PDA

View Full Version : Who would you finish today's game 1 with?

Coach34
04-25-2014, 08:54 AM
Lindy?
Bracewell?
Holder?

Makes it tough because of tomorrow and tonight's game as well. I personally don't like using a pitcher in Game 1- then turning around and using them again in Game 2. So I would:

use Lindgren to finish them off today. Close them out and finish them off- got to win the game at hand. Then we have Ross and Holder for tonight's game.

Sunday I start Woody again with Bracewell. Laster, and the other guy from Tuesday ready. I also assess where we are with Lindy and Holder after today

DownwardDawg
04-25-2014, 09:01 AM
Lindy?
Bracewell?
Holder?

Makes it tough because of tomorrow and tonight's game as well. I personally don't like using a pitcher in Game 1- then turning around and using them again in Game 2. So I would:

use Lindgren to finish them off today. Close them out and finish them off- got to win the game at hand. Then we have Ross and Holder for tonight's game.

Sunday I start Woody again with Bracewell. Laster, and the other guy from Tuesday ready. I also asses where we are with Lindy and Holder after today

I agree with this. I really wanted to finish that game last night. I felt like Fitts could go at least one more inning.

HailState39110
04-25-2014, 09:05 AM
Lindgren needs to finish game 1 .
Ross/Holder game 2 .
I'm sure game 3 will be Bracewell/Woody/maybe Gentry if Woody doesn't have his stuff

msstate7
04-25-2014, 09:05 AM
I'd go bracewell or woody with lindgren ready at first sign of trouble. Best chance of sweep is saving lindgren till tomorrow

LiterallyPolice
04-25-2014, 09:06 AM
I say risk it with someone else first. I want Lindgren for extended innings on Sunday, which is when we give up the most runs.

I'm going with Gentry with a short leash, and then Lindgren if necessary.

ScoobaDawg
04-25-2014, 09:16 AM
and a possibility of Preston Brown coming back.

preachermatt83
04-25-2014, 09:19 AM
I'd go bracewell or woody with lindgren ready at first sign of trouble. Best chance of sweep is saving lindgren till tomorrow

agree 100 percent! I would throw either Bracewell or Holder(prob holder) to finish game one. Most likely Ross is gonna give you a solid 8 innings in game 2 so let Sexton or somebody finish that one and I would freaking Start Lingo on Sunday.

ScoobaDawg
04-25-2014, 09:20 AM
ABSOLUTELY no reason to burn holder for 3 innings to finish this game. No way he should start.

HereComesTheSpiral
04-25-2014, 09:21 AM
If preston brown is able to go, let him get a rehab start before going to the final push of he season.

preachermatt83
04-25-2014, 09:23 AM
agree 100 percent! I would throw either Bracewell or Holder(prob holder) to finish game one. Most likely Ross is gonna give you a solid 8 innings in game 2 so let Sexton or somebody finish that one and I would freaking Start Lingo on Sunday.

Saturday I mean.

preachermatt83
04-25-2014, 09:24 AM
ABSOLUTELY no reason to burn holder for 3 innings to finish this game. No way he should start.

burn him for 3 innings? You do realize this is only a 3 run game right? We HAVE to win this one.

Jacksondevildog
04-25-2014, 09:27 AM
Bracewell is the safe and smart play here. 3 run lead with 9 outs to go and he's coming off a good performance at Missouri. He should also be fresh. This saves Lindgren for game two because we can't definitely expect Mitchell to give us 8. Bringing in Lindgren today will give him a feel of starting and not actually coming out of the bullpen.

dickiedawg
04-25-2014, 09:35 AM
Jim said on the broadcast last night that aTm has been an excellent Sunday team. 5-1 in SEC game 3s- Would be nice to have Lindy ready to go for several innings in game 3.

Obviously winning game one is paramount, but I would be tempted to go with someone other than Holder/Lindgren/Bracewell/Woodruff and be prepared to go to Lindgren if said someone gets in trouble. Depends somewhat, too, on how confident I am that Preston Brown is ready to go. Give yourself a chance to win game one without burning Lindgren or Holder, we'll be in great shape.

PassInterference
04-25-2014, 09:36 AM
Christy Brinkley

bulldogcountry1
04-25-2014, 09:50 AM
It all depends on the status of Brown. If they think he will be good to go on Saturday, I'd like to see Bracewell or Woodruff try to finish out Game 1. I hate to use Lindgren or Holder unless the game gets a bit tighter.

Homedawg
04-25-2014, 09:52 AM
Lindgren. If we were lucky to put up 2-3 runs yank him and go to gentry or whoever. And u still have holder for the 9th if they close it back to less than 4. I can hope.....either way u got to win this one so lindgren for me is an easy choice.

msstate7
04-25-2014, 09:56 AM
They'll most likely save their best for games 2 and 3. No reason to start our best. Have lindgren and holder ready in case

ScoobaDawg
04-25-2014, 09:56 AM
burn him for 3 innings? You do realize this is only a 3 run game right? We HAVE to win this one.

He is a CLOSER, they are supposed to pitch an inning or two. You throw him out for all 3 and there is no chance to use him in game 2 and or sunday.
Burning him for the weekend would be stupid we have tons of pitchers who should be able to get though 2/3 innings to finish this game. No need to use Holder
unless you have to.

Further more we HAVE to win game 2 AND this one. Not just this one.

bulldogcountry1
04-25-2014, 11:16 AM
We have to start approaching series like they are super regionals - we have to do what it takes to win the series.

LC Dawg
04-25-2014, 11:27 AM
What does anyone think of Ross finishing game one, Lindgren starting game two, and Ross coming back and starting game three? I don't know if this is possible but I just think Ross is the least likely of our pitchers to go out and just blow up and he also seems to be able to throw a lot of innings.

War Machine Dawg
04-25-2014, 11:27 AM
I say go with Bracewell. Try to get 2 from him, then hand it to Holder. Attempt to save Lindy for Game 3 on Saturday.

engie
04-25-2014, 11:29 AM
We have to start approaching series like they are super regionals - we have to do what it takes to win the series.

Bracewell for today with Holder in emergency situations we hopefully won't see. aTm had a shitload of trouble with Fitts' breaker. Wait till they get a load of Bracewell's slider...

Then Ross.

Brown, Lindgren, Holder for game 3. If Brown can't go, I'm not really sure who I would start...

I disagree on approaching it like Super Regionals -- because in SR's, you only have to take 2 of 3. We've got to go for the jugular here for a sweep I think we can and should get. 2 of 3 gets us no closer to the hosting bubble and simply holds serve with where we're currently at as a mediocre 2 seed. Sweep and we're strongly back in the conversation for a host slot and likely the overall SEC crown -- with 3 VERY winnable series left to play...

smootness
04-25-2014, 11:45 AM
Are there not just 2 innings left in Game 1? Didn't we get through the top of the 7th?

msstate7
04-25-2014, 11:54 AM
Are there not just 2 innings left in Game 1? Didn't we get through the top of the 7th?

Don't think so

smootness
04-25-2014, 11:58 AM
Don't think so

Nevermind then.

I'd go with Bracewell. I don't see any way Mitchell could come out and throw 3 innings and then start Game 3. Game 3 will be tomorrow, so there would be no rest. And I don't think it makes sense to throw Lindgren or Holder unless things get tighter.

engie
04-25-2014, 12:03 PM

Got thru bottom of the 6th. 9 outs to get...

Personally, I thought the rain came at about the perfect time for us. That reliever for aTm was mowing us down...

drunkernhelldawg
04-25-2014, 12:08 PM
It is a must win! Bullpen gotta get it done.

preachermatt83
04-25-2014, 12:33 PM
exactly

The Croom Diaries
04-25-2014, 12:59 PM

Disagree. Winning the series won't get us any closer to winning the SEC or hosting a Regional. We need to play for the sweep. If the game was 1-1 I'd say throw Lingo, but we're up 4-1 so Bracewell is the safe bet here. If we can score a couple in the bottom of the 7th I'd put in Gentry to finish it. We need to save Lingo and Holder for crucial situations - right now it is not crucial. If it becomes 4-2 with a couple runners on it's crucial and we'll have to bring them in.

dawg1
04-25-2014, 01:28 PM
How about Hudson? Have him on a short lease with Woody as a backup.

Johnson85
04-25-2014, 01:29 PM
I personally don't like using a pitcher in Game 1- then turning around and using them again in Game 2. So I would:

Mitchell would make me consider it. Just seems like he has a rubber arm that he doesn't put a lot of stress on. I think I would actually try to save my most important relievers and get by with somebody further down the order, and bring in Ross if we get in trouble. If we close it out without Ross, awesome. Even if Ross has to come in for two innings, I think that helps. I'd get some input from Mitchell though. If he didn't want to pitch, have to stay warm for the top of the 9th, intermission, and top of the 1st before pitching game two, I wouldn't ask want him to.

If anything bothered me about using Ross for game one, it'd be that A&M would get a few looks at him so that it's like they've had batting practice with him when they start the 1st inning of game two.

The other big consideration is correct me if I'm wrong, but winning the series keeps us on pace for a two seed, while a sweep keeps at least the possibility of an SEC championship and host spot alive, whereas realistically our downside is a 3 seed now. I know it can make a huge difference as far as matchups, especially if you advance to a superregional, but the potential gains far outweigh the risks.

But I'm not a baseball guy, so everything I've said could be exactly backwards.

BulldogBear
04-25-2014, 01:53 PM
Bracewell + Lingo if he gets in trouble before, maybe 8.2. If that late Holder you need him to get the last out of the 8th and go for 9th.

G2, Ross, finish if he can. If not, whichever one above you didn't use.

G3, Woody. Finish with Lindgren if Ross went 8 or 9 and Lindgren went no more than 1-2. Holder if necessary or didn't go at all. Also agree with C34, take a look at Laster for Sunday relief and Gentry if desperate.

I know that formula sounds complicated but I feel we overthink right/lefty sometimes anyway, so why not a little more?

blacklistedbully
04-25-2014, 02:09 PM
No way, no how would I use Mitchell to finish game 1, then bring him back after a delay to pitch game 2. We'd be inviting big-time trouble and risk losing Ross for the year.

Rubber arm or not, it's one thing to be able to throw a lot of pitches in 1 game, or be a long-relief pitcher able to come on often and eat innings. It's quite another to have a guy start, then stop for an extended period, then come back again the same day to start another.

There is a reason starting pitchers, subjected to a long game-delay, often don't come back in when the game resumes. These guys typically put a ton of stress on their arms warming up, then pitching a game, and typically need to ice their arms afterward to reduce chance of swelling, etc.

We do not need to risk RM for something like that.

I agree with others who prefer to save Lingo for Sunday. We have arms enough to bring in a new pitcher each inning of game 1 if need be, and not touch our regular rotation.

Will James
04-25-2014, 02:13 PM
I think there is only one option to finish out this game and i cant believe its even a discussion.

Lindgren

BulldogBear
04-25-2014, 02:18 PM
On a side note:

When will things get started this afternoon? Will G1 be started early with G2 to follow or will G1 start when G2 was supposed to and everything go "until?" If it's G1 is an early start, will it be covered on radio?

ScoobaDawg
04-25-2014, 02:31 PM
I think there is only one option to finish out this game and i cant believe its even a discussion.

Lindgren

What a surprise. Do you know any other pitchers names?

ScoobaDawg
04-25-2014, 02:32 PM
On a side note:

When will things get started this afternoon? Will G1 be started early with G2 to follow or will G1 start when G2 was supposed to and everything go "until?" If it's G1 is an early start, will it be covered on radio?

5pm Game 1 will resume. Game 2 will be 30 minutes after conclusion.

blacklistedbully
04-25-2014, 02:37 PM
Hudson, Cox, Gentry, Houston, Sexton, Woody, Shelly. Put them all on a short leash. Nobody faces the same batter twice, unless they are dominating.

tcdog70
04-25-2014, 02:50 PM
Lindgren- don't dick around. Make sure and win the first game.

Homedawg
04-25-2014, 02:57 PM
Lindgren- don't dick around. Make sure and win the first game.

This^. I agree w you and will James. It's a 3 run game! It's not like we r up 6-7. One guys gets on and the tying run is on deck. No short leash bs w someone else. Lindgren. Period.

RAYn_Man
04-25-2014, 03:33 PM
Lindgren is starting.

engie
04-25-2014, 03:49 PM
This^. I agree w you and will James. It's a 3 run game! It's not like we r up 6-7. One guys gets on and the tying run is on deck. No short leash bs w someone else. Lindgren. Period.

And then what do you do in game 3?

We need the sweep here. Winning 2 is no different than winning 1 in how it affects us going forward. Playing for the sweep = save Lindgren. Don't burn him for the weekend with a 3 run lead for 9 outs.

MetEdDawg
04-25-2014, 03:50 PM
Let Lingo go one, let Bracewell go one, then let Ross Mitchell pitch the 9th. Next game starts 30 minutes after. It would be like sitting after a long inning with your team at the plate. That way he's already in his groove. If he stinks for 20 pitches, let Holder finish it. That way, all of those guys could come back game 2 and pitch if necessary and we get Ross Mitchell in the game already.

Screw closer mentality and rhythm and that crap. Mitchell has been coming in the 1st and 2nd innings of games IN RELIEF for the last two years. Kid can do whatever we ask. Wonder how many college guys would be able to say they got a save and a win in the same day.

Will James
04-25-2014, 04:05 PM

We need the sweep here. Winning 2 is no different than winning 1 in how it affects us going forward. Playing for the sweep = save Lindgren. Don't burn him for the weekend with a 3 run lead for 9 outs.

You can't plan on having him for later. THIS is precisely the time that he is in the pen for. 3 runs in 3 innings IS NOT SHIT.

If he shuts down A+M in the 7th then we score 2 or so you can take him out and save him.

Homedawg
04-25-2014, 04:08 PM

You can't sweep if you don't win game one. Sweepin is important. No question. But winning 2 is imperative. We have Ross game 2. Hopefully he will go deep. Piece game 3 together.

Homedawg
04-25-2014, 04:09 PM
You can't plan on having him for later. THIS is precisely the time that he is in the pen for. 3 runs in 3 innings IS NOT SHIT.

If he shuts down A+M in the 7th then we score 2 or so you can take him out and save him.
If we are up +5 then I change my tune.

blacklistedbully
04-25-2014, 04:24 PM
Would be a pretty sad thing if we can't get 3 innings from the other guys with a 3-run lead. While I understand the value of getting that first win, we have a chance here to save Lindgren to help get a sweep.

engie
04-25-2014, 04:45 PM

And Bracewell can't shut them down for 9 outs?

So -- you burn our ace long relief guy in a short relief stint -- and leave us with nothing but questionmarks tomorrow in a game that -- guess what -- starts at 0-0?

Our best chance to SWEEP is by having Lindgren available for game 3...

engie
04-25-2014, 04:47 PM
You can't sweep if you don't win game one. Sweepin is important. No question. But winning 2 is imperative. We have Ross game 2. Hopefully he will go deep. Piece game 3 together.

So -- you don't believe that Bracewell is capable of getting us 9 outs -- after Fitts, who is a less talented version of Bracewell, dominated their ass for 18 yesterday?

You can't sweep without winning game 3 either. You've got to look at the total picture -- not just the next 9 outs.

Will James
04-25-2014, 04:51 PM
And Bracewell can't shut them down for 9 outs?

So -- you burn our ace long relief guy in a short relief stint -- and leave us not shit tomorrow in a game that -- guess what -- starts at 0-0...

Our ace long relief guy has only gone over 3.1 in an outing ONCE this year. Unless you plan on starting him tomorrow he pitches now.

BulldogBear
04-25-2014, 05:11 PM
Lindgren is starting.

I would've started almost anyone else and saved him.

msstate7
04-25-2014, 05:13 PM
I would've started almost anyone else and saved him.

Well we'll still have him. Our lead is what we failed to save

blacklistedbully
04-25-2014, 05:15 PM

Lindgren

Uh-huh. How's that working out for ya?

Coach34
04-25-2014, 05:46 PM
well, the good news is that Lindgren can pitch tomorrow

ScoobaDawg
04-25-2014, 06:54 PM
Our ace long relief guy has only gone over 3.1 in an outing ONCE this year. Unless you plan on starting him tomorrow he pitches now.

Well your savior sure did a damn good job not earning a single out (bunting is giving an out as you like to say....)
Great job in making Butch burn Holder for 2.2 innings and throw 42 pitches.

Will James
04-25-2014, 07:11 PM
Well your savior sure did a damn good job not earning a single out (bunting is giving an out as you like to say....)
Great job in making Butch burn Holder for 2.2 innings and throw 42 pitches.

Cohen just went to a national championship and has gone to regionals, supers, AND has a SEC tournament championship. How dare you question him.

C222
04-25-2014, 07:22 PM
Cohen just went to a national championship and has gone to regionals, supers, AND has a SEC tournament championship. How dare you question him.

He just did all that with good talent. It wasn't his coaching.

Coach34
04-25-2014, 09:12 PM
Lindy was the right call- he just had a shitty outing...it happens