PDA

View Full Version : Boobie's new team settles what has to be the most frivolous lawsuit I have ever seen

starkvegasdawg
04-23-2014, 03:13 PM
Below is the heart of the class action lawsuit. I'll just let you read it and shake your head. 1. That somebody would even sue over this and 2. That the judge didn't have the bailiff throw the bum out on his butt.

"The Buffalo News reported that Jerry Wojcik, a Bills fan, claimed the team violated the federal Telephone Consumer Protection Act when he received three messages more in a two-week span than the 10 messages the team promised."

The Bills organization settled for $3,000,000.00. The guy that originally filed the suit will get $5,000. The lawyer will get $562,000. THe remaining fans in the class action suit will all split the remaining $2,500,000.00.

Three million dollars over three text messages.

jumbo
04-23-2014, 03:18 PM
damn. I need to find a ca suit to get in on

PassInterference
04-23-2014, 03:27 PM
Years ago before telemarketer reforms, those bastards would call my house 10 times every day. I don't want to ever see that happen to cell phones. It could be especially bad with cell phones since they are next to you 24/7.

I'm good with this lawsuit. I assume there was already a New York law with penalties spelled out.

The Bills should have 1) known the law, and 2) followed it.

dawgs
04-23-2014, 03:45 PM
i pretty much refuse to download any free game app these days because i downloaded a few awhile back and immediately started getting calls because i "consented" to be contacted when i downloaded the game. ****ing horseshit. i told them to take me off the list and never call back, then deleted the game.

dawgs
04-23-2014, 03:50 PM
you have to think of civil lawsuit penalties as the punishment for breaking the a law/rule/regulation. if there wasn't a punishment, the bills (and others) would see that the law had no teeth and continue escalating the number of telemarketing calls. there's also a lot of facts not included in your post (i don't know them either, but i highly doubt it's as simple and straight forward as your post makes it seem...kinda like the mcdonald's coffee case). the biggest argument could be whether the lawyers deserved over $500M, but that represented only about 1/6 of the settlement. and finally, i'm sure this case will be appealed and likely could see the settlement reduced (again maybe this is the appellate decision, but you haven't included that info or a link, so hard to say without knowing more).

DawgHouseUnited
04-23-2014, 03:51 PM
Years ago before telemarketer reforms, those bastards would call my house 10 times every day. I don't want to ever see that happen to cell phones. It could be especially bad with cell phones since they are next to you 24/7.

I'm good with this lawsuit. I assume there was already a New York law with penalties spelled out.

The Bills should have 1) known the law, and 2) followed it.

I would imagine that this is a bit different, since you have to subscribe to receive text messages. Telemarketers were unsolicited.

The Bills paid this to get the silly lawsuit over with, and they paid the 2.5mil in credit to be used on the Bills website or at the stadium.

ETA: LINK (http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/bills-agree-to-3-million-settlement-in-fans-text-message-lawsuit-20140421) to an article on the suit

sandwolf
04-23-2014, 10:41 PM
and finally, i'm sure this case will be appealed and likely could see the settlement reduced (again maybe this is the appellate decision, but you haven't included that info or a link, so hard to say without knowing more).

There is nothing to appeal. It was a settlement, not a judgement.

codeDawg
04-23-2014, 10:53 PM
Below is the heart of the class action lawsuit. I'll just let you read it and shake your head. 1. That somebody would even sue over this and 2. That the judge didn't have the bailiff throw the bum out on his butt.

"The Buffalo News reported that Jerry Wojcik, a Bills fan, claimed the team violated the federal Telephone Consumer Protection Act when he received three messages more in a two-week span than the 10 messages the team promised."

The Bills organization settled for $3,000,000.00. The guy that originally filed the suit will get $5,000. The lawyer will get $562,000. THe remaining fans in the class action suit will all split the remaining $2,500,000.00.

Three million dollars over three text messages.

The rules that are in place are what keep our inboxes and phones from becoming more of a mess than what they already are. This started with one guy's complaint and grew because the organization ignored the rules for a lot more people. I don't have a problem with the law, or the judicial system punishing law breakers.

Some digital marketing manager is going to get fired and will never be able to find another related job because he didn't follow rules that the entire industry knows about. Sucks for them.

dawgoneyall
04-24-2014, 06:31 AM
I see we have some lawyers on this board.

When will we ever see people suing lawyers?

dawgs
04-24-2014, 09:36 AM
There is nothing to appeal. It was a settlement, not a judgement.

i see that now.

dawgs
04-24-2014, 09:37 AM
I see we have some lawyers on this board.

When will we ever see people suing lawyers?

it happens all the time and lawyers get suspended or disbarred for breaking the rules regularly