PDA

View Full Version : Haven't looked at the stats but it "feels" like Britton is picking up lately

Leroy Jenkins
04-25-2014, 07:32 PM
I see anything we get from him at the plate as a bonus though.

Coach34
04-25-2014, 09:09 PM
He's raised his average 60-70 points the last couple of weeks

MarketingBully01
04-25-2014, 10:14 PM
He has done very well this weekend. We can make a run if we can settle on the lineup that has gotten us there. We need to stop this lineup for Right hand and left hand pitching. Heck also needs to lead off. He is a good lead off hitter.

Coach34
04-25-2014, 10:17 PM
We need to stop this lineup for Right hand and left hand pitching.

You do know that John Cohen is our coach right? The match-up line-ups are not going to stop till he retires from Miss State

#Cohening

MarketingBully01
04-25-2014, 10:26 PM
He never did it this much last year at this point of the season to this degree. He completely turned the lineup upside down for the second game which is why we struggled .

Todd4State
04-25-2014, 10:32 PM
He has done very well this weekend. We can make a run if we can settle on the lineup that has gotten us there. We need to stop this lineup for Right hand and left hand pitching. Heck also needs to lead off. He is a good lead off hitter.

We basically have settled on the lineup. The batting order certainly changes, but we've been pretty consistent.

C- Collins
1B- Rea
2B- Pirtle
3B- Britton
SS- Heck
LF- Armstrong/Vickerson
CF- CT
RF- Demarcus/Cody Brown
DH- Detz

And then occasionally we will DH Reid Humphreys. So, we're basically platooning 2 arguably 3 guys. I think the "settled" lineup thing is incredibly overrated. If playing guys that hit a certain handed pitcher gives you an advantage, I think you do that. They talked about dropping Rea last night on the game, and Dave Neal asked about dropping Rea and what that does to his confidence and etc. Chris Burke responded that dropping Rea was a good idea because it actually allowed him to relax. If we kept hitting him third, he might still be struggling and our offense might still be struggling. Players are going to have peaks and valleys and I think you play whomever is the hottest in a spot that benefits your team the most- which is why Gavin Collins has been hitting fourth and fifth a lot lately.

It just seems to me that maybe the settled lineup thing is more for some of our fans own personal comfort than anything else.

Todd4State
04-25-2014, 10:39 PM
He never did it this much last year at this point of the season to this degree. He completely turned the lineup upside down for the second game which is why we struggled .

Not really.

C- Slauter/Ammirati- they platooned until Slauter got hurt. Otherwise, that would have continued.
1B- Rea
2B- Pirtle
3B- Detz/Frost- how could you forget this?
SS- Frazier
LF- Demarcus
CF- CT
RF Renfroe
DH- Detz

With some random appearances by Derrick Armstrong, Trey Porter who would have played more if he wasn't hurt, Daryl Norris, and Jacob Robson. Three out of those four guys got over 20 starts and Armstrong has 16 with 39 games played total.

MarketingBully01
04-25-2014, 10:49 PM
We basically have settled on the lineup. The batting order certainly changes, but we've been pretty consistent.

C- Collins
1B- Rea
2B- Pirtle
3B- Britton
SS- Heck
LF- Armstrong/Vickerson
CF- CT
RF- Demarcus/Cody Brown
DH- Detz

And then occasionally we will DH Reid Humphreys. So, we're basically platooning 2 arguably 3 guys. I think the "settled" lineup thing is incredibly overrated. If playing guys that hit a certain handed pitcher gives you an advantage, I think you do that. They talked about dropping Rea last night on the game, and Dave Neal asked about dropping Rea and what that does to his confidence and etc. Chris Burke responded that dropping Rea was a good idea because it actually allowed him to relax. If we kept hitting him third, he might still be struggling and our offense might still be struggling. Players are going to have peaks and valleys and I think you play whomever is the hottest in a spot that benefits your team the most- which is why Gavin Collins has been hitting fourth and fifth a lot lately.

It just seems to me that maybe the settled lineup thing is more for some of our fans own personal comfort than anything else.

In my opinion, I thought that shuffling the batting order like we did did have an impact at least early on. We really did not get to their starter and allowed him to settle in.

Todd, I respect your opinion.

You take a hot bat like Heck has been and move him to sixth where you have Vickerson hitting behind him? Brown struggled at the plate tonight and never really got it going at the lead off spot tonight. Play Brown sixth, put Armstrong seventh and lead Heck off and I have no problems with our lineup.

We never changed the top of the order last year like we have this year (mainly the lead off spot which is one of the more important spots). I like where we have everyone else and when Rea starts hitting move him to fifth and move everyone else down. If he does this, I would say our lineup will be effective regardless of who is pitching.

Todd4State
04-25-2014, 11:00 PM
The batting order most certainly did kill us tonight. You take a hot bat like Heck has been and move him to sixth where you have Vickerson hitting behind him? Brown struggled at the plate tonight and never really got it going at the lead off spot tonight. Play Brown sixth, put Armstrong seventh and lead Heck off and I have no problems with our lineup. We never changed the top of the order last year like we have this year (mainly the lead off spot which is one of the more important spots). I like where we have everyone else and when Rea starts hitting move him to fifth and move everyone else down. If he does this, I would say our lineup will be effective regardless of who is pitching.

We allowed six runs tonight. It's hard to win doing that. We had 11 hits- and one of our hottest hitters in Gavin Collins didn't come through like he has been lately. Not faulting him- that happens in baseball and he did have a sac fly later in the game. If he comes through in one of those two situations, we have at least five runs. That and Ross are what hurt us tonight. Not the lineup.

Brown has been playing very well lately. Heck, he even hit a home run today. He's someone that makes things happen and he brings a lot of energy to the team. Putting Seth Heck near the bottom behind some of our other hot hitters to drive them in? Not exactly a horrible idea. Especially when you consider that Rea and Britton are starting to hit the ball well.

We never changed the top of the order because we had Adam Frazier last year who was one of the top hitters in school history. We don't have that this year.

MarketingBully01
04-25-2014, 11:08 PM
We allowed six runs tonight. It's hard to win doing that. We had 11 hits- and one of our hottest hitters in Gavin Collins didn't come through like he has been lately. Not faulting him- that happens in baseball and he did have a sac fly later in the game. If he comes through in one of those two situations, we have at least five runs. That and Ross are what hurt us tonight. Not the lineup.

Brown has been playing very well lately. Heck, he even hit a home run today. He's someone that makes things happen and he brings a lot of energy to the team. Putting Seth Heck near the bottom behind some of our other hot hitters to drive them in? Not exactly a horrible idea. Especially when you consider that Rea and Britton are starting to hit the ball well.

We never changed the top of the order because we had Adam Frazier last year who was one of the top hitters in school history. We don't have that this year.

I see what you are saying and I changed my post accordingly however I think Heck is a better lead off hitter regardless of who is pitching. I agree we should be playing Brown instead of Henderson but we should put Brown lower in the lineup and have Heck at the top. Getting on the board early is a huge advantage and I like Heck, Detz, Pirtle, and Collins as the top 4 . Once Rea starts hitting, move him 5th then put Brown sixth with Bradford, Armstrong, and Britton as the last three.