Jake Vickerson....CF
Reid Humphreys....1B
Gavin Collins.....C
Seth Heck....SS
John Holland..,.2B
Joey Swinarski..,. RF
Chase Vallot.... DH
Matt Britton.....3B

Vallot goes pro put Dale Burdock at DH or the JC OF Todd and I believe we will get before fall.

Before you say it...I think Rea will go pro.

RossDawg82
04-23-2014, 06:33 PM
Rea will be a twenty something round pick at best. He stays

Bothrops
04-23-2014, 06:45 PM
Wes definitely stays and refines his game.

The Croom Diaries
04-23-2014, 06:47 PM
You're forgetting about Daniel Garner.

I think Britton will get another shot at SS, and Heck will move to 2B. Humphreys will play 3B and Rooker or Ingram will play 1B....assuming Rea is able to get himself drafted.

MetEdDawg
04-23-2014, 06:56 PM
Holland will be playing and starting at SS next year. Dude is currently hitting .419 at CVCC with an OBP of .515. 18 SB, 37 RBI, 29 walks, 9 doubles, 7 triples, and 4 homers. He's legit and he will be starting right away in my opinion.

MsStateBaseball
04-23-2014, 06:56 PM
I truly believe Rea is tired of school etc, he wants to get out make a little money playing ball, go fishing and hunting the rest of the year.

State82
04-23-2014, 06:57 PM

Someone needs to inform Cohen and the Clarion-Ledger's John Talty that Rea is a junior. Cohen referred to Rea as a senior in his comments and the headline of the article today read "Senior tallies 2 RBI's in Governor's Cup while the Ole Miss offense struggles".

MsStateBaseball
04-23-2014, 06:59 PM
In school he is a senior, anyway, I don't he's coming back.

State82
04-23-2014, 07:14 PM
In school he is a senior, anyway, I don't he's coming back.

I really don't think he does either. I think the chances are much greater that he leaves than they are he comes back.

Coach34
04-23-2014, 07:22 PM

Yes but he wont get any higher the next year. Plus I believe he may be "encouraged" to move on....this is his 4th year- he RS'ed because of injury his 1st year

Will James
04-23-2014, 07:24 PM
Dunno if Jake can handle CF defensively.

CadaverDawg
04-23-2014, 07:28 PM

Brown may play CF...Vick in RF

Wish Henderson could get a med redshirt

WeWonItAll(Most)
04-23-2014, 07:32 PM
I truly believe Rea is tired of school etc, he wants to get out make a little money playing ball, go fishing and hunting the rest of the year.

^^^ this is what I've heard.

Coach34
04-23-2014, 07:33 PM
Swinarski, Vick, and Cody Brown will likely be the OF- regardless of position

I think Heck moves to 2nd and the kid that was at Fla State will play SS...Heck's arm is just not top half SEC...but our infield defensively will be hell on wheels with Britton, Hump, Heck, and the Fla State transfer

Todd4State
04-23-2014, 07:39 PM
C- Collins for sure, and hope the draft is kind to us with Vallot. If we get both, one should be the DH.
1B- If Rea gets hot like I think he might, he will go. Reid might start here because we know Cohen loves Britton.
2B- I think we move Heck here. If Holland can play SS at Florida State, he should be good enough to play SS for us.
3B- Britton. He has started to hit lately. If he struggles, I hope we move Humphreys here and then start Garner at first.
SS- Holland
LF- Vickerson. Hopefully his career arc is like his brothers
CF- Robson. Call me crazy, but if he can recover from his elbow injury he is out best option defensively in the outfield.
RF- Cody Brown. Good things happen when he plays.
DH- Garner if we don't get Vallot.

Todd4State
04-23-2014, 07:42 PM
Swinarski, Vick, and Cody Brown will likely be the OF- regardless of position

I think Heck moves to 2nd and the kid that was at Fla State will play SS...Heck's arm is just not top half SEC...but our infield defensively will be hell on wheels with Britton, Hump, Heck, and the Fla State transfer

If Dale Burdick adjusts quickly at the plate, I wouldn't be surprised if Heck is on the bench. Swinarski is going to be good and be in the outfield rotation. He gives us insurance if Robson isn't healthy.

Todd4State
04-23-2014, 07:44 PM

I think Britton will get another shot at SS, and Heck will move to 2B. Humphreys will play 3B and Rooker or Ingram will play 1B....assuming Rea is able to get himself drafted.

We're bringing in Holland to start at SS. I like Rooker, but he's the kind of guy that is going to take a couple of years to develop. He'll be a good player as a junior and senior.

Steakonastick
04-23-2014, 08:08 PM
Cf brown
Ss holland
C Collins
1b humpreys
Dh garner
Rf swinarski
2b heck
Lf vickerson
3b britton

RAYn_Man
04-23-2014, 08:15 PM
I think more people will be leaving than y'all are expecting.

MsStateBaseball
04-23-2014, 08:25 PM
That's right. More will leave. One sure sign is more commits but we should know right after season is over.

messageboardsuperhero
04-23-2014, 08:37 PM
We'll have a lot of good talent in the field next year, but most of it will still be pretty young. Five of the players I'm about to mention will either the sophomores or freshmen, and three of the others will either be in their first or second years out of JC. I expect us to be better offensively in 2015, then really hit our stride in 2016 and going forward with the way we've recruited. Here's my way-too-early lineup:

LF- Brown
CF- Vickerson (He needs to go somewhere this summer and play a bunch of CF. This was Vickerson's first year ever in the OF though and he has a lot of athletic ability, so I think with a full summer and fall he could play solid defense for us in center.)
1B- Humphreys
C- Collins
DH- Garner
SS/2B- Holland
RF- Swinarski
SS/2B- Heck
3B- Britton

Obviously if Brudick and Vallot get here, they'll play roles as well- as will Rooker and Ingram. Don't sleep on incoming freshman Cole Gordon either.

Our pitching should be good too, assuming Tatum, Sexton, Hudson, and Houston make jumps toward they're capabilities. And if Paul Young is healthy, he's a potential game changer. I also really like McCord and Dominguez from California. And BTW, it's awesome that Cohen is recruiting California talent- those guys have more talent out there than they know what to do with. You can really steal some good players from out there if they want to play in front of big crowds where college baseball matters and are okay with moving to rural Mississippi (like Gavin Collins).

Next season's rotation is a mystery right now (outside of Ross), but there are lots of talented pitchers who will throw their names in the ring for spots. Obviously Fitts and Brown are good possibilities- as are Paul Young, Hudson, Sexton, Tatum, etc.

messageboardsuperhero
04-23-2014, 08:40 PM
I think more people will be leaving than y'all are expecting.

Yeah, no doubt one or two of these guys may not come back. That happens every year though, and I'd rather not start stupid transfer rumors when there is no hard reason/proof to back it up. All these predictions are just assuming that most everyone will not transfer.

Coach34
04-23-2014, 08:54 PM
It's pretty safe to say

Vickerson
Britton
Heck
Holland
Humphreys
Brown
Collins

arent going anywhere

maroonmania
04-23-2014, 08:54 PM
Holland will be playing and starting at SS next year. Dude is currently hitting .419 at CVCC with an OBP of .515. 18 SB, 37 RBI, 29 walks, 9 doubles, 7 triples, and 4 homers. He's legit and he will be starting right away in my opinion.

After the way Heck has played this year at SS he will be playing SS next year unless something strange happens. Holland more likely goes to the 2nd base opening.

Goat Holder
04-23-2014, 09:02 PM
I'd be surprised if Garner was still in Starkville next year. We simply have too much talent for someone to not have a position on the field.

Dude....have you not learned anything from this year? You were right.....Britton was not a SS. He's not going back. You going back on that now? Especially when he's a MLB level third baseman. If he hits above .250, he's a lock to start there. And he appears to be coming around at the plate.

Humphreys will start...somewhere. He might be DH-ing if someone emerges at 1B.

Goat Holder
04-23-2014, 09:03 PM
I agree. Don't mess up a good thing.

Goat Holder
04-23-2014, 09:12 PM
You REALLY want to grow some wool? Go on into 2016

Collins, Humphreys, Swinarski as 3rd year players (add in Ingram and Rooker but they are unproven)
Holland as a Sr.
Luke Alexander at SS as a freshman
Brown, Garner, Robson, Hann as 4th year players (assuming they all stay)

Pitching staff: Hudson, Tatum, Sexton as 3rd year players
Brown, Gentry, Shelly, Young as Srs. if they are still here
Plus all the other redshirted freshmen

That's a national contender. Oh, and add in the rest of the 2015 class which is more stacked than the 2013 was. Hunter Stovall from Pelham is a STUD. Dude got named Mr. Alabama baseball as a sophomore. And he won't get drafted because he's like 5'8", 170 lbs.

maroonmania
04-23-2014, 09:16 PM
Yep, Britton has started off at SS two different seasons and hasn't been able to keep the job either time. Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting a different result (or so they say). And wanting to toss Heck from the SS position reminds me of someone who would want to get rid of a FG kicker who is automatic from 45 yards and in for a kicker who may or may not be as consistent but might have the leg to be able to hit a 55 yarder.

MetEdDawg
04-23-2014, 09:24 PM
After the way Heck has played this year at SS he will be playing SS next year unless something strange happens. Holland more likely goes to the 2nd base opening.

I'm just not sure about that. Holland was a true freshman starting at SS for FSU. Then he goes to CVCC and has started there the entire time. I know Heck has done pretty well and only has 3 errors and a good FP, but I just don't think long term he's got an above average arm from SS, which you really need in the SEC. Holland has that.

Heck has done well no question, but I think once Pirtle leaves, moving Heck to 2B and having Holland at SS will be the best fit. Holland is a true SS that has all the tools and I think he takes that spot. He's gonna be a good one. All the people I know that have connections to CVCC say this kid is absolutely legit.

messageboardsuperhero

Collins, Humphreys, Swinarski as 3rd year players (add in Ingram and Rooker but they are unproven)
Holland as a Sr.

That's a national contender. Oh, and add in the rest of the 2015 class which is more stacked than the 2013 was. Hunter Stovall from Pelham is a STUD. Dude got named Mr. Alabama baseball as a sophomore. And he won't get drafted because he's like 5'8", 170 lbs.

Yep. Like I said, we'll be good in 2015- but 2016 is where Cohen and the program he's built will start to hit its stride.

Todd4State

Holland as a Sr.

You are right about Stovall being a stud. As far as being drafted, we'll see but he has gone to some big showcases and has impressed some scouts. His size is an issue no doubt, but he is very athletic. I could see him at catcher but he is athletic enough to play second base as well.

Todd4State
04-23-2014, 09:25 PM
Yep, Britton has started off at SS two different seasons and hasn't been able to keep the job either time. Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting a different result (or so they say). And wanting to toss Heck from the SS position reminds me of someone who would want to get rid of a FG kicker who is automatic from 45 yards and in for a kicker who may or may not be as consistent but might have the leg to be able to hit a 55 yarder.

It's not so much about Heck being not good as it is about Holland being better. Most SS can transition to 2B reasonably quickly.

Todd4State
04-23-2014, 09:28 PM

Holland as a Sr.

If we get Austin Riley to school, he will play and start right away. He is the best prospect in the state right now as a junior. Riley could be our first dual position guy that has an impact on both the mound and at the plate. Jake Mangum should play as a freshman as well.

maroonmania
04-23-2014, 09:29 PM
I'm just not sure about that. Holland was a true freshman starting at SS for FSU. Then he goes to CVCC and has started there the entire time. I know Heck has done pretty well and only has 3 errors and a good FP, but I just don't think long term he's got an above average arm from SS, which you really need in the SEC. Holland has that.

Heck has done well no question, but I think once Pirtle leaves, moving Heck to 2B and having Holland at SS will be the best fit. Holland is a true SS that has all the tools and I think he takes that spot. He's gonna be a good one. All the people I know that have connections to CVCC say this kid is absolutely legit.

So for us now Heck has the highest fielding percentage on the infield at the toughest position (.981 with only 3 errors). What was Holland's fielding percentage playing SS at FSU? Heck doesn't have a rocket arm but he's shown me on multiple occasions that he can make all the throws he needs to be able to make at the position.

MetEdDawg
04-23-2014, 09:29 PM
You are right about Stovall being a stud. As far as being drafted, we'll see but he has gone to some big showcases and has impressed some scouts. His size is an issue no doubt, but he is very athletic. I could see him at catcher but he is athletic enough to play second base as well.

Saw Stovall last year in the playoffs against Spain Park (Stovall goes to my old high school so I had a vested interest in watching). He looked pretty good for a sophomore and had a pretty decent home to 2nd time. Plays a little chippy which could be good or bad. He's definitely got the tools to be the catcher of the future, but he's got to grow some if catcher is going to be his college position.

He will be in action again this weekend against Spain Park in the 2nd round of the playoffs. I'm heading back up this weekend so I will try and get a report on him.

messageboardsuperhero
04-23-2014, 09:31 PM

Since you seem to be in the know on this- what's the scouting report on Holland? How does he compare to Pirtle?

MetEdDawg
04-23-2014, 09:38 PM
Since you seem to be in the know on this- what's the scouting report on Holland? How does he compare to Pirtle?

Better all around and it's not because Pirtle sucks, it's just that Holland has the potential to be that good. He could bat anywhere in Cohen's lineup, which we know has a tendency to be unconventional (see Pirtle batting 4th). He plays at CVCC which has a decent sized field and he has 4 homers and 7 triples. Not sure how many homers he hit there but it's not a tiny ball park. It's a long 395 to center and 375 in the gaps.

He's got some speed, he's got the arm, he can hit for contact, he's got gap potential. I think he's going to come here with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove after what FSU did to him. I'm expecting big things. The coaches at CVCC rave about him so I really think he can come in here and make an instant impact.

As always with JUCOs, the concern is coming in and adjusting to the SEC. But after seeing ACC baseball his freshman year and decent competition at CVCC, I'm not too worried about that.

Will James
04-23-2014, 09:57 PM
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but over the course of the season we haven't been the best defensive team. Don't let the error count fool you, everyone knows there's MUCH MUCH more to defense than not making errors. Detz has a higher fielding percentage than Britton... nuff said on fielding percentage.

Our team BABIP is the second highest in the league (Mizzou) at .330 which means we haven't been getting to those balls and making those plays. Taking Detz and Vick off the field has obviously helped with this but we haven't been "the best defensive team in the league" all year long.

Homedawg
04-23-2014, 10:13 PM

We don't think he's going to play catcher in college. I'll leave it at that.

Homedawg
04-23-2014, 10:15 PM

I agree w this and he won't be our cf.

Homedawg
04-23-2014, 10:18 PM
C- Collins for sure, and hope the draft is kind to us with Vallot. If we get both, one should be the DH.
1B- If Rea gets hot like I think he might, he will go. Reid might start here because we know Cohen loves Britton.
2B- I think we move Heck here. If Holland can play SS at Florida State, he should be good enough to play SS for us.
3B- Britton. He has started to hit lately. If he struggles, I hope we move Humphreys here and then start Garner at first.
SS- Holland
LF- Vickerson. Hopefully his career arc is like his brothers
CF- Robson. Call me crazy, but if he can recover from his elbow injury he is out best option defensively in the outfield.
RF- Cody Brown. Good things happen when he plays.
DH- Garner if we don't get Vallot.

I find it hard to believe that Robson and garner will be back. Robson has a lonnnnnnnnngggggg way to go to get back in jc's good graces I assure you.

Todd4State
04-23-2014, 10:21 PM
Saw Stovall last year in the playoffs against Spain Park (Stovall goes to my old high school so I had a vested interest in watching). He looked pretty good for a sophomore and had a pretty decent home to 2nd time. Plays a little chippy which could be good or bad. He's definitely got the tools to be the catcher of the future, but he's got to grow some if catcher is going to be his college position.

He will be in action again this weekend against Spain Park in the 2nd round of the playoffs. I'm heading back up this weekend so I will try and get a report on him.

I'm not too worried about his height. Pudge Rodriguez was like 5'9" or something like that but he was very athletic. Plus, I think Stovall will likely grow some to around 5'10"- 5'11".

Todd4State
04-23-2014, 10:24 PM
We don't think he's going to play catcher in college. I'll leave it at that.

That's fine with me. He's a player wherever he plays.

Todd4State
04-23-2014, 10:26 PM
I find it hard to believe that Robson and garner will be back. Robson has a lonnnnnnnnngggggg way to go to get back in jc's good graces I assure you.

He has plenty of time to go that long way. How many times this year have we heard about someone being in the doghouse and then lo and behold they are starting? At this point I'm not worried about who is going as much as who is here and who is potentially coming in.

The Croom Diaries
04-24-2014, 08:00 AM
I'd be surprised if Garner was still in Starkville next year. We simply have too much talent for someone to not have a position on the field.

Dude....have you not learned anything from this year? You were right.....Britton was not a SS. He's not going back. You going back on that now? Especially when he's a MLB level third baseman. If he hits above .250, he's a lock to start there. And he appears to be coming around at the plate.

Humphreys will start...somewhere. He might be DH-ing if someone emerges at 1B.

I never said Britton was not a SS. I said I thought Heck was better defensively. I thought Britton was a screw-up. He proved me right the first couple of weeks but he's been very good at 3B. I consider 3B an offensive position. I think we are wasting space if he's starting at 3B when we could have Humphreys, Garner, etc. in the lineup (next year). I don't think he's even close to a MLB 3rd baseman. I've never seen a big league guy who can't hit playing third. If he has any pro potential, it's as a utility guy who can play incredible defense....and I think that's what he should be next year - a guy who subs in late for defense, probably at 3B. In my opinion, he should compete at 2B and SS at the beginning of the year and he'll probably lose out to Holland and Heck.

If we have "too much talent for someone to not have a position on the field" then please make it Britton and not Garner.

The Croom Diaries
04-24-2014, 08:02 AM

Heck does not have a great arm. If this Holland kid can field and has a better arm, Heck is definitely more suited for 2B.

Goat Holder
04-24-2014, 08:46 AM
I never said Britton was not a SS. I said I thought Heck was better defensively. I thought Britton was a screw-up. He proved me right the first couple of weeks but he's been very good at 3B. I consider 3B an offensive position. I think we are wasting space if he's starting at 3B when we could have Humphreys, Garner, etc. in the lineup (next year). I don't think he's even close to a MLB 3rd baseman. I've never seen a big league guy who can't hit playing third. If he has any pro potential, it's as a utility guy who can play incredible defense....and I think that's what he should be next year - a guy who subs in late for defense, probably at 3B. In my opinion, he should compete at 2B and SS at the beginning of the year and he'll probably lose out to Holland and Heck.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I still think Britton has much better top end defensive talent than Heck (maybe not MUCH better, but better). But for whatever reason, he didn't handle the 'leadership' or 'stability' that SS requires very well. Heck did, that's why he's our full time starter. But simply put, Britton helps us win games at 3B. When I say he's a MLB third baseman, I mean defensively. Obviously he can't hit like Ken Caminiti. In that same breath, I don't think moving him to 2B is really an option because he helps too much at 3B. He's found his position.

Also, I do get your point about 3B being an offensive position. But John Cohen baseball isn't exactly MLB template if you hadn't noticed. Plus Rubber Arm and Brown will still be pitching for us next year, and they are ground ball pitchers.

If we have "too much talent for someone to not have a position on the field" then please make it Britton and not Garner.

Garner spent too much time hammered in the Junction. I love seeing Alabama boys succeed at MSU but he needs to grow up in a hurry.

Coach34
04-24-2014, 09:02 AM
So for us now Heck has the highest fielding percentage on the infield at the toughest position (.981 with only 3 errors). What was Holland's fielding percentage playing SS at FSU? Heck doesn't have a rocket arm but he's shown me on multiple occasions that he can make all the throws he needs to be able to make at the position.

To your analogy- Heck would be more like a guy who was automatic from 35 yards- not 45

he has a great glove but a weak arm. The plays he doesn't make at SS because of his arm don't go as errors- but as hits because the runners beat the throw. He is a top 3 SS in the SEC glove-wise, but easily bottom half SEC arm

and Beitton started off as a 2nd baseman his Freshman year- not SS

RAYn_Man
04-24-2014, 09:08 AM

Britton started opening day his freshman year at shortstop.

Goat Holder
04-24-2014, 09:11 AM
Britton was our opening day SS:

http://www.hailstate.com//fls/16800/stats/bb/2012/ms0217.htm

Only took a few weekends though, before Frazier got moved over there then Britton/Frost platooned @ 2B the rest of the way.

Sufficed to say, Cohen has always been impressed with his defense in practice.

Coach34
04-24-2014, 09:54 AM
I apologize. I did not remember Britton at SS his freshman year.

As to Croom Diaries- regardless of what your idea is of a 3rd baseman- we have to do what we have team-wise. And in this Era of the Dead Bat- great defense is just as important as hitting. There are so many fewer extra base-hits now teams aren't going to get away from you. Having a stellar infield defensively with all the bunting and shit that goes on will make your team good. That's the bottom line

smootness
04-24-2014, 10:20 AM
Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I still think Britton has much better top end defensive talent than Heck (maybe not MUCH better, but better). But for whatever reason, he didn't handle the 'leadership' or 'stability' that SS requires very well.

There's no doubt this is true, but it doesn't matter what his talent level is if he can't make it translate into games. The bottom line is, Britton has always been a defensive liability for us at SS because he can't make routine plays and often makes a bad play that costs us. I would think his time trying to prove himself at SS is probably over.

Big Nuts
04-24-2014, 10:25 AM
I miss Adam Frazier!!!

Homedawg
04-24-2014, 10:49 AM
I miss Adam Frazier!!!

Amen. Best all around ss to ever play here. Really isn't close either.

KB21
04-24-2014, 10:57 AM
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but over the course of the season we haven't been the best defensive team. Don't let the error count fool you, everyone knows there's MUCH MUCH more to defense than not making errors. Detz has a higher fielding percentage than Britton... nuff said on fielding percentage.

Our team BABIP is the second highest in the league (Mizzou) at .330 which means we haven't been getting to those balls and making those plays. Taking Detz and Vick off the field has obviously helped with this but we haven't been "the best defensive team in the league" all year long.

You can't make that judgement without looking at the batted ball profile against this pitching staff. Do we induce a lot of ground balls that our guys aren't getting to, or do we get a lot of line drive shots and chink flies hit on us that fall in? Both will have an effect on your opp BABIP.

I don't think they keep up with DRS at the college level. Defense is a very hard aspect of the game to quantify, but I think DRS is the best metric we have for defense.

KB21
04-24-2014, 12:35 PM
This maybe should go into another thread, but baseball musings has a tool where you can plug in your players numbers and optimize the line up.

http://www.baseballmusings.com/cgi-bin/LineupAnalysis.py?Player0=Brett+Pirtle&OBA0=.413&Slug0=.426&Player1=Gavin+Collins&OBA1=.381&Slug1=.487&Player2=Derrick+Armstrong&OBA2=.364&Slug2=.339&Player3=Alex+Detz&OBA3=.346&Slug3=.308&Player4=Seth+Heck&OBA4=.363&Slug4=.303&Player5=CT+Bradford+&OBA5=.326&Slug5=.349&Player6=Cody+Brown&OBA6=.316&Slug6=.385&Player7=Wes+Rea&OBA7=.250&Slug7=.213&Player8=Matthew+Britton&OBA8=.304&Slug8=.205&Model=0

Essentially, MSU's best line up would be one of two:

1 - Brett Pirtle
2 - Derrick Armstrong
3 - Alex Detz
4 - Gavin Collins
5 - Seth Heck
6 - Cody Brown
7 - CT Bradford
8 - Wes Rea
9 - Matthew Britton

or

1 - Seth Heck
2 - Brett Pirtle
3 - Alex Detz
4 - Gavin Collins
5 - Derrick Armstrong
6 - Cody Brown
7 - CT Bradford
8 - Wes Rea
9 - Matthew Britton

Either of these line ups would be expected to produce 4.349 runs per game. Long story short, that's not good. The hitters on this team are simply not getting on base enough, and when they are on base, hardly anyone is hitting the ball into gaps and getting doubles to drive them in.

As to next year's line up, I would have to see how Cody Brown develops the rest of the year before I pencil him in as the lead off hitter next year. I want my lead off man to be an OBP maven. Gavin Collins should be the #4 hitter. He's slugging .487 in conference play this year with a .381 OBP. That's not bad at all for a true freshman. With Cody Brown, his OBP for the year is .474, which is great. The best on the team. His OBP in conference play is .316, but he started slow and really hot a hot weekend against Missouri.

If I were to project a line up, I would go one of two ways. The first is with the expectation that Cody Brown will continue to get on base at a high level:

1 - Cody Brown/CF
2 - Seth Heck/2B
3 - John Holland/SS
4 - Gavin Collins/C

IMO, 5-9 will have to be decided next season some time. We don't yet know what we have with Reid Humphrey's and Joe Swinarski. Ideally, those two would hit 5th and 6th, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Swinarski start out hitting 7th or 8th.

maroonmania
04-24-2014, 12:47 PM
To your analogy- Heck would be more like a guy who was automatic from 35 yards- not 45

he has a great glove but a weak arm. The plays he doesn't make at SS because of his arm don't go as errors- but as hits because the runners beat the throw. He is a top 3 SS in the SEC glove-wise, but easily bottom half SEC arm

No, my analogy is much more accurate. I've watched a bunch of games between HSTV and regular TV and Heck makes ALL the routine plays and I've seen him make a few great plays. No, he doesn't have the strongest arm at SS in the SEC, and I never said he did, but to equate him to a FG kicker that you can only count on from 35 yards and in is frankly ridiculous.

The Croom Diaries
04-24-2014, 03:31 PM
Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I still think Britton has much better top end defensive talent than Heck (maybe not MUCH better, but better). But for whatever reason, he didn't handle the 'leadership' or 'stability' that SS requires very well. Heck did, that's why he's our full time starter. But simply put, Britton helps us win games at 3B. When I say he's a MLB third baseman, I mean defensively. Obviously he can't hit like Ken Caminiti. In that same breath, I don't think moving him to 2B is really an option because he helps too much at 3B. He's found his position.

Also, I do get your point about 3B being an offensive position. But John Cohen baseball isn't exactly MLB template if you hadn't noticed. Plus Rubber Arm and Brown will still be pitching for us next year, and they are ground ball pitchers.

The reason I said what I did about Britton in the first place was because I didn't think he had the stones to play SS, or any position, at Mississippi State as a starter. He proved me right when he lost the SS job, but I have changed my tune after seeing his play at 3B - which requires more stones really. I agree that he is more talented than Heck. I think he would do better at SS right now honestly because he has more confidence than I think he's ever had....but I'm fine the way we have it right now because Heck is hitting and I'd rather have him at SS than 3B.

The Croom Diaries
04-24-2014, 03:48 PM
As to Croom Diaries- regardless of what your idea is of a 3rd baseman- we have to do what we have team-wise. And in this Era of the Dead Bat- great defense is just as important as hitting. There are so many fewer extra base-hits now teams aren't going to get away from you. Having a stellar infield defensively with all the bunting and shit that goes on will make your team good. That's the bottom line

Well we are talking about next year, and next year I think we'll have more hitting than this year and we won't need Britton's sorry bat in the lineup. It's not the dead-bat era that is killing our offense, it's the players. We are 13th in the SEC in doubles, 13th in total bases, t-13th in HR, 12th in slugging. We replaced Frazier (who hit 20 doubles) and Renfroe (who it 16 doubles and 16 HR) and Rea's doubles and HR aren't close to last year. Next year we should have Collins, Humphreys, Brown, Garner, and this Holland kid, plus Heck who gets into a double every now and then. We are reverting back to 2012 this year, but next year we'll be back to 2013 style of play.

And they are lowering the seams next year so that should help some.