PDA

View Full Version : Monday Storm/Tornado Thread

DownwardDawg
04-28-2014, 12:51 PM
I thought it might be a good idea to have a seperate thread today. If not, feel free to delete or move.

There is a TorCon value of 8 for Jackson, MS and Huntsville, AL until 11:00 PM. We need Ref and some others to chime in and keep us updated.

GrooGruxDawg
04-28-2014, 01:17 PM
I thought it might be a good idea to have a seperate thread today. If not, feel free to delete or move.

There is a TorCon value of 8 for Jackson, MS and Huntsville, AL until 11:00 PM. We need Ref and some others to chime in and keep us updated.

I'm unfamiliar with TorCon. Starkville seems to be right in the middle of the "level 8" areas. Can someone explain how they determine this rating in relatively simple terms? I know a couple of you meteorology guys are chasers, what's the storm chasing potential for today?

DownwardDawg
04-28-2014, 01:24 PM
I'm unfamiliar with TorCon. Starkville seems to be right in the middle of the "level 8" areas. Can someone explain how they determine this rating in relatively simple terms? I know a couple of you meteorology guys are chasers, what's the storm chasing potential for today?

I think that basically an 8 means that there is an 80% chance of a tornado in this area. I have no idea how they come up with this. Ref and some others can explain it. It's pretty complex. All I know is that an 8 is pretty damn high chance!

notsofarawaydawg
04-28-2014, 01:30 PM
TOR:CON Link (http://www.weather.com/news/weather-tornado/tornado-torcon-index)

Political Hack
04-28-2014, 01:34 PM
8+ Very high probability of a tornado
6 - High probability of a tornado
4 - Moderate chance of a tornado nearby, but hail and/or high wind gusts possible
2 - Low chance of a tornado, but hail and/or high wind gusts possible
0 - Near-zero chance of a tornado or a severe thunderstorm

poposay
04-28-2014, 01:57 PM
That means 80% chance of a tornado within 50 miles of that area.

DownwardDawg
04-28-2014, 02:03 PM
The radar is starting to look pretty menacing around north central Mississippi.

DawgSaint
04-28-2014, 02:14 PM
Radar not looking good at all for you guys in the northern part of Our State...Stay Safe!

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-28-2014, 02:18 PM
Looks like Yazoo City is about to get hit hard again. Here's the website to watch live streams of tornado chasers: http://tvnweather.com/live

biscuit
04-28-2014, 02:32 PM
Nothing here in Tate.....yet

mjh94
04-28-2014, 02:43 PM
Action News 5 out of Memphis has a good interactive radar that shows all kinds of layers including active warnings.. expand the layer box on the right side:

http://www.wmctv.com/link/311354/you-track-storms-interactive-radar
(http://www.wmctv.com/link/311354/you-track-storms-interactive-radar)

Will James
04-28-2014, 02:53 PM
Hearing a tornado is down in Tupelo

Will James
04-28-2014, 02:56 PM
If you are NE of downtown Tupelo get somewhere quick. TWC saying its near the mall currently.

dickiedawg
04-28-2014, 02:56 PM
MSU campus is closed as of 3:00.

PassInterference
04-28-2014, 03:19 PM
Looks like every big storm that has tracked across Our State has dropped a tube.

I noticed earlier today the risk area got moved northward with Jackson being on the bottom edge. Sure enough Jackson has gotten away free so far while north Madison Co had a tornado warning. But stuff out in Louisiana may be more tracked for Jackson later tonight.

Scott Sams from WAPT was live on a bridge showing the wall cloud, and later the hail, in Yazoo City. His 300+ lb physique in comparison to Jim "the bodybuilder" Cantore reminded me of Mississppi's obesiety image.

Yazoo City's storm looked impressive on radar. Initial damage reports aren't real bad. At least not widespread devastation type stuff.

Tupelo may have gotten pounded.

PassInterference
04-28-2014, 03:39 PM
Tupelo has been Tuscaloosa'd.

DawgSaint
04-28-2014, 03:50 PM
Please don't take any chances with these storms! Tupelo hit very hard and unfortunately does not look like will be the last city/community in Mississippi to be hit.

DownwardDawg
04-28-2014, 03:52 PM
I'm hearing Jackson has a Tor Con value of 9 now and Hattiesburg a 6.

DawgSaint
04-28-2014, 03:56 PM
I'm hearing Jackson has a Tor Con value of 9 now and Hattiesburg a 6.

Wow! Not Good

PassInterference
04-28-2014, 03:59 PM
Monster supercell and probably a big tornado between Carthage and Kosciusko just north of 25 heading towards 19.

EDIT - wedge tornado spotted

MadisonDawg
04-28-2014, 04:07 PM
Anyone know anything about the tornado being reported in winston co.?

DawgSaint
04-28-2014, 04:22 PM

All reports coming in say significant damage in the area.

HereComesTheSpiral
04-28-2014, 04:25 PM
Outback steakhouse, vanellis, steak escape, and two hotels are leveled in tupelo.

DawgSaint
04-28-2014, 04:27 PM
Outback steakhouse, vanellis, steak escape, and two hotels are leveled in tupelo.

Thanks for the update

PassInterference
04-28-2014, 04:28 PM

MSU chasers report 3/4 mile wide tornado. Looks like it will go half way between L'ville and Noxpater.

PassInterference
04-28-2014, 04:30 PM
And a big debris ball an radar.

HereComesTheSpiral
04-28-2014, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the update

Google wreg out of memphis, they have an up to date list of everything thats been leveled

PassInterference
04-28-2014, 04:33 PM
Looks like it might be turning north to clip the south side of Louisville.

MadisonDawg
04-28-2014, 04:35 PM
How concerned should I be if I'm in starkville?

PassInterference
04-28-2014, 04:37 PM
Tupelo wedge tornado video

http://youtu.be/KnZswj6NXrw

PassInterference
04-28-2014, 04:38 PM

I think the immediate threat is over. But more waves are coming.

PassInterference
04-28-2014, 04:39 PM
Yeah.. That debris ball is right over Louisville. I think Louisville just took a significant hit.

PassInterference
04-28-2014, 04:42 PM

I'd be a little concerned if the Louisville tornado takes another turn northward.

DawgSaint
04-28-2014, 04:44 PM
I'd be a little concerned if the Louisville tornado takes another turn northward.

Im certainly no meteorologist, but it appears to me that is happening. Don't let guard down if in Starkville area.

PassInterference
04-28-2014, 04:46 PM
New tornado SW of Louisville headed to the north side of town. This one will get closer to Starkville if it persists... Which is likely.

notsofarawaydawg
04-28-2014, 05:15 PM
Debri is falling in Lowndes County out near the airport and industrial park. Also debri falling in east Columbus area near regional jail and sheriff's department. Shingles and pine bark are the debri.

DawgSaint
04-28-2014, 05:19 PM
Debris now falling on campus

PassInterference
04-28-2014, 05:25 PM
Starkville looks clear. Tornado is due south. It's not going to turn straight up.

Of course shit falling from the sky is not real safe.

PassInterference
04-28-2014, 05:27 PM
Now Madison & Ridgeland are under a tornado warning. Strong tornado north of Clinton heading that way.

DawgSaint
04-28-2014, 05:44 PM
Now reporting Jack Cristil's home in Tupelo has been heavily damaged, but thankfully Jack is ok.

Will James
04-28-2014, 05:48 PM
TWC showing twister "Near Starkville"

Where is that gonna be, Brooksville?

DawgSaint
04-28-2014, 05:50 PM
TWC showing twister "Near Starkville"

Where is that gonna be, Brooksville?

Just passed through Crawford heading towards Columbus within minutes

DawgSaint
04-28-2014, 05:51 PM
Starkville has been spared the worst for now. Hopefully, it stays that way!

PassInterference
04-28-2014, 05:56 PM
Jackson, Brandon and area about to get hit with a new storm picking up rotation.

scottycameron
04-28-2014, 05:59 PM
Now reporting Jack Cristil's home in Tupelo has been heavily damaged, but thankfully Jack is ok.

Do you know what street - neighborhood he lives on-in?

PassInterference
04-28-2014, 05:59 PM
Louisville looking for medical help after hospital was damaged.

HereComesTheSpiral
04-28-2014, 06:01 PM
Do you know what street - neighborhood he lives on-in?

He lives off of lampkin st, dont know which neighborhood

DownwardDawg
04-28-2014, 06:06 PM
I'm watching live feed from Brett Adair's car. He's all over it!!!

HereComesTheSpiral
04-28-2014, 06:19 PM
Louisville looking for medical help after hospital was damaged.

OCH is in for a long night

Todd4State
04-28-2014, 06:35 PM

We'll get some of them at UMC I'm sure.

DawgSaint
04-28-2014, 06:47 PM
Those in South Mississippi could be in for a long night. Storms expected to begin forming soon over southwestern part of state.

DownwardDawg
04-28-2014, 06:50 PM
Those in South Mississippi could be in for a long night. Storms expected to begin forming soon over southwestern part of state.

Shit

DawgSaint
04-28-2014, 06:53 PM
Shit

Not certain will happen....time frame given is between 8PM-4AM

TheRef
04-28-2014, 07:03 PM
Hey guys, I just got back from chasing. Sorry for being out of touch for so long.

We tracked the storm that went just north of Carthage. The damage from that storm when it crossed 25 is pretty bad...trees snapped and roofs ripped off of houses. Semis flipped. We traveled further up 25 and saw the Louisville tornado form....it didn't look pretty...hospital took a direct hit and cars were flipped all over the East side of town. Debris from this storm was hurled to Columbus, Starkville, etc. This thing was bad....Governor Bryant has already said this is the most active tornado day in recorded Mississippi history. I'm not sure about that but I wouldn't put it past today. It's still going. Stay weather aware and I am back on radar and will be doing live stuff now.

Once again, sorry for not manning the board today.

TheRef
04-28-2014, 07:04 PM
Those of you in Pelahatchie, Morton, and Forest need to take cover now. There is a tornado headed right your way and it is paralleling I-20.

hailmari
04-28-2014, 07:11 PM

Yeah, I saw some preparations being made when I clocked out earlier. I feel real bad for Louisville's hospital, though.

PassInterference
04-28-2014, 07:14 PM
PI has emerged from the closet unscathed. That was close!

DawgSaint
04-28-2014, 07:16 PM
PI has emerged from the closet unscathed. That was close!

Glad you guys are ok!

DawgSaint
04-28-2014, 07:17 PM
Those of you in Pelahatchie, Morton, and Forest need to take cover now. There is a tornado headed right your way and it is paralleling I-20.

You think storms will be as severe overnight in South Mississippi?

TheRef
04-28-2014, 07:20 PM
You think storms will be as severe overnight in South Mississippi?

I'm not putting it past this system. Just have a good source of weather information nearby. The only place I'm comfortable saying that you're safe for tonight is North MS. I'm not putting anything past South MS right now and this system. Please just stay weather aware right now and have a reliable source of info.

DownwardDawg
04-28-2014, 07:23 PM
I'm not putting it past this system. Just have a good source of weather information nearby. The only place I'm comfortable saying that you're safe for tonight is North MS. I'm not putting anything past South MS right now and this system. Please just stay weather aware right now and have a reliable source of info.

What's a reliable source? I'm gone while my wife and family are at home in Lamar county. They got blankets, pillows, helmets(lol) in the most interior closet. They are watching weather channel and streaming WDAM online and getting all my texts and emails. They are all signed up for the severe weather text alerts on their cell phones. I'm just looking at the radar and watching the storm chasers. I feel helpless.

Coach34
04-28-2014, 07:25 PM
How in the hell has Shreveport missed all this? We had a little storm this morning about 4am...and that was it

TheRef
04-28-2014, 07:26 PM
What's a reliable source? I'm gone while my wife and family are at home in Lamar county. They got blankets, pillows, helmets(lol) in the most interior closet. They are watching weather channel and streaming WDAM online and getting all my texts and emails. I'm just looking at the radar and watching the storm chasers. I feel helpless.

I'd rather watch the local news than the Weather channel for a severe weather event...Weather channel cannot provide a steady enough coverage of one storm that your local station can. I know you like seeing the pretty graphics, but TWC can't give you the best severe weather coverage.

Honestly, all you can do is hope and pray right now. Just hope that your family is in their safe place and just hang on. We can't stop these things. We can just try not to be in the way. Helmets are amazing for tornadoes. I actually recommend that, as silly as it may sound/look, everyone have on at least a bike helmet if not a football helmet (for you ex-players out there). Just something to protect your head in case you do get hit.

TheRef
04-28-2014, 07:34 PM
Worst part about today, it's not over....most of SE Mississippi and almost all of Western AL are under a moderate risk tomorrow by SPC. This is three days of absolute hell....

shoeless joe
04-28-2014, 07:37 PM
Hey ref, are we lookin at a whole nother round tomorrow? I may have misunderstood your last post but were you saying the golden triangle area is good just for tonite? My understanding was that we could do this all over again tomorrow...hopefully I'm wrong. Thanks for any info

TheRef
04-28-2014, 07:40 PM
Hey ref, are we lookin at a whole nother round tomorrow? I may have misunderstood your last post but were you saying the golden triangle area is good just for tonite? My understanding was that we could do this all over again tomorrow...hopefully I'm wrong. Thanks for any info

Here's the outlines:

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day2otlk_1730.gif

DawgSaint
04-28-2014, 07:42 PM
Hopefully tomorrow can't be any worse than today! Thanks for your willingness to share your expertise.

TheRef
04-28-2014, 07:44 PM
Hopefully tomorrow can't be any worse than today! Thanks for your willingness to share your expertise.

It's what I'm here for, Saint. I try to help y'all as much as possible.

Bucky Dog
04-28-2014, 07:44 PM
In Alexandria, LA and had a terrible cell come through here about an hour ago. You could tell if it picks up more energy it will be bad. Clouds rolling and diving down, just didn't have the rotation ability. Probably on the track for south central MS if it stays together. Lightning everywhere and buckets of rain.

PassInterference
04-28-2014, 07:46 PM
Here it was black as night around 6pm when it should have been good daylight.

TheRef
04-28-2014, 07:47 PM
Here it was black as night around 6pm when it should have been good daylight.

Crazy what storms can do...

jbjones
04-28-2014, 07:52 PM
Actually saw a break in the clouds, and a smidge of sunlight toward the West about 20 minutes ago. Good grief, what an afternoon here in Starkville/Columbus. Hope all are well.

Saltydog
04-28-2014, 08:05 PM
a long time.....I was caught on 45 for almost two hours..........The shopping areas just south of the Tupelo Barnes Crossing Mall were hit hard.....Steak Escape, Vanelli's and Outback Steak are gone.......So far, only one fatality has been reported but there are a ton of injuries......Areas between West Jackson Street and McCullough Boulevard were hit hard..........

TheRef
04-28-2014, 08:14 PM
NWS Memphis, TN has said that the Tupelo, MS tornado is at least EF-2 damage from photos. Won't know more until they get boots on the ground tomorrow do a full survey of damage. I'd follow @NWSMemphis and @NWSJacksonMS for updates on the storm reports. They are good about posting the reports on Twitter.

TheRef
04-28-2014, 08:22 PM
Brandon, MS has issued a curfew for ALL residents. Please stay inside and not get in the way of emergency personnel.

DawgSaint
04-28-2014, 08:26 PM
Copied from Twitter: @DavidCBreland: HIGH risk of tornadoes, large hail, & damaging winds beginning at 8pm until 2 am for Lamar & Forrest Counties. EXTREME risk for Jones Co

notsofarawaydawg
04-28-2014, 08:28 PM
In Lowndes County most of the damage is southwest of Columbus around Artesia/Brooksville and then an area east of Gardner Blvd and Hiway 69 south easterly towards the Alabama line. Lots of trees and power lines down from Steens all the way into the New Hope community. Seems to be damage from two different tornadoes.

TheRef
04-28-2014, 08:29 PM
This thing is not going to stop....this is why I didn't want to rule out South MS....

HereComesTheSpiral
04-28-2014, 08:45 PM
a long time.....I was caught on 45 for almost two hours..........The shopping areas just south of the Tupelo Barnes Crossing Mall were hit hard.....Steak Escape, Vanelli's and Outback Steak are gone.......So far, only one fatality has been reported but there are a ton of injuries......Areas between West Jackson Street and McCullough Boulevard were hit hard..........

Pretty amazing there is only one fatality, that area is pretty highly populated and busy as hell that time of day

DownwardDawg
04-28-2014, 09:06 PM
It appears that the bad stuff will be north of Lamar county.

BulldogBear
04-28-2014, 09:10 PM
Spent a cold 20 minutes in shorts and a tee inside the cooler at Dogwood Kroger in Flowood during all this! I pray everybody's okay. Hear Yazoo got hit bad.

dogshiek
04-28-2014, 09:16 PM
Happily sitting in the dark safely with my daughter. What a day.

DawgSaint
04-28-2014, 09:20 PM
Radar indicating strong storm moving into Jones County with large hail and possibility of 70 mph straight line winds. All you Dawgs in the Laurel area take cover!

PassInterference
04-28-2014, 09:29 PM
If there is a bright side to this, Carter Jewlers is gonna have one hell of a storm sale.

JDog13
04-28-2014, 09:57 PM
If there is a bright side to this, Carter Jewlers is gonna have one hell of a storm sale.

They haven't had one this year have they?

DawgSaint
04-28-2014, 10:10 PM
Tornado damage confirmed in northern Jones county

LC Dawg
04-28-2014, 10:11 PM
My daughter's a student at State and she called me tonight and said she and her friends would like to help some of the areas around them that were hit. I told her not to go to the areas unless she talked to an authority and all I could think to tell her was to go through MEMA. I want them to be able to help but I don't want them to endanger themselves or to be in the way. Any suggestions on how they should approach this?

TheRef
04-28-2014, 10:16 PM
My daughter's a student at State and she called me tonight and said she and her friends would like to help some of the areas around them that were hit. I told her not to go to the areas unless she talked to an authority and all I could think to tell her was to go through MEMA. I want them to be able to help but I don't want them to endanger themselves or to be in the way. Any suggestions on how they should approach this?

Strangebrew, 929 coffee, LA Green Boutique, and others are collecting supplies to help those who have been hit. They will be taking daily trips down to those in need to give them supplies. Basic needs are wanted. Food, clothes, water, towels, etc.

TheRef
04-28-2014, 10:16 PM
Also, have them contact Red Cross and other organizations like that....it's not good for them to go independent on this as far as going down there.

TheRef
04-28-2014, 10:23 PM
Tornado EMERGENCY just south of Tuscaloosa....I'm not liking these past two days...Please Tuesday be a LOT more calm...please...for me.

LC Dawg
04-28-2014, 10:28 PM
Also, have them contact Red Cross and other organizations like that....it's not good for them to go independent on this as far as going down there.
That's what I thought. Thanks for the info and for all your updates. In addition to the daughter in Starkville I've got a lot of family in Louisville. They're all ok but it's been a stressful day.

DawgSaint
04-28-2014, 10:31 PM
Reports of numerous trees down in northern Jones county around Sandersville area. Also reports of heavy damage to homes in area. Will this day ever end?

TheRef
04-28-2014, 10:31 PM
That's what I thought. Thanks for the info and for all your updates. In addition to the daughter in Starkville I've got a lot of family in Louisville. They're all ok but it's been a stressful day.

I know...it was stressful just watching it and not being able to do anything. When we were on the side of the road watching this monster go through, we tried to stop people from driving in front...some listened, others didn't.

TheRef
04-28-2014, 10:33 PM
Reports of numerous trees down in northern Jones county around Sandersville area. Also reports of heavy damage to homes in area. Will this day ever end?

I hope...we need a break from this thing.

PassInterference
04-28-2014, 10:50 PM
What is a "Tornado Emergency"?

Why in the world do people drive into clearly visible tornados?

TheRef
04-28-2014, 10:53 PM
What is a "Tornado Emergency"?

Why in the world do people drive into clearly visible tornados?

Tornado Emergency is generally saved for only the most dire of circumstances. Such as a confirmed large and very dangerous tornado headed straight towards a highly-populated area. This is only used for the most dangerous situations. Right now, if this storm still produces a tornado, it looks like it could track right through downtown Birmingham....please pray that this doesn't happen. I think this may just be one of the worst natural disaster events that we will see for a while, gentlemen. Yesterday, today, and potentially tomorrow will test the will power of the Southern US. This is where we separate the proverbial men from the boys.

PassInterference
04-28-2014, 11:06 PM
That outbreak a few years ago that destroyed Smithville and hit Tuscaloosa was pretty damn bad. It did more damage to the power grid than hurricane Katrina.

Today might be worse as widespread as this has been.

DawgSaint
04-28-2014, 11:14 PM
That outbreak a few years ago that destroyed Smithville and hit Tuscaloosa was pretty damn bad. It did more damage to the power grid than hurricane Katrina.

Today might be worse as widespread as this has been.

This day will be remembered for a long, long time

PassInterference
04-28-2014, 11:36 PM
Looks to me that the tornadic storm going into Bham got split into two smaller rotating storms that are a lot weaker than what it was before.

PassInterference
04-29-2014, 12:59 AM
Reports of heavy damage a half block from Brandon High School's football field. Their stadium may have taken a hit.

BulldogBear
04-29-2014, 06:58 AM
Reports of heavy damage a half block from Brandon High School's football field. Their stadium may have taken a hit.

I know they're not having school today and I heard something about the police in Brandon having to enforce a curfew last night due to looting. The latter may not be true.

DownwardDawg
04-29-2014, 07:05 AM
Looks like my family made out well. Thank God! I'm glued to the computer again today for updates.

DownwardDawg
04-29-2014, 07:30 AM
Should we start a seperate thread for today or just keep this one rolling? What do ya'll think?

DLGDawg
04-29-2014, 07:57 AM
Let's start a Tuesday thread with the first post giving today's forecast.
That's if the weather guys have time. I know they are incredibly busy.
Me personally, I really appreciate the updates guys.

DownwardDawg
04-29-2014, 08:26 AM
Let's start a Tuesday thread with the first post giving today's forecast.
That's if the weather guys have time. I know they are incredibly busy.
Me personally, I really appreciate the updates guys.

Me too. Maybe Ref can start the thread for us.

DownwardDawg
04-29-2014, 08:27 AM
Ref is a student. He's probably still asleep! Lol

DawgSaint
04-29-2014, 08:52 AM
Don't let your guard down today!

https://twitter.com/USTornadoes/status/461127286398263296/photo/1

TheRef
04-29-2014, 09:36 AM
One quick note about yesterday, University of Alabama officials have confirmed the death of a 21-year old Alabama swimmer in yesterday's storms.

TheRef
04-29-2014, 10:21 AM
To finish it out, here is your SPC Filtered Storm Reports map for yesterday's event. Now take notice of the tornado REPORTS number. That's not necessarily the number of tornadoes, just the reports associated with tornadoes.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/reports/yesterday_filtered.gif

ScoobaDawg
04-29-2014, 06:36 PM
Way too close of a call last night for my dad, the tornado in south tuscaloosa was about 150 feet from his house and subdivison he found out when he went out to check the roads this morning for the tuscaloosa city schools.
Sad to hear about the 21 year old swimmer but he saved his gf's life.