PDA

View Full Version : Isn't it amazing Ole Miss can put together the best recrootin machine imaginable.....

Goat Holder
05-01-2014, 04:44 PM
....and they still can't win shit? I mean, I get it, they have some good players and their best 2 years in a while will be 2014 and 2015, but come on, we are just as damn talented as they are. Their idiot boosters spend gobs of cash not only on recruits, but they pour money into their stadium and facilities as well. I can only imagine the things they could provide for their families if they weren't Ole Miss homers. And what is their return? 8-4? I mean, Alabama/Georgia fires coaches for that.

At the end of the day, no we haven't done anything special either, but at least our fans aren't spending their life savings on 18 year olds. They are literally not ahead of us at all, and they win the recrootin press conference every year. And here they are, nowhere closer to winning an SEC title or national title than before.

Isn't that sort of the definition of a chump?

Where did this come from, you may ask? I just saw the thread about some stupid kid flipping from MSU to Ole Miss. After about the 25th time that happens with zero consequences, it really starts to become irrelevant. Personally, I think Yancy Porter is ONE HELL of a businessman.

BulldogBear
05-01-2014, 05:07 PM
....and they still can't win shit? I mean, I get it, they have some good players and their best 2 years in a while will be 2014 and 2015, but come on, we are just as damn talented as they are. Their idiot boosters spend gobs of cash not only on recruits, but they pour money into their stadium and facilities as well. I can only imagine the things they could provide for their families if they weren't Ole Miss homers. And what is their return? 8-4? I mean, Alabama/Georgia fires coaches for that.

At the end of the day, no we haven't done anything special either, but at least our fans aren't spending their life savings on 18 year olds. They are literally not ahead of us at all, and they win the recrootin press conference every year. And here they are, nowhere closer to winning an SEC title or national title than before.

Isn't that sort of the definition of a chump?

Where did this come from, you may ask? I just saw the thread about some stupid kid flipping from MSU to Ole Miss. After about the 25th time that happens with zero consequences, it really starts to become irrelevant. Personally, I think Yancy Porter is ONE HELL of a businessman.

Dang Straight. Hearing this stuff just doesn't ruffle a single hair on this dawg's body anymore. Someone flips. What of it? It doesn't work out too well for them more often than not.

Todd4State
05-01-2014, 05:33 PM
I think all the paying players and putting them on a pedastal before they even play a down creates a bad environment for player development.

Whether we pay a player or not- going off the premise that every school has bag men per Stephen Godfrey- there is still the understanding from our coaching staff that the player is going to have to work hard. That's why we have been more successful under Dan. We may not "win" a recruiting championship- but we will be a solid program that wins actual games that count.

I think Dan does a great job of identifying talent moreso than Ole Miss as well- see McKinney, Dak, Robinson, Bear Wilson, Chris Jones before he blew up, Jamaal Clayborn, and etc.

And to your point about Yancy- I think our recruiting reporters have a totally different mindset. Ole Miss uses their recruiting reporters almost as a tool to recruit. I think Rosebowl kind of downplays our talent a lot of the time. He could and probably should ask for higher grades on our players. Paul shoots it straight- but I wouldn't say he pumps up our players or uses his site to aid in recruiting. Not a complaint- just an observation.

Sam&DeansDawg
05-01-2014, 05:36 PM
I wonder how many cashed out IRA's have gone toward recruiting for the Bearsharknados?

Cabo32
05-01-2014, 05:49 PM
They've had one shitty...one great..and one good class with hugh...he's just got everybody buying in to whatever it he's selling

ShotgunDawg
05-01-2014, 06:36 PM
Here's how it is fellas:

Just like the NFL, as the talent level across the conference becomes more even, it becomes all about QB play. In the NFL it doesn't matter who has the best roster, more times than not, it matters who has the better QB. So... Until Hugh starts recruiting studs at the QB position, Wallace is decent but doesn't take you to another level, it just simply isn't going to matter what else they have.

Dan has beaten Freeze in QB recruit with Dak, Williams, Fitz, and Staley, and that's ultimately why we are better than them.

If Ole Miss and MSU switched QBs, Ole Miss would be the better team. I have no problem saying that

Cabo32
05-01-2014, 06:54 PM
Here's how it is fellas:

Just like the NFL, as the talent level across the conference becomes more even, it becomes all about QB play. In the NFL it doesn't matter who has the best roster, more times than not, it matters who has the better QB. So... Until Hugh starts recruiting studs at the QB position, Wallace is decent but doesn't take you to another level, it just simply isn't going to matter what else they have.

Dan has beaten Freeze in QB recruit with Dak, Williams, Fitz, and Staley, and that's ultimately why we are better than them.

If Ole Miss and MSU switched QBs, Ole Miss would be the better team. I have no problem saying that

So you're saying Russell Wilson is better than Peyton manning?? Just busting your chops...I do agree about Dax though

Dawgcentral
05-01-2014, 07:29 PM
Not sure, but a guy like Prescott might not be comfortable in Oxford. It's not like you see him on the beach during his down time hanging out with Kimdechee cussing at the folks nearby. Last time I saw he was down there he was posing for photos with thrilled kids.

Character plays a big role for sure.

ShotgunDawg
05-01-2014, 07:53 PM
So you're saying Russell Wilson is better than Peyton manning?? Just busting your chops...I do agree about Dax though

I hear you. The QB position more or less separates the pretenders from the contenders. After that, roster depth matters to a larger degree.

Saltydog
05-01-2014, 07:58 PM
nt

ShotgunDawg
05-01-2014, 07:58 PM
Not sure, but a guy like Prescott might not be comfortable in Oxford. It's not like you see him on the beach during his down time hanging out with Kimdechee cussing at the folks nearby. Last time I saw he was down there he was posing for photos with thrilled kids.

Character plays a big role for sure.

Character and makeup only matters to me if it effects your ability to get to the field to play. People who get arrested, fail drug tests, get DUIs, etc... All have a makeup/character issue that effects their ability to actually get to the field and play.

It's why if I were an NFL GM, Manziel's issues wouldn't bother me. Sure, he makes an ass of himself at times and likes to party, but to this point, he hasn't shown any character issues that would prevent him from getting to the field. That the difference between Wallace and Denzel. Denzel does things that prevent him from playing, sunshine is premodona, tool, but it doesn't effect his ability to show up and actually play QB for OM.

Maroons
05-01-2014, 11:32 PM

Not this year. We have more talent top to bottom than they do.

Todd4State
05-02-2014, 12:10 AM
Here's how it is fellas:

It all starts at QB. That's why it used to drive me nuts when Jackie and Croom tried to make their offense about the running back.

BossDawg
05-02-2014, 09:01 AM

How? Really? You think their OL is in better shape? DL? Receiving corps? Or are you just saying Prescott is simply a leader?

Not a flame, but I'm just curious as how you came to this conclusion.

DownwardDawg
05-02-2014, 09:08 AM
How? Really? You think their OL is in better shape? DL? Receiving corps? Or are you just saying Prescott is simply a leader?

I agree. Our D is better. Our RB's are WAY better. They have one great receiver. Our O line is just as good and deeper.

ShotgunDawg
05-02-2014, 09:41 AM

All of the questions you asked are close enough that Dak makes the difference.

Is their OL as good? Maybe not, but its close
Is their DL as good? Maybe not, but its close
Receiving core? Not as deep as our, but their top end could be better.

Dak is more than a leader, he is a really good player that makes your OL and WRs look better than they really are. My opinion is well thought out and objective, if Ole Miss' starting QB was Dak Prescott and MSU's was Bo Wallace, I believe Ole Miss would be better than MSU. Arkansas may be as well.

The great thing is that this is completely hypothetical and doesn't matter. My main point however, is the Dak is a game changer that can take a team to another level.

justwin
05-02-2014, 10:07 AM
Good topic. College fb is all about the qb. I think dan is a much better developer of qb talent freeze or nutt. Otherwise, Snead/masoli/ brunetti/ would've beaten Relf. All were higher rated recruits. The qbs we have currently wouldn't be near as good @ om either. I think dan would coach up Wallace & liggins better @ msu too.

Here's how it is fellas:

wobblyh
05-02-2014, 11:29 AM
Good topic. College fb is all about the qb. I think dan is a much better developer of qb talent freeze or nutt. Otherwise, Snead/masoli/ brunetti/ would've beaten Relf. All were higher rated recruits. The qbs we have currently wouldn't be near as good @ om either. I think dan would coach up Wallace & liggins better @ msu too.

You realize Freeze has only had Bo Wallace as a QB? And he improved his comp% and cut his turnovers by almost 50%. While Dan has shown he can develop a QB decent enough, I don't think anyone knows what Freeze can do. Nutt shouldn't even be in this conversation...

ShotgunDawg
05-02-2014, 12:41 PM
You realize Freeze has only had Bo Wallace as a QB? And he improved his comp% and cut his turnovers by almost 50%. While Dan has shown he can develop a QB decent enough, I don't think anyone knows what Freeze can do. Nutt shouldn't even be in this conversation...

The whole increased completion percentage thing is so stupid when it comes to Wallace. HE THROWS BUBBLE SCREENS 50% of the time! Of course he is going to have high completion percentage. My mom could have a high completion percentage in that offense. Not all stats are created equal. In the NFL, completion percentage is important because most teams run the same offense. In college, that just isn't the case.

Please for the love of all things holy, stop using completion percentage as a validation for Bo Wallace.

wobblyh
05-02-2014, 12:46 PM
The whole increased completion percentage thing is so stupid when it comes to Wallace. HE THROWS BUBBLE SCREENS 50% of the time! Of course he is going to have high completion percentage. My mom could have a high completion percentage in that offense. Not all stats are created equal. In the NFL, completion percentage is important because most teams run the same offense. In college, that just isn't the case.

Please for the love of all things holy, stop using completion percentage as a validation for Bo Wallace.

Who is validating Bo Wallace? The argument was about improvement and development. The bubble screens were present both seasons. If he's developing, he should improve his comp %. I understand its limitations. He also drastically reduced his turnovers. Bo Wallace is an average QB but you can't argue with the fact he improved from year 1 to 2. All these folks saying Freeze can't develop _____ can pump the brakes. He might not be a good developer, but with only two seasons, how would anyone know?

Todd4State
05-02-2014, 01:06 PM

Based on what I saw, the decrease in INTs was more about luck than anything. Bo still forces the ball in the middle of the field and does things that he shouldn't- but he had a lot of should have been INT's dropped. He had zero for a good bit of the start of the season and then that evened out at the end of the year.

ShotgunDawg
05-02-2014, 02:08 PM
Based on what I saw, the decrease in INTs was more about luck than anything. Bo still forces the ball in the middle of the field and does things that he shouldn't- but he had a lot of should have been INT's dropped. He had zero for a good bit of the start of the season and then that evened out at the end of the year.

Just looked at his 2012 & 2013 stats:

If we include the two interceptions in the Egg Bowl that were surely INTs but not called: in 2013, he threw an INT on 2.75% of his attempts. In 2012, he threw an INT on 4.62% on his attempts.

Maybe he got a little better, but I also know that his arm strength wasn't the same in 2013 as it was in 2012, and, due to that, he forced less balls down the field. It will be very interesting this year. With Moncrief gone, a poor offensive line, and his arm strength a little better, I actually think we will see Bo's INT % rise to somewhere around 3.5% or so.

messageboardsuperhero
05-02-2014, 02:11 PM

Don't forget the two interceptions he threw in the Egg Bowl that mysteriously weren't even reviewed...

yjnkdawg
05-02-2014, 09:05 PM
[QUOTE=Todd4State;171075]

And to your point about Yancy- Ole Miss uses their recruiting reporters almost as a tool to recruit.

You would think that would be some kind of NCAA violation, but I guess not? Even if it isn't, you would think that maybe Scout would not be happy with that type of activity.

ShotgunDawg
05-02-2014, 09:35 PM
[QUOTE=Todd4State;171075]

And to your point about Yancy- Ole Miss uses their recruiting reporters almost as a tool to recruit.

You would think that would be some kind of NCAA violation, but I guess not? Even if it isn't, you would think that maybe Scout would not be happy with that type of activity.

I think it's a good idea by Ole Miss to do that. Not sure why we don't do the same.

Dawgcentral
05-03-2014, 06:38 PM
Character and makeup only matters to me if it effects your ability to get to the field to play. People who get arrested, fail drug tests, get DUIs, etc... All have a makeup/character issue that effects their ability to actually get to the field and play.

It's why if I were an NFL GM, Manziel's issues wouldn't bother me. Sure, he makes an ass of himself at times and likes to party, but to this point, he hasn't shown any character issues that would prevent him from getting to the field. That the difference between Wallace and Denzel. Denzel does things that prevent him from playing, sunshine is premodona, tool, but it doesn't effect his ability to show up and actually play QB for OM.

I disagree. I believe character away from the field plays a primary role in leadership and respect, both from the players and the staff. I think we're signing players these days with a better work ethic than TSUN, although they have climbed above the lackadaisical nature of the players under Nutt, which might have been the worst I've seen there.

Manziel is a complete rarity. Very few even saw him coming. He comes from a privelidged background also. I haven't forgotten that Mullen wanted Sunshine as a QB, so CDM must have thought he could manage him. Very possible that if R. kimdichee had been interested in MSU we would have signed hom also, but we have seen what happened to Quay Evans. Work ethic and character both go a long way toward success, even these days.

Reason2succeed
05-03-2014, 07:13 PM
In a team sport work ethic is needed to keep the morale up for everyone. Younger players see the actions of the stars and base their actions on them. My prediction is that Freeze will eventually lose control of the locker room at OM and have a disastrous season and he will be gone.

BossDawg
05-03-2014, 09:55 PM
[QUOTE=yjnkdawg;171570]

Not sure why we don't do the same.

We'd get in trouble somehow; Bracky would find something. Nor could we ever get a reporter that truly gave a damn about the well being of MSU.

mullenite
05-04-2014, 02:56 PM
Really? Our fans aren't spending money on kids? We are currently on probation for what you claim we aren't doing. Good lord.....

Goat Holder
05-04-2014, 03:44 PM
Thanks Julie Gilbert for pointing out the obvious.

I'm not going to argue on whether or not it's a fact that Ole Miss is spending MUCH more money, and MUCH more organized, on recruiting than MSU is. I mean seriously, why waste the time.