PDA

View Full Version : SEC Baseball Tournament Question

CJDAWG85
04-30-2014, 09:05 AM
Which format are they using this year? Please tell me isn't like last year.

Goat Holder
04-30-2014, 09:08 AM
See no reason why it would be different. But I agree it's horrible. Even with 14 teams, still should be top 8 IMO, and play it like the CWS with the Ch'ip game being a single game instead of a 3 game series.

State82
04-30-2014, 09:11 AM
Which format are they using this year? Please tell me isn't like last year.

Same as last year. Top 4 get a bye on the first day (Tue). The other 8 play Tue in single elimination. Then Wed starts double elimination play with 8 teams. Only 2 teams won't make the tourney.

Political Hack
04-30-2014, 09:14 AM
14 teams bring more money than 8.

DawgSaint
04-30-2014, 09:15 AM
See no reason why it would be different. But I agree it's horrible. Even with 14 teams, still should be top 8 IMO, and play it like the CWS with the Ch'ip game being a single game instead of a 3 game series.

I agree for the sake of the tournament. However, you know why they are doing this? So when the league gets at least 10 bids in NCAA tourney other teams around the country can't whine "Hey, they didn't even make their conference tourney."

CJDAWG85
04-30-2014, 09:16 AM
Last year, I thought all 14 teams made it and the 1st rd was single elimination, 2nd was double, then semis and finals were back to single?

CJDAWG85
04-30-2014, 09:29 AM
I'm looking at the bracket now. Yeah, only 12 make it. Top 4 get a bye the first day. Here's what it looks like right now. I maybe wrong though. It's tough doing this on a phone.

3. Ole Miss
6. MSU
11. Aub

2. Bama
7. Vandy
10. UK

1. UF
8. Ark
9. A&M

4. LSU
5. SCar
12. Tenn

CJDAWG85
04-30-2014, 09:30 AM
Well it messed it up. But those top 4 teams would play the 2 up under them.

State82
04-30-2014, 09:37 AM
Last year, I thought all 14 teams made it and the 1st rd was single elimination, 2nd was double, then semis and finals were back to single?

I honestly don't remember for sure but I know there were 4 games each of the first 2 days and the first day was single elimination. So that would have been 8 teams first day and 6 would have gotten byes which would have left 10 to start double elimination second day. I don't remember that being the case.

Jack Lambert
04-30-2014, 09:40 AM
I'm looking at the bracket now. Yeah, only 12 make it. Top 4 get a bye the first day. Here's what it looks like right now. I maybe wrong though. It's tough doing this on a phone.

3. Ole Miss
6. MSU
11. Aub

2. Bama
7. Vandy
10. UK

1. UF
8. Ark
9. A&M

4. LSU
5. SCar
12. Tenn

The thing about this is it could all flip this weekend.

mstatefan1010
04-30-2014, 11:17 AM
I disagree with single elimination beginning in the semi-final round. Of course I'm a little biased seeing as how if affected us last year. Seems a little unfair that we were 3-0 after having to play on the opening day and were eliminated after losing to a Vandy team who had a loss coming into our game. Maybe if both teams were unbeaten, a single elimination semi-final would be ok.

The Croom Diaries
04-30-2014, 11:59 AM
I disagree with single elimination beginning in the semi-final round. Of course I'm a little biased seeing as how if affected us last year. Seems a little unfair that we were 3-0 after having to play on the opening day and were eliminated after losing to a Vandy team who had a loss coming into our game. Maybe if both teams were unbeaten, a single elimination semi-final would be ok.

Yeah it's a silly bracket. There is no reason to go back and forth with the single and double elimination.

I'd be in favor of 8 teams double elimination but since they want 12 teams I think they should either

A: just make it single elimination from start to finish

B: have 4 pods of 3 teams each, quick round robin where everyone plays two games (that would mean each team played 2 games in 4 days), then have the winner of each pod play semifinals on Saturday (single elimination) and championship on Sunday. If you have to break a tie where all the teams in a pod are 1-1 then just come up with something like run differential...it's not like the tournament matters that much anyway, and it's no more absurd than the current format.

Political Hack
04-30-2014, 12:55 PM
All 14 make it. Top 2 get a bye.

Single elimination Four team brackets:
3, 8, 11, 14

4, 7, 10, 13

5, 6, 9, 12

Reseed 1-5 for a double elimination tournament with the top seed getting the bye. Then play a game of flip cup to determine tie breakers. If flip cup ends in a tie, head coaches have to compete in dizzy bat.

This makes as much sense as the current format to me. 12 of 14 making it is ridiculous. Either do all 14 and find a ridiculous way to make it work just like they do now or cut the teams to 8 and play the CWS format... which IMO would be much more beneficial to the SEC come natty title time. Let the coaches go through the rotation once.