safer chasing areas since it's flat and mostly farmland.

Most of the sexy tornado pictures come from the plains, where there are no hills, flat land, no trees, and maybe 2-3 in 10 become rain wrapped.

J-Dawg
05-02-2014, 10:16 AM

Yep. You can definitely see the rotation of the cell itself and the wallcloud.... as well as the greenish hail core.

TheRef
05-02-2014, 10:19 AM
That's what makes chasing in Mississippi so very dangerous:

1) 8-9 in 10 are rain wrapped , you can't see it

2) Trees and hills, they obscure your view

The Delta gives some safer chasing areas since it's flat and mostly farmland.

Most of the sexy tornado pictures come from the plains, where there are no hills, flat land, no trees, and maybe 2-3 in 10 become rain wrapped.

The Delta is about as close to the plains as you can get here in the South. The reason why you don't see many good chasers here in the South is because you HAVE to rely on radar data that can go out at any time (Ex: Yazoo City Tornado 2010).

starkvegasdawg
05-02-2014, 10:24 AM
Oh I have no doubt it's on the ground when this picture was taken. I was just mentioning that the funnel itself was not visible in this shot. Still a remarkable picture and very rare to get one like this in MS. This was about as close as we ever get to the classic Plains discrete supercell here in MS. I saw another picture that was taken over by Elm Lake near Columbus of a classic supercell structure. I think it was the one that produced the tornado over near Steens but not sure. Could be several years before we ever get a setup like this again here.

starkvegasdawg
05-02-2014, 10:26 AM
The Delta is about as close to the plains as you can get here in the South. The reason why you don't see many good chasers here in the South is because you HAVE to rely on radar data that can go out at any time (Ex: Yazoo City Tornado 2010).

That's why most of the time I try to start my chases in western MS or eastern AR and then work my way back east. Chasing the central part of this state you are almost guaranteed no visibility. It does improve a good deal between Starkville and Tupelo up in the black prairie region, though.

DownwardDawg
05-02-2014, 10:48 AM
Oh I have no doubt it's on the ground when this picture was taken. I was just mentioning that the funnel itself was not visible in this shot. Still a remarkable picture and very rare to get one like this in MS. This was about as close as we ever get to the classic Plains discrete supercell here in MS. I saw another picture that was taken over by Elm Lake near Columbus of a classic supercell structure. I think it was the one that produced the tornado over near Steens but not sure. Could be several years before we ever get a setup like this again here.

That would be nice.