PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Article on of MSU Offensive play makers

desotodawg
05-01-2014, 12:12 PM
I wasnt able to make the spring game and didnt realize we moved Holloway to running back. Looking forward to seeing our wide receivers next year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/82517/miss-state-offense-targeting-playmakers

BulldogBear
05-01-2014, 01:26 PM
Do I feel some wool sprouting?

rabbitthedawg
05-01-2014, 01:45 PM
Gee...that sounds so good. I'm a long time dawg...my rose colored glasses are rather dim. My hopes are high...again!!

Lloyd Christmas
05-01-2014, 01:48 PM
Wooly here. Surprised they didn't mention our stellar kicking game, though**.

The Croom Diaries
05-01-2014, 01:55 PM
I hope our O-line can hold up because we've got the backfield weapons to be a good as Auburn was on the ground last year.

War Machine Dawg
05-01-2014, 01:58 PM
I laughed at the mention of Holloway. He's purely a return guy, although I think he'd be great in that role. Watching him at the spring game, he has to be used on the edges to be effective. A jet sweep would be ideal for him. Allso noticed he always goes down on first contact, too. The good news is I don't expect him to get any meaningful carries with J-Rob, Shump, Griffin, and Williams in front of him. Of course, every carry he DOES get is one he's stealing from the other 4.

Damn, I can't wait for fall. The only part of the team that concerns me is the part that concerns everyone else: FG Kicking and OL Depth.

BulldogBear
05-01-2014, 02:06 PM
JRob was already a solid back

Jack Lambert
05-01-2014, 02:30 PM
I never grow wool.

justwin
05-01-2014, 02:31 PM
I'm not worried about the OL. MSU will always have a good OL. Our OL will only be better since Mullen sounds like he's going to commit to running with the power backs. I'm not an OL guy, but would think run blocking more fun & confidence building for an OL than pass blocking...maybe some of the OL coaches on here will chime in if that isn't the case.

I'm not overly worried about the FG as I think Coach Knox's presence there will help their regimen & psyche....Knox seems like a classic hard nose, militant type coach which is what they need to get them in a routine and remove "thinking". I think we just need to decide on one FG kicker and get him to be as close to automatic as possible within 42 yards. I think Sobiesk can be that guy as his motion seems compact and he doesn't have catastrophic misses like Bell. Bell, who has all the leg in the world but reminds me a golfer who can crush the driver and hit high towering iron shots, but his misses are really bad because he tries to do too much or get too cute. Anything beyond 42-50 yards, we should probably just get into the mindset of 4 down territory since Dak's proven he can get 10yards in 4 downs. I want DePasquale 2.0 and I think Sobiesk can be that guy if he knows he will be the "starter" from day one.

End of the day, I actually like that Mullen went with a QB coach instead of a ST team coach. I think there's a ton more value with Coach Johnson than a ST coach as MSU needs to continue the good QB play we've gotten the last 4 years. Just seems the only concern with STs is FG & hopefully Knox's style can help with that. We're good at punting & coverage, actually much better a Kickoffs last few years, KO returns should be Holloway in year 2 + Lewis, & I don't care too much about Punt returns other than fielding it cleanly.

Offensively, I'm most worried about our TEs stepping up and making the plays they're supposed to as that gets the whole offense moving. I think this falls squarely on MoJo as a senior. Can he score 6+ TDs and grab 50 catches like he should this year? He had 30 catches & only 2 tds last year & some of his drops were drive killers. He, like Marcus Green before him, struggles with the routine stuff, but then makes a sensational play which is baffling. I still think MoJo was a "first year" starter last year and was learning how to be a starter. The chest muscle incident from two years ago really hampered him/the team as last year should've been like this upcoming year. The wildcard is Gus Walley. I've like the kid since I watched his HS video. He is very natural for the position, is 6'4", and has very, very good ball skills. Of all of our TEs, he has the best chance at an NFL career due to his size, speed, elusiveness, and ball skills. I think we know what we have in Samuels. Anything we get from the Juco TE is gravy.

I won't be surprised if Wilson has better #s this season from 2013.

De'Runnya - 26 catches for 351, 13.5 per, 3 tds.
Paidwell - 72 for 608, 8.4 per, 5 tds. This was the best WR in all the land out of HS.
R Seals - Jones from TXAM - 3 for 84, 1 td. This was alos the best WR in all the land out of HS.
Cooper from Bama - 45 for 736, 4 tds. drop off last year from year one, but can the QB get him the ball this year?

TheRef
05-01-2014, 04:12 PM
To answer your question about if OL love running plays, they do. OL love running plays down the gut because it is literally just having a 1-v-1 with the guy in front of you. There's no backing down. You don't stop until either the whistle blows or the guy you're blocking is on the ground. Run blocking makes OL happy.