PDA

View Full Version : A hall of fame in the new DNF stadium

bulldogcountry1
04-25-2014, 08:18 AM
I've thought about this before, and while I think we do a decent job of honoring former players, I think we should do more. I believe there should be some sort of hall of fame or display in the new stadium. We have a lot of former players with significant accomplishments both at State and in the pros. Not only will it be a great opportunity for the lifelong fans to reminisce, it will be a way for the younger fans to learn about and appreciate the past. Surely a lot of these former players have jerseys and other items they would be happy to loan for display. It will also be a good way of keeping these former players (and maybe one coach) involved with the program.

ScoobaDawg
04-25-2014, 09:08 AM
I'm all with you... I have no idea if it will happen but It was in my ideas for a new stadium for a long time. I always wanted to partly close down the road in between the dude and the hump (you have to leave room for where the visiting bus park and enters...they can go the other way instead) and make that a entrance leading to 1st base entrance and home plate. At the top make a grand entrance with an Arch way entrance with Interlocking MS, Make some bollards shaped like baseball bats and topped with a ball or something creative and then a staircase down the hill. And this is Where I would build (So it would be off the end of the new grandstand next to visitors bullpen kinda area) in an outdoor Hall of Fame with Bust/Plaques/Monuments of Former Players and achievements. Make it something accessible year round If this location wouldn't work with the extended grandstand. We need to embrace and acknowledge our history with more than just a couple flags around the underneath of the grandstand.

drummerdawg
04-25-2014, 09:14 AM
I always thought an MSU sports museum would be cool to have on campus. But yea I agree we need something like that in the new stadium.

ScoobaDawg
04-25-2014, 09:19 AM
I used to think a museum would be nice. but a museum has to have someone in it for it to be open. Make it open air and open year round

drummerdawg
04-25-2014, 09:24 AM
ShareE=ScoobaDawg;168249]I used to think a museum would be nice. but a museum has to have someone in it for it to be open. Make it open air and open year round[/QUOTE]

Whats wrong with someone being there? They could make it interactive for kids while having tons of memorabilia for adults. I could see a lot of field trips being taken there and that's never a bad thing considering we could get some young fans that way.

gtowndawg
04-25-2014, 09:33 AM
I'd sell my business and apply to be the curator. That would be a fun job.

Pollodawg
04-25-2014, 09:39 AM
I wonder if we have a Nick Bell or Keffer McGee prize/award for the offensive and defensive player that works the hardest. That would be pretty neat. They could earn the right to wear the jersey for a year.

I know. I know. It's OM and Chucky *cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough*, but a good idea is a good idea.

ScoobaDawg
04-25-2014, 09:52 AM
ShareE=ScoobaDawg;168249]I used to think a museum would be nice. but a museum has to have someone in it for it to be open. Make it open air and open year round

Whats wrong with someone being there? They could make it interactive for kids while having tons of memorabilia for adults. I could see a lot of field trips being taken there and that's never a bad thing considering we could get some young fans that way.[/QUOTE]

Well my thought process was always. Contained museum = Limited times for viewing and additional costs of staffing.
I would prefer it be accessible any day at any time for anyone.

I get your point on interactive and memorabilia and it is a good point that should be considered.

BrunswickDawg
04-25-2014, 09:54 AM
I'd sell my business and apply to be the curator. That would be a fun job.
You'd have some competition there gtown - I actually run a museum for a living and I'd be fighting to be in line for that job!

It would be incredibly cool, and is something that State could really use. I thought they missed a big opportunity with the Barnes & Noble by not incorporating a sports museum (a clock museum -really??) right next to DWS. A monument park concept would work at DNF, and should be done.

AlSwearengen
04-25-2014, 09:55 AM
I used to think a museum would be nice. but a museum has to have someone in it for it to be open. Make it open air and open year round

This is what I have thought as well. If we had unlimited funds, it would be pretty cool to have statues of our most elite former players leading up to the park or some place inside the stadium. Will Clarks, Rafael Palmieros, Jeff Brantleys. Those types of players.

engie
04-25-2014, 09:56 AM
Something like that is being thrown around for the entrance plaza to the new stadium...

ScoobaDawg
04-25-2014, 10:01 AM
This is what I have thought as well. If we had unlimited funds, it would be pretty cool to have statues of our most elite former players leading up to the park or some place inside the stadium. Will Clarks, Rafael Palmieros, Jeff Brantleys. Those types of players.

Exactly...I've been trying to figure out how to get those pictures in my head on paper for over 7 years now. Hate not being able to draw.

gtowndawg
04-25-2014, 10:50 AM
You'd have some competition there gtown - I actually run a museum for a living and I'd be fighting to be in line for that job!

It would be incredibly cool, and is something that State could really use. I thought they missed a big opportunity with the Barnes & Noble by not incorporating a sports museum (a clock museum -really??) right next to DWS. A monument park concept would work at DNF, and should be done.

I'm not even 100% sure what a curator does, I just know it would be fun.

bulldogcountry1
04-25-2014, 11:14 AM
It would definitely take more funding to do something along the lines of a full museum with a souvenir shop, but it would be worth it. If nothing else, have large display cases inside the stadium in a dedicated area.

BrunswickDawg
04-25-2014, 11:19 AM
I'm not even 100% sure what a curator does, I just know it would be fun.

Most of it ain't rocket science unless you are dealing with rare or fragile objects. And like any job, with the right funding, support, and subject matter that fits your interests it can be a lot of fun. I interviewed years ago for the Braves Museum at Turner Field when it was opening. Biggest disappointment of my career not getting that job because I would have been in a dream job AND been paid to go to ball games!

DCdawg
04-25-2014, 12:26 PM
Something like that is being thrown around for the entrance plaza to the new stadium...

I think a plaza would be the best way to do it for baseball. You could have an open area with plaques on the walls and memorabilia in places - maybe a few statues. It's open an doesn't require any oversight. Neat to learn some history if you're visiting. Just call it "Legends Plaza" at Dudy Noble Field or something.