PDA

View Full Version : MSU is asking for fans to name new student section, thoughts?

ShotgunDawg
04-24-2014, 04:29 PM
Mine would be "The Indian Mound"

QuadrupleOption
04-24-2014, 04:32 PM
If you named it "Free Beer" maybe they'd show up.

Gen. Grant
04-24-2014, 05:07 PM
Is the visiting team going to come out from under the student section?

Political Hack
04-24-2014, 05:09 PM
boneyard.

relevant to the dawgs and burial grounds. discussion over.

Maroons
04-24-2014, 05:37 PM
Bad idea.

Thick
04-24-2014, 05:45 PM
I like Boneyard too. Good one PH!

Dirtbagdawg
04-24-2014, 06:04 PM
The dawg pound

Vandownbytheriver
04-24-2014, 06:17 PM
Why not just go ahead and name it after whoever Scott decides the biggest ad space to?

The Bonyard
Presented by
Farm Bureau Insurance

esplanade91
04-24-2014, 06:22 PM
Bad idea.

Horrible. A 12 year old girl is running our marketing department, I swear.

The response on twitter has suited their stupidity. 9/10 have responded "the student section."

I just can't believe someone thought this was a good idea and was able to convince their superiors it was indeed a good idea. Shows you how out of touch they are. This twitter shit is essentially a bunch of old people overcompensating with technology, equivalent to your mom or grandmother being on Facebook and posting on your wall daily, commenting on everything, and poking all your friends. Less is more.

mparkerfd20
04-24-2014, 06:28 PM
As much as I hate it, it will be The Dawg Pound.

TheRef
04-24-2014, 06:31 PM
As much as I hate it, it will be The Dawg Pound.

They already said no due to that being the name of the UGA Student Section.

Pollodawg
04-24-2014, 07:22 PM
The Dawg House.

Pollodawg
04-24-2014, 07:23 PM
The Dawg Yard/Pen. Only Dawgs get out alive.

bluelightstar
04-24-2014, 07:42 PM
I am also a fan of it just being the student section. This is ridiculous.

Steakonastick
04-24-2014, 07:46 PM
We leave at halftime

bulldawg28
04-24-2014, 07:46 PM
The boneyard

hailmari
04-24-2014, 07:50 PM
The "hey, down in front!"

Dirtbagdawg
04-24-2014, 08:12 PM
I like the idea as long as it's a cool name. My choices:
1) the dawg pound
2) The Boneyard
3) The dawg House

dogshiek
04-24-2014, 08:45 PM
Bone Zone!

Todd4State
04-24-2014, 08:46 PM
I think they should just leave it alone. Most traditions start spontaneously rather than forced by the management.

Lloyd Christmas
04-24-2014, 08:59 PM
I think they should just leave it alone. Most traditions start spontaneously rather than forced by the management.

Stricklin has a problem with overbranding.

ShotgunDawg
04-24-2014, 09:02 PM
Whatever it is: Please don't name it after a coach because when coaches leave, it loses it's identity.

Todd4State
04-24-2014, 09:11 PM

I think it's crossed over into addiction territory. You would think we would have generated enough revenue by now to buy back the interlocking MSU logo 12 times over.

Lloyd Christmas
04-24-2014, 09:41 PM
If i had to do anything I would stay away from dog puns. How about you call the section "The STATEment".

http://s1.postimg.org/4lqp455mj/Sketch244223021.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/4lqp455mj/)

Sorry for the hasty sketch. It's my try at a pun

1. Student Section makes a Statement with their mere presence
2. It has STATE in it

Or you could call it "The Ring" because it is now a ring of students and they could have a cowbell logo to emphasize the pun.

esplanade91
04-24-2014, 09:54 PM

Well it might have worked and not in the way we wanted it to. I live in the NYC area and I see Mississippi State flat bills like crazy. I think we've reached Charlotte Hornets status.

I usually say something like "Hail State!" or "Go Dawgs!" and they have no idea what I'm talking about. They're 9/10 just the new bulldog logo or walking bulldog logo. I was getting off the train to go into MSG the other day and when I got off there was a dude just sitting there in one of our snapbacks and a Zoo York ghetto ass fabulous hoodie.

In the last 6 months without actively looking I've run into about 20-30. I know I'm not losing my mind either because my boss from Raleigh, NC even mentioned it at work. It's only specifically flat bills.

In no way am I saying we have fans because of twitter or these guys know who the 17 MSU is, I'm actually saying the opposite. Twitter/marketing has helped us gain 0 fans while alienating half the fan base. We'll still have random rans from all over 100% due to us fielding good teams with great players and giving a portion of America who love to hate themselves a Chicago Cubs type team to cheer for in the SEC.

DudyDawg
04-24-2014, 10:52 PM
Saw someone on twitter say something like the Nick Bell memorial end zone. Something like that, which would essentially be a sign since everyone will just call it the student section, would be a nice gesture

LC Dawg
04-24-2014, 11:26 PM
If i had to do anything I would stay away from dog puns. How about you call the section "The STATEment".

http://s1.postimg.org/4lqp455mj/Sketch244223021.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/4lqp455mj/)

Sorry for the hasty sketch. It's my try at a pun

1. Student Section makes a Statement with their mere presence
2. It has STATE in it

Or you could call it "The Ring" because it is now a ring of students and they could have a cowbell logo to emphasize the pun.

Call it the Bull Ring and you may get all the old-timers behind it.

LiterallyPolice
04-25-2014, 08:54 AM
Well it might have worked and not in the way we wanted it to. I live in the NYC area and I see Mississippi State flat bills like crazy. I think we've reached Charlotte Hornets status.

I usually say something like "Hail State!" or "Go Dawgs!" and they have no idea what I'm talking about. They're 9/10 just the new bulldog logo or walking bulldog logo. I was getting off the train to go into MSG the other day and when I got off there was a dude just sitting there in one of our snapbacks and a Zoo York ghetto ass fabulous hoodie.

In the last 6 months without actively looking I've run into about 20-30. I know I'm not losing my mind either because my boss from Raleigh, NC even mentioned it at work. It's only specifically flat bills.

In no way am I saying we have fans because of twitter or these guys know who the 17 MSU is, I'm actually saying the opposite. Twitter/marketing has helped us gain 0 fans while alienating half the fan base. We'll still have random rans from all over 100% due to us fielding good teams with great players and giving a portion of America who love to hate themselves a Chicago Cubs type team to cheer for in the SEC.

You seem like a smart guy, so you probably get a little annoyed by blatant marketing. I do as well... but much less now than I used to. Here's the thing: most people aren't very smart, and shit like this works like a charm. Marketing and salesmanship will almost always be cheesy, but will also be effective and necessary for successful businesses.

For example.... no one said "Hail State" when I was in school there.... and now you're shouting it at strangers in NYC! Marketing win. I love what Stricklin has done with that.

archdog
04-25-2014, 09:37 AM
Mine would be "The Indian Mound"

Grind House

archdog
04-25-2014, 09:38 AM
Call it the Bull Ring and you may get all the old-timers behind it.

Can you do one that is "The Landmass"

bluelightstar
04-25-2014, 09:40 AM
For example.... no one said "Hail State" when I was in school there.... and now you're shouting it at strangers in NYC! Marketing win. I love what Stricklin has done with that.

The use of Hail State was definitely SA-led. SA started a 'True Maroon' campaign in 2011-2012 (might have the year wrong) and athletic marketing followed suit.

Honestly, except for Tents4Tickets (which I liked but a lot of students thought was a debacle), these things tend to come better when the SA figures something out and then goes to the students.

mparkerfd20
04-25-2014, 09:48 AM
They already said no due to that being the name of the UGA Student Section.

Thank God.

slickdawg
04-25-2014, 10:06 AM
Rick's Rowdies? ******

DownwardDawg
04-25-2014, 10:17 AM
The Croom Tomb******

I kid I kid!!!!!!!

ScoobaDawg
04-25-2014, 10:20 AM
Rick's Rowdies? ******

You are just wrong for that....

TheRef
04-25-2014, 10:25 AM
Honestly, except for Tents4Tickets (which I liked but a lot of students thought was a debacle), these things tend to come better when the SA figures something out and then goes to the students.

The reason why students consider it a failure is because they thought only 5K students would show up. They ended up with wayyyy more than they thought and had no plan for that. Also, they never coordinated with any personnel needed to carry out this (security, EOG, MSU PD, etc) so they were scrambling at the last minute to secure everything. Rhett Hobart still gets teased about that every year by the Marketing staff.

esplanade91
04-25-2014, 10:37 AM
The reason why students consider it a failure is because they thought only 5K students would show up. They ended up with wayyyy more than they thought and had no plan for that. Also, they never coordinated with any personnel needed to carry out this (security, EOG, MSU PD, etc) so they were scrambling at the last minute to secure everything. Rhett Hobart still gets teased about that every year by the Marketing staff.
I was there for Tents4Tickets. While they never came out and said it, they never played down the "we're going to run out of tickets" aspect of it. Normally that'd be fine and dandy and we'd go and have a great time, but they scheduled it the morning following fraternity bid day.

Great idea on paper except that they made it seem like they were going to sell out and they scheduled it on the weekend of probably the 3rd biggest party of the year.

I don't know what percentage of you folks were Greek, and if you weren't I'm not calling you out, but a big part of having a good student section is having a lively Greek turnout. Ask basketball. They've done everything they can to try to water it down. That was the beginning of it. The biggest blow was not allowing pledges to save seats (controversial, I know). Tents4Tickets blew.

bluelightstar
04-25-2014, 10:42 AM

Oh no doubt, we were not ready for as many people as ended up showing up for Tents4Tickets -- that was on us as SA. I think it would've been really good the next week and with a little better planning, but the pushback was so strong that there was no way we were going to be able to do it a 2nd time and correct our mistakes. Students were livid -- but I still think the idea of an all-night party in the Junction is really, really cool.

I don't know what percentage of you folks were Greek, and if you weren't I'm not calling you out, but a big part of having a good student section is having a lively Greek turnout. Ask basketball. They've done everything they can to try to water it down. That was the beginning of it. The biggest blow was not allowing pledges to save seats (controversial, I know). Tents4Tickets blew.

Agreed -- you really need Greek involvement (from all the Greek councils - IFC, PanHellenic, and NPHC). Traditionally, these groups are the so-called "cool kids" and if they aren't into it, typically a majority of the students wont' be. During Stansbury's last year, Athletics was leaning heavily on SA to figure out how to fix (1) student attendance and (2) students actually paying attention/participating at games. We legitimately couldn't even fix it, and Athletics ended up doing ridiculous stuff like providing giant Dee Bost and Renardo Sidney heads (which is why I don't just blame Rick Ray for the dead Hump).

esplanade91
04-25-2014, 10:44 AM
You seem like a smart guy, so you probably get a little annoyed by blatant marketing. I do as well... but much less now than I used to. Here's the thing: most people aren't very smart, and shit like this works like a charm. Marketing and salesmanship will almost always be cheesy, but will also be effective and necessary for successful businesses.

Sure, I'm not saying Stricklin's staff had nothing to do with making Hail State a fixture, but I remember people saying that back in high school, especially when all the douchey Ole Miss legacies started beating off to Eli Manning at lunch. It's always been a thing, it's just now on a whole different level which we can argue is a good or bad thing all day long.

We have no real traditions other than some generic ones or ones that really aren't exciting (cowbells) and the department feels like we need some. It just feels forced, and quite frankly I haven't heard from a person from any demographic who feels otherwise. The student section will always be "the student section" and people's favorite uniforms will forever be the uniforms we wore in 1998. Mississippi isn't known for being trendy, and I wish they'd acknowledge the fact that we like things how we like them within a reasonable cloud. Some things need to change, sure, but us calling the student section "the student section" and a lot of other stuff they're trying to change with gimmicks isn't hurting us. In any way, fashion, or form.

Bubb Rubb
04-25-2014, 01:03 PM
I heard someone mention "The Endzone Up North." I laughed at that.

TheRef
04-25-2014, 01:06 PM

That would be funny...that brought a chuckle to me.

BulldogBear
04-25-2014, 01:32 PM
Sometimes it's better to leave it alone and let it happen naturally. I got nothing although I like "TEUN." I wouldn't try to force anything unless it was really really spectacular. Don't end up with a craptastic lable and then something better come along later.

drunkernhelldawg
04-25-2014, 01:51 PM
Frenzetica in Maroon

hailmari
04-25-2014, 02:07 PM
I agree the Greek turnout is very important and I wish there was a way to get them in there in a way that raises the atmosphere, but I nearly came to blows with pledges on multiple occasions. It worked against most non-Greeks, but I'm stubborn. So, that wasn't a good idea and it put those guys in a bad, uncomfortable spot.

Also, I heard on the B&B Show suggest "This is Our Endzone". Kinda funny, especially if it's chanted when the opposing team fails to score on that side.

BulldogBear
04-25-2014, 02:10 PM
I agree the Greek turnout is very important and I wish there was a way to get them in there in a way that raises the atmosphere, but I nearly came to blows with pledges on multiple occasions. It worked against most non-Greeks, but I'm stubborn. So, that wasn't a good idea and it put those guys in a bad, uncomfortable spot.

Also, I heard on the B&B Show suggest "This is Our Endzone". Kinda funny, especially if it's chanted when the opposing team fails to score on that side.

Okay, this is the first one that I'm starting to take seriously.

drunkernhelldawg
04-25-2014, 02:12 PM
Let's call it The Library. That way they can all say they've been there.

esplanade91
04-25-2014, 02:31 PM
I agree the Greek turnout is very important and I wish there was a way to get them in there in a way that raises the atmosphere, but I nearly came to blows with pledges on multiple occasions. It worked against most non-Greeks, but I'm stubborn. So, that wasn't a good idea and it put those guys in a bad, uncomfortable spot

I've been on both ends. I agree.

My best friend went to LSU and he joined a fraternity ONLY because their tickets are on a lottery system and you're guaranteed tickets if you're Greek. That's kind of 17d up, but my point is it's not unheard of to give Greeks preferential treatment when it comes to tickets. I don't want to go that far, but I think they should carve a section for each organization for a fee. Doesn't even have to be money. Make it community service. The most hours equal the best spot. The best GPA's equal the best spot. There's a win-win somewhere to be had.

Make it "fair" by opening it up to any organization. It doesn't have to be only fraternities. I truly believe the student section would be bigger and louder if people were surrounded by their friends rather than them having to leave to meet up with their friends in the junction.

Lloyd Christmas
04-25-2014, 02:43 PM
I've been on both ends. I agree.

My best friend went to LSU and he joined a fraternity ONLY because their tickets are on a lottery system and you're guaranteed tickets if you're Greek. That's kind of 17d up, but my point is it's not unheard of to give Greeks preferential treatment when it comes to tickets. I don't want to go that far, but I think they should carve a section for each organization for a fee. Doesn't even have to be money. Make it community service. The most hours equal the best spot. The best GPA's equal the best spot. There's a win-win somewhere to be had.

Make it "fair" by opening it up to any organization. It doesn't have to be only fraternities. I truly believe the student section would be bigger and louder if people were surrounded by their friends rather than them having to leave to meet up with their friends in the junction.

Them not allowing pledges to save seats anymore hurts the game atmosphere. I had to do it like every other pledge. Nobody bitched, it was just tradition. Sure we pissed off GDI's sometimes, but it's undeniable that having unofficial Greek sections raised the atmosphere. When greeks would sit together we could act like idiots, but we also were really good at getting the whole student section fired up. When pledges can't save seats everyone gets spread out, and the synergy that you had before is now dead. There are 2 ways to fix this:

1. Let pledges save seats again
or
2. Assign Greek sections (which I'm sure would piss some people of).

Think about number 2 for a second, though. If the admin knows where certain frats/sororities are assigned then they can more easily identify the ones that leave games early or don't show up at all. Then things can be adjusted the following season based on some kind of point system.

Don't underestimate the power of pledges either. When we were pledging we were REQUIRED to stay till the end of the game, regardless if it was Alcorn State we were playing. Pledges were also encouraged to get people fired up..which was alot easier when they all sat together.

Anyone who has been to an Auburn game at Jordan Hare should know what I'm talking about with all of this.

bluelightstar
04-25-2014, 03:14 PM
I vote for block seating

LiterallyPolice
04-25-2014, 05:09 PM

Hmmmm..... How about we play on the "north" idea and go with a Game of Thrones theme. We call it "North of The Wall". We make the barrier between the stands and the field an exact, scaled-down replica of The Wall, and all the students are required to dress as Wildlings.

And all the cheerleaders, male and female, must dress as Men of the Nights Watch. Also Bully.

TheRef
04-25-2014, 05:18 PM
Hmmmm..... How about we play on the "north" idea and go with a Game of Thrones theme. We call it "North of The Wall". We make the barrier between the stands and the field an exact, scaled-down replica of The Wall, and all the students are required to dress as Wildlings.

And all the cheerleaders, male and female, must dress as Men of the Nights Watch. Also Bully.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dawgowar
04-25-2014, 05:32 PM
1. This is Our Empty Concrete Section

2. Apathy Alley

3. Davis Wade's Illegitimate ADD Kids

drunkernhelldawg
04-25-2014, 11:49 PM

I'm a fan.

scottycameron
04-26-2014, 11:23 AM
dog pound, not dawg pound, UGA has the dawg pound already. We are the bulldogs, they are the bulldawgs, that's what separates us in the conference. I don't know when or why MSU fans started using the dawg thing but I never got it and never liked it, we have enough trouble getting confused with the confederates. I know it never was around years ago, I guess some of the young crowd thought it was cool. I don't like it, never have, but I'm sure I'm in the minority just like most everything else.
I like the Dog Pound. The Bone Yard is good too (as long as they don't use bone yawrd). I really can't think of anything else.

Edited again, I just saw Dog House, that would be pretty good.

archdog
04-26-2014, 12:08 PM
dog pound, not dawg pound, UGA has the dawg pound already. We are the bulldogs, they are the bulldawgs, that's what separates us in the conference. I don't know when or why MSU fans started using the dawg thing but I never got it and never liked it, we have enough trouble getting confused with the confederates. I know it never was around years ago, I guess some of the young crowd thought it was cool. I don't like it, never have, but I'm sure I'm in the minority just like most everything else.
I like the Dog Pound. The Bone Yard is good too (as long as they don't use bone yawrd). I really can't think of anything else.

Edited again, I just saw Dog House, that would be pretty good.

Bone yard is better than dog pound. Not really sure why I think the "dog pound" is not original considering someone in our own conference uses the same exact term.

Can we build off the term junction or our history. GrindHouse, although currently used by the Grizzlies, boobie coined this term to our lexicon way before them. Our team grinds and we need our students to grind.

gravedigger
04-26-2014, 04:04 PM
Omaha

That way we know ole miss will go scoreless for a half every other year.

M.Fillmore
04-26-2014, 05:07 PM
Omaha

That way we know ole miss will go scoreless for a half every other year.

Well played sir.