PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting update

BeastMan
04-23-2014, 09:07 AM
http://3rdand57.com/msu-recruiting-update-2/

Outside of things in the story, with Leo committing to Bama, Amonte Caban has to be priority #1. Dude is a baller. Steve R says we lead Peters and that is huge.

I posted this on the Rant on 2/28 so folks don't think this is sour grapes:

"I know this is MSU fan blasphemy but Caban and Lewis are close and Caban may be a bigger hitter. I'm really hoping for both. Would be 2 heat seeking missiles at LB."

http://www.secrant.com/rant/display.aspx?sp=48555195&s=2&p=47640194#48555195

PassInterference
04-23-2014, 09:12 AM
MSU offered 197 kids for 2015?

In other news, it appears Mullen believes in signing a QB every year. I thought Croom taught us to sign one 2* every 2-3 years.

BeastMan
04-23-2014, 09:12 AM
MSU offered 197 kids for 2015?

So far...

Here's a list http://3rdand57.com/msu-recruiting-2015-mega-post/

Dirtbagdawg
04-23-2014, 09:17 AM
Who is Peterson? Did you mean Patterson? As in javon patterson?

BeastMan
04-23-2014, 09:28 AM
Who is Peterson? Did you mean Patterson? As in javon patterson?

My phone must have auto-corrected Peters. I mean Jamal Peters. I think we're doing well with Javon Patterson but I think he goes to Ole Miss

blacklistedbully
04-23-2014, 10:45 AM
According to 247, Tiano has great size, but is listed as a Pro-style and ran a 4.96 forty. On the surface that seems like a square peg in a round hole, ala Tyler Russell. Am I wrong?

jumbo
04-23-2014, 10:50 AM
people get a little too hung up on what 24/7 lists QBs as. I've always seen it more as what style offense the team plays. Not QB can/can't run.

sandwolf
04-23-2014, 10:53 AM
According to 247, Tiano has great size, but is listed as a Pro-style and ran a 4.96 forty. On the surface that seems like a square peg in a round hole, ala Tyler Russell. Am I wrong?

Watch his video. He is more than capable in the running game and he fits what we like to do with our QB's.

blacklistedbully
04-23-2014, 11:00 AM
I hope you guys are right. It's one thing to run against HS competition, quite another to do it versus SEC defenses. If that 40 time is accurate, it concerns me. Though I do think 40 times are often over-emphasized, a nearly 5-second one makes me worried he won't have the quick burst he might need to escape SEC front-sevens.

It_Could_Happen
04-23-2014, 11:06 AM
I've heard Will Gragg will visit this summer and will be at one of our early non-conference games.

hailmari
04-23-2014, 11:07 AM
In his video, he almost looks like what Fitzgerald did running-wise in his videos, but he can already sling it too.

BeastMan
04-23-2014, 11:29 AM
I've heard Will Gragg will visit this summer and will be at one of our early non-conference games.

Gragg is a heck of a prospect

BeastMan
04-23-2014, 11:31 AM
Watch his video. He is more than capable in the running game and he fits what we like to do with our QB's.

I think folks make to big of a deal of 40 times vs mobility. Sand wolf nails it. Tiano has enough mobility to fit Mullen's system.

RichardHarrow
04-23-2014, 11:46 AM
http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2014/04/alabama_no_2_on_list_of_4-star.html

What is the deal with Fletcher Adams naming Ole Miss as his leader? Like most, I assumed he'd be a lock for us since his brother is here

BeastMan
04-23-2014, 11:52 AM
It means he's enjoying recruiting. He's just going through the process

smootness
04-23-2014, 12:02 PM
My phone must have auto-corrected Peters. I mean Jamal Peters. I think we're doing well with Javon Patterson but I think he goes to Ole Miss

Steve has said Auburn leads for Patterson and that we are 2nd as of now ahead of Ole Miss.

BeastMan
04-23-2014, 12:16 PM
Steve has said Auburn leads for Patterson and that we are 2nd as of now ahead of Ole Miss.

I respect Steve but from what my friends in Petal say, I'm not leaning that way. From what I've gathered, he will likely go to Ole Miss. Hughes has done a great job with him and momma like MSU but it's Javon's choice and his heart is at OM. He's been an OM fan. I don't think anyone out of state is a legitimate threat.

ETA- I hope Steve is right and he certainly has more inside knowledge than me.

dawg21
04-23-2014, 12:29 PM
Tulane is racking up (for Tulane).

Tiano is a great looking prospect (3* my ass). I don't care, he looks similar to Fitz. Guys, its apparent to me that Mullen has waited for Tyler Russell before putting the full court press on building QB depth. He has done a tremendous job of evaluating talent. Several of the QB prospects that we almost signed last year played as true freshman at other schools, including Damien. Mullen's belief in player leadership gave Tyler many more snaps than it should've been, but I understand why. Its the same way with all the other positions, it builds accountability and discipline. Now we are going to sign big athletic QBs. Its almost like a different Mullen era starting this year.

Another thing- OL evaluation, I wish we could find OL like we do QBs, RBs, CBs, LBs, etc. I'm not saying we do terrible, but it seems like we struggle to sign the people we want.

BeastMan
04-23-2014, 12:35 PM
Another thing- OL evaluation, I wish we could find OL like we do QBs, RBs, CBs, LBs, etc. I'm not saying we do terrible, but it seems like we struggle to sign the people we want.

I have some concern there but its not how many quality guys we are on, it's having legit LT prospects. Outside of Tommy Champion, we don't have great ins on those big athletic OTs with great feet. There are a ton of quality guys we have a good shot with like Polk, Furlow, Welch, Wommack, etc... that are good prospects but you look at them and say they are either OGs or maybe RT. I think we'll sign plenty of good OL prospects, I'd just like another guy like Champion who is a athletic OT

engie
04-23-2014, 01:16 PM
I have some concern there but its not how many quality guys we are on, it's having legit LT prospects. Outside of Tommy Champion, we don't have great ins on those big athletic OTs with great feet. There are a ton of quality guys we have a good shot with like Polk, Furlow, Welch, Wommack, etc... that are good prospects but you look at them and say they are either OGs or maybe RT. I think we'll sign plenty of good OL prospects, I'd just like another guy like Champion who is a athletic OT

Can Danley play LT?

I'm very, very high on Senior's potential there -- just need depth...

Dirtbagdawg
04-23-2014, 02:02 PM
I respect Steve but from what my friends in Petal say, I'm not leaning that way. From what I've gathered, he will likely go to Ole Miss. Hughes has done a great job with him and momma like MSU but it's Javon's choice and his heart is at OM. He's been an OM fan. I don't think anyone out of state is a legitimate threat.

ETA- I hope Steve is right and he certainly has more inside knowledge than me.

I just can't see him going to ole miss when his pal jesse Jackson is in his ear
Throughout the recruiting process. Plus, tony Hughes is recruiting him.
Whatever he decides he's a great kid. I have a lot of family in Petal. And they all speak highly of him. Whoever gets
Him will be very lucky. Well mannered kid who has his head on straight.

BeastMan
04-23-2014, 02:40 PM
Everyone i know in petal says the same. They say he's a great kid

Lloyd Christmas
04-23-2014, 02:49 PM
Tiano can move but he is still more pro style than anything (which concerns me). He's at least a hell of a lot more athletic than Russell

Dirtbagdawg
04-23-2014, 04:02 PM
Everyone i know in petal says the same. They say he's a great kid

What's your take on Spivey? I've heard we lead but he would jump
On an ole miss offer if given one. Although I've heard ole miss won't offer. One would think
He's not too happy with ole miss for not offering up to this point. I really like his film

BeastMan
04-23-2014, 04:33 PM
What's your take on Spivey? I've heard we lead but he would jump
On an ole miss offer if given one. Although I've heard ole miss won't offer. One would think
He's not too happy with ole miss for not offering up to this point. I really like his film

I def like Spivey and want him on board. If you follow recruiting, you can't be worried about if guys might flip. Spivey seems like an outgoing kid that would recruit for you. Not sure what position he ends up at in college but don't care. Get him on board

defiantdog
04-23-2014, 10:16 PM
http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2014/04/alabama_no_2_on_list_of_4-star.html

What is the deal with Fletcher Adams naming Ole Miss as his leader? Like most, I assumed he'd be a lock for us since his brother is here

AL.com doesn't know much outside of Alabama and Auburn. I believe they were being a little presumptuous because I don't think Adams has listed any leaders. It's basically between us and Bama. The only issue here is, Lewis and Adams are pretty good friends. Leo will be recruiting him hard to Bama.

msstate7
04-23-2014, 10:21 PM
AL.com doesn't know much outside of Alabama and Auburn. I believe they were being a little presumptuous because I don't think Adams has listed any leaders. It's basically between us and Bama. The only issue here is, Lewis and Adams are pretty good friends. Leo will be recruiting him hard to Bama.

Hopefully his brother has more pull than a friend. In the end, I'm guessing we win bc his family would be able to stay close to home and watch both brothers at the same time. Hope anyway...

maroonmania
04-23-2014, 11:02 PM
Hopefully his brother has more pull than a friend. In the end, I'm guessing we win bc his family would be able to stay close to home and watch both brothers at the same time. Hope anyway...

You would think with Nelson being so early in his career at MSU that that would win out in the end. Can't believe the family would want multiple years of having sons playing on different teams at the same time if given the option. But its Fletcher's decision in the end I guess.

Coach34
04-24-2014, 06:39 AM
I've seen this situation as a coach with a player of mine. He was an all-state lineman that had a brother playing for Ole Miss. I of course helped recruit him for State. Jackie, Melvin, and John Hendrick did a great job recruiting him. He wanted to go to State. Badly. But in the end, OM bought his family a car which helped swing things- but the overriding thing was wanting to play side by side with his brother. Thats a powerful thing to sell to guys.

Lets hope it works for us in this case

msstate7
04-24-2014, 06:47 AM
I've seen this situation as a coach with a player of mine. He was an all-state lineman that had a brother playing for Ole Miss. I of course helped recruit him for State. Jackie, Melvin, and John Hendrick did a great job recruiting him. He wanted to go to State. Badly. But in the end, OM bought his family a car which helped swing things- but the overriding thing was wanting to play side by side with his brother. Thats a powerful thing to sell to guys.

Lets hope it works for us in this case

So you buying the car?****

Madisonmd
04-24-2014, 07:25 AM
Just another note, one SEC recruiter says top 5 kids in MS have some serious academic issues, Adams being one.

msstate7
04-24-2014, 07:34 AM
Just another note, one SEC recruiter says top 5 kids in MS have some serious academic issues, Adams being one.

I just don't understand how these kids with all this talent can't get eligible. I love miss st, but it's not like getting into Princeton.

Political Hack
04-24-2014, 07:46 AM
I don't anticipate this year ending well for State.

mic
04-24-2014, 08:02 AM

First I have heard of this ...
Patterson will be a early enroll

Goat Holder
04-24-2014, 08:16 AM
Glad I don't f*ck with recrootin anymore then. Football is just a damn futile effort at Emm Ess You.

sandwolf
04-24-2014, 08:37 AM

Any particular reason you feel that way?

GreenheadDawg
04-24-2014, 09:14 AM

spoken like a true state fan.

Dirtbagdawg
04-24-2014, 09:33 AM

F*ck off

Percho
04-24-2014, 10:05 AM

Leg humping? :)

BeastMan
04-24-2014, 10:11 AM
First I have heard of this ...
Patterson will be a early enroll

Ditto. I haven't heard any big academic concerns yet either

Madisonmd
04-24-2014, 11:36 AM
This coach says even Lewis has academic shortcomings and going to take a lot of "work" to get these kids in. He says it is unbelievable how poorly prepared these MS kids are for college.

Coach34
04-24-2014, 01:03 PM
This coach says even Lewis has academic shortcomings and going to take a lot of "work" to get these kids in. He says it is unbelievable how poorly prepared these MS kids are for college.

Mississippi kids are poorly prepared for college because the overwhelming majority of them come from poor, rural areas and single parent homes. Alot live with their Grandmother instead of their Momma, and Daddy is a ghost. These kids dont grow up having parents teach them their ABC's, reading them Dr Seuss books before bedtime, or helping them learn to write before they step inside their first classroom.

So while my son- who just turned 5 today- can already read some words, write his name, and knows what fractions are- is getting a solid base before he ever enters a classroom. Alot of those kids dont start getting that until they start kindergarten and 1st grade- which means they start behind. And it just snowballs from there because they dont have parents at home to teach them or to help fortify their learning.

defiantdog
04-24-2014, 01:12 PM
Mississippi kids are poorly prepared for college because the overwhelming majority of them come from poor, rural areas and single parent homes. Alot live with their Grandmother instead of their Momma, and Daddy is a ghost. These kids dont grow up having parents teach them their ABC's, reading them Dr Seuss books before bedtime, or helping them learn to write before they step inside their first classroom.

So while my son- who just turned 5 today- can already read some words, write his name, and knows what fractions are- is getting a solid base before he ever enters a classroom. Alot of those kids dont start getting that until they start kindergarten and 1st grade- which means they start behind. And it just snowballs from there because they dont have parents at home to teach them or to help fortify their learning.

Yeah.... but it goes beyond that. Some kids just don't put the dedication into learning while they are in high school. But some kids do.... look at Gerri Green. When I was in high school.... Espy, Buckles, Spencer, and Haralson all hit the books and made sure their grades were up to par.

Coach34
04-24-2014, 01:22 PM
Espy, Spencer, and Buckles weren't raised by their Grandmother who worked as a hospital janitor at nite either.

The he kids aren't getting the base for education they need early, leaving them behind in elementary. After being behind in elementary, they don't get the support needed to catch up. So then they say **** it and don't try in school because they are frustrated because they can't figure out what the hell is going on. It's hard to write a 3 page essay when you can barely read.

Home life is just as important to education as the school itself.

smootness
04-24-2014, 01:30 PM

I agree with you, except that home life is far more important than the school. The sooner parents realize this, the better we'll be. It's funny to me to see people try to figure out how to get our schools up to par so they keep changing the schools themselves. Teachers will all teach the information, but if you don't want to learn or can't, there's not a thing a teacher can do about that.

spiritual_machine2005
04-24-2014, 01:45 PM
Espy, Spencer, and Buckles weren't raised by their Grandmother who worked as a hospital janitor at nite either.

The he kids aren't getting the base for education they need early, leaving them behind in elementary. After being behind in elementary, they don't get the support needed to catch up. So then they say **** it and don't try in school because they are frustrated because they can't figure out what the hell is going on. It's hard to write a 3 page essay when you can barely read.

I am an 8th grade math teacher and I whole heartedly agree with this statement.

BankerDog
04-24-2014, 01:53 PM
You can mark Christian Bell off the list. Committed to Bama yesterday. We're 0-2 over in Hoover, finishing second for both Hump and Bell.

hailmari
04-24-2014, 02:09 PM
Yeah, I know it was just a change in attitude for me. I started school off great but then got bored with it and rode the border line throughout middle and high school. My intentions completely realigned in college, thankfully.

smootness
04-24-2014, 02:30 PM
You can mark Christian Bell off the list. Committed to Bama yesterday. We're 0-2 over in Hoover, finishing second for both Hump and Bell.

We need to get used to this. If Bama wants someone from Hoover, they're pretty much going to get them. Once Bell got the firm, committable offer from Bama, it was over.