PDA

View Full Version : Men's softball

Cabo32
04-26-2014, 04:14 PM
Any of you guys play in any leagues? I've played in the past when buddies needed someone to fill in but I've never been one to give a full commitment to play 2-3 nights a week..well it's been about 2 years since I've played and a friend texted me Thursday asking if I would come to the field..I figured what the hell..beats going to the gym and gives me an excuse to drink some cold beer. So I get off of work...buy a 12 pack and head to the field.. Well...holy shit...talk about a cluster ****. We played 2 games...1st game is against some juco baseball players. I think their head coach would have been pissed if he knew they were playing rec softball and their season isn't over yet..but anyways, they acted like.....well...juco baseball players...total fn d-bags...god damn flat bills...pretty sure they thought Cohen was in the bleachers scouting their ability to hit a softball...what was great is we beat the ****ers...apparently you only get 5 homeruns and every homerun after that is an out...they got 6 or 7 runs off of their 5 homeruns...it was pretty damn fun watching these 18 and 19 year olds acting like bitches bc the "old men" beat them...

On to game two...this is where the **** that is clustered begins...these guys were wearing ****ing baseball pants....a guy on their team hit a liner back at our pitcher because he kept throwing it outside...he purposely put a mans life in risk of injury bc he was tossing a giant ball at an amazing speed of 20mph on the outside part of the plate...words were exchanged and I went from mad to laughing hysterically when someone on their team yelled "this is bullshit, some of us take this stuff serious and y'all are out here drinking beer and cutting up"...I was talking to a player on that team that seemed grounded enough to have a conversation with...guy said they play softball 5-7 days a week...I felt bad for these guys...I mean that's pathetic right? But all in all next time I get call to make a jump to "the show" that is men's rec league softball...I think I'm going to have to grab a few gatorades to go along with that 12 pack of beer...Because, god damn I'm out of shape

Political Hack
04-28-2014, 01:37 PM
haven't played in years... but it nevert got that serious. I played in a co-ed league which seems to keep it much more laid back. our "coach" said I was the only softball head case he'd ever "coached." If he batted me 4th, I'd hit home runs. If he batted me later in the lineup, he was getting singles.

Goat Holder
04-28-2014, 02:13 PM
I used to play, but I never understood it. The catcher position is basically useless. I wish they'd let you steal. No leadoff or anything, but if the other team is f*cking around, you can steal. Gives the catcher a reason to stay in the game and not let 100 pass balls go by.

The really good teams only hit home runs when the bases are loaded.

Maroonthirteen
04-30-2014, 02:28 PM
but played many years before that. Anyway.....my best story.......

I started a team at work. Just whoever wanted to play. Well, one guy, evidently, never got a chance to play organized baseball as a kid. It showed the first game. The guy dressed the part......it was rec league. We wore a jersey but whatever shorts and hat you wanted. Well, this poor guy shows up in an air-bushed hat with our company name matching the font on the jersey. he had matching baseball pants and cleats. He had two batting gloves. That of course hung out his back pockets perfectly when he wasn't at the plate. Well, about third at bat into the game this guy finally gets a hit. He is on first. Im happy for him. Well, the dumbass had not been paying much attention. Because as the pitcher is on the rubber, he takes a lead like Ricky Henderson. Before I can say anything, the ball is pitched and the UMP yells, "NO PITCH, NO PITCH. MAN ON FIRST! YOU ARE OUT. Taking a lead." Dude just hung his head fitted with his airbushed hat and ran back to the dugout.

I felt bad for the guy. He toned it down and figured out how to hit later in the year.

Political Hack
04-30-2014, 06:41 PM
that's gold. I felt for the guy while reading that.