PDA

View Full Version : Barrett Sallee goes full-retard, again, this morning

ShotgunDawg
04-27-2014, 12:27 PM
Just gonna leave this here...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2040575-power-ranking-every-sec-west-football-team-post-spring-practice/page/6

Funny, in regards to us. he says it is the "Grand Canyon" to go from a lower tier bowl team to an SEC West contender, but yet we had a 4th quarter lead on the road against Auburn, and played Bama very well.

And, we also beat Ole Miss, who doesn't have a right tackle, with our 3rd string QB playing most of the game, yet for some unknown reason, the "Grand Canyon" between a lower tier bowl, which the Music City is, and contending is much less for them.

I have shamefully been reading Sallee for a few years now, and here is his biggest problem. He isn't consistent. He uses one piece of criteria or checklist to explain why one team is ranked where they are, and completely different set of criteria/checklist to explain another team that has the same talent and flaws as the other team.

This leads to massive inconsistency in logic, and contradictory statements and rankings. Simply, he tries to pump out as many articles as he can, without spending the necessary time or concentration to write a good one.

MarketingBully01
04-27-2014, 12:32 PM
He's an Auburn asshole. What do you expect?

coastdoglover
04-27-2014, 12:32 PM
He is a rebel homer most of the time, don't be fooled. I pay about as much attention to him as I do Barrack Obama.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2040575-power-ranking-every-sec-west-football-team-post-spring-practice/page/6

Funny, in regards to us. he says it is the "Grand Canyon" to go from a lower tier bowl team to an SEC West contender, but yet we had a 4th quarter lead on the road against Auburn, and played Bama very well.

And, we also beat Ole Miss, who doesn't have a right tackle, with our 3rd string QB playing most of the game, yet for some unknown reason, the "Grand Canyon" between a lower tier bowl, which the Music City is, and contending is much less for them.

I have shamefully been reading Sallee for a few years now, and here is his biggest problem. He isn't consistent. He uses one piece of criteria or checklist to explain why one team is ranked where they are, and completely different set of criteria/checklist to explain another team that has the same talent and flaws as the other team.

This leads to massive inconsistency in logic, and contradictory statements and rankings. Simply, he tries to pump out as many articles as he can, without spending the necessary time or concentration to write a good one.

Goat Holder
04-27-2014, 12:37 PM
The gap this year is between Alabama/Auburn and the rest.

Until we take respect, no one will give it to us. Oh, we are supposed to be special for playing Auburn a good game? What about when La Tech played us a good game in 2011? Shit goes both ways.

Saltydog
04-27-2014, 12:37 PM
even read his garbage anymore. When we whip their ass this year in Starkville, he'll have a thousand excuses.

missouridawg
04-27-2014, 12:50 PM

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2040575-power-ranking-every-sec-west-football-team-post-spring-practice/page/6 Simply, he tries to pump out as many articles as he can, without spending the necessary time or concentration to write a good one.

That's called the Bleacher Report business model and it's why you should ignore that entire network of "journalists".

DapperDawg
04-27-2014, 05:26 PM
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas. Just because we came close doesn't mean anything. Until we're in the win column of some of these big games, we won't garner any respect or expectations from writers and analysts. OM deserves more respect because they upset LSU last year and have recruited at a higher level (according to those, whose opinions matter).

msstate7
04-27-2014, 05:52 PM
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas. Just because we came close doesn't mean anything. Until we're in the win column of some of these big games, we won't garner any respect or expectations from writers and analysts. OM deserves more respect because they upset LSU last year and have recruited at a higher level (according to those, whose opinions matter).

But yet OM lost to us (nobody) and finished behind us for how many straight years?

justwin
04-27-2014, 06:21 PM
So, his order is:

1. Auburn - this makes sense. I watched some of the spring game & the QB wasn't as impressive as you would think going against walk-on scout teams. He did miss some throws that the article says he made. I'd say the same for the RBs as any 2nd or even 3rd string SEC player wouldn't have allowed those runs they made. I agree with Aub @ #1 solely due to Gus and his play calling though.
2. Bama - Their OL won't be typical Bama elite this year and AJ masked some of that last year. Stop the RBs and you have a chance to beat them in 2014. ALOT of pressure on Coker.
3. TSUN - They did beat LSU last year. I think Nkem @ DT fulltime will show that he's SEC avg. I don't recall him wreaking havoc & his only shot at being really disruptive is at end, but he's not fast enough at end. Everyone knows their OL can be trouble. Engram being back will help their slot passing.
4. LSU - if we get beat by a true fr qb, true fr rb, true fr WR & a depleted defense, we'll never beat them.
5. TXAM - no more Johnny fball. all there is to say.
6. MSU - wildcard of the entire west. all the pieces are in place. just need to go do it on the field. They could finish anywhere 1-6.
7. ARK- I think they get 6 wins b/c coach knows how to run the fball. He'll have some gigantic seasoned OL too.

If I had to rank them today, I'd go:

1. Bama - Saban will have a kicker in place, @ home vs Aub, & won't allow his QB to beat himself.
2. Aub - losing the RB will hurt. Defense will be better than they are due to their offense.
3 - 5. I can see MSU, LSU, OM in any order. Will depend on how good the QBs play
6-7 - TXAM & Ark.

MetEdDawg
04-27-2014, 06:35 PM
This is what he and the Auburn guys talked about on the radio:

1) Nick Marshall is the most improved passer maybe in Auburn history from season to season and will throw for 3,000 yards and rush for 1,000 based on his Spring Game.
2) This is the deepest group of WRs in Auburn history (yes they literally said that and it's a damn insult to when Ben Obamanu, Devin Aromashadu, Courtney Taylor, and Anthony Mix were all on the same team)
3) Auburn's defense will be one of the best in the league and they are deep everywhere
4) Dee Ford will be fairly easy to replace because all of their freshmen coming in are amazing and will contribute immediately
5) Tre Mason will be easily replaced because Auburn has maybe the deepest RB group in the SEC and possibly the nation

It's nuts down here. Auburn apparently thinks they have the best everything in the conference right now. They are blowing some serious smoke up their fans asses. Do I think they will be good? Yeah no doubt. May be better than last year. But you can't tell me that a last second drive at home against us, a 70 yard miracle tipped TD pass on 4th and 18 at home against UGA, and a 109 FG return for a TD to end the Iron Bowl means Auburn is the conference champion shoe in, which is what they are saying down here.

They still have some holes on defense and will still be relatively young and inexperienced at some positions. I don't see them going undefeated because I think a good defense will stop their offense on the road at least once this year. Wouldn't be surprised if we beat them after they take LSU at home and I wouldn't be surprised if they lose 2 out of their final 6 which included SC, @OM, TAMU, @ UGA, Samford, and @Bama. Disciplined, athletic defense that tackle well in space can stop Auburn. I think us, UGA, OM, and Bama will all have that on defense, especially at the point of attack with the front 7.

UMCDawg16
04-27-2014, 06:40 PM
The fact that he mentioned Bohanna as a returning "leader" on defense tells you he knows ZERO about our football program, as expected. This list is nothing more than preconceived rankings based off of recruiting "rankings", journalist bias and athletics department budget size.

ShotgunDawg
04-27-2014, 07:00 PM
The fact that he mentioned Bohanna as a returning "leader" on defense tells you he knows ZERO about our football program, as expected. This list is nothing more than preconceived rankings based off of recruiting "rankings", journalist bias and athletics department budget size.

Yes, it's quite humorous that he says "post spring rankings" when he never saw us or OM play this spring. How would he know?

BulldogBear
04-27-2014, 07:30 PM
Yes, it's quite humorous that he says "post spring rankings" when he never saw us or OM play this spring. How would he know?

The same way my cat knows he's about to get a bath or go to the vet. It's a mystery. Difference is cat is usually right.

Goat Holder
04-28-2014, 09:15 AM
Auburn's going to lose at least 2 or 3 games this year minimum. They'll be ready to run Marshall out of town by November.

Coach34
04-28-2014, 09:36 AM
I agree on Auburn/ their schedule is rough with 4 tough road games

as far as OM- I keep seeing Treadwell is going to take Moncrief's place- and that's fine. Paidwell is very good. But who is going to take Logan's place and Treadwell's place from last year? One thing is for damn sure- OM won't be as good in the slot as they were last year.

PassInterference
04-28-2014, 09:38 AM
Does Treadwell have Moncrief's breakaway speed? I doubt it.

Goat Holder
04-28-2014, 09:53 AM
as far as OM- I keep seeing Treadwell is going to take Moncrief's place- and that's fine. Paidwell is very good. But who is going to take Logan's place and Treadwell's place from last year? One thing is for damn sure- OM won't be as good in the slot as they were last year.
Yep, I laugh my ass off when I see people saying this. It's about as football ignorant as you can possibly be. They lost Mike Wallace and their offense could do SHIT against anybody decent for 3/4 of the year. That's what this will be like. I'll say it....Moncrief is better than Paidwell....and they'll find out after this season.....for them and whatever team drafts Moncrief.

Coach34
04-28-2014, 10:03 AM
I don't know if Moncrief is better overall than Paidwell- once they mature. But what I do know is that OM's talent level at WR is not as good as it was last year as a whole. They lost Logan and a top 3 round draft pick. What they are replacing them with is not as good.

Now they have OL issues as well. Their offense will still be pretty good- but when they have OL injuries, and they will- they are going to have some problems

Goat Holder
04-28-2014, 10:07 AM
Delete....mis read it

Covercorner2
04-28-2014, 10:13 AM
I'm just not sure what TSUN's "identity" on offense is gonna be. It's damn sure not gonna be running the ball between the tackles, and they dont have anyone that can stretch the field or blow the top of the defense. Treadwell is is physical and has good hands, but he's not a burner....

Goat Holder
04-28-2014, 10:23 AM
Agreed, and they are going to struggle because of it. It's going to be hilarious to watch. Then, in 2015 when they lose Wallace, they will REALLY struggle. They don't seem to want to give him the credit he deserves.

PassInterference
04-28-2014, 10:41 AM
I think Kinkaide could be Bo Dirt level or better. But OM doesn't have a staff that can develop QBs. So expect more of the same.

BulldogBear
04-28-2014, 11:51 AM

OLE MISS - proving you can spin the results of any one game on the schedule since the JV era to come to the logical conclusion that your own squad is a powerhouse or the other squad is a fluke, whichever suits your purpose

smootness
04-28-2014, 12:00 PM
Moncrief is starting to slip into the 1st round in some mocks now. You guys are right, Treadwell could potentially have a similar impact to Moncrief, but their WR corps as a whole was better last year than it will be this year; to me it's hard to argue that.

And Dodson/Wilkins as their power backs? Ha. Dodson is no power back, and if Wilkins was good enough to carry the load, it seems like they wouldn't have redshirted him last year.

No matter what, their offense will struggle. Very thin on the OL, a QB without a lot of zip or good decision-making, a big question mark at RB, and a downgraded WR group.

Their defense should be very good. Their safeties will be a game-changing unit, their LBs are small but are effective, and their DL could be very good. But will it be better than our defense? I would tend to doubt that.

Boodawg
04-28-2014, 12:00 PM

I disagree about having close games means nothing. If all our losses last year were blowout losses, I'd feel much worse about the team that I do right now.

BulldogBear
04-28-2014, 12:05 PM
#1 Alabama - probably, Auburn could sneak in here, maybe LSU if (a big if) their freshman make it through the first half without getting killed or losing more than 1 and gain enough confidence/experience to amp it up second half. Will require talent as well!

#2 Auburn - mainly b/c I don't have the confidence to just put anybody else directly here. Could be LSU for above reasons. MSU also but would be our ceiling I think, even if Bammers not #1

#3 LSU - really just because I don't wanna put us here and ask for a jinx. Could see MSU. An Ole Miss team that surprises us or a TAMU that really surprises postJF. Ceiling for TAMU & UM

#4 MSU - gotta take out Bama or LSU before I'll ever put us officially predicted higher than halfway. Really, OM, TAMU, LSU or Auburn could find themselves here. Probably lowest Auburn will finish

#5 Ole Miss - don't want to admit the problems they could have. Probably no lower than this unless TAMU steps up. LSU's basement is here (wouldn't that be sweet) if they a real rude awakening that they are no longer simply reloading

#6 Texas A&M - life after Johnny gonna be harder than anybody thinks. Could find Arkansas here if TAMU just tanks

#7 Arkansas - long way to go yet in the Natural State

BulldogBear
04-28-2014, 12:31 PM
1,475 views...

That's nice of all the Bears readers to come over here to see our reaction.

smootness
04-28-2014, 12:38 PM
I don't see any way LSU could possibly win the West this year. I won't believe a true freshman can step in at QB, especially in a system like LSU's and be good enough to beat all the other teams in the division until I see it, given the West's current state.

I think the only two real legitimate possibilities to win the West next year are Bama and Auburn; I would like to say State, but no one outside of a State fan would. I do think it is actually possible for us, but that could just be bias.

I think the best bet to win the division is Auburn. Alabama will reload for the most part, but we just don't know what they'll have at QB and that is a huge question mark for them. This is the first time in a real long time they don't have a guy already lined up to take over.

DapperDawg
04-28-2014, 02:20 PM
I disagree about having close games means nothing. If all our losses last year were blowout losses, I'd feel much worse about the team that I do right now.

We were blown out by OK ST and LSU. USCe beat us fairly easily (by 18), Bama by 13, A&M by 10 (hung 51 on us in that one). But hey, we almost beat Auburn..... almost. But don't forget about us squeaking by Bowling Green in our Homecoming thriller. We had to hold off KY on a late drive, to seal that victory. We also had to put up a late comeback to beat a terrible AR team in OT.

If we scream about close games, then we have to include our close victories of games that our opponents had no business being in.

Until Mullen pulls an upset and beats a power team that he's not supposed to, we won't get much respect or attention.

spiritual_machine2005
04-28-2014, 02:41 PM
We were blown out by OK ST and LSU. USCe beat us fairly easily (by 18), Bama by 13, A&M by 10 (hung 51 on us in that one). But hey, we almost beat Auburn..... almost. But don't forget about us squeaking by Bowling Green in our Homecoming thriller. We had to hold off KY on a late drive, to seal that victory. We also had to put up a late comeback to beat a terrible AR team in OT.

If we scream about close games, then we have to include our close victories of games that our opponents had no business being in.

Until Mullen pulls an upset and beats a power team that he's not supposed to, we won't get much respect or attention.

This is true. We GOT to take care of business this year. We have to destroy the teams we are supposed to beat, play the big boys close and upset at LEAST one of them, and keep the Egg in Starkville. If we can do all of those, then we will start to earn respect. It will not be given to us.

Coach34
04-28-2014, 03:18 PM
I totally agree we have to play better in big games- I am convinced this season you will with a veteran team.

Last season was very typical of a young team- especially one that had some injuries as we did early in the season- making us even more inexperienced.

Auburn? Young team couldnt find a way to win
LSU? Young team got tired as well as green Secondary getting torched
SC? Dak found out his Momma was near the end before that one- and he played his worst game of his career. We actually played well on D in this game
A&M? Game the Saturday after Dak's mom died. He was emotionally spent but gave a helluva effort. Defense had some critical breakdowns- but some of that was because they had 2 top 10 draft picks on offense
Bama? Wilson catches the pass that hits him in the helmet and it's a 6 point game.

I get bothered when people try to discredit the UPig win. A&M struggled to beat UPig and won a close one. UPig went to Baton Rouge and was leading in the 4th Q. They had 2 weeks to get ready for us and we played them in Arkansas- where we had yet to win. That was a good win for us.

Egg Bowl? Enough said.

Last year's team was a young team that was injured early, not to mention played 3 top 15 teams in it's 1st 5 games...- they got experience and got healthy- and was a decent team the last 1/3 of the season. 2014's team is experienced and has depth. It has weapons. Unless we are just really unfortunate with injuries- this team should have a great year. Time to get it done with an LSU, Auburn, or A&M in 2014.

PassInterference
04-28-2014, 03:22 PM
Arkansas is going to have a respectable team sooner than later. They looked decent at times last year.

More importantly, as defenses get lightweight and fast to stop spread offenses, somebody is going to waltz in and dominate with smashmouth big uglies football. It might be Arkansas.

Pollodawg
04-28-2014, 03:27 PM
I totally agree we have to play better in big games- I am convinced this season you will with a veteran team.

Last season was very typical of a young team- especially one that had some injuries as we did early in the season- making us even more inexperienced.

Auburn? Young team couldnt find a way to win
LSU? Young team got tired as well as green Secondary getting torched
SC? Dak found out his Momma was near the end before that one- and he played his worst game of his career. We actually played well on D in this game
A&M? Game the Saturday after Dak's mom died. He was emotionally spent but gave a helluva effort. Defense had some critical breakdowns- but some of that was because they had 2 top 10 draft picks on offense
Bama? Wilson catches the pass that hits him in the helmet and it's a 6 point game.

I get bothered when people try to discredit the UPig win. A&M struggled to beat UPig and won a close one. UPig went to Baton Rouge and was leading in the 4th Q. They had 2 weeks to get ready for us and we played them in Arkansas- where we had yet to win. That was a good win for us.

Egg Bowl? Enough said.

Last year's team was a young team that was injured early, not to mention played 3 top 15 teams in it's 1st 5 games...- they got experience and got healthy- and was a decent team the last 1/3 of the season. 2014's team is experienced and has depth. It has weapons. Unless we are just really unfortunate with injuries- this team should have a great year. Time to get it done with an LSU, Auburn, or A&M in 2014.

Dak was 28-43 for 235 yards. If it wasn't for the fact that his head was nowhere near that game, he had one helluva day. There were times in the Croom error I would have killed to see a QB with those kind of stats. We held Connor Shaw to less than a 150 yards, and the only plays we gave up in the secondary just happened to be big ones.

Johnson85
04-28-2014, 03:31 PM
Yep, I laugh my ass off when I see people saying this. It's about as football ignorant as you can possibly be. They lost Mike Wallace and their offense could do SHIT against anybody decent for 3/4 of the year. That's what this will be like. I'll say it....Moncrief is better than Paidwell....and they'll find out after this season.....for them and whatever team drafts Moncrief.

Well, they lost Mike Wallace and I believe an NFL OT that they did a poor job of replacing.

Not that their line is looking to be in better shape this year, bu it wasn't just Wallace leaving that hurt them.

Goat Holder
04-28-2014, 03:43 PM
Arkansas is going to have a respectable team sooner than later. They looked decent at times last year.
Respectable, maybe. They'll never be the power they were under Petrino again, unless they obviously hire another guy like him. Petrino has a way of overinflating fans sense of team worth.

More importantly, as defenses get lightweight and fast to stop spread offenses, somebody is going to waltz in and dominate with smashmouth big uglies football. It might be Arkansas.
Sort of like Alabama already does? Arkansas will never have the means to put that type of team together.

blacklistedbully
04-28-2014, 07:21 PM
We beat ourselves versus SCar. Even Spurrier admitted it in the post-game. "Turnovers were the biggest factor". Easily DP's worst game, a game he played at his mother's request, knowing she was lying in her death-bed. Took a lot of guts, but I just can't fault the young man for losing his focus that day, or the following week versus TAMU, after his mother had died.

We had 5 turnovers versus a SCar team that wasn't exactly known for creating a ton of t/o's outside our game. MSU 23 first downs to SCar's 12. We had more total yards, 6-13 on 3rd down, versus 1-11 for them. We beat them statistically in the categories that typically spell victory, except for the t/o's. We beat ourselves in that game.

Pollodawg
04-28-2014, 09:01 PM
We beat ourselves versus SCar. Even Spurrier admitted it in the post-game. "Turnovers were the biggest factor". Easily DP's worst game, a game he played at his mother's request, knowing she was lying in her death-bed. Took a lot of guts, but I just can't fault the young man for losing his focus that day, or the following week versus TAMU, after his mother had died.

We had 5 turnovers versus a SCar team that wasn't exactly known for creating a ton of t/o's outside our game. MSU 23 first downs to SCar's 12. We had more total yards, 6-13 on 3rd down, versus 1-11 for them. We beat them statistically in the categories that typically spell victory, except for the t/o's. We beat ourselves in that game.

If all you looked at where the stats, we dominated that game. Start to finish dominated. And I am with you. I don't fault Dak at all for that game, and it pisses me off when people say he isn't a good QB after that one performance.