PDA

View Full Version : Dont be surprised if Linton flips to the Confeds this weekend.

dawgclub99
05-01-2014, 06:04 AM
It looks like the bagman has put an all out press on our lower rated recruits. Bucky is one worried little man.

I seen it dawg
05-01-2014, 06:10 AM
We finally get rid of Rusty Linton?

BeastMan
05-01-2014, 06:28 AM
worst kept secret in recruiting. He's good and I had hoped we could keep him but he isn't worth batting an eye at if he flips. Of the guys MSU has offered, Jamaal Peters is the best safety MSU is on and MSU leads. You also have high 3 stars Hunter Dale and Mark McLaurin who we sit in really good shape with who make losing Linton a non-issue. We also sit well with high 3-star Safety Khane Pass. Jonathon Abram of Columbia hasn't been rated yet but he is another high 3 (eventually) who MSU can land. Moral of the story is: don't worry about safety. The MSU board is loaded with safety talent and MSU will ultimately end up telling some really good players no.

AlSwearengen
05-01-2014, 07:16 AM
BeastMan, I think you meant Jamaal Peters? But, yeah, I'll trade a 3 star Linton for a high four, possibly five star Peters at the same position. It may be one of those things where Linton doesn't want to be in the same class as Peters (assuming they play the same safety position). There is no telling what reasons are in play but in the end, it may end up helping us and be what the coaches want.

Coach34
05-01-2014, 07:27 AM
Thank Goodness- No more Rusty Linton

defiantdog
05-01-2014, 07:45 AM
We are recruiting Peters as a linebacker. Also, losing Linton to OM really opens the door for Spivey for us.

Honestly, this recruiting season is gonna suck because it looks like these high prospects for us are gonna wait till the very end. And they'll each favor the last school they visited.

HancockCountyDog
05-01-2014, 08:19 AM
worst kept secret in recruiting. He's good and I had hoped we could keep him but he isn't worth batting an eye at if he flips. Of the guys MSU has offered, Jamaal Adams is the best safety MSU is on and MSU leads. You also have high 3 stars Hunter Dale and Mark McLaurin who we sit in really good shape with who make losing Linton a non-issue. We also sit well with high 3-star Safety Khane Pass. Jonathon Abram of Columbia hasn't been rated yet but he is another high 3 (eventually) who MSU can land. Moral of the story is: don't worry about safety. The MSU board is loaded with safety talent and MSU will ultimately end up telling some really good players no.

Do you know when Fletcher Adams is going to commit? The early word I was told was this summer, but now Im hearing he is going to wait until after his senior year.

Im all for us winning the press conference on his signing, Im assuming that is what is going on. You hearing anything different.

BeastMan
05-01-2014, 09:47 AM
I meant Peters, Al. That's what I get for posting before 7 am. I've heard the LB at the next level talk but that is definitely not set in stone and depends on his growth. At 6'3 200, most assume he puts on 20 lbs and moves to LB but there are plenty of FSs that size. We'll have to see.

On Fletcher Adams, it's lookin like he waits. He is no doubt impressed with OM. His recruitment reminds me of Breeland Speaks last year. He didn't want to be assumed to OM and I think Fletcher is the same. He'll go through the process and as long as MSU makes him a priority, he'll end up in Starkville. Just don't take him for granted.

PassInterference
05-01-2014, 10:18 AM
On Fletcher Adams, it's lookin like he waits. He is no doubt impressed with OM. His recruitment reminds me of Breeland Speaks last year. He didn't want to be assumed to OM and I think Fletcher is the same. He'll go through the process and as long as MSU makes him a priority, he'll end up in Starkville. Just don't take him for granted.

Definitely not taking him for granted. Ole Miss is hot on him.

BeastMan
05-01-2014, 10:26 AM
Per Steve R today, MSU is recruiting Peters as a safety fwiw

HancockCountyDog
05-01-2014, 10:37 AM
Per Steve R today, MSU is recruiting Peters as a safety fwiw

Im not sure where the LB talk was coming from - he is an elite Safety. I hear our main competition is Bama/LSU. Mama doesn't want her son to go be a bear. Good for her.

Personally, there is a part of me where I hope Adams commits to the bears and switches on signing day just to stick it to them. Is that petty?

AlSwearengen
05-01-2014, 10:48 AM
Im not sure where the LB talk was coming from - he is an elite Safety. I hear our main competition is Bama/LSU. Mama doesn't want her son to go be a bear. Good for her.

Personally, there is a part of me where I hope Adams commits to the bears and switches on signing day just to stick it to them. Is that petty?

No, but I don't know if our fans would survive his being committed to them.

HancockCountyDog
05-01-2014, 11:00 AM
No, but I don't know if our fans would survive his being committed to them.

Good point - but I think our coaches and players could.

BeastMan
05-01-2014, 11:02 AM
there is a part of me where I hope Adams commits to the bears and switches on signing day just to stick it to them. Is that petty?

Meh. Plenty of folks would get some enjoyment out of it as some sort of payback. Myself, getting caught up in recruiting shenanigans is nothing more than a weak moral victory. The only true measuring stick is results on the field. If I wanted to measure Mullen's recruiting vs Ole Miss, I'd point to winning the game 4 out of 5 than getting all giddy about a kid flipping. Give me results on the field and that is what I'll hang my hat on.

blacklistedbully
05-01-2014, 11:08 AM
Meh. Plenty of folks would get some enjoyment out of it as some sort of payback. Myself, getting caught up in recruiting shenanigans is nothing more than a weak moral victory. The only true measuring stick is results on the field. If I wanted to measure Mullen's recruiting vs Ole Miss, I'd point to winning the game 4 out of 5 than getting all giddy about a kid flipping. Give me results on the field and that is what I'll hang my hat on.

Agreed. But the other would be icing-on-the-cake. Then again, the last thing I want to emulate is the Bears. I like that most of our guys come across as no-nonsense, put your hard-hat on and earn your spot guys, as opposed to the prima-donna attention whores that tend to eat the Black Bear stuff up.

M.Fillmore
05-01-2014, 11:44 AM
Our problem is that some kids would rather take money now from the BearShark Bagmen than come to MSU as get developed for megabucks in the NFL. Freeze can't develop talent, but he can show "green love".

Todd4State
05-01-2014, 12:23 PM
We are recruiting Peters as a linebacker. Also, losing Linton to OM really opens the door for Spivey for us.

Honestly, this recruiting season is gonna suck because it looks like these high prospects for us are gonna wait till the very end. And they'll each favor the last school they visited.

I think this is what is going to happen for most of these players too. We need to make sure we have the last visit.

Todd4State
05-01-2014, 12:26 PM

I agree. I enjoy recruiting, but I can do without all the schenanigans. And most of the time it's like Kalio where everyone and their brother knows it's going to happen anyway. It's just a waste of time.

spiritual_machine2005
05-01-2014, 12:52 PM
It looks like the bagman has put an all out press on our lower rated recruits. Bucky is one worried little man.

Just curious, but why this weekend? I understand that pretty much everyone believes he is one that is most likely to flip. Just wondered what the significance of this weekend was. Is he visiting or something?

EAVdog
05-01-2014, 04:03 PM
I don't know what the deal is with him but the entire OM beat crew has said he is going to sign with Ole Miss. With a certitude that is even more so than usual. I know they think they can get everyone but his case is exceptional. They must know something.

E.T.A. Just saw on 247 that his High School Coach is a Bear and is leading him to OM hard.

Eric Nies Grind Time
05-01-2014, 04:11 PM
I don't know what the deal is with him but the entire OM beat crew has said he is going to sign with Ole Miss. With a certitude that is even more so than usual. I know they think they can get everyone but his case is exceptional. They must know something.

E.T.A. Just saw on 247 that his High School Coach is a Bear and is leading him to OM hard.

I am not really that concerned about losing Linton...if he goes he goes. He's not a superstar or anything.

If we lose Fletcher, Mullen should just give up on recruiting.

thf24
05-01-2014, 04:15 PM

Does anyone else see this as an unethical practice? I know it works in our favor just as often, but either way, in my opinion there's something wrong with an extremely influential, non-familial figure in a recruit's life pushing him in a certain direction for less than unselfish reasons. I know it's only natural for the coaches (can't say I wouldn't) and there would be absolutely no way to monitor and regulate it even if someone wanted to. It's just never sat quite right with me, no matter if it works for or against us as I said.

RougeDawg
05-01-2014, 04:23 PM
Just curious, but why this weekend? I understand that pretty much everyone believes he is one that is most likely to flip. Just wondered what the significance of this weekend was. Is he visiting or something?

Signing bonus Check didn't clear until the 1st of the month.

Todd4State
05-01-2014, 04:38 PM
Does anyone else see this as an unethical practice? I know it works in our favor just as often, but either way, in my opinion there's something wrong with an extremely influential, non-familial figure in a recruit's life pushing him in a certain direction for less than unselfish reasons. I know it's only natural for the coaches (can't say I wouldn't) and there would be absolutely no way to monitor and regulate it even if someone wanted to. It's just never sat quite right with me, no matter if it works for or against us as I said.

Personally, I think it's unethical for a teacher to influence where a student goes based on their personal preferences. A good teacher would want their students to go and succeed wherever it is best for them. That's why Tobias Singleton and Joe Price's recruitment didn't sit well with me. Singleton was a slot WR who was basically made to go to a team that ran almost exclusively out of the I-formation. Shockingly, he started out third string on the depth chart and is now somewhere that fits him better. But had he come to MSU, he may be doing what Jameon is doing- except he has NFL height and size. As it is now, Singleton will likely end up in Canada if he is lucky.

And Price's recruitment didn't sit well with me because you don't tell a kid who has a legit SEC offer to go play for 1-11 Memphis.

Bobby Hall is absolutely the worst offender of this in the state.

defiantdog
05-01-2014, 04:46 PM
Coaches involvement has gotten absolutely comical within the last 10 years. Honestly, coaches should worry more about what the kid is going to do for their own school and not so much at the next level.

thunderclap
05-01-2014, 04:49 PM
Because letting others make your decision always works out so well.

defiantdog
05-01-2014, 04:53 PM
Personally, I think it's unethical for a teacher to influence where a student goes based on their personal preferences. A good teacher would want their students to go and succeed wherever it is best for them. That's why Tobias Singleton and Joe Price's recruitment didn't sit well with me. Singleton was a slot WR who was basically made to go to a team that ran almost exclusively out of the I-formation. Shockingly, he started out third string on the depth chart and is now somewhere that fits him better. But had he come to MSU, he may be doing what Jameon is doing- except he has NFL height and size. As it is now, Singleton will likely end up in Canada if he is lucky.

And Price's recruitment didn't sit well with me because you don't tell a kid who has a legit SEC offer to go play for 1-11 Memphis.

I'm right there with you man. Coach Justice used to be fair and let the players choose for themselves. Bobby Hall is awful when it comes to OM leans. Should've known something was up when they put that awful turf on Madison Central's football field.

EAVdog
05-01-2014, 05:20 PM

Joe Price definitely got some bad advice. I'm not saying after Tobias flipped he still would have had a Scholly but it's not like Memphis wouldn't have been available then. However the way he contacted the CL and spilled his guts before contacting our coaches he got what he deserved.

The High School coach is part of the game. It's certainly helped us in the past. Unless the Coach is getting a fee for delivering kids then well that's between the player and the coach. If it's real blatant it can backfire on his program though.

Sam&DeansDawg
05-01-2014, 05:46 PM
I am not really that concerned about losing Linton...if he goes he goes. He's not a superstar or anything.

If we lose Fletcher, Mullen should just give up on recruiting.

Sadly enough I think hes wearing red and blue

Todd4State
05-01-2014, 05:50 PM
I'm right there with you man. Coach Justice used to be fair and let the players choose for themselves. Bobby Hall is awful when it comes to OM leans. Should've known something was up when they put that awful turf on Madison Central's football field.

The guy basically had orange and blue versions of Ole Miss uniforms made up a few years ago and made the team wear them.

Todd4State
05-01-2014, 05:54 PM
Joe Price definitely got some bad advice. I'm not saying after Tobias flipped he still would have had a Scholly but it's not like Memphis wouldn't have been available then. However the way he contacted the CL and spilled his guts before contacting our coaches he got what he deserved.

The High School coach is part of the game. It's certainly helped us in the past. Unless the Coach is getting a fee for delivering kids then well that's between the player and the coach. If it's real blatant it can backfire on his program though.

He definitely got what he deserved. I do think that Dan would have honored the scholarship offer because we had spots and the reason they offered was because Price ran a 4.3 40 in camp or something like that. Market and Brassell were supposed to be package deals as well- but as we know Market's scholarship was honored even without Brassell coming. Dan only does package deals if he thinks both players can reasonably contribute to the team based on what I have seen. And as long as a player stays committed, he's not going to pull the offer.

ShotgunDawg
05-01-2014, 06:45 PM
Sadly enough I think hes wearing red and blue

Do we really have fans this stupid? Mind boggling

preachermatt83
05-01-2014, 08:49 PM

I agree.. Adams is simply enjoying the process.. He is a bulldawg. After the bears flipped rawlings last year Nelson tweeted at Fletcher and said " I can guarantee you one that wont ever be going to TSUN".

esplanade91
05-02-2014, 02:33 AM
I agree.. Adams is simply enjoying the process.. He is a bulldawg. After the bears flipped rawlings last year Nelson tweeted at Fletcher and said " I can guarantee you one that wont ever be going to TSUN".

Nelson is a good guy. And he HATES Ole Miss more than anyone.

But his family is the kind of family that is consumed by people like Freeze. I know that Nelson is at State without a car, so if he's offered anything by anyone at OM I think he'll take it.

Just wait for Fletcher to roll up to their campus in a Dodge Charger. That will validate just about everything.

The best thing we can do is not assume anything, give big bro some PT, and dominate the trenches all season long. Between big bro, our track record at DL, Hughes, Collins, and Turner, I like our chances though.

MaxedOutMaroon
05-02-2014, 07:23 AM
I sure hope we are able to get fletcher on or by signing day and think we will. But the thing that scares me is Demarco Cox (fletcher cox's cousin) going over there. Granted he's not comparable to Fletcher Adams and he's playing his worse sport at OM. After that head scratcher occurred, I am confident but still questioning with Adams

HancockCountyDog
05-02-2014, 08:34 AM
Coaches involvement has gotten absolutely comical within the last 10 years. Honestly, coaches should worry more about what the kid is going to do for their own school and not so much at the next level.

It goes both ways. We don't complain when HS coaches push kids our way, and we have a huge advantage in state on HS coaches. Anyone that has been around HS football coaches in MS know that we have at least 60% of them. Now some of them don't give a shit about the rivalry and all that, but I would bet you that 60% of the HS coaches are bulldogs.

Chris Jones' coach was doing everything he could to keep Chris in the fold, and he did his part. I was perfectly fine with that.

HancockCountyDog
05-02-2014, 08:37 AM

Its clear that some on here have an agenda. We will land Fletcher, he just wants his moment in the sun. Can't blame the kid, he has every major school in the south coming after him, nothing wrong with enjoying the process.

mic
05-02-2014, 08:39 AM
He doesn't have a commendable offer from us anyway...**

jumbo
05-02-2014, 08:43 AM
we've got bigger fish on our saftey board so I'm not going to get riled up about this one

AlSwearengen
05-02-2014, 11:22 AM
sounds to me like Nelson might be needing a car. And of course car lots always have at least two cars on them, so might as well get Fletcher one as well.

Todd4State
05-02-2014, 11:28 AM
It goes both ways. We don't complain when HS coaches push kids our way, and we have a huge advantage in state on HS coaches. Anyone that has been around HS football coaches in MS know that we have at least 60% of them. Now some of them don't give a shit about the rivalry and all that, but I would bet you that 60% of the HS coaches are bulldogs.

Chris Jones' coach was doing everything he could to keep Chris in the fold, and he did his part. I was perfectly fine with that.

Like alllow him to go o Oxford?

smootness
05-02-2014, 12:42 PM
Like alllow him to go o Oxford?

First, why would his HS coach be the one who is 'allowing' Chris Jones to do anything? If Chris Jones wanted to go to Oxford, he had a car.

Second, why would we be in favor of a HS coach forcing a kid not to go places, even if it helps us?

Todd4State
05-02-2014, 01:01 PM
First, why would his HS coach be the one who is 'allowing' Chris Jones to do anything? If Chris Jones wanted to go to Oxford, he had a car.

Second, why would we be in favor of a HS coach forcing a kid not to go places, even if it helps us?

Good questions. I still stand by my stance that it is unethical to force a kid to go somewhere. Even if that is MSU. The reason being a lot of times if a kid goes somewhere that he isn't really happy, then they don't perform as well.

I think the thing about Chris Jones's recruitment being so much about his coach is Yancy spin for getting beat by Dan.

yjnkdawg
05-02-2014, 08:41 PM

Same thing for D Moncrief to OM, I'm pretty sure, but in that case I think it was an assistant coach.

M.Fillmore
05-04-2014, 12:51 PM
Any flip word yet? Loooong way to February.

Todd4State
05-04-2014, 01:00 PM
Not that I have heard of. Rosebowl claims that he is in Oxford for some HS track meet though.

mullenite
05-04-2014, 03:07 PM
I sure hope we are able to get fletcher on or by signing day and think we will. But the thing that scares me is Demarco Cox (fletcher cox's cousin) going over there. Granted he's not comparable to Fletcher Adams and he's playing his worse sport at OM. After that head scratcher occurred, I am confident but still questioning with Adams

D. Cox is likely not going to be at om this bball season. Word is he's headed to D2. Possibly Delta State.