PDA

View Full Version : New Baseball Commit

bobcat91
04-29-2014, 02:38 PM
Jared Pagett of Graceville, Florida chose us over UF, FSU and SCar. He is 6'4", 200 lbs and is a lefty. In 53 innings pitched he had 125 SO.

Goat Holder
04-29-2014, 02:50 PM
Freakin' serious

Fire Cohenz hire Will James

Coach34
04-29-2014, 02:58 PM
He's too big to play a regular position for us- can't be over 5'10/175

AlSwearengen
04-29-2014, 03:42 PM
over fsu, fl, and s.c. That is important.

State82
04-29-2014, 03:45 PM
Sweet acquisition by the recruiter.

MarketingBully01
04-29-2014, 03:47 PM
Nice, we need more lefties.

BeardoMSU
04-29-2014, 04:12 PM
Jared Pagett of Graceville, Florida chose us over UF, FSU and SCar. He is 6'4", 200 lbs and is a lefty. In 53 innings pitched he had 125 SO.

http://www.geekexchange.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Who-Got-Dee-Pregnant.gif

Johnson85
04-29-2014, 04:19 PM
So over 78% of outs he recorded were strikeouts?

Will James
04-29-2014, 04:22 PM
Atta boy Recruiter the type of player our program should get.

msstate7
04-29-2014, 04:22 PM
Draft status?

Todd4State
04-29-2014, 04:28 PM
This guy is legit. Conservatively he would a four star guy- and I don't think it would be a stretch to say he would be a five star guy. He's a LH pitcher that is throwing 93. According to this, he has a chance to be an Under Armour All-American- which is the highest honor a baseball player can get. He's 6'4" as well. It's hard to find LH pitchers that have that kind of size that throw that hard. I think it's going to be hard to keep him from MLB.

http://www.jcfloridan.com/sports/article_2dc17a8e-82f0-11e3-89cd-001a4bcf6878.html

But if we do get him, he would be the kind of guy that could potentially step in right away and be a weekend starter. Having him and Austin Riley at the top of the rotation would be badass.

messageboardsuperhero
04-29-2014, 04:31 PM
A big lefty who strikes a lot of people out and has offers from FSU, UF, and USCe? Yep, sounds good to me.

Just another great get for the 2015 class- hopefully the 2015 MLB draft is kind to us in 14 months.

DawgSaint
I was thinking same thing Todd. He would appear to be a high draft pick, but who knows? I hope we can sign him!

Todd4State
So over 78% of outs he recorded were strikeouts?

And in Florida no less.

C222
04-29-2014, 04:33 PM
Atta boy Recruiter the type of player our program should get.

If only the "Recuiter" could turn this talent into some post season success.

Will James
04-29-2014, 04:36 PM

Well that's certainly the plan. Get the talent that will lead to hosting regardless of who's sending in signs in-game.

Todd4State
04-29-2014, 04:45 PM
A big lefty who strikes a lot of people out and has offers from FSU, UF, and USCe? Yep, sounds good to me.

Just another great get for the 2015 class- hopefully the 2015 MLB draft is kind to us in 14 months.

Yes, we just took a legit Florida kid away from Florida and FSU. Omaha.

Our 2015 class is going to be awesome if we can keep it together.

Austin Riley- I think he may be a legit dual position guy in college, although we won't really know until he gets here. Has a chance to be an UA All-American.
Jared Padgett- Has a chance to be an UA All-American.
Noah Hughes- RHP that should be a weekend starter and is one of the top pitchers in Mississippi right now as a junior.
Keegan James- RHP that should at a minimum help out the bullpen and could become a starting pitcher.
Hunter Stovall- C from Birmingham that has impressed scouts at the East Coast pro showcase last year and might move to second base or stay at catcher depending on how the class finishes out. Hard nosed and has good speed. Auburn wanted him really bad.
Luke Alexander- SS from Belmont that was hitting .340 with 3 home runs and played for Team USA in junior high. One of the best defensive players in the state and is a switch hitter.
Jake Mangum- OF from Prep that is one of the best bunters in the state, can run, defend, and is a switch hitter. Has a great arm and can pitch as well.
Brant Blaylock- OF from Desoto Central that is raw but is 6'2" and only weighs 185. Might develop some power as he fills out. If he doesn't, he's probably another Brent Brownlee at worst without the injury history. He can run and has a very good arm. I'm not sure what he will become down the road, but I have no doubt that he's a SEC player.

Stovall is the only guy listed below 6'0", but if he's a second baseman, 5'9" is more than acceptable.

I want to finish out with another pitcher or two, either a catcher or a middle infielder, and two more corner infielders/outfielders with power.

Todd4State
04-29-2014, 04:48 PM
I was thinking same thing Todd. He would appear to be a high draft pick, but who knows? I hope we can sign him!

I'd rather him be in the fold than not for sure!

Todd4State
04-29-2014, 04:49 PM

Going to Omaha is overrated.**

MsStateBaseball
04-29-2014, 08:04 PM
This young man followed me on twitter today and he looks and sounds like a fine Christian man. I'm glad he committed. I would say he will come to school. This class is another top 5 class.

MsStateBaseball
04-29-2014, 08:16 PM
In his interview w Gene, he said the current players introducing themselves on the field highly impressed him. Fla, SCar did not do that to that extent. Of course our fans impressed him. We need to keep it going. Go for the highest rated players.

Bucky Dog
04-29-2014, 08:16 PM
He's too big to play a regular position for us- can't be over 5'10/175

I laughed!

Todd4State
04-29-2014, 08:22 PM
This young man followed me on twitter today and he looks and sounds like a fine Christian man. I'm glad he committed. I would say he will come to school. This class is another top 5 class.

In the article I linked, it said he wanted to be drafted. That's not to say that he is leaning to MLB, but it's going to be a battle. I wish we had some bag men that could throw around 2 million dollars to these guys so that they could get the 2 M from us and then whatever later on. Of course, the Phillies would turn us in like they did Oregon State.

MsStateBaseball
04-29-2014, 08:28 PM
Just like most of them do, they will have to sit down w their parents and talk. The pull of three years education and being a 1st rounder should win out.

messageboardsuperhero
04-29-2014, 08:38 PM
In the article I linked, it said he wanted to be drafted. That's not to say that he is leaning to MLB, but it's going to be a battle. I wish we had some bag men that could throw around 2 million dollars to these guys so that they could get the 2 M from us and then whatever later on. Of course, the Phillies would turn us in like they did Oregon State.

Having virtually unlimited academic scholarship funds for baseball like Vandy does would certainly help too...

Todd4State
04-29-2014, 09:45 PM
Having virtually unlimited academic scholarship funds for baseball like Vandy does would certainly help too...

No doubt it would.

Vanderbilt has several commitments in the top 100. It's going to be interesting to see how many of them that they get. Like I said, I'm sure they will get Cease because of his arm injury unless he just takes the minimum slot from someone willing to roll the dice.

I think Cohen and the baseball staff do a much better job of finding funds for players than Polk did. I don't know the exact numbers, but most of our athletic scholarship money goes to pitchers. When there is a shortfall, they try to supplement it with academic scholarships and grants and things like that. We just do it a little bit differently because of our situation. It kind of works two fold because in order to keep their academic scholarship, they have to make good grades, which in turn makes the program look good from an academic standpoint. Because the team makes good grades, it helps us to sell the program to parents.

messageboardsuperhero
04-29-2014, 09:53 PM
No doubt it would.

Vanderbilt has several commitments in the top 100. It's going to be interesting to see how many of them that they get. Like I said, I'm sure they will get Cease because of his arm injury unless he just takes the minimum slot from someone willing to roll the dice.

I think Cohen and the baseball staff do a much better job of finding funds for players than Polk did. I don't know the exact numbers, but most of our athletic scholarship money goes to pitchers. When there is a shortfall, they try to supplement it with academic scholarships and grants and things like that. We just do it a little bit differently because of our situation. It kind of works two fold because in order to keep their academic scholarship, they have to make good grades, which in turn makes the program look good from an academic standpoint. Because the team makes good grades, it helps us to sell the program to parents.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the baseball team have the highest APR/GPA in the SEC? Vandy is right there with us- but I know our players do really well in the classroom too. Sam Frost was the SEC Scholar-Athlete of the year last year.

Those have to be nice selling points when recruiting parents.

Todd4State
04-29-2014, 10:05 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the baseball team have the highest APR/GPA in the SEC? Vandy is right there with us- but I know our players do really well in the classroom too. Sam Frost was the SEC Scholar-Athlete of the year last year.

Those have to be nice selling points when recruiting parents.

I know we set a MSU record. I don't know how we compare to Vanderbilt.

Obviously, when you compare to MSU to Vanderbilt to parents and you're talking about education it's hard to pull that off, but it's good to have something tangible that they can see. It also helps with guys that are not being looked at by Vanderbilt as well.

jgunn
04-29-2014, 11:08 PM
Keegan James can swing the bat pretty well. Plays a lot of first and some second for DC. I think he can hit in college.

Todd4State
04-29-2014, 11:13 PM
Keegan James can swing the bat pretty well. Plays a lot of first and some second for DC. I think he can hit in college.

You never know. I remember we recruited Jonathan Holder as an outfielder and then his senior year his hitting declined, but he really emerged as a pitcher. And we know the rest of the story.

jgunn
04-29-2014, 11:21 PM
You never know. I remember we recruited Jonathan Holder as an outfielder and then his senior year his hitting declined, but he really emerged as a pitcher. And we know the rest of the story.

Very true...This 2015 class is insane...I think Riley will be a two way player, he can make some difficult plays in the field look easy.