PDA

View Full Version : Using Rick Stansbury as a punchline

blacklistedbully
05-01-2014, 11:34 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't Rick and Mrs. Stansbury been nothing but ardent supports of our school? Regardless of what any of us think about his coaching style, past successes or failures, do we really need to make him the butt of jokes or sarcasm whenever a job pops up that he doesn't get?

I know it's a free country, and I respect the right of anyone to say and post what they want. But it just feels wrong, IMO, to assail the guy in this way. Seems to me I read one time that he and his family have donated a ton of their own money to MSU. He did stay loyal to us when he could easily have bolted to Clemson.

The guy lost his job. Isn't that enough? Might it not be better to treat him with some class and dignity, rather than use every chance to "prove you were right about his shortcomings"?

Rant over.

PassInterference
05-01-2014, 11:39 AM
I agree. He helped our program for a long time, then "retired".

I quit bashing him after he left. Its time to respect the man.

drunkernhelldawg
05-01-2014, 11:40 AM
Great post. Wish I could lock the thread.

smootness
05-01-2014, 12:01 PM
I agree. I was a big supporter of his for a long time and still think he and his family are great people. I met Meo once at UGA and she talked to me for about half an hour when she could have just immediately kicked me out of the gym, as it was during a State practice.

I have nothing but good things to say about them as people. In relation to the basketball program, his name will always come up and be used as a comparison, but I agree that there is no use in overly bashing the guy; he did great things for the program.

quickstrike2
05-01-2014, 12:08 PM
I agree with this. Rick needed to leave and he did. However, if the last few weeks is indication, if any job comes available Stans will be brought up. The anti-Stans crowd will ask we he didnt get it, getting the pro-Stans crowd to jump into a pissing match debating stuff that has been debated for about a decade.

engie
05-01-2014, 12:18 PM
I agree. The time for Stansbury-bashing ended with our exit from the SEC Tournament this year. I was ardently on the side of him still being "fair game" while we were still in the dumps for reasons that could still logically be attributed to Stansbury This is Ray's team now -- and it's his turn to be judged by it. Stans should be getting pretty close to the period of time where the love and admiration of the fanbase returns and they remember all of the great things he did -- similar to the period Jackie had to endure.

bluelightstar
05-01-2014, 01:03 PM
Stansbury needed to go, but he is a great guy and the bashing should stop. And immediately.

coastdoglover
05-01-2014, 01:06 PM
coach's silence is deafening. Good post and some folks are sick individuals.

Stansbury needed to go, but he is a great guy and the bashing should stop. And immediately.

DownwardDawg
05-01-2014, 01:15 PM
I agree with this 100%

blacklistedbully
05-01-2014, 01:29 PM
Just to be clear, this is not a post targeting anyone in particular, rather just an in-general thing. There are plenty of folks engaging in this on multiple sources.

RIdog
05-01-2014, 01:54 PM
Excellent post BLBully !

sandwolf
05-01-2014, 02:04 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't Rick and Mrs. Stansbury been nothing but ardent supports of our school? Regardless of what any of us think about his coaching style, past successes or failures, do we really need to make him the butt of jokes or sarcasm whenever a job pops up that he doesn't get?

I know it's a free country, and I respect the right of anyone to say and post what they want. But it just feels wrong, IMO, to assail the guy in this way. Seems to me I read one time that he and his family have donated a ton of their own money to MSU. He did stay loyal to us when he could easily have bolted to Clemson.

The guy lost his job. Isn't that enough? Might it not be better to treat him with some class and dignity, rather than use every chance to "prove you were right about his shortcomings"?

Rant over.

Excellent post.

BulldogBear
05-01-2014, 02:05 PM
He moved on and so did I. I don't give him a second thought. I don't mean that in a bad way. Good post BLB.

Coach34
05-01-2014, 02:28 PM
coach's silence is deafening. Good post and some folks are sick individuals.

I've actually been busy today Grandpaw. This new condom company I'm working for is keeping me hopping

sleepy dawg
05-01-2014, 02:59 PM
Whatever.... I respect my brother, but I'll still tell him he sucks at Joe Montana's Sports Talk Football, because he does.

shannondawg
05-01-2014, 02:59 PM

Rant over.

If ever the chance , I would like to shake your hand and say thank you..

Your post is the highlight of my day..

shannondawg
05-01-2014, 03:02 PM
I've actually been busy today Grandpaw. This new condom company I'm working for is keeping me hopping

Filling up those machines can be time consuming I would imagine, not to mention those heavy bags of quarters probably give you back trouble.

Coach34
05-01-2014, 03:05 PM
Filling up those machines can be time consuming I would imagine, not to mention those heavy bags of quarters probably give you back trouble.

Rolling them before taking them to the bank is the biggest pain in the ass

shannondawg
05-01-2014, 03:15 PM

I would think that's the fun part..

Goat Holder
05-01-2014, 03:19 PM
You have to consider the quality of people that make it their job to bash Stans. Remember that.

Great post by the way.

MadDawg
05-01-2014, 03:22 PM
I doubt anyone is surprised that I agree with this. Great post.

MarcoRubio
05-01-2014, 03:27 PM

Rant over.

seems to be a good bulldog. Was always talking up Starkville and MSU. This may not be a popular opinion here, but I liked him as a coach. Kept us competitive for a long time. He let it get out of hand the last few years, but I think he would've gotten the ship straightened back out if given the opportunity. Revamping a BB team is much easier than football and could arguably be done in 1-2 recruiting classes IF (noticie I said IF in all caps...emphasis on the IF) the right players were brought in.

OT: On the same note, still don't get the hate of Stricklin either. Makes no sense. He made a hire whose initial perception is mediocre. Time will tell if it was a good hire or not. Everything else he's done has been pretty good in my opinion. He's a loyal lifetime bulldog and is lightyears ahead of Templeton. He has the balls to try some different things with marketing to try and get our names out there/generate revenue that the big boys don't have to do. Some of it hasn't worked as well as I'm sure he planned, but damn, cut the dude some slack. At least he's willing to think outside the old MSU box.

Que the shitstorm of message board billybad douches...

Goat Holder
05-01-2014, 03:34 PM
Remember....just like anything else in society.....it's the loudmouths who hardly contribute that are typically the ones tearing shit down.

thf24
05-01-2014, 04:01 PM
Great post, and I agree. He did great things for our program and elevated our expectations, and while I believe he was fair game for criticism over the last two years for the state our program was left in (no longer), the jokes and nicknames were never warranted. The negativity surrounding his name needs to end.

Similarly, I'd like to see certain other posters stop trying to drag his name into basketball discussions as a means to bash those supporting patience for Ray. In my opinion, that's almost as bad and just as detrimental to basketball discussions.

Coach34
05-01-2014, 04:57 PM
Remember....just like anything else in society.....it's the loudmouths who hardly contribute that are typically the ones tearing shit down.

Shirley that wasnt aimed at me? It was stupid if it was

What about the loudmouths tearing Ray down? They broke too?

BulldogBear
05-01-2014, 05:01 PM
Switching gears:

I can confirm Stans and his wife flew out of Jackson today to College Station. Anything to see here? ...or romantic getaway?

Goat Holder
05-01-2014, 05:08 PM
Regarding Stans, I think you were a shit head, with all due respect because this is your board. Simply my opinion. We agree on some things, disagree on others. But you downright had an agenda and purposely went out of your way to hurt the man. It didn't matter, it played out like it probably should have, but still.

But no, it wasn't aimed primarily at you, although in the situation with Stans, it applied. I have no idea how much money you contribute or how big of a fan you are. In my experience, it's the guys who don't do anything who cry the loudest.

Coach34
05-01-2014, 05:29 PM
Thats fine as what you think about my posting on Stands. Some agree with things I said- some dont. I know now after the fact now it bothers some people- but like the great Mike Justice said- "I want you to know, from the bottom of my heart, if I hurt your feelings- I really dont give a shit"

I will continue to post against his cult that bring him up to bash Ray
I will continue to post to remind some of our posters that what they said a few years ago- and hell, even a couple months ago- was complete bullshit.

Stands did some good things as MSU. And is one of the most successful coaches in State history. Lot to be said for that and his tenure will be looked at fondly by most.

Goat Holder
05-01-2014, 05:34 PM
It doesn't bother me, I don't care enough about basketball about it to bother me. But if I had to guess, you must have a personal beef with Stans somewhere. We will always have fans that don't like certain coaches, but I think even you can admit you took it a little far, at least as far as internet message boards go.

mparkerfd20
05-01-2014, 06:28 PM

You aren't supposed to stick the rolls in your ass, you sick bastard!!

tcdog70
05-02-2014, 09:44 AM
I think you can Bash Ray without any mention of Stanbury. The Shittyness of Ray stands alone.

tcdog70
05-02-2014, 09:48 AM
I will continue to post to remind some of our posters that what they said a few years ago- and hell, even a couple months ago- was complete bullshit.

Is this your new creed. What a noble gesture . We will all sleep better knowing you are out there as a bullshit watcher.

thf24
05-02-2014, 10:05 AM
I think you can Bash Ray without any mention of Stanbury. The Shittyness of Ray stands alone.

Seems to be pretty difficult for you. You continually force Stansbury into basketball threads, accusing people of attacking him when no one had said a word about him.

CadaverDawg
05-02-2014, 10:23 AM
Heck of a post.

If any coach deserves to be the butt of a joke around here, Rick Ray is FAR more qualified for that at this point than Rick Stansbury. It was time for Stans to go, but the fact that people can bash the man that won 20 games per year while our current Coach is putting a putrid product on the court, blows my mind. And yes, I know that some of you think Ray will be great...maybe so....but until he is, you are bashing a guy that has greatly outperformed our current coach. Stansbury kept us on the basketball map...and whether you like it or not, we aren't even on the basketball planet since he left. I was, and still am, glad that we moved on from Stans...but I will always appreciate what he did for MSU and for the awesome basketball memories he made possible for me and other Bulldog fans.

tcdog70
05-02-2014, 08:38 PM
[QUOTE=thf24;171204]Seems to be pretty difficult for you. You continually force Stansbury into basketball threads, accusing people of attacking him when no one had said a word about him.[/

Whatever, I didn't start this thread

thf24
05-02-2014, 11:19 PM
Whatever, I didn't start this thread

All I'm saying is alleging that support for Ray = bashing Stansbury is just as stupid as saying Stansbury didn't do a lot for us and doesn't deserve some respect and dignity. That's all for me on this topic.

mcdawg
05-03-2014, 07:00 AM
Thats fine as what you think about my posting on Stands. Some agree with things I said- some dont. I know now after the fact now it bothers some people- but like the great Mike Justice said- "I want you to know, from the bottom of my heart, if I hurt your feelings- I really dont give a shit"

Stands did some good things as MSU. And is one of the most successful coaches in State history. Lot to be said for that and his tenure will be looked at fondly by most.

If you really mean this, then quit typing "Stands" and type "Stans". I will believe you when you do that. Typing "Stands" is still insulting him and has nothing to do with "cult" people bashing Ray.

I do have a legit question for the you and others on the Board - I think the Ray issue was "could we have hired a coach with a better resume and experience?". I have seen your responses about the where our program was, etc - legit debate answers. Then, how did USM get a coach with the resume? Or (not sarcasm), did we want a younger coach and not a "retread".

Nothing to do with this thread but too lazy to start another one - talked a long time with Fletcher Cox in the airport yesterday. Great kid. Coming from Philly to visit his mom. His family is ok from the storms. He said our recruit from Yazoo City (Tim Washington, I believe) is going to be good. Also, he said that David Turner was his DL coach his freshman year, and he really is good. He talked about the year he played for Diaz and had KJ/Chris White along with Banks, etc - he said they were good and that was fun.