PDA

View Full Version : I said before, we are a joke behind the plate.

Jacksondevildog
04-30-2014, 08:50 PM
We should never be this bad at Mississippi State defensively at catcher.

Todd4State
04-30-2014, 08:59 PM
No kidding. We should not have taken Collins out. Even if he misses every sign.

Jacksondevildog
04-30-2014, 09:00 PM
I don't think the majority of posters on this board really realize how bad we are back there.

Todd4State
04-30-2014, 09:06 PM
I'm sure most realize we're bad back there maybe not to the extent- but damn, it's pretty rare when I can say that our catcher cost us a game with his defense or lack thereof. And sure, I'll acknowledge that the hitting wasn't good either- but we're up 1-0 with a guy that is likely a second round pick and a guy that has a chance to be the SEC all-time saves leader- and they get two runs on basically one hit. It's like every at bat there's a passed ball or a wild pitch.

Randolph looks like a wounded giraffe trying to play catcher back there.

Jacksondevildog
04-30-2014, 09:09 PM
We give up a run on a passed ball almost every game. Randolph wouldn't play at Millsaps. I'm not shitting you on that at all.

maroonmania
04-30-2014, 09:13 PM
AND at the plate.

CJDAWG85
04-30-2014, 09:18 PM
I don't think the majority of posters on this board really realize how bad we are back there.

Maybe no one realizes how good Ammo was back there.

Jacksondevildog
04-30-2014, 09:20 PM
He and Slauter were good back there.

CJDAWG85
04-30-2014, 09:23 PM
I think the passed balls are partly because of the turf too. It seems like we are giving up a lot of them this year. But the main issue is having a bunch of midgets at the plate.

Jacksondevildog
04-30-2014, 09:28 PM
There were two or three of the passed balls that were around 8 inches above the plate and we tried to frame the pitch and hold the glove there. Yet we missed the ball. The turf didn't cause the problem.

Homedawg
04-30-2014, 10:05 PM

Wasn't Collins in the game In the eighth? Maybe I missed the change. I know Randolph was in in the ninth but I thought Collins was catching the eighth? No?

Jacksondevildog
04-30-2014, 10:07 PM
Collins got pulled during the inning after a multitude of passed balls.

BeardoMSU
04-30-2014, 10:10 PM
For a little levity,maybe we said "**** Jobu" a little too early....
http://mysteriousuniverse.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Jobu.jpg

Todd4State
04-30-2014, 10:11 PM
He and Slauter were good back there.

Slauter was good. Ammo was average. I didn't like how Ammo tried to pancake everything.

Todd4State
04-30-2014, 10:14 PM
Wasn't Collins in the game In the eighth? Maybe I missed the change. I know Randolph was in in the ninth but I thought Collins was catching the eighth? No?

What Jacksondevildog said. If it were me, I would have chewed Collins ass on the mound and just dealt with the wrath of the blue heads.

messageboardsuperhero
04-30-2014, 10:15 PM
Slauter was good. Ammo was average. I didn't like how Ammo tried to pancake everything.

Ammo was a brick wall when it came to blocking balls in the dirt- but I've never seen a catcher as bad at framing pitches as he was.

Jacksondevildog
04-30-2014, 10:20 PM
You obviously haven't seen us this year.
Ammo was a brick wall when it came to blocking balls in the dirt- but I've never seen a catcher as bad at framing pitches as he was.

Will James
04-30-2014, 10:27 PM
Slauter was good. .

Miss him in so many ways. Hitting, defense, attitude..

Todd4State
04-30-2014, 10:27 PM
I wouldn't be shocked if Cohen told Mingione to get his ass on the road and find the best JUCO defensive catcher he can find.

I'll tell you what I would do next year- we have a guy on the team that is redshirting named Ben Hudspeth who is a pitcher. He was a pretty good catcher at Tupelo HS and made the Mississippi HS all-star game as a catcher. He pitched and caught at Itawamba and he went undefeated as a pitcher his freshman year. He has struggled on the mound since then.

I doubt he would solve any offensive issues, but I bet he can catch at least as well as Randolph if not better. He's a hard nosed player.

Todd4State
04-30-2014, 10:28 PM

Yes, and another good team leader.

Coach34
04-30-2014, 10:28 PM

Collins is not very good defensively- and by not very good- I mean bad

Todd4State
04-30-2014, 10:32 PM

True. But he's better than our other options. If for no other reason than at least he doesn't lollipop the ball back to the mound.

I'm amazed that people don't run on Randolph more than they do. I don't think he could throw out Refrigerator Perry.

Coach34
04-30-2014, 10:45 PM
True. But he's better than our other options. If for no other reason than at least he doesn't lollipop the ball back to the mound.

I'm amazed that people don't run on Randolph more than they do. I don't think he could throw out Refrigerator Perry.

I agree with Cohen playing Collins now to see if he can improve because he has a great bat- and I also see why he played Randolph earlier this year because Collins is not very good defensively.

BeardoMSU
04-30-2014, 10:58 PM

Agreed. I loved watching him jaw up a batter with every end of inning strike out (especially from Stratton and Holder). He got in guys heads.

Jacksondevildog
05-01-2014, 07:41 AM
Spot on.

LC Dawg
05-01-2014, 09:44 AM
This has to be affecting our pitchers' mindsets at this point. I worry that if someone gets on late in a close game our pitchers are going to be thinking too much about passed balls and may not want to throw anything that sinks.

Saltydog
05-01-2014, 10:00 AM
had his shares of miscues as well. He's mid level juco player, at best. Glad he's not on scholly.

RAYn_Man
05-01-2014, 09:07 PM

Ammo was better defensively all-around.

preachermatt83
05-01-2014, 09:17 PM
Collins is not bad defensively "all around".. Collins is bad IN ONE AREA...ONE! allowing balls to get by him . But his ability to throw out runners is as good as any catcher in the country. his release is the quickest these eyes have ever seen. Not to mention he has a good bat. So what do you do? You coach! Teach the young man, who is a FRESHMAN to do a better job of not allowing balls to get by him. There are drills that help with that. Collins is outstanding all around. He just struggles in that one area. Randolph sucks in every area. End of discussion.

RougeDawg
05-01-2014, 10:36 PM
Collins is not bad defensively "all around".. Collins is bad IN ONE AREA...ONE! allowing balls to get by him . But his ability to throw out runners is as good as any catcher in the country. his release is the quickest these eyes have ever seen. Not to mention he has a good bat. So what do you do? You coach! Teach the young man, who is a FRESHMAN to do a better job of not allowing balls to get by him. There are drills that help with that. Collins is outstanding all around. He just struggles in that one area. Randolph sucks in every area. End of discussion.

you are forgetting one glaring problem with our entire program. We don't teach the basic fundamentals and mechanics. Every issue that keeps getting debated on our boards are easily correctable if taught properly. It's inherently apparent our coaching staff just lets the players do whatever the **** they want fundamentally. We must only teach situationally, but our players are even suspect in that area as well. Base running is a complete circus, so I won't even go there.

RAYn_Man
05-02-2014, 12:14 AM
I'm sold. If RougeDawg isn't on our coaching staff within the next 8 months, I'm becoming a Reb fan.***

RougeDawg
05-02-2014, 01:43 AM
I'm sold. If RougeDawg isn't on our coaching staff within the next 8 months, I'm becoming a Reb fan.***

I'm sold, you're a ****ing moron and don't know dick about Baseball. Any true baseball person will say the same thing as I do. If you are so knowledgeable on the subject of baseball, tell me what we actually do fundamentally correct as a team? Please let me know so I can start to remove your ****in moronic status from the message boards.

ETA: Forgot to post last week, that I spoke to a "current player" a couple weeks ago and asked him if Cohen and Crew were teaching specific things to our team. To which every answer was, NOOOOOOOOOOOO. He doesn't try to change anyone's swing mechanics or teach basics. So chew on that shit.