PDA

View Full Version : Good article on our defense. Sprouts serious wool

GreenheadDawg
04-26-2014, 09:58 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/82262/mississippi-states-defense-poised-for-growth-spurt

Lloyd Christmas
04-26-2014, 10:59 PM
Holy shit sheer me.

BeardoMSU
04-26-2014, 11:03 PM
http://cannablogna.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/marine-style-haircut.gif?w=474

smootness
04-27-2014, 12:41 AM
The keys to me are Justin Cox and Nick James...and when I say 'keys', I mean something more similar to x-factors, the guys who could take us from very, very good to ridiculous.

We know what our DEs will be - very solid, possibly really good. We know we'll have very good play at DT with a budding superstar in Chris Jones. We know what our LBs will be - big, fast, athletic, all over the place. We know our corners will be very athletic and good. If Nick James plays hard, keeps a good head on his shoulders, and lives up to his potential, we will be the best DL in the conference. And if Justin Cox is comfortable enough that his natural athletic ability shows up, our secondary goes over to the top into shutdown territory, and suddenly we have as good a defense as anyone in the country is capable of putting on the field.

thf24
04-27-2014, 12:58 AM
The keys to me are Justin Cox and Nick James...and when I say 'keys', I mean something more similar to x-factors, the guys who could take us from very, very good to ridiculous.

We know what our DEs will be - very solid, possibly really good. We know we'll have very good play at DT with a budding superstar in Chris Jones. We know what our LBs will be - big, fast, athletic, all over the place. We know our corners will be very athletic and good. If Nick James plays hard, keeps a good head on his shoulders, and lives up to his potential, we will be the best DL in the conference. And if Justin Cox is comfortable enough that his natural athletic ability shows up, our secondary goes over to the top into shutdown territory, and suddenly we have as good a defense as anyone in the country is capable of putting on the field.

Especially agree on Nick James. If he plays to his potential, opposing teams will still be scratching their heads at the end of games trying to figure out who the **** they should have double teamed.

DapperDawg
04-27-2014, 08:47 AM
Some of you need to temper your expectations, or you may be in for a baseball-esque meltdown. Our D will be good, but not elite or tops in the SEC. I think we'll be somewhere in the 4-6 range in the SEC ranks.

HoopsDawg
04-27-2014, 09:51 AM

We know what our DEs will be - very solid, possibly really good. We know we'll have very good play at DT with a budding superstar in Chris Jones.

I like our LB's, corners, and DT's. Our safeties and DE's are question marks. We lack an impact pass rusher.

Maroons
04-27-2014, 10:11 AM
Some of you need to temper your expectations, or you may be in for a baseball-esque meltdown. Our D will be good, but not elite or tops in the SEC. I think we'll be somewhere in the 4-6 range in the SEC ranks.

We were in that range last year and return 19 of 22. Plus no Manziel, Mettenberger, or McCarron.

codeDawg
04-27-2014, 10:21 AM

We have potentially the best DT's in the SEC. A first rounder at MLB. Corners that Dan things are as good, or better than Banks and Slay were. Decent talent at S at DE.

We were #4 in total and scoring defense last year (behind Alabama, Florida, and LSU), and we will be better this year with experience, schedule, and a more mature offense. With LSU's attrition, we have the potential to have a better D than LSU this year.

esplanade91
04-27-2014, 10:41 AM
I don't know if we're better at corner now than with Banks and Slay, but Taveze is more physical than Banks and we have so many starters that there isn't a drop off. Seemed like during Banks entire career there was a good other corner but when those 2 took a couple snaps off we got roasted. Especially by Love. Who has matured into a good player now who's FASTER than Slay. Crazy.

Secondary has a floor of good and a ceiling of top 3 in the conference. We'll see how everyone meshes.

Pollodawg
04-27-2014, 10:59 AM

We were in this range last season. If the D stays there, that will be a failure for this team.....

bulldawg28
04-27-2014, 12:54 PM
If Cox stays disciplined we'll be top 5 in the country easily.

Pollodawg
04-27-2014, 01:37 PM
If Cox stays disciplined we'll be top 5 in the country easily.

Aren't they moving him back to safety, which where he should be. He can play a Nicko role, but be better in coverage than Nickoe was, was at least in his last season when he was hurt.

msstate7
04-27-2014, 01:42 PM
Aren't they moving him back to safety, which where he should be. He can play a Nicko role, but be better in coverage than Nickoe was, was at least in his last season when he was hurt.

Cox's disappointing year at cb last year will make him an even better safety (natural position). I think cox is gonna have a huge year.

defiantdog
04-27-2014, 01:44 PM
Last year, our defense gave up an average of 23 points per game. They sure as hell better be improved. And they shouldn't give up 59 to LSU and 51 to A&M this year either.

The DE position will be better this year. I think losing Autry is honestly a blessing. That guy pinched every play.... he never covered the edge. We have Jefferson, Brown, and Smith.... who have all matured better than we expected. Not to mention McKinney, Antoine, Harris, and both Brown's coming off the edge at times.

And this year, we have speed at safety and experience on the corners. And yes, the corners are better than Slay and Banks because we move them around without worries on who's covering who. Hell, our linebackers are fast enough and skilled enough to drop in coverage. Redmond, Calhoun, Love, Jiles, Sills (to be determined), and Cleveland can all hold their own.

Pollodawg
04-27-2014, 01:45 PM
Cox's disappointing year at cb last year will make him an even better safety (natural position). I think cox is gonna have a huge year.

He has the build an mentality for it. Feed that mean mofo gunpowder before every game. People don't realize the different mental attributes you have to have in order play safety as compared to corner. They're both DBs, but other than that, it's apples and oranges.

Coach34
04-27-2014, 02:25 PM

So our defense- which was 4th last year and returns 10 starters from our bowl game shouldnt be expected to improve?

bulldawg28
04-27-2014, 02:27 PM

The busts he had in coverage last year showed he didn't know the defense as he should. If he does that at safety it's an easy 6.

Coach34
04-27-2014, 02:30 PM
We lack an impact pass rusher.

Look for McKinney to do some edge rushing this season

Coach34
04-27-2014, 02:32 PM
The busts he had in coverage last year showed he didn't know the defense as he should. If he does that at safety it's an easy 6.

Cox was a much better player the last 1/3 of the season. We just seem to have a transition problem early on with our jucos- but then they come on strong.

msstate7
04-27-2014, 02:34 PM
Cox was a much better player the last 1/3 of the season. We just seem to have a transition problem early on with our jucos- but then they come on strong.

Hopefully will Coleman gets it quickly.

HoopsDawg
04-27-2014, 02:39 PM
Look for McKinney to do some edge rushing this season

I hope so. I don't like taking him off the field in passing situations, but he is not great in coverage. It only makes sense for him to play DE on pass downs and let Wells and B. Brown play LB. I called for this all last year.

bulldawg28
04-27-2014, 02:39 PM

I agree. However, I still remember the last time he did it during the A&M game when he just turned the WR over to nobody running free down the sideline.

HoopsDawg
04-27-2014, 02:40 PM
Hopefully will Coleman gets it quickly.

I'm not expecting much here. He didn't graduate Juco in time to participate in spring drills. He wasn't that highly recruited. And Turner said he needs to get stronger this summer. He only weighs about 240. McKinney is a much better DE than this guy.

shoeless joe
04-27-2014, 02:44 PM

Bad comparison. In baseball we needed role players to step up and be stars but didn't have that talent and ability. Our D this year already has the guys that have shown they can get it done in this league. Should be interesting to see.

HoopsDawg
04-27-2014, 02:44 PM
I agree. However, I still remember the last time he did it during the A&M game when he just turned the WR over to nobody running free down the sideline.

Cox should have never played corner. That was another personnel mistake by our staff. Cox was an All-American Safety in Juco. I do agree that his assignments need to be simplified. He is much better in man-free when we have Redmond, Calhoun and Love in there at corner and Cox can just get deep and read the play. He has tons of range, speed, and jumping ability and he has very good ball skills. The mental side of the game is the only thing that could hold him back at S. That's why I wished he would have been there all last year.

HoopsDawg
04-27-2014, 02:50 PM
Bad comparison. In baseball we needed role players to step up and be stars but didn't have that talent and ability. Our D this year already has the guys that have shown they can get it done in this league. Should be interesting to see.

I agree, bad comparison by Dapper. Some people's expectations got out of hand in baseball because of the great run in the NCAAT. But in reality, we lost our Friday night starter + our 2 best players-by far- in Hunter and Frazier. In football, our expectations are a result of the schedule as much as anything. We should have 6 wins just by showing up. Then you throw in 19 returning starters from the bowl game plus a legitimate QB who fits Mullen's system and the expectations for 8-10 wins is certainly reasonable.