PDA

View Full Version : Ref

RossDawg82
04-29-2014, 08:16 AM
I wanted to take this time to thank Ref for all his hard work during the storm last night. I lost power and my only updates on the storm were through Elitedawgs and TWC. There is no doubt that you and all the other that updated from their locations saved lives last night. Me, my wife, and my 2 year old daughter thank you. Hailstate

M.Fillmore
04-29-2014, 08:22 AM
A good word. I confess that I would not have taken the weather seriously without Ref's warnings.

DownwardDawg
04-29-2014, 08:30 AM
I agree. Ref does a great job. We need more of our meteorology students/grads to chime in also. These discussions help tremendously. I'd also like to thank whichever poster that posted the link to the storm chasers. I watched that all day and into the night while keeping my family updated. Good stuff.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX......thanks for the link!

TheRef
04-29-2014, 09:10 AM
It's what we love to do guys. We wish that no one was injured in these things and we could just watch it go over a desert area. But I'm always willing to help y'all out and try to keep y'all as informed as possible.

RossDawg82
04-29-2014, 09:11 AM
What is today looking like for Starkville? Is this going to just be a big rain or are we in for round 2?

TheRef
04-29-2014, 09:17 AM
What is today looking like for Starkville? Is this going to just be a big rain or are we in for round 2?

I'm going to start a separate thread on that...it'll be inbound soon.

DownwardDawg
04-29-2014, 09:25 AM
I'm going to start a separate thread on that...it'll be inbound soon.

Can't wait!!!!! Shit. I have this weird infatuation with severe weather.

TheRef
04-29-2014, 09:29 AM
Can't wait!!!!! Shit. I have this weird infatuation with severe weather.

Haha...just don't go outside during one and try to go towards the "light" aka tornado

Barking 13
04-29-2014, 09:29 AM
Norwood is the man...

M.Fillmore
04-29-2014, 10:35 AM
Ref,

What is your opinion of storm chasers? Admittedly, I have a fascination with severe weather. But these guys seem to be playing Russian Roulette.

Do the stormchasers add to the body of knowledge? I know some place sensors in the tornado paths. But I'd also bet that some are goofballs just out to get a rush.

TheRef
04-29-2014, 10:39 AM
Ref,

What is your opinion of storm chasers? Admittedly, I have a fascination with severe weather. But these guys seem to be playing Russian Roulette.

Do the stormchasers add to the body of knowledge? I know some place sensors in the tornado paths. But I'd also bet that some are goofballs just out to get a rush.

Most chasers are in it for the safety aspect of it. Storm Chasers are your front line of observers and when they're good at what they do, they will actually save lives. Yeah you're in it for the adrenaline rush and you want to get that shot sometimes. But once you come across damage, it's your duty to switch from storm chaser to first responder. The problem is that you get people who have no meteorological experience and they just want to go out and watch it. Those are the ones who are fools about this and get themselves and others hurt in the process. I chased yesterday and we tried to help out however we could. When we spotted a tornado about to cross the highway we tried to stop people well away from it so that no one would get hurt. The key is to stay a safe distance away if you don't have the equipment necessary to get a lot closer. Some chasers do have special sensors that they can place in front of storms and get very useful data from it. So it's a wide-array of people who the public considers "chasers". But whenever you have regular people out there just trying to get close to this beast of Mother Nature, that's when people get hurt.

M.Fillmore
04-29-2014, 10:52 AM
That makes sense to me. I'll hunker down and stay away and leave the action to the pros. I can always watch video to satisfy my fascination with the rough weather. Kudos to y'all on the front lines.

Martianlander
04-29-2014, 11:16 AM
It's what we love to do guys. We wish that no one was injured in these things and we could just watch it go over a desert area. But I'm always willing to help y'all out and try to keep y'all as informed as possible.

Thanks for everything Ref!

TheRef
04-29-2014, 11:21 AM
Here is what happens when you have stupid people out trying to chase. This guy first off was stupid for driving into the path of the tornado that he could see. Secondly, he drove his car into the ditch to try and ride it out. Third, he stayed inside the vehicle with the tornado close by. Those three things alone are reasons why he should be thanking his lucky stars for him even being alive. Then he had the audacity to say "Well that's what happens when you're a tornado chaser." when all of the windows in his vehicle were blown out. No...that's what happens when you're an IDIOT. /rant and I'm sorry for going on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTf_1MbTbZM&feature=youtu.be

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-29-2014, 01:31 PM
No problem DownwardDawg, I found it about 3 years ago and have been using it ever since.

Hey Ref, here's a screenshot off my phone of the SRV Tilt 1 from the Tornado that started in Louisiana, went to the southeast part of Vicksburg and on to Jackson. I'm not sure if it's the same one that affected Richland or not. Is there a site where I can find the paths of the tornadoes? 508

Other than SRV and Classic Reflectivity, what other tools are available to identify storms on radar? Is the Correlation Coefficient effective?

TheRef
04-29-2014, 01:35 PM
No problem DownwardDawg, I found it about 3 years ago and have been using it ever since.

Hey Ref, here's a screenshot off my phone of the SRV Tilt 1 from the Tornado that started in Louisiana, went to the southeast part of Vicksburg and on to Jackson. I'm not sure if it's the same one that affected Richland or not. Is there a site where I can find the paths of the tornadoes? 508

Other than SRV and Classic Reflectivity, what other tools are available to identify storms on radar? Is the Correlation Coefficient effective?

CC is effective to find out if the storm is on the ground. Low CC values will tell you if debris is being thrown up, which in turn tells you that the tornado is on the ground. Usually the NWS puts out the storm tracks after the survey is completed. I would check with NWS Jackson after they complete the survey to find out the exact tornado track.

DownwardDawg
04-29-2014, 03:29 PM
Haha...just don't go outside during one and try to go towards the "light" aka tornado

My wife has video of me running around outside during katrina. I was chasing something. Can't remember what now. Anyway, I've always been infatuated with weather. I love hurricane season.

Hattdawg
04-29-2014, 03:49 PM
My wife has video of me running around outside during katrina. I was chasing something. Can't remember what now. Anyway, I've always been infatuated with weather. I love hurricane season.

Downward, I'm in Oak Grove too. Did the same thing during Katrina. Now I got 3 kids I've slowed down some.

DownwardDawg
04-29-2014, 04:19 PM
Downward, I'm in Oak Grove too. Did the same thing during Katrina. Now I got 3 kids I've slowed down some.

Ha! I hear ya. I've slowed a bunch too.