PDA

View Full Version : SEC Baseball Champs...

MsStateBaseball
04-27-2014, 05:15 PM
Looks like another year not winning the sec championship. Last one was 1989. That is so disappointing. Going to Omaha is nice but a conference championship would be a lot better. We are a laughing stock in some quarters BC of it. Same as going to bowl game and never beating Alabama, LSU, etc. I hope Florida wins it and not om or LSU.

MarketingBully01
04-27-2014, 05:50 PM
I didn't realize we were mathematically eliminated with nine games to go. Last I looked we were still in it.

DownwardDawg
04-27-2014, 05:53 PM
I would rather go to Omaha than win the SEC any day.

Coach34
04-27-2014, 06:01 PM
Going to Omaha is nice but a conference championship would be a lot better.

No...no it wouldnt

Omaha > SEC season title

A conference title is a great accomplishment- but you play the game to get to Omaha every year.

TUSK
04-27-2014, 06:02 PM
bammer can win it, I think...

Or does their remaining schedule make it unlikely?

TUSK
04-27-2014, 06:09 PM
No...no it wouldnt

Omaha > SEC season title

A conference title is a great accomplishment- but you play the game to get to Omaha every year.

I agree, Coach, one shouldn't have to win their conference to play for it all.

Homedawg
04-27-2014, 06:15 PM
Looks like another year not winning the sec championship. Last one was 1989. That is so disappointing. Going to Omaha is nice but a conference championship would be a lot better. We are a laughing stock in some quarters BC of it. Same as going to bowl game and never beating Alabama, LSU, etc. I hope Florida wins it and not om or LSU.
You would rather win the league than go to Omaha? Wow. You lost me there. No way. I won't to win the league, but Omaha is way more important.

Todd4State
04-27-2014, 06:22 PM
I would take a National Championship and Omaha any and everyday over the SEC Championship.

SEC Championship is nice but....

People can laugh at us while we're in Omaha all they want as far as I am concerned.

RossDawg82
04-27-2014, 08:43 PM
I would like to know what quarters the the reigning runner ups are the laughing stock. That could be the dumbest thing I have ever heard

The Croom Diaries
04-27-2014, 08:54 PM
The goal at the beginning of the year is to win the SEC because of the position it puts you in for a run to Omaha.

If you ask a Vandy fan if they would have rather had our 16-14 year as national runner up or their 26-3 year but losing in the Supers I bet 99 out of 100 would have said national runner up.

The entire season is all about building for the postseason. Constantly molding the team until we are our best come June.

Harrydawg
04-27-2014, 08:57 PM
Going to Omaha is nice but a conference championship would be a lot better

This is one of the stupidest statements I've ever heard.......

RossDawg82
04-27-2014, 09:05 PM
I wonder what Bama thinks. NC's are nice but I sure would rather win in atlanta

MsStateBaseball
04-27-2014, 09:10 PM
Of course, many of you disagree but I am a huge fan, I don't like losing in baseball period. I want to win a championship!

War Machine Dawg
04-27-2014, 09:37 PM
MsStateBaseball has gone full retard lately. Makes me wonder if he died and someone else has started posting for him. Omaha > SEC Regular Season Champs, period. That said, it sucks we haven't really competed for the Overall SEC Championship for so long, and we need to get to the point where we're competing for it. But there's no way in hell I'd rather be SEC Champs & miss Omaha than finish middle of the SEC and make Omaha. Omaha. Every. Single. Time.

M.Fillmore
04-27-2014, 09:47 PM
Ask the 1989 team if they would trade the SEC title for a trip to Omaha. The 1989 loss to North Carolina was the most painful baseball memory I have.

State82
04-27-2014, 10:25 PM
If we could get to Omaha with a regular season record of 28-28 overall, then get hot at the end I would take it every time. Omaha is the mecca of college baseball. Always has and always will be. Nothing, and I mean nothing, comes close to that. I wouldn't trade Omaha for a 50-6 regular season and then flame out in the regional. No way.

WeWonItAll(Most)
04-27-2014, 10:44 PM
I would like to know what quarters the the reigning runner ups are the laughing stock. That could be the dumbest thing I have ever heard
The quarters of wannabe-official SEC baseball team bloggers...

Dawg61
04-27-2014, 10:46 PM
Omaha is everything. This thread is stupid.

trob115
04-27-2014, 10:48 PM
Omaha > Conference championship every time.

Msstate had gone full tard. Someone make him change his username too.

TaleofTwoDogs
04-27-2014, 11:26 PM
Hey guys, why do we always have to have alternatives, door 1 or door 2. Hell, why can't we have both Omaha and the SEC title. If you win the SEC title it's pretty much an automatic ticket to the regionals so this thread is pointless.

War Machine Dawg
04-27-2014, 11:32 PM
Hey guys, why do we always have to have alternatives, door 1 or door 2. Hell, why can't we have both Omaha and the SEC title. If you win the SEC title it's pretty much an automatic ticket to the regionals so this thread is pointless.

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae73/MSUDawgBurke/DoubleFacepalm1_zps062726fe.jpg (http://s959.photobucket.com/user/MSUDawgBurke/media/DoubleFacepalm1_zps062726fe.jpg.html)

LiterallyPolice
04-27-2014, 11:45 PM
I *kind of* understand where msstatebaseball is coming from. I won't say that, in general, SEC Champ > Omaha... But it is something that we should win from time to time.... and we haven't in a while. Omaha is the primary goal; but winning the SEC regular season is quite an accomplishment in its own right (and one that for whatever reason has been very elusive for us, making me want it even more).

HoopsDawg
04-28-2014, 12:22 AM
Looks like another year not winning the sec championship. Last one was 1989. That is so disappointing. Going to Omaha is nice but a conference championship would be a lot better. We are a laughing stock in some quarters BC of it. .

Disturbing post. Couldn't disagree more.

smootness
04-28-2014, 07:18 AM
Same as going to bowl game and never beating Alabama, LSU, etc.

No. It's the same as going to the BCS national title game, or now the 4-team playoff, without winning the SEC. Or the same as going to the Final 4 or Elite 8 without winning the SEC. In other words, winning the SEC would be great but it definitely doesn't trump that.

And we are not a laughing stock to anyone in baseball. If we are, it says far more about that person's baseball knowledge than it does our current status.

DawgSaint
04-28-2014, 07:26 AM
No. It's the same as going to the BCS national title game, or now the 4-team playoff, without winning the SEC. Or the same as going to the Final 4 or Elite 8 without winning the SEC. In other words, winning the SEC would be great but it definitely doesn't trump that.

And we are not a laughing stock to anyone in baseball. If we are, it says far more about that person's baseball knowledge than it does our current status.

The above sums it all up! Couldn't agree more.... Next topic!

MsStateBaseball
04-28-2014, 08:09 AM
Anyway, I know there are varying opinions. And we are a laughing stock, you guys don't want to see it. When they list out the past champions and the year, you will see. I hope the champion banner will be on our stadium soon. National or SEC. If you are satisfied without winning a championship every year, I feel for you. If you are just satisfied with going to Omaha to soak in the atmosphere, poke your chest out, etc, then what are thinking? I would think most fans want a championship! Why do you want to keep saying, we went to Omaha in such and such year....

DawgSaint
04-28-2014, 08:21 AM
Anyway, I know there are varying opinions. And we are a laughing stock, you guys don't want to see it. When they list out the past champions and the year, you will see. I hope the champion banner will be on our stadium soon. National or SEC. If you are satisfied without winning a championship every year, I feel for you. If you are just satisfied with going to Omaha to soak in the atmosphere, poke your chest out, etc, then what are thinking? I would think most fans want a championship! Why do you want to keep saying, we went to Omaha in such and such year....

Nobody is content with not winning a championship! However, that does not in any way make us a "laughing stock." To say something like that is just absurd. Do you honestly think when anybody, around the SEC or the nation, thinks about Mississippi State baseball they say "what a joke of a program?"

chainedup_Dawg
04-28-2014, 08:24 AM

If you really think we are a laughing stock, that's fine. Like someone posted earlier, the people who are laughing don't know shit about baseball. You are basically saying that last year you would have traded an SEC Conference title for our trip to Omaha that got us in the NC game. I just can't fathom that. Do you think MLB teams would prefer to win their pennant and then get ousted in the first round of the playoffs or do think they'd rather come in as the Wild Card and make it to the League Championship Series/World Series? It really is a no brainer which is more important.

rtdawg
04-28-2014, 08:32 AM
The laughing stock comment is laughable....

smootness
04-28-2014, 09:01 AM
We are not even close to a laughing stock, that is absurd. We all want more; every single State fan wants more than we have gotten thus far this year. And no, I don't think anyone is content or 'satisfied' with winning 16 or 17 conference games. But it certainly is acceptable, meaning no one needs to be fired or anything, especially if you then get the postseason success on top of it.

We need to compete for the SEC title soon, I agree with you. Winning 20 SEC games should be an attainable goal moving forward, and if we don't ever reach that goal, that will be an issue. But you can still enjoy what we are right now, which is a very good program that has not been as good as we all thought we would be but is still very competitive and will be in the postseason with a chance to make a run.

We're still above .500 in the SEC this year. It's not the ultimate goal of where we want the program, but it sure isn't bad.

C222
04-28-2014, 09:01 AM
I've read it all now. My God. SEC is better than Omaha? We are a laughing stock? The only this about us that is a laughing stock is our fans.

trob115
04-28-2014, 10:29 AM
So the 97' & 03' Marlins and the 11' Cardinals are laughing stocks because they didn't win their divisions, yet went on to win the World Series............ right. Laughing stocks ****************

BulldogBear
04-28-2014, 11:44 AM
SEC is better than Omaha could be the talk in Oxford this year. They have a good chance to win but will probably won't find the road to Omaha as usual.

"The Road to Omaha goes through Oxford." #youshouldhaveboughtasquirrel

MsStateBaseball
04-28-2014, 01:19 PM
You guys don't get it. I didn't say everyone is laughing at us. A few are when we start talking about our legacy, etc. BTW, I was the first one on twitter talking about this, if you didn't know. I was taking the brunt of it when we were losing badly. I joined January 2009, before the school, before Jim Ellis, etc. I took it upon my self to talk baseball with these other baseball fan bases. It comes down to conf champs or natl champs. We have been one but it was 1989 and not a natl champ. I along with many want both.

RAYn_Man
04-28-2014, 01:51 PM
BTW, I was the first one on twitter talking about this, if you didn't know. I was taking the brunt of it when we were losing badly. I joined January 2009, before the school, before Jim Ellis, etc. I took it upon my self to talk baseball with these other baseball fan bases.

Congrats bro you want a trophy or something?

PMDawg
04-28-2014, 02:56 PM
You guys don't get it. I didn't say everyone is laughing at us. A few are when we start talking about our legacy, etc. BTW, I was the first one on twitter talking about this, if you didn't know. I was taking the brunt of it when we were losing badly. I joined January 2009, before the school, before Jim Ellis, etc. I took it upon my self to talk baseball with these other baseball fan bases. It comes down to conf champs or natl champs. We have been one but it was 1989 and not a natl champ. I along with many want both.

In other words we need a conference championship so the mean kids on twitter will stop making fun of you? Here's an idea, don't get into a dick measuring contest on twitter.

I seen it dawg
04-28-2014, 03:05 PM
I guess Fresno State was laughed at after they won the NC while sneaking into their conf tournament at 33-27...

Will James
04-28-2014, 03:17 PM
Of course the generic "Omaha" is better than a SEC Championship because "Omaha" means a chance at a National Championship.

But..

Would you rather have a year like Vanderbilt last year, dominating the SEC all year, and falling short of Omaha

or

a 2007 MSU type year where you make Omaha but go two and out.

So you gotta choose, which year would you prefer

MSU 54-12 (26-3).. loses in Supers

MSU 38-22 (15-13).. 0-2 in Omaha

Given those choices gimme 54-12, no Omaha

ETA saw where the diary stated something similar on this point. Agreed I'd take national runner up over SEC Champ, but Vandy year over 0-2 in Omaha

HoopsDawg
04-28-2014, 03:34 PM
Of course the generic "Omaha" is better than a SEC Championship because "Omaha" means a chance at a National Championship.

But..

Would you rather have a year like Vanderbilt last year, dominating the SEC all year, and falling short of Omaha

or

ETA saw where the diary stated something similar on this point. Agreed I'd take national runner up over SEC Champ, but Vandy year over 0-2 in Omaha

I'll take Omaha every single time.

I seen it dawg
04-28-2014, 03:39 PM

But..

or

Of course you would. Omaha every time not negotiable.

ETA: I don't give a shit if we are 28-28 and skate into a regional by some miracle. You will NEVER win a national title if you don't make it to Omaha. It's ALL about getting to Omaha. Anything else places a distant 2nd. I would trade never winning a SEC title if we make it to Omaha consistently and win a title someday. Even if we never win a NC I would never trade an SEC for Omaha appearance. What the hell is the ****ing world coming to?

War Machine Dawg
04-28-2014, 03:45 PM

But..

or

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae73/MSUDawgBurke/ImpliedFacepalm2_zpsb1e5da2d.jpg (http://s959.photobucket.com/user/MSUDawgBurke/media/ImpliedFacepalm2_zpsb1e5da2d.jpg.html)

C222
04-28-2014, 03:55 PM
Why is the hell would anyone choose anything other than a trip to Omaha and a chance at a National Title? That is amazing to me.

Will James
04-28-2014, 04:01 PM
Why is the hell would anyone choose anything other than a trip to Omaha and a chance at a National Title? That is amazing to me.

Exactly, you wouldn't choose that over a generic Omaha trip.

But who had the better year, 2007 MSU or 2013 Vanderbilt.

I'd take a SEC Championship over a for-sure 0-2 trip to Omaha.

I seen it dawg
04-28-2014, 04:35 PM
Exactly, you wouldn't choose that over a generic Omaha trip.

But who had the better year, 2007 MSU or 2013 Vanderbilt.

I'd take a SEC Championship over a for-sure 0-2 trip to Omaha.

It's not about who had the better year dumbass. It's about what's better...an SEC title or OMAHA. Don't twist this debate because your stance is more unpopular than Donald Sterling. I think you popped off some shit at me one time about you can't make your choice AFTER it's over. There are NO for sure 0-2 in OMAHA. Ever.

Generic OMAHA trip? What the **** are you talking about?!? OMAHA is OMAHA. You don't have any ****ing idea how hard it is to get to OMAHA. You know why? Because it goes back to the fact that you don't know how the game of baseball is really played. And because you act like an expert on the game that makes you the stupidest muther****er that has ever posted about baseball on any message board that has ever existed on the interwebs. Generic OMAHA? Jesus h Christ that's moronic. I didn't think you could get stupider but you've proven me wrong.

Will James
04-28-2014, 04:40 PM
It's not about who had the better year dumbass. It's about what's better...an SEC title or OMAHA. Don't twist this debate because your stance is more unpopular than Donald Sterling. I think you popped off some shit at me one time about you can't make your choice AFTER it's over. There are NO for sure 0-2 in OMAHA. Ever.

Generic OMAHA trip? What the **** are you talking about?!? OMAHA is OMAHA. You don't have any ****ing idea how hard it is to get to OMAHA. You know why? Because it goes back to the fact that you don't know how the game of baseball is really played. And because you act like an expert on the game that makes you the stupidest muther****er that has ever posted about baseball on any message board that has ever existed on the interwebs. Generic OMAHA? Jesus h Christ that's moronic. I didn't think you could get stupider but you've proven me wrong.

lets see if Scoobadawg gives you a warning for this one**

You have very few logical brain cells. All I'm saying is I'd rather go 54-12 than go 0-2 in Omaha

Todd4State
04-28-2014, 04:48 PM
lets see if Scoobadawg gives you a warning for this one**

You have very few logical brain cells. All I'm saying is I'd rather go 54-12 than go 0-2 in Omaha

So, would you rather your favorite MLB team have the best record in baseball than get swept in the World Series?

Will James
04-28-2014, 04:52 PM
So, would you rather your favorite MLB team have the best record in baseball than get swept in the World Series?

No that would be runner up, I already said I'd take a runner up over 54-12.

Its different on all accounts because a division win isn't as prestigious as a conference championship but just for shits and giggles I'd rather be 130-32 and lose the play-in game than be 82-82 and lose in the ALDS

I seen it dawg
04-28-2014, 04:59 PM

Its different on all accounts because a division win isn't as prestigious as a conference championship but just for shits and giggles I'd rather be 130-32 and lose the play-in game than be 82-82 and lose in the ALDS

Zero of what you are saying is close to the discussion at this point because you don't understand what it's about because your argument was stupid in the first place and has gotten worse. What would you rather have..SEC or OMAHA? It's either or. Very simple.

Todd4State
04-28-2014, 05:00 PM
I can't believe I'm having to explain this, and for most on this board I'm pretty sure you realize this BUT since there are a few....

In order of importance:

1. Winning a NC. Should be self explanatory.

2. Going to Omaha. Vanderbilt had a better season than us record wise. But which team was talked about more during the offseason? THAT'S WHY.

3. Super Regional. This signifies that you are one of the top 25 teams in the country without a doubt. This is my personal minimal expectation as far as having a good season. We go to a SR every year, and I'm not going to complain. Especially since Cohen has gotten us to Omaha, so it's not like Stansbury.

4. SEC Championship/SEC Tournament Championship. About the same to me. Our fans covet the regular season championship more since we haven't won one since 1989. Winning the SEC Tournament is fun, I enjoy it when we win- but in the grand national scheme it doesn't really mean a lot. Same with a SEC Championship- it's fun to win and a good goal to have, but in the grand national scheme, it doesn't mean a lot. And when I say grand national scheme I mean final polls and national exposure. The fact of the matter is the SR's and CWS are on TV to a larger audience and that's what makes it more prestigious. Going 0-2 in the CWS helps us more from a national aspect than winning the SEC. Which is very important since we have already taken over Mississippi and we need guys like Gavin Collins to fill in the spots.

5. Governor's Cup. It's important for in state recruiting and is a lot of years the biggest game in the state of Mississippi. A record crowd saw us beat Ole Miss this year- winning that game simply creates momentum.

6. Winning a prestigious OOC tournament. Fun to win, but very few remember that you win them.

drunkernhelldawg
04-28-2014, 05:02 PM
I'd rather have the SEC reg. season title than just go to Omaha. Now I'd rather win Omaha, but it has been way too long since an SEC title and we've "been to Omaha" three or four times since then. Even coming in second last season does not have the staying power that an SEC Championship would. Competition is about winning championships. Everything else is a little less. Maybe it's that we've been to Omaha several times, but it's not even a close call for me. An SEC title is always a season to remember. Omaha, sorta, but not always.

State82
04-28-2014, 05:05 PM
SEC or OMAHA? It's either or. Very simple.

Yep. Black and white. Nobody in the college baseball world pays any attention to who wins overall conference championships or tournament championships, generally. But they pay a whole lot of attention to the 8 that end up at college baseball's sacred ground. It is 2 weeks of college baseball heaven. And I want to be there at all costs and at every opportunity. Even if we never win another SEC championship.

Todd4State
04-28-2014, 05:05 PM

You mean 81-81?

82 + 82 = 164

Will James
04-28-2014, 05:08 PM
I'd rather have the SEC reg. season title than just go to Omaha.

This makes you the stupidest mother****er to ever post apparently.

I seen it dawg
04-28-2014, 05:08 PM
You mean 81-81?

82 + 82 = 164

Yeah the guru of baseball knowledge strikes again.

I seen it dawg
04-28-2014, 05:10 PM

Nope not close. Your resume is so strong no one can get in the same universe.

drunkernhelldawg

I'm in the line with you. What's that scarecrow doing here with us?

Todd4State
I'd rather have the SEC reg. season title than just go to Omaha. Now I'd rather win Omaha, but it has been way too long since an SEC title and we've "been to Omaha" three or four times since then. Even coming in second last season does not have the staying power that an SEC Championship would. Competition is about winning championships. Everything else is a little less. Maybe it's that we've been to Omaha several times, but it's not even a close call for me. An SEC title is always a season to remember. Omaha, sorta, but not always.

Both would be seasons to remember. I can't remember a season where I thought, "well we went to Omaha but nothing memorable happened."

Big picture- Omaha is better, and therefore preferable.

drunkernhelldawg
04-28-2014, 05:23 PM
Both would be seasons to remember. I can't remember a season where I thought, "well we went to Omaha but nothing memorable happened."

Big picture- Omaha is better, and therefore preferable.

I think this whole idea of playing for prestige is flawed. I think we need to play because we're obsessed with competition.

I seen it dawg
04-28-2014, 05:32 PM
I think this whole idea of playing for prestige is flawed. I think we need to play because we're obsessed with competition.

Getting to OMAHA is competing at the highest level. We don't play for prestige. Prestige is winning the SEC. It doesn't mean anything in the big picture. Omaha is competition.

Todd4State
04-28-2014, 05:44 PM

That makes zero sense.

Look at LSU before and after their dynasty in the 1990's. If we're obsessed with competition, Omaha and winning the NC needs to be the goal. If we do that, we will gain prestige.

Will James
04-28-2014, 05:46 PM
Competing at the highest level is getting a National Seed

Todd4State
04-28-2014, 06:00 PM

It's how you finish that counts. Without looking it up, name the National Seeds for the last three years.

Will James
04-28-2014, 06:02 PM
It's how you finish that counts. Without looking it up, name the National Seeds for the last three years.

The most competitive teams

Coach34
04-28-2014, 06:10 PM
We have returned to being a Top 20 program...maybe even top 15...that's not even arguable

I seen it dawg
04-28-2014, 06:50 PM

Stupid is as stupid does. Are you arguing this on purpose just to get a rise out of people? Who cares if you are a National Seed if you don't make OMAHA.

The Croom Diaries
04-29-2014, 12:47 PM
Even coming in second last season does not have the staying power that an SEC Championship would.

Do you really believe this?

All anybody can say about the 1989 team is that it was one of our greatest teams but it was gut-wrenching to see us lose. All anybody can say about the 2013 team is how incredibly fun the ride was last June. One season left us with a bitter taste, the other with pride.

Which team means more to people, 1996 basketball or 2004?

If you're after a "championship" then we won one in 2012. We won the Starkville Regional and Charlottesville Super Regional championship in 2013. We won our half of the bracket in Omaha. The SEC regular season is the cherry on top that makes a really good season into a great season, but it's not what matters ultimately. The entire season is a journey that is built to put your best team on the field come postseason play....because that is what matters. UConn wasn't the best basketball team this year but they kept building their team until they were the best come March. SEC play is just preparation for the postseason. It's nice to be the best during the regular season but they call it "regular" for a reason - it don't mean as much.