PDA

View Full Version : CWS final must be the kiss of death.

State82
04-26-2014, 10:27 PM
UCLA is 22-19 and just got swept at home by unranked USC. They were up 4-0 today and gave up 7 in the 9th. Seems like "stuff" happens to even the best. The national champions included.

Todd4State
04-26-2014, 10:36 PM
I have seen a similar trend in MLB and high school baseball as well. You win a championship and I think what happens is you have everyone telling you how awesome you are and I think there is a tendency to not work as hard and along with that I think the opposition really comes after you to get payback. I think we saw that against LSU and Ole Miss, and then I think we actually kind of used that and turned the tables on Ole Miss in the Governor's Cup a little bit.

I'm not going to sit here and say that you can't have a good season after going to or winning a championship- but I do think it's a lot harder.

State82
04-26-2014, 11:35 PM
I would agree. Don't know if its complacency, arrogance or what, but I think such a situation breeds a mental aspect detrimental to success the following year. Unless you are LSU, South Carolina or Oregon St.

Quaoarsking
04-26-2014, 11:51 PM
College baseball simply isn't a sport that sees dynasties. South Carolina's streak is a rare exception, not something that happens very often at all. We'll be back in Omaha plenty of times during Cohen's tenure. It's just not going to happen every single year.

Homedawg
04-27-2014, 12:05 AM
I have seen a similar trend in MLB and high school baseball as well. You win a championship and I think what happens is you have everyone telling you how awesome you are and I think there is a tendency to not work as hard and along with that I think the opposition really comes after you to get payback. I think we saw that against LSU and Ole Miss, and then I think we actually kind of used that and turned the tables on Ole Miss in the Governor's Cup a little bit.

I'm not going to sit here and say that you can't have a good season after going to or winning a championship- but I do think it's a lot harder.
I think more as rule, when a team makes the finals they typically are experienced and the following year they have lost key players that are hard to replaced. I think we fit this mold. I said a year ago when half of the internet ass clowns wanted Frazier benched, we had our greatest ss ever. And that stands true. Hard to replace a great player and renfroe wAsnt a slouch either.

Todd4State
04-27-2014, 01:30 AM
I think more as rule, when a team makes the finals they typically are experienced and the following year they have lost key players that are hard to replaced. I think we fit this mold. I said a year ago when half of the internet ass clowns wanted Frazier benched, we had our greatest ss ever. And that stands true. Hard to replace a great player and renfroe wAsnt a slouch either.

I think that's a good point. Experience is best thing that you can have in your favor in the postseason IMO.

BulldogBear
04-27-2014, 11:40 AM

I agree. You get hot at the right time, play really well, and get to thinking all you might have to do is show up. I guess you could say it misleads you into believing you're something you're not. Result is you don't work as hard, don't wake up quick enough to the reality, then rebell against that reality for a bit. I can't see inside their heads of course but I see the fruit.

"Quack"

HereComesTheSpiral
04-27-2014, 12:19 PM

Frazier and Renfroe are extremely hard to replace, but I think the biggest losses from last year are Graveman and Girodo. They might not be the biggest losses productivity wise, but their leadership is what you cant replace. Thats really what this is lacking more than anything. You have a team captain that looks completely disinterested to be here, a lot of young players trying to find a spot to fill, and a serious injury problem to the pitching staff. All of that equals a disaster waiting to happen.

MarketingBully01
04-27-2014, 12:28 PM
UCLA is 22-19 and just got swept at home by unranked USC. They were up 4-0 today and gave up 7 in the 9th. Seems like "stuff" happens to even the best. The national champions included.

Yeah, but at the end of the day they won the national championship and we didn't. If we had won the national championship last year, I wouldn't give a rats ass how we did this year because hey we would have won the national championship the year before. For the life of me, I still do not understand pitching Kendel Graveman against OSU and not holding him for the first game of the championship series. Was a dumb move and will be the biggest "what if" in MSU history.