PDA

View Full Version : I'm disappointed in my baseball team this year

Coach34
04-26-2014, 11:39 PM
Last year was outstanding. They got hot. Butch and John made some really good moves to help the team succeed and make critical plays that made the season memorable. It was a fun ride I wished my Father had lived to see. We came up short in Omaha, but that is sports and hope springs eternal.

This year? I'm not proud of shit.

We have a talented pitching staff. All I hear is about All-state this...drafted that...90+ this...The pitching staff has laid a turd an elephant would be proud of. Injuries, inconsistency, and vaginitas has taken its toll. We are coached well here- but something is missing this year. Not sure what it is- but it wont be in Omaha- thats obvious at this point.

John Cohen? #Cohening has become popular because for the 6th year in a row Cohen makes "what the ****ing ****" decisions week after week. I'm an outstanding baseball mind. I have outcoached legend Mike Kinison head to head. I've had success with players the great Stacy Hester has written off. But hooooo-leeeee-****ing shit on a cracker why would you as a coach choose to bunt after your team has gotten 3 straight hits? Why? Why in the monkey **** would you give the opposing team an out when your team has seized all the momentum with 3 straight hits? All you are doing is killing momentum by doing that. As a coach, I always told my team to take the out the opposing team gives you. Dont try to do something stupid to lengthen the inning and give them more chances. TAKE THE OUT !!!!!

John Cohen knows more baseball than I ever will- and is an outstanding baseball coach. But on that one particular thing- he is wrong. He is dead ass wrong. And he did it twice this weekend. It's wrong. Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong

Detz? Shit year...very disappointing
Rea? Chinese man say- "Same tang"
CT? Stays hurt and cant be consistent
Armstrong and Hendu do great things and **** up big as well.
Vickerson has been disappointing
Britton has become as a quality player but still disappointing at SS and at the plate.

The season is not over and anything can still happen- but to this point- it just hasnt clicked in 2014. This team should be better. But it isnt- and we will have to live with a 2 seed somewhere. We better get some fight in us- we're gonna need it.

I seen it dawg
04-27-2014, 12:23 AM
I'm concerned it's vaginitis plain and simple. We need some guys to leave our program.

smootness
04-27-2014, 12:45 AM
Meh...same thing could be said last year. I'm not saying this year hasn't been disappointing to this point, just saying that I'd wait until it's over to make any kind of declarative statements.

Dawgface
04-27-2014, 07:07 AM
He does make a lot of bonehead decisions. After 6 years, no reason to think it will change. Maybe we will somehow get hot from here on in.

Jacksondevildog
04-27-2014, 07:36 AM
You failed to mention how shitty defensively we are at catcher. That should never happen at Mississippi State University.

Dawg61
04-27-2014, 07:40 AM
The constant changing of the lineup has to stop too. It's beyond stupid to be changing leadoff hitters and platooning players when the previous day's lineup produced and won. Cohen needs to let the players play and get out of their way during the games.

I seen it dawg
04-27-2014, 07:41 AM
We aren't shitty when Collins plays. He's talented but a true Fr. Have to go thru the growing pains. After Collins? Yes shitty.

Saltydog
04-27-2014, 07:41 AM
this post. Cue the responses in 3,2,1. In any event, you are being way to kind. This team is a lot worse than I ever could've imagined. They are finished. It's a physically small and weak team that I see getting bounced early in the SEC tourney as well as a regional as a 2 or possibly a 3 seed. Only players that have improved are Lingo and Armstrong. Everyone else has regressed.

Saltydog
04-27-2014, 07:44 AM
defensively, he's not good. He's got a decent arm but he struggles behind the plate and that's the only reason at all that Randolph ever sees the field. He let's a lot of balls get by and that's the reason he didn't play more earlier in the season. His stick is the ONLY thing that got him back in the lineup.

AlSwearengen
04-27-2014, 08:12 AM
The biggest problem that I see is that we need some STUDS that separate themselves from their teammates. Collins type of players. We have good defenders that can't hit and decent hitters that can't defend.

Having definitive stars will make it harder for Cohen to over manage (hopefully). Pitching wise, I don't know what the problem is, but we can't expect them to hold teams to three runs every game.

Political Hack
04-27-2014, 08:13 AM
How many series have we dropped to teams we shouldn't have? I think it's 2 off the top of my head but I could be missing one or two. Sucks losing those, and we need to get better before the post-season starts, but anyone who was expecting us to be as good as we were last year was kidding themselves.

shoeless joe
04-27-2014, 09:04 AM
Problem is the upperclassmen are role players. The "studds" are young and aren't there yet. Cohen does make some strange decisions at times but this board also over reacts to decisions that any coach would make.

However, coach, your post lost a ton of Cred when you forgot sarcasterisks after "the great Stacey Hester".

HoopsDawg
04-27-2014, 09:46 AM
Last year was outstanding. They got hot. Butch and John made some really good moves to help the team succeed and make critical plays that made the season memorable. It was a fun ride I wished my Father had lived to see. We came up short in Omaha, but that is sports and hope springs eternal.

We have a talented pitching staff. All I hear is about All-state this...drafted that...90+ this...The pitching staff has laid a turd an elephant would be proud of. Injuries, inconsistency, and vaginitas has taken its toll. We are coached well here- but something is missing this year. Not sure what it is- but it wont be in Omaha- thats obvious at this point.

John Cohen? #Cohening has become popular because for the 6th year in a row Cohen makes "what the ****ing ****" decisions week after week. I'm an outstanding baseball mind. I have outcoached legend Mike Kinison head to head. I've had success with players the great Stacy Hester has written off. But hooooo-leeeee-****ing shit on a cracker why would you as a coach choose to bunt after your team has gotten 3 straight hits? Why? Why in the monkey **** would you give the opposing team an out when your team has seized all the momentum with 3 straight hits? All you are doing is killing momentum by doing that. As a coach, I always told my team to take the out the opposing team gives you. Dont try to do something stupid to lengthen the inning and give them more chances. TAKE THE OUT !!!!!

John Cohen knows more baseball than I ever will- and is an outstanding baseball coach. But on that one particular thing- he is wrong. He is dead ass wrong. And he did it twice this weekend. It's wrong. Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong

Britton has become as a quality player but still disappointing at SS and at the plate.

The season is not over and anything can still happen- but to this point- it just hasnt clicked in 2014. This team should be better. But it isnt- and we will have to live with a 2 seed somewhere. We better get some fight in us- we're gonna need it.

After all the Mullen, Rick Ray, and Cohen Kool-Aid, let me just say, Welcome back Coach. Good post.

mic
04-27-2014, 09:50 AM
Vaginitas and ZERO chemistry.. And besides Pirtle no SR will be missed.. (actually a couple of JR wouldn't be missed either )

mic
04-27-2014, 09:54 AM

Me and Coach agree on a lot of things .. Bunting not always one of them.. But As pissed off as you get about bunting.. I get 10x more pissed when we try to bunt,( don't try very hard) and cant lay it down..

Will James
04-27-2014, 09:56 AM
We just have to live in this era of The Recruiter. Looks like the cupboard will be full of talent coming in and hopefully that talent can overcome his coaching if we are to become a true powerhouse. Also that talent needs to be left alone to do what they do, not turning everyone under 6'4 into Judy.

Sucks that our coach actively and deliberately causes our chances of winning games to drop but it is what it is. We have to be better than the other team and our coach. The good news is a lot of other coaches are full retard on bunting too. Selfish coaching is the issue, making the game about them.

Will James
04-27-2014, 09:59 AM
Me and Coach agree on a lot of things .. Bunting not always one of them.. But As pissed off as you get about bunting.. I get 10x more pissed when we try to bunt,( don't try very hard) and cant lay it down..

Which is why you have to factor that into the decision. Knowing failure happens often makes it a bad call. You aren't stealing with Wes Rea even though extra bases are positive. Why? Cause the chance of failure greatly outweighs the rewards of success. Same thing with the bunt.

Coach34
04-27-2014, 10:01 AM
Whatever you think about Hester personally, you can't deny he is a damn good HS baseball coach. I would have loved to have coached against him.

HoopsDawg
04-27-2014, 10:04 AM
We just have to live in this era of The Recruiter. Looks like the cupboard will be full of talent coming in and hopefully that talent can overcome his coaching if we are to become a true powerhouse. Also that talent needs to be left alone to do what they do, not turning everyone under 6'4 into Judy.

Sucks that our coach actively and deliberately causes our chances of winning games to drop but it is what it is. We have to be better than the other team and our coach. The good news is a lot of other coaches are full retard on bunting too. Selfish coaching is the issue, making the game about them.

Yep, it's ego, pure ego. And some managers feel they have to "do something" in order to prove their worth.

tcdog70
04-27-2014, 10:29 AM
Why bunt with. Man on second and no outs? You have a lefty batting , if he pulls the ball to the right side it will advance the runner and might result in a hit. Bunting might make sense if we were loaded with clutch hitters. But for this team to give up precious outs is just stupid

Goat Holder
04-27-2014, 10:35 AM
Bunting is not the problem. During Polk II all of you were bitching about the lack of small ball. Bitch, bitch, bitch. We are simply stuck in a year with mediocre talent, but that changes starting next year. Coaching and person be decisions seem more baffling than they really are when there are simply no other options. It is what is. Check your egos and your "great baseball mind" at the door and just support the team. To do otherwise is pointless.

Will James
04-27-2014, 10:35 AM
Yep, it's ego, pure ego. And some managers feel they have to "do something" in order to prove their worth.

It's understandable when you got your Jim's and Bart's orgasming everytime a runner gets on with no outs about the bunt. They love that shit. "Gotta play the bunt game here"

If it was so easy to do you wouldn't have the whole dugout up to celebrate a successful bunt like they do when a run scores. It should be expected. People congratulate an out more than a triple.

shoeless joe
04-27-2014, 10:36 AM
Whatever you think about Heater personally, you can't deny he is a damn good HS baseball coach. I would have loved to have lcoached against him.

Hester had damn good players. New hope always has players, haven't missed much of a beat since he left. Not saying he's a bad coach...but from one of his best players that ever came thru there "I wasn't taught a thing about the correct way to play the game, we were just better than everybody".

Will James
04-27-2014, 10:37 AM
Why bunt with. Man on second and no outs? You have a lefty batting , if he pulls the ball to the right side it will advance the runner and might result in a hit. Bunting might make sense if we were loaded with clutch hitters. But for this team to give up precious outs is just stupid

Been making this point for years now. Bunting hurts bad offensive teams EVEN MORE because they can't bail it out. See 2012.

Goat Holder
04-27-2014, 10:42 AM
You should be more upset with Detz and Rea then. Their lack of improvement (along with lack of a 3rd starter aka Woodruff) is what's really killing us. Woody seems to be coming around.

Coach34
04-27-2014, 10:43 AM
Bunting is not the problem. .

It is when it is done after 3 straight hits. To argue with that is stupid

WinningIsRelentless
04-27-2014, 10:50 AM
Maybe Cohen is an attention whore and has to make decisions to try to effect the game. How many major league managers do you see making as many decisions in game as he does?

Good managers let their teams play the game unless they are overmatched.

Will James
04-27-2014, 11:02 AM
Maybe Cohen is an attention whore and has to make decisions to try to effect the game. How many major league managers do you see making as many decisions in game as he does?

the CT shuffle comes to mind.

Goat Holder
04-27-2014, 11:10 AM
Until he lays it down. But I guess it doesn't matter because YOU declared all other opinions stupid.

DawgSaint
04-27-2014, 11:40 AM
It is when it is done after 3 straight hits. To argue with that is stupid

I'm not arguing, but it's time we all realize this team can't hit anything but singles. I don't remember which inning yesterday, but we had 3 straight hits without scoring a run....pitiful! If it takes 4 hit an inning to score 1 run then we're lucky to have the record we have. This entire team has EIGHT home runs! How may balls did we hit in the gap the past two games! I only remember one...ground rule double! Of course, the way things are going for us that cost us a run.

Saltydog
04-27-2014, 11:55 AM
vehicle if we hit back to back to back hr's. I told the guy next to me the chances of us hitting 3 hr's in a row was about the same as winning the lottery. Actually, our chances of getting back to back to back hits are pretty damn low with this team.

DawgSaint
04-27-2014, 12:03 PM
vehicle if we hit back to back to back hr's. I told the guy next to me the chances of us hitting 3 hr's in a row was about the same as winning the lottery. Actually, our chances of getting back to back to back hits are pretty damn low with this team.

We laugh at that every time announced. I'm not one to get on message boards and bash our teams, but to think this team is going to "break out" and start hitting balls all over the ball park is going to lead to a lot more disappointment for you. Let's put it another way....if you were the pitcher for the opposing team who in our lineup would you be afraid to pitch to?

ShotgunDawg
04-27-2014, 12:14 PM
We just aren't very good.

1. We don't have a weekend starter that can touch 92 on the radar gun.

2. We don't have a bat in the lineup that can hit the ball over the fence or in the gap on a semi-regular basis. Simply, we can't move runners on the base paths, and it's why we leave so many on base.

I really really disagree with the use of the bunt, which is a sign of a non-progressive coach, that spits in the face of stats and facts, because "his gut" tells him to do something. It's lunacy.

However, I don't care if Casey Stengal himself was the coach of this team, a team that doesn't have a weekend starter that can throw 92 mph and a player in the lineup that can hit the ball over the fence, is a bad team. The margin for error is way to small to win consistently.

Coach34
04-27-2014, 12:15 PM
I'm not arguing, but it's time we all realize this team can't hit anything but singles. I don't remember which inning yesterday, but we had 3 straight hits without scoring a run....pitiful! If it takes 4 hit an inning to score 1 run then we're lucky to have the record we have. This entire team has EIGHT home runs! How may balls did we hit in the gap the past two games! I only remember one...ground rule double! Of course, the way things are going for us that cost us a run.

There's no denying that we are a Punch and Judy hitting team. I just think we should work more on the hit-n-run aspect of our game and less on bunting. Bunting in the 1st inning with the pitcher on the ropes is absolutely ludacris.

When you get 3 straight hits, you start putting doubt in the pitcher's mind. The last thing any pitcher wants is to give up a big inning or to get pulled- so they begin to really feel the pressure mount on them after 3 straight hits. The pitcher is telling himself "If I dont make some pitches here- my ass is in trouble". Some pitchers respond well to that anxiety- but most dont.

When you bunt in that situation- you are taking the pressure off the pitcher. He doesnt have to make some really good pitches now- all he has to do is field the bunt and throw the runner out at 1st. Once he does that- you now have a more confident pitcher. He has gotten an out. 1st base is open so he knows he can still nibble corners and force the hitter to chase some balls. He feels good again because he knows with a few good pitches here- it will be two outs and he has the upper hand again.

While bunting does put runners on 2nd and 3rd to give you a chance to score 2 on a hit- I think it just totally decreases the amount of pressure on a pitcher once he gets that out on the bunt.

MarketingBully01
04-27-2014, 12:20 PM
defensively, he's not good. He's got a decent arm but he struggles behind the plate and that's the only reason at all that Randolph ever sees the field. He let's a lot of balls get by and that's the reason he didn't play more earlier in the season. His stick is the ONLY thing that got him back in the lineup.

It's a different mind set when you are coming in as a pinch hitter rather then being in the game as a catcher. Just is. Sure he went 0-4 in the second game but if you put Heck at the lead off spot Pirtle would have been in the position Collins was in Friday and it would have been moot.

DawgSaint
04-27-2014, 12:21 PM
There's no denying that we are a Punch and Judy hitting team. I just think we should work more on the hit-n-run aspect of our game and less on bunting. Bunting in the 1st inning with the pitcher on the ropes is absolutely ludacris.

When you get 3 straight hits, you start putting doubt in the pitcher's mind. The last thing any pitcher wants is to give up a big inning or to get pulled- so they begin to really feel the pressure mount on them after 3 straight hits. The pitcher is telling himself "If I dont make some pitches here- my ass is in trouble". Some pitchers respond well to that anxiety- but most dont.

When you bunt in that situation- you are taking the pressure off the pitcher. He doesnt have to make some really good pitches now- all he has to do is field the bunt and throw the runner out at 1st. Once he does that- you now have a more confident pitcher. He has gotten an out. 1st base is open so he knows he can still nibble corners and force the hitter to chase some balls. He feels good again because he knows with a few good pitches here- it will be two outs and he has the upper hand again.

While bunting does put runners on 2nd and 3rd to give you a chance to score 2 on a hit- I think it just totally decreases the amount of pressure on a pitcher once he gets that out on the bunt.

Again, I'm not arguing. What I'm basically trying to say is...in that situation, for most teams, bunting was the right decision. However, with our well documented history of not being able to drive in runs this season, it may be time to drop the book. However you look at it, either way we did not score a run and that's pitiful.

MarketingBully01
04-27-2014, 12:24 PM
We laugh at that every time announced. I'm not one to get on message boards and bash our teams, but to think this team is going to "break out" and start hitting balls all over the ball park is going to lead to a lot more disappointment for you. Let's put it another way....if you were the pitcher for the opposing team who in our lineup would you be afraid to pitch to?

It's genius marketing. You get your name plastered at every home game and you have no threat of having to give the car away because it will never happen. Kind of like the $1 billion prize for the NCAA tourney bracket challenge. That figure might as well be $1 trillion because no one ever will pick a perfect bracket.

DawgSaint
04-27-2014, 12:32 PM
It's genius marketing. You get your name plastered at every home game and you have no threat of having to give the car away because it will never happen. Kind of like the $1 billion prize for the NCAA tourney bracket challenge. That figure might as well be $1 trillion because no one ever will pick a perfect bracket.

No doubt! We have eight home runs all year and Rea hit all three of his in one game. So, really we have 5 home runs in roughly 40 games.

Todd4State
04-27-2014, 01:09 PM
Whatever you think about Hester personally, you can't deny he is a damn good HS baseball coach. I would have loved to have coached against him.

I'm a Stacy Hester fan as well.

Todd4State
04-27-2014, 01:16 PM

You also take yourself out of a double play by bunting, and there are more ways to score from third than there are from second. I think it increases the pressure. A fly ball is a run. A wild pitch/passed ball is a run. You have to worry about a squeeze play. You have to pitch a little more carefully with runners on second and third and one out than you do with runners on first and second, but really neither situation is great if you are a pitcher.

It depends on the hitters as well. If Rea is coming up, you are probably not going to want him to bunt, but if it's someone like CT you are probably going to be more likely to.

Todd4State
04-27-2014, 01:20 PM
It's understandable when you got your Jim's and Bart's orgasming everytime a runner gets on with no outs about the bunt. They love that shit. "Gotta play the bunt game here"

If it was so easy to do you wouldn't have the whole dugout up to celebrate a successful bunt like they do when a run scores. It should be expected. People congratulate an out more than a triple.

Well, the dugout can't exactly go run out to third base and dogpile in the middle of the inning while the game is going on like that.

Your hate of the bunt is over the top weird.

Todd4State
04-27-2014, 01:29 PM
Again, I'm not arguing. What I'm basically trying to say is...in that situation, for most teams, bunting was the right decision. However, with our well documented history of not being able to drive in runs this season, it may be time to drop the book. However you look at it, either way we did not score a run and that's pitiful.

No matter how you feel about bunting, asking our guys to get at least three hits in a row- four if Rea is running- is not a great idea for run production. Yes, there are other ways to do that besides bunting- like stealing, hit and running, etc. but bunting is part of that.

We need more guys like Collins, Humphreys, and some of these recruits that can hit with some power to come in.

People are focusing way too much on our bunting and not enough on our lack of extra base hits. When you have guys that can hit doubles and home runs- that's when you start to really put up big numbers. It also makes the pressure stuff that we do that much more effective.

Coach34
04-27-2014, 01:30 PM
You also take yourself out of a double play by bunting, and there are more ways to score from third than there are from second. I think it increases the pressure. A fly ball is a run. A wild pitch/passed ball is a run. You have to worry about a squeeze play. You have to pitch a little more carefully with runners on second and third and one out than you do with runners on first and second, but really neither situation is great if you are a pitcher.

It depends on the hitters as well. If Rea is coming up, you are probably not going to want him to bunt, but if it's someone like CT you are probably going to be more likely to.

But that is my point- a pitcher doesnt worry near as much about 1 run as he does a team scoring 5 runs. With 3 straight hits- he's worrying alot more about a crooked number being thrown on his ass.

Will James
04-27-2014, 01:43 PM
But that is my point- a pitcher doesnt worry near as much about 1 run as he does a team scoring 5 runs. With 3 straight hits- he's worrying alot more about a crooked number being thrown on his ass.

Bingo you don't win by throwing up 1's.

Todd4State
04-27-2014, 01:43 PM

But that goes back to our hitters. They don't get three straight hits very often. So, while everyone would love to have us score 5, the reality is we are more likely to either get 1 or none. Also in a second and third situation, just about any hit that we get is going to score 2 as opposed to only having one guy in scoring position. Otherwise it would take another two hits to get the run home.

But again, it basically comes down to who the hitter is and their abilities as a player and the game situation. CT is a good example- he's hitting .060 or something like that against LH pitching. So, if a LH pitcher is on the mound and you have a runner on second- the odds of the situation turning out better for us are for him to lay down a bunt. On the other hand, he's hitting like .350 or higher against RH pitching. So, in that situation you would let him swing away for the same reason- our odds of something good happening for us are better if he swings the bat in that case.

Todd4State
04-27-2014, 01:44 PM
Bingo you don't win by throwing up 1's.

You win even less throwing up zeros.

Will James
04-27-2014, 02:00 PM
You win even less throwing up zeros.

Are you incapable of understanding the odds and percentages that accompany this? It's been routinely played out for years now but you stick with it.

Weaker hitting teams.... Are hurt MORE.... By giving away outs....

HoopsDawg
04-27-2014, 02:05 PM
Are you incapable of understanding the odds and percentages that accompany this? It's been routinely played out for years now but you stick with it.

LOL, no joke.

Todd4State
04-27-2014, 02:28 PM

You mean the one that says that if we bunt our runners over to second and third we increase the chances of scoring as opposed to having runners on first and second and no outs? The one that doesn't take into account the results of bunts that go for hits or where the batter reaches on an error? Or the one that considers an unsuccessful bunt one where the guy doesn't get the ball down on the first pitch regardless of the fact that he gets it down on the second pitch?

And from the guy that still doesn't know what a drag bunt is and in this very thread got upset at our radio announcers for saying we should bunt. Yeah- I'm the incapable one here.**

If you think us hitting into a bunch of double plays and not maximizing the abilities of our current players is the way to go then more power to you. That's Croomesque.

Use my example of CT above and tell me what the stats say to do? For the record, that's not a made up random example of the top of my head. That is the actual true scenario. That's how coaches use stats to influence decisions. LH pitcher and we have a batter that is hitting .067 against them. And you want to swing away? Well, OK. RH pitcher, you definitely let him swing away. If it's Rea you probably let him hit regardless because he can't run very well. Your table is just one of many factors that a manager has to weigh out and then you put all the data together and you come up with the best decision.

That's why you can't just rely on one set of broad stats. You have to take into account the players that you have and what THEY are more likely to do as individuals. You have to take into account the defense. Pirtle got an easy single on a bunt because we caught them playing back. You want it to be black and white, but it's just simply not that way.

Bunting is just one part of it. We have to steal and we have to hit and run. Last year we had 59 stolen bases on the season. This year we have now equaled that total with 59 with three weeks and the postseason left. I don't have a hit and run stat, but my naked eye is telling me we are doing that more this year as well. We are not as good of a hitting team as we were last year, and we have to manufacture.

Todd4State
04-27-2014, 02:32 PM
And lost in this weekly bunt piss match is something that Shotgun said- we don't have any starting pitcher hitting over 92 on the gun.

I guarantee you that three years ago, we were counting on Woodruff and Lindgren being starters- and that has hurt us a lot as well. We averaged four runs a game, but the last two we allowed 6 runs. We have a good bullpen but we don't have a true legit SEC ace like an Aaron Nola.

Overreaction
04-27-2014, 02:34 PM
WE SUCK! FAHR COHENZ! MULLEN 2 BASEBALL!

msstate7
04-27-2014, 02:39 PM
And lost in this weekly bunt piss match is something that Shotgun said- we don't have any starting pitcher hitting over 92 on the gun.

I guarantee you that three years ago, we were counting on Woodruff and Lindgren being starters- and that has hurt us a lot as well. We averaged four runs a game, but the last two we allowed 6 runs. We have a good bullpen but we don't have a true legit SEC ace like an Aaron Nola.

Who does have an Aaron Nola? I get what you mean.

Do we expect Hudson, sexton, or Tatum to be that guy?

Will James
04-27-2014, 02:44 PM
Use my example of CT above and tell me what the stats say to do? For the record, that's not a made up random example of the top of my head. That is the actual true scenario. That's how coaches use stats to influence decisions. LH pitcher and we have a batter that is hitting .067 against them. And you want to swing away?

No I want a different hitter.

And from the guy that still doesn't know what a drag bunt is

You've gone back to this well time and time again and every time it is just as moronic. It literally is based in nothing.

Todd4State
04-27-2014, 02:48 PM
Who does have an Aaron Nola? I get what you mean.

Do we expect Hudson, sexton, or Tatum to be that guy?

I think any one of those three has the potential to be that guy. I just pray that Tommy John doesn't come around and steal them from us. I think Zac Houston and Jesse McCord have that kind of potential too. There is no question in my mind that our future is very bright.

Dawg61
04-27-2014, 02:52 PM

This in spades!! Stand aside Cohen and let the players play and quit with the constant lineup changes. There's no argument for it at this point in the season. We know the 6 best hitters vs righties AND lefties at this point and they should be in the same order 1-6 EVERY SINGLE GAME from here on. They can't get into rhythm or build chemistry with each other if there's someone different in front or behind you in the order every game. This is the single most counterproductive managing decision Cohen consistently does. Followed very closely by intentionally giving outs with two guys on. Pitching rotation mystery is probably third.

Todd4State
04-27-2014, 03:00 PM
No I want a different hitter.

You've gone back to this well time and time again and every time it is just as moronic. It literally is based in nothing.

So you want to hurt our defense in the outfield late in the game and not have CT available later for when they have a RH pitcher? Awesome managing.

And you are right- you are a moron. You don't know half of what's going on out there. You can either learn about what's going on or you can be just as inflexible as the old school managers that you deride- just on the opposite side of the spectrum. My comment about you not knowing the difference between drag bunting is not based on nothing- I assure you of that. It's based on your in game comments. I'm sorry you don't want to believe that- but it's true.

You couldn't manage a T-Ball team at the YMCA.

Will James
04-27-2014, 03:07 PM
So you want to hurt our defense in the outfield late in the game and not have CT available later for when they have a RH pitcher? Awesome managing.

And you are right- you are a moron. You don't know half of what's going on out there. You can either learn about what's going on or you can be just as inflexible as the old school managers that you deride- just on the opposite side of the spectrum. My comment about you not knowing the difference between drag bunting is not based on nothing- I assure you of that. It's based on your in game comments. I'm sorry you don't want to believe that- but it's true.

You couldn't manage a T-Ball team at the YMCA.

CT is not a superstar and you are the ONLY PERSON on this board talking about drag bunting. Here's your sign. You are so lost on this..

I seen it dawg
04-27-2014, 03:52 PM
Todd arguing with him is futile because his lack of knowledge of how the game of baseball actually works and is played. Not the game of paper numbers he plays in his head.

Will James
04-27-2014, 04:02 PM
Todd arguing with him is futile because his lack of knowledge of how the game of baseball actually works and is played. Not the game of paper numbers he plays in his head.

I guess Coach, Engie, Dawg61, and WMD plus many others are complete morons too

I seen it dawg
04-27-2014, 04:35 PM

I didn't say that. And I didn't say you were a complete moron although I may be wrong about that. I do say you don't KNOW the game of baseball but just numbers. Those numbers sometimes bear themselves out in games but not everything in the game of baseball is black and white which is how you argue it. It's wrong because the great game of baseball changes every pitch and while computers and numbers, albeit great advancements, are helpful...the game isn't always played that way. And you are incapable of arguing any other way which makes you narrow, obtuse, and truly uneducated about the sport.

Those other guys you mentioned actually are capable of seeing baseball how it is and that's gray. Baseball is not black and white which is the only way you see it and it's just wrong (which I believe Engie made that point awhile back as far as you but I may be wrong).

Will James
04-27-2014, 04:41 PM
I do say you don't KNOW the game of baseball but just numbers.

Link or use quotes to make a point please. That statement is meaningless dribble.

I seen it dawg
04-27-2014, 04:48 PM
Link or use quotes to make a point please. That statement is meaningless dribble.

No it's not. It's widely considered you don't KNOW the game. Ain't a whole lot of people on the old Will bandwagon. I don't argue angry at you anymore bc I finally figured out you don't know shit. And I don't have to go into the archives for me or anyone else to know it. You yourself are meaningless dribble.

tcdog70
04-27-2014, 05:06 PM
Been making this point for years now. Bunting hurts bad offensive teams EVEN MORE because they can't bail it out. See 2012.

Giving up an out and then depend on 220 hitter to knock him in is crazy. I might consider bunting if I just needed one run and I had a batter that was clutch .

RougeDawg
04-27-2014, 05:22 PM
Coach, the reason we can't hit with power, so to gap, are our swings. The worst collective group of swings I've ever seen on a college team, let alone a team that went to NCAA finals last year. If anyone wants to know the perfect swing, just go look up some of my previous posts. Pirtle, Armstrong and C Brown are the only 3 with swings that have good mechanics. The problem with Armstrong is, he never gets a rhythm is because Cohen insists on playing "Rusty Gate" Lolly Gagging Bradford. Cody Brown is just young.

Will James does know baseball. This team can't bunt because, once again, they don't do it correctly. You square your body with the pitcher and must get the bat out in front of your body and in front of the plate. You move the bat up and down the strike zone, by bending your knees. Bat out in front of plate makes all balls bunted downward go into fair play. We keep the bat back in the zone and stab at the ball with out hands.

All of these things I and other have mentioned come from lack of fundamental coaching, upperclassmen loyalty, and overthinking by one person. It's really not that difficult to figure out, for even those of you who don't know shit about baseball.

State82
04-27-2014, 05:22 PM
That's why you can't just rely on one set of broad stats. You have to take into account the players that you have and what THEY are more likely to do as individuals. You have to take into account the defense. Pirtle got an easy single on a bunt because we caught them playing back. You want it to be black and white, but it's just simply not that way.

Numbers are fun to look at, but sometimes they just are not definitive, particularly for every situation. That is the reason they play games on the field. They are much more relevant in the casino than on the baseball diamond. And they are much more relevant at the next level of baseball for sure. Just too many variables and human involvement. Sometimes you just gotta go with your gut feeling as a coach.

Todd4State
04-27-2014, 06:11 PM
CT is not a superstar and you are the ONLY PERSON on this board talking about drag bunting. Here's your sign. You are so lost on this..

Didn't you just accuse me of using a straw man earlier today and now you're going to say that CT is not the superstar I make him out to be? LOL. Irony at it's finest. So now- according to you saying someone is hitting .067 against LH pitching is annointing them a superstar?

This is yet ANOTHER good point that you don't understand baseball. I'm saying CT is a better defensive player than Demarcus and Derrick Armstrong- and if we had taken him out of the game, that's our two options left to play the centerfield. Taking him out would have meant that we had to keep Vickerson in the lineup. And in the process made us worse defensively late in the game. Essentially what it comes down to, Cohen made a decision to hit Collins with Heck on third rather than Vickerson with one out and a man on second.

Here's your sign to help you out with our bunting situation. We essentially only sacrifice in two situations for the most part. Either with men on first and second and no one out and a man on second and no one out. I'm sure you can dig through the box scores and find a few instances where we sacrificed other times- but the majority of the time that is the two times that we are sac bunting. The other times when we are bunting it's with a fast runner trying to bunt for a hit and occasionally we will try a squeeze play. There are times where we will square around to show bunt to draw the third baseman in, but we're not trying to bunt. I've seen you whine like a girl over pretty much each situation.

Keep tightening the noose around your neck.

Todd4State
04-27-2014, 06:13 PM

They agree with me a lot as well.

Todd4State
04-27-2014, 06:18 PM
Numbers are fun to look at, but sometimes they just are not definitive, particularly for every situation. That is the reason they play games on the field. They are much more relevant in the casino than on the baseball diamond. And they are much more relevant at the next level of baseball for sure. Just too many variables and human involvement. Sometimes you just gotta go with your gut feeling as a coach.

Very true and I totally agree.

Numbers are very helpful, but it's like anything else. The more data that you have the more informed opinion that you can have on a decision. Managers in baseball have to integrate everything pretty quickly to make what they feel is the best decision. Numbers also aren't foolproof. There is always a percentage of failure as well as a percentage of success.

You have to understand what the numbers are saying and then apply them. Otherwise you're just a guy with a calculator.

Will James
04-27-2014, 06:44 PM
Didn't you just accuse me of using a straw man earlier today and now you're going to say that CT is not the superstar I make him out to be? LOL. Irony at it's finest. So now- according to you saying someone is hitting .067 against LH pitching is annointing them a superstar?

This is yet ANOTHER good point that you don't understand baseball. I'm saying CT is a better defensive player than Demarcus and Derrick Armstrong- and if we had taken him out of the game, that's our two options left to play the centerfield. Taking him out would have meant that we had to keep Vickerson in the lineup. And in the process made us worse defensively late in the game. Essentially what it comes down to, Cohen made a decision to hit Collins with Heck on third rather than Vickerson with one out and a man on second.

Here's your sign to help you out with our bunting situation. We essentially only sacrifice in two situations for the most part. Either with men on first and second and no one out and a man on second and no one out. I'm sure you can dig through the box scores and find a few instances where we sacrificed other times- but the majority of the time that is the two times that we are sac bunting. The other times when we are bunting it's with a fast runner trying to bunt for a hit and occasionally we will try a squeeze play. There are times where we will square around to show bunt to draw the third baseman in, but we're not trying to bunt. I've seen you whine like a girl over pretty much each situation.

Keep tightening the noose around your neck.

You trade all of Armatrongs game for CT there. And probably half of our sacs have been the man on first no out variety otherwise known as the most idiotic play in baseball.

Will James
04-27-2014, 06:50 PM
Todd you're problem is you try to come up with some plausible rationale for blatant Cohen stupidity. That would be okay if you weren't on such a high horse after continued losing. The numbers AND results are against you and John.

blacklistedbully
04-28-2014, 05:30 PM

You forgot me. I'm a moron too for being right about not getting too caught up in the sweep of Mizzou before seeing how we did through the TAMU series.***

I was too "uninformed" to realize how much better we were playing. I was too "negative" for suggesting it might make more sense to see how we did versus the better teams of OM and TAMU. I'm a bad, uninformed fan who really needs the "baseball experts" here to instruct me on what a valid opinion is on the matter.

Todd4State
04-28-2014, 05:36 PM
Todd you're problem is you try to come up with some plausible rationale for blatant Cohen stupidity. That would be okay if you weren't on such a high horse after continued losing. The numbers AND results are against you and John.

You mean these results?

2011- SR appearance
2012- SEC Tournament Championship
2013- CWS Finals
2014- On pace to have the most SEC wins during Cohen's tenure.

Yep- the results are against me and John alright.** But hey, you're the guy that would rather have a SEC Championship over going to Omaha and thinks that the MLB season is 164 games long.

The real issue here is I am plausible and you are too stupid to realize any better.

Todd4State
04-28-2014, 05:38 PM
You forgot me. I'm a moron too for being right about not getting too caught up in the sweep of Mizzou before seeing how we did through the TAMU series.***

I was too "uninformed" to realize how much better we were playing. I was too "negative" for suggesting it might make more sense to see how we did versus the better teams of OM and TAMU. I'm a bad, uninformed fan who really needs the "baseball experts" here to instruct me on what a valid opinion is on the matter.

Well at least you are starting to come around.

Todd4State
04-28-2014, 05:48 PM
You trade all of Armatrongs game for CT there. And probably half of our sacs have been the man on first no out variety otherwise known as the most idiotic play in baseball.

Who is Armatrong?** CT is better defensively in CF than Armstrong. Sorry. And that move would not be the best move because it would have forced Vickerson to stay in the game which would have weakened our outfield defense even more. Again Will- big picture- you don't see it and don't get it.

And your second sentence further reinforces that you either don't know the difference between bunting for a hit or don't watch the team play.

blacklistedbully
04-28-2014, 05:51 PM
Well at least you are starting to come around.

You're just taking the bait, Todd. Keep showing the folks here what an ass you've become. A bunch of us who used to like and respect you have done a 180 on you, pal. And it's not because you're opinion differs from ours, it's because your apparent conceit has led you to think you are the Holy Grail of MSU baseball, and you have the right to tell the rest of us how out-of-touch we are when we don't share your opinion.

blacklistedbully
04-28-2014, 05:57 PM
And I will go ahead and admit you know far more about baseball than I do. I'm a rugby player, not a baseball player. But I am fully capable of having a valid opinion about our team, and am more than capable of being sometimes right about my thoughts on our team while you're not. Doesn't make you any less a more informed baseball man than I, but your attitude and the way you get condescending on some of us makes you an informed baseball asshole who isn't man enough to simply admit when he may have had something wrong and the other guy had a good point after all.

Todd4State
04-28-2014, 06:07 PM
You're just taking the bait, Todd. Keep showing the folks here what an ass you've become. A bunch of us who used to like and respect you have done a 180 on you, pal. And it's not because you're opinion differs from ours, it's because your apparent conceit has led you to think you are the Holy Grail of MSU baseball, and you have the right to tell the rest of us how out-of-touch we are when we don't share your opinion.

Put your big girl panties on. I'm not the one showing my ass. You are.

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. But I'm not sorry about my opinion, or anything I said.

If you don't like that, respect that, don't like my attitude, don't like what I say- whatever TOUGH.

I said Mizzou is better than you are giving them credit for, backed it up, and now you are acting like a fool.

blacklistedbully
04-28-2014, 06:34 PM
Put your big girl panties on. I'm not the one showing my ass. You are.

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. But I'm not sorry about my opinion, or anything I said.

If you don't like that, respect that, don't like my attitude, don't like what I say- whatever TOUGH.

I said Mizzou is better than you are giving them credit for, backed it up, and now you are acting like a fool.

Man, I got another hit on that bait! And you call me the fool.

Yep, you sure proved that Mizzou team, the one that just got swept for the second straight series, is a better team than I was giving them credit for.

Noticed you completely left out the part where what I said appears to have been proved more accurate, that Mizzou is not a good ballclub, and that, though I was happy and "cautiously optimistic" about the sweep, I thought we should consider the jury still out on our team as a regional hosting contender or as having "turned the corner" after the meeting following the OM series loss, until we see how we performed through the TAMU series.

For those on this thread who aren't in on this pissing match, it really boiled down to this:

I responded to a post that declared our baseball fortunes turned for the better as a result of that Mizzou sweep. I said IMO we should wait before proclaiming ourselves back on track until we did it versus some good teams, not bad ones like Alcorn State & Mizzou.

Todd got his panties all in a wad and proceeded to tell me exactly why I was so uninformed, and how Mizzou was actually a good team, and that we had clearly shown we'd figured it out, etc, etc. And when Todd starts PMSing, watch out!

How dare any of us take an opinion on our baseball team not blessed by the Todd, High Lord of Baseball at MSU? Even worse, how dare someone return to a thread to remind Todd about out exchange prior to the TAMU series loss?

Of course, His Holiness still doesn't accept that we lost the TAMU series. No, the ump lost it for us. It had nothing to do with the way we've been playing or the curious decision-making that's occurred in games, etc.

The irony here is I'm a guy who was simply saying, "Hey let's hold off on the proclamations a bit until we actually start beating some good teams consistently, and had also stated that I thought we'd go into the Bama series up 1 game, fighting for a regional host spot, and that we'd take the series from Bama. But hey. according to Todd, I'm excessively negative because I didn't want to give too much credit for the sweep of Mizzou.

And Todd thinks I'm the one who sounds like a fool. :rolleyes:

Todd4State
04-28-2014, 07:06 PM
Man, I got another hit on that bait! And you call me the fool.

Well, if you keep proving it over and over....

Yep, you sure proved that Mizzou team, the one that just got swept for the second straight series, is a better team than I was giving them credit for.

On the road to the hottest team in the SEC. We're still the only SEC team that has swept them in Columbia to date. Not to mention that half my family is from Missouri and that's where my Dad wanted to play college baseball, so I would say odds are I'm a little bit more familiar with them and teams in the Midwest than you are. They are the worst team in the SEC. As I said before on a NATIONAL level they are not as bad as you are making them out to be. You made it sound like sweeping them was easy and was to be expected. It wasn't. In fact the road team to this point has only pulled off a sweep TWICE. Ole Miss vs. Kentucky and guess what- us vs. Mizzou.

Noticed you completely left out the part where what I said appears to have been proved more accurate, that Mizzou is not a good ballclub, and that, though I was happy and "cautiously optimistic" about the sweep, I thought we should consider the jury still out on our team as a regional hosting contender or as having "turned the corner" after the meeting following the OM series loss, until we see how we performed through the TAMU series.

You put down our team's accomplishment and Mizzou's team. You should have been called out for that. I did. You got your feelings hurt. Again- congrats. It took us throwing a hurt pitcher and a crappy umpire to make you "right". The REAL truth is we won't know anything about turning the corner until the season is over.

For those on this thread who aren't in on this pissing match, it really boiled down to this:

I responded to a post that declared our baseball fortunes turned for the better as a result of that Mizzou sweep. I said IMO we should wait before proclaiming ourselves back on track until we did it versus some good teams, not bad ones like Alcorn State & Mizzou.

Todd got his panties all in a wad and proceeded to tell me exactly why I was so uninformed, and how Mizzou was actually a good team, and that we had clearly shown we'd figured it out, etc, etc. And when Todd starts PMSing, watch out!

How dare any of us take an opinion on our baseball team not blessed by the Todd, High Lord of Baseball at MSU? Even worse, how dare someone return to a thread to remind Todd about out exchange prior to the TAMU series loss?

Because they are butthurt?

Of course, His Holiness still doesn't accept that we lost the TAMU series. No, the ump lost it for us. It had nothing to do with the way we've been playing or the curious decision-making that's occurred in games, etc.

We're 6-2 our last 8 games. Including our best win to date. I've accepted that we've lost the Texas A&M series, but there are some things that are out of our control. If I blame an umpire, you better believe it's legit.

Not that this particular umpire hasn't had a well known beef with Cohen in the past.

http://sdnmsu.wordpress.com/2010/03/31/umpire-vs-head-coach-rivalry-brewing/

The irony here is I'm a guy who was simply saying, "Hey let's hold off on the proclamations a bit until we actually start beating some good teams consistently, and had also stated that I thought we'd go into the Bama series up 1 game, fighting for a regional host spot, and that we'd take the series from Bama. But hey. according to Todd, I'm excessively negative because I didn't want to give too much credit for the sweep of Mizzou.

And Todd thinks I'm the one who sounds like a fool. :rolleyes:

No- the irony here is you claim to be a tough rugby player.

I'm sorry- if you put down our team by disrespecting what they have done on the field, I'm going to call you out. I don't really care if you like it or agree with it or not. You have NO IDEA how hard it is to play baseball, and no clue how hard it is to sweep anyone in the SEC on the road. Our guys are busting their ass and won six games in a row- and you have the gall to pull this off?

You think you are making me look bad with your "bait" or whatever. But I'm telling you right now- YOU are the one making a complete ass out of yourself. I'm not bowing down to you either, so you can forget that. I wasn't even mad at you, and AGAIN I didn't even call you out to start with. I don't think you even know what you are sounding like right now.

Todd4State
04-28-2014, 07:09 PM
Oh and speaking of "bait"- you've pretty much completely proved my point about our fans that would rather be "right" than have our team succeed.

WeWonItAll(Most)
04-28-2014, 07:13 PM

No, just you

Lefthandersrule
04-28-2014, 09:10 PM
No, just you

Really? What do you provide?