PDA

View Full Version : We should schedule Ohio State for 2016.

coastratdog
04-28-2014, 09:59 PM
My reasons why.
1. Nothing To lose. We beat them and up the ranks we shoot. We lose and at least or RPI doesn't take a hit.
2. Huge TV exposure. Mullen vs His old boss. Remember Mullen is 1 & 0 vs butt head.
3. Won't cost us an arm and leg. Should get a home and away game.

Others I'd like to see. USCWest, Miami (need FLORIDA recruiting), Michigan rematch.

Dawg61
04-28-2014, 10:06 PM
No we shouldn't.

EdDawg
04-28-2014, 10:07 PM
Mullen is 1-1 v. Meyer. Lost his first year here to Florida although Banks did have 2 pick 6's so.... Moral Victory?

BeardoMSU
04-28-2014, 10:10 PM
1. Uh...no.
2. Dan is 1-1 against Urban. Lost at home in 2009 (ala Tebow), won in Gainesville 2010.
3. Uh...no again. That would be 2 losses in a row.

You wan't to play USC, Miami and Michigan?

smootness
04-28-2014, 10:36 PM
Why would we ever be concerned with our RPI in football? Do they even bother calculating it? This would not be a good idea.

Quaoarsking
04-28-2014, 10:40 PM
If we think we're going to be a legitimate SEC contender in 2016, it's something to think about. But if not, no, it's a bad idea.

Dawg61
04-28-2014, 10:45 PM
Ohio State wouldn't schedule us anyways. Talk about a stupid idea for MSU it's even worse of an idea for them. Nice troll job if that's what your intentions were. Haha

BulldogBear
04-28-2014, 11:05 PM
Ohio State wouldn't schedule us anyways. Talk about a stupid idea for MSU it's even worse of an idea for them. Nice troll job if that's what your intentions were. Haha

They might schedule us....in Columbus. They would never come to Starkville in my opinion. This is a can of worms I hope we haven't opened with this new scheduling ruleset. I don't like that our conference has put it's members in a position where other schools have power over us because we need the game more than them. I could see a lot of road trips in the future trying to fulfill this rule.

PassInterference
04-28-2014, 11:14 PM
They might schedule us....in Columbus. They would never come to Starkville in my opinion. This is a can of worms I hope we haven't opened with this new scheduling ruleset. I don't like that our conference has put it's members in a position where other schools have power over us because we need the game more than them. I could see a lot of road trips in the future trying to fulfill this rule.

No way this isn't a mutually agreed upon thing between the conferences. It is also a show of power, taking games away from the little conferences that the Big 5 conferences want to separate from.

This puts the SEC at no disadvantage. The OSU's of the world hold no leverage on MSU because our commishes all agreed to make this happen.

BulldogBear
04-28-2014, 11:20 PM
No way this isn't a mutually agreed upon thing between the conferences. It is also a show of power, taking games away from the little conferences that the Big 5 conferences want to separate from.

This puts the SEC at no disadvantage. The OSU's of the world hold no leverage on MSU because our commishes all agreed to make this happen.

I hope that it correct. I still think it could be a precursor to going to 9 conf games. This may become universal amongst Big Fivers.

Todd4State
04-29-2014, 12:13 AM

To me, on the surface this just looks like another dumb LT idea.

Todd4State
04-29-2014, 12:20 AM

Get ready to go to Tucson, Ames, and Chestnut Hill. I think after a bunch of SEC schools end up paying about 4-5 million to do a home and home with someone like Rutgers they will end up changing this idea. LT has basically sent the rest of the big five a message that they can take as much money from the SEC as they want.

You might see some more kickoff classics like what we did last year. Which was basically us and Oklahoma State playing in a half full NFL stadium.

HereComesTheSpiral
04-29-2014, 07:18 AM
Get ready to go to Tucson, Ames, and Chestnut Hill. I think after a bunch of SEC schools end up paying about 4-5 million to do a home and home with someone like Rutgers they will end up changing this idea. LT has basically sent the rest of the big five a message that they can take as much money from the SEC as they want.

You might see some more kickoff classics like what we did last year. Which was basically us and Oklahoma State playing in a half full NFL stadium.

I thought you didnt pay out for home and home series

BulldogBear
04-29-2014, 07:33 AM
I thought you didnt pay out for home and home series

Not generally but you can actually work out whatever contract you want to. It's a business deal. Because we have to have this game, it gives the other Big Fivers the ability to BS their way into deals that are not helpful to the SEC school such as:

(1) Road game only. Essentially the reverse of what we do with small schools. They'd pay us a cut to come play at their place. Why not, we're making their fans pay a premium to watch a game.

(2) 2 for 1 or even 3 for 1. One game in Starkville, 2-3 in Chestnut Hill. Can we say no?

(3) Deal like we have with USM. Sure, it's home and home but we will be putting the fans in their normally empty stadium. I don't know details but I am sure we are getting some kind of take from the Hattiesburg gate that they agreed to make the deal happen. Otherwise there's no reason for us to play them down there which is why we didn't play them for a quarter century.

HereComesTheSpiral
04-29-2014, 08:13 AM
Not generally but you can actually work out whatever contract you want to. It's a business deal. Because we have to have this game, it gives the other Big Fivers the ability to BS their way into deals that are not helpful to the SEC school such as:

(1) Road game only. Essentially the reverse of what we do with small schools. They'd pay us a cut to come play at their place. Why not, we're making their fans pay a premium to watch a game.

(2) 2 for 1 or even 3 for 1. One game in Starkville, 2-3 in Chestnut Hill. Can we say no?

(3) Deal like we have with USM. Sure, it's home and home but we will be putting the fans in their normally empty stadium. I don't know details but I am sure we are getting some kind of take from the Hattiesburg gate that they agreed to make the deal happen. Otherwise there's no reason for us to play them down there which is why we didn't play them for a quarter century.

Thanks for the explanation

smootness
04-29-2014, 08:23 AM

Were this to happen, the SEC ADs would unanimously vote to remove the OOC opponent requirement.

We're also ignoring the fact that some of these schools may want an SEC opponent, especially one seen by many as a lesser SEC program. It may have been that we didn't want to schedule these games in the past, and we now may be able to say, 'Here's what School A is offering, what are you offering?'

rabbitthedawg
04-29-2014, 08:40 AM
Why not...playing Ohio State is no different than playing LSU, Auburn, Alabama, etc. Look what Clemson did to them in the Orange Bowl! Love a home and home with them!! Can you imagine those Yankees tailgating in the Junction and hearing 50000 cowbells. Think of the hype!

coastratdog
04-29-2014, 08:45 AM
remember kicking texas' ass Jackie's first year? We got instant credibility by playing that game. We should go out and do the same.

Outside Dawg
04-29-2014, 08:47 AM
Bonner has an article outlining some possibilities for 2016.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2014/04/29/bonner-msu-small-windwo-add-marquee-game/8445419/

scottycameron
04-29-2014, 08:52 AM
remember kicking texas' ass Jackie's first year? We got instant credibility by playing that game. We should go out and do the same.

Sure, it would be great, but no way Ohio St. would schedule us. There needs to be mutual interest, not just from one side. If you could schedule whoever you wanted we'd schedule Ohio St, Notre Dame, USC, and Texas every year. It doesn't work like that.

codeDawg
04-29-2014, 08:54 AM
Why not...playing Ohio State is no different than playing LSU, Auburn, Alabama, etc. Look what Clemson did to them in the Orange Bowl! Love a home and home with them!! Can you imagine those Yankees tailgating in the Junction and hearing 50000 cowbells. Think of the hype!

Yup. It is no different except that loss may be the one that keeps us out of a higher bowl, or a bowl all together. Winning that game is "fun" but does not elivate our bowl status at all. High risk, low reward.

BulldogBear
04-29-2014, 09:32 AM
Bonner has an article outlining some possibilities for 2016.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2014/04/29/bonner-msu-small-windwo-add-marquee-game/8445419/

Still too early?

#mediafail

dickiedawg
04-29-2014, 09:40 AM
Sure, it would be great, but no way Ohio St. would schedule us. There needs to be mutual interest, not just from one side. If you could schedule whoever you wanted we'd schedule Ohio St, Notre Dame, USC, and Texas every year. It doesn't work like that.

Uh, no we wouldn't.

Political Hack
04-29-2014, 09:50 AM
unless oure playing for a BCS playoff spot, it's stupid to schedule these kickoff games and risk a bowl birth for a little exposure. last year's kick off game cost us our QB, an OL, and our only returning starter at DB. And it damn near cost us a bowl game.

thunderclap
04-29-2014, 10:08 AM
I wish somebody would hide LT.

Political Hack
04-29-2014, 10:26 AM
I wish somebody would hide LT.

hahaha. People have no clue how much it's going to help when he retires. Not only in the SEC office, but for those he's protecting in Starkville still. When the foot comes off the throat, I really don't think there's a limit to what Dan Mullen can accomplish at State. Should be fun to watch from afar...

thunderclap
04-29-2014, 10:58 AM
hahaha. People have no clue how much it's going to help when he retires. Not only in the SEC office, but for those he's protecting in Starkville still. When the foot comes off the throat, I really don't think there's a limit to what Dan Mullen can accomplish at State. Should be fun to watch from afar...

I guarandamntee you he'll be one of those sumbitches who works until he's about 96.

drunkernhelldawg
04-29-2014, 11:24 AM

It would be an absolute coup for us to get a home and home with Ohio State. That would elevate our program way the hell more than a 6-6 record. It'd be a hundred times better for our program than playing USM, which is still a head scratcher to me. The only reason I can think of that we agreed to resume playing USM is that somebody needs to make some politician happy. It sure as hell ain't doing us any good.

But playing The Ohio State University, that's something that'd be worth doing.

Going 6-6 again? Not all that great imo.

sandwolf
04-29-2014, 11:36 AM

Wait, what? We absolutely would not do that. Hell, Alabama wouldn't do that.

FISHDAWG
04-29-2014, 11:44 AM
it's not like Ohio St. has a very good record against the SEC anyway

smootness
04-29-2014, 11:58 AM
It would be an absolute coup for us to get a home and home with Ohio State. That would elevate our program way the hell more than a 6-6 record. It'd be a hundred times better for our program than playing USM, which is still a head scratcher to me.

I disagree, unless they were ranked high and we beat them. Do you think it would be a huge coup for Kentucky to play Ohio State? I don't, I think the majority of the country wouldn't care about that game.

drunkernhelldawg
04-29-2014, 12:34 PM
I disagree, unless they were ranked high and we beat them. Do you think it would be a huge coup for Kentucky to play Ohio State? I don't, I think the majority of the country wouldn't care about that game.

I'd like to think we're at a higher level than Kentucky. We also have a relationship with OSU in that we absolutely waxed their number one rival a few years ago. Kentucky has not performed a comparable feat. Every year we play LSU, Alabama, etc. Many times we have a chance to win these games. Sometimes we do win. If not playing tough games is just a way to protect a 6-6 record, then I say screw that. 6-6 year after year is no better than running in place for us. That's why I think that scheduling better, more interesting games is a winner for us.
And what are your thoughts on the USM game? What are we getting out of that? Why are we doing it?

sandwolf
04-29-2014, 12:59 PM
I'd like to think we're at a higher level than Kentucky. We also have a relationship with OSU in that we absolutely waxed their number one rival a few years ago. Kentucky has not performed a comparable feat. Every year we play LSU, Alabama, etc. Many times we have a chance to win these games. Sometimes we do win. If not playing tough games is just a way to protect a 6-6 record, then I say screw that. 6-6 year after year is no better than running in place for us. That's why I think that scheduling better, more interesting games is a winner for us.
And what are your thoughts on the USM game? What are we getting out of that? Why are we doing it?

I won't disagree that 6-6 is running in place for us, but I would argue that 5-7 or 4-8 is taking a step in the wrong direction. Not only does a losing record make it much harder to sell the program to recruits, but you also lose out on that extra month of practice time. Not to mention the fact that we already have multiple opportunities to knock off elite teams every year.......so I just don't see what is gained by adding another power to the schedule.

codeDawg
04-29-2014, 01:09 PM
It would be an absolute coup for us to get a home and home with Ohio State. That would elevate our program way the hell more than a 6-6 record. It'd be a hundred times better for our program than playing USM, which is still a head scratcher to me. The only reason I can think of that we agreed to resume playing USM is that somebody needs to make some politician happy. It sure as hell ain't doing us any good.

But playing The Ohio State University, that's something that'd be worth doing.

Going 6-6 again? Not all that great imo.

The most likely outcome if playing tOSU is a loss. There is a chance we could win in a very good year, but we likely lose.

A win against USM > a loss against tOSU