PDA

View Full Version : AJ Reed making a run at the SEC triple crown?

messageboardsuperhero
04-24-2014, 11:11 PM
Right now he leads the conference in average (.375), HRs (16), and RBI (55). Reed pretty much already has the HR and RBI crowns locked up, but there are a few guys who are right behind him for the league lead in average.

AJ Reed would only be the second SEC player to ever win the conference triple crown- of course the first and only time it has been done as of now was when Palmeiro did it in 1984. The crazy thing about Reed is that he's also one of the best pitchers in the conference. I knew he would be special when I saw him play in the 2012 SEC tournament, but what he's doing now in modern day SEC baseball is just crazy.

The Croom Diaries
04-25-2014, 05:59 AM
Looking at UK's stats (http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/m-basebl/stats/2013-2014/teamcume.html) it's incredible to see how he's head and shoulders above everyone on their team in hitting....and pitching. They are no joke either - #7 in RPI right now.

Reed leads the SEC in avg., slugging, OB%, RBI, HR, total bases...then he's 13th in ERA and 4th in IP. Pretty incredible player. He's like Hunter Renfroe and Kendall Graveman combined (except he's a lefty and slow - production wise he's like that I mean).

maroonmania
04-25-2014, 11:56 AM
Right now he leads the conference in average (.375), HRs (16), and RBI (55). Reed pretty much already has the HR and RBI crowns locked up, but there are a few guys who are right behind him for the league lead in average.

AJ Reed would only be the second SEC player to ever win the conference triple crown- of course the first and only time it has been done as of now was when Palmeiro did it in 1984. The crazy thing about Reed is that he's also one of the best pitchers in the conference. I knew he would be special when I saw him play in the 2012 SEC tournament, but what he's doing now in modern day SEC baseball is just crazy.

Would be an amazing feat. Todd Helton just barely missed winning it a number of years ago but nobody else besides that has really been that close since Palmeiro.

smootness
04-25-2014, 12:05 PM
It would be fun to see someone calculate his WAR this year. He is far and away the reason Kentucky is doing what they're doing.

engie
04-25-2014, 12:09 PM
He almost needs an asterisk in comparison to Rafi's record given the band box he gets to hit in everyday though IMO...

And I'm not trying to take away from what has been an amazing overall season for him -- just making it a "fair" comparison...

msstate7
04-25-2014, 12:16 PM
He almost needs an asterisk in comparison to Rafi's record given the band box he gets to hit in everyday though IMO...

And I'm not trying to take away from what has been an amazing overall season for him -- just making it a "fair" comparison...

Does the small stadium equal the old bats? Might be a wash...

messageboardsuperhero
04-25-2014, 12:41 PM

Yeah, but everyone played with the old bats back then, thus equalling the playing field between Palmeiro and his competition at the time. Not everyone in the conference gets to play in UK's park 35 times/year- and this give Reed an advantage over everyone else.

And yeah, that's not to downplay his accomplishments. He's had a great season either way.

engie
04-25-2014, 12:43 PM

Rafi didn't play in what was really a live bat era...

KB21
04-25-2014, 12:44 PM
I would really like to see his home vs away splits.

The Croom Diaries
04-25-2014, 12:52 PM
I would really like to see his home vs away splits.

Here is his game by game: http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/m-basebl/stats/2013-2014/plyr_18.html

He has 5 HR on the road, 11 at home....I'm not going to add anything else up though, ha.

maroonmania
04-25-2014, 01:08 PM

No, unless there is some college regulation on field size that KY is not following you can't even think about putting an asterisk on something like that. MLB ball parks aren't standardized either. Sounds like the sour grapes that Roger Maris got because of the short RF porch at the old Yankee Stadium.

BulldogBear
04-25-2014, 01:33 PM
I just hope his triple crown bid is in the bag after their series with the Bears this weekend!!

quickstrike2
04-25-2014, 01:51 PM
No, unless there is some college regulation on field size that KY is not following you can't even think about putting an asterisk on something like that. MLB ball parks aren't standardized either. Sounds like the sour grapes that Roger Maris got because of the short RF porch at the old Yankee Stadium.

I still recognize Maris as the single season homerun leader.

Coach34
04-25-2014, 02:33 PM
I still recognize Maris as the single season homerun leader.

Well, to be fair- Maris took 8 extra games than Ruth.

Babe Ruth holds the 154 game season record- non steroid