PDA

View Full Version : Governor's Cup thoughts- 3 out of 4 ain't bad

Todd4State
04-23-2014, 01:03 AM
First of all- 4 out of 5 Egg Bowls and 3 out of 4 Governor's Cups. Our State.

As odd as it might sound, I still don't agree with starting Laster over Fitts. But I will admit that it worked and that Laster battled his tail off and I have to give him major respect for that. To me, it goes to show you the difference between Cohen and Polk in this game. Polk would have put someone out there who would have been timid. Cohen put out someone who battled. And you see the result.

Vance Tatum is going to be a weekend starter for us. He's also 2-0 against Ole Miss this year. Tatum is starting to become one of my favorites. Austin Sexton, Dakota Hudson and Tatum along with Zac Houston and hopefully Jesse McCord, Aaron Dominguez, Andrew Mahoney, and Paul Young. Let's hope the Tommy John gods are good to us- because we're bringing in some serious pitching talent.

I've never seen a guy hit 6 batters in a game. Well, until now. I can't believe Butch didn't at least go out to talk to him after he hit the second batter in a row in the fifth inning. Probably cost us a couple of runs.

We needed a couple of guys to step up with the injuries we've had- and I could see Laster and Tatum starting to play more of a role going forward.

The hitting was really good tonight. Welcome back Wes Rea. I almost went nuts when he smoked that ball for a double. Great at bat by Detz to go opposite field and drive in a couple more. Gavin Collins had a beautiful at bat and hit to get us on the board and a lead. He's going to be good. And everytime Cody Brown plays, good things happen. He's going to wreak havoc for us as a lead off guy. Britton made some very nice plays in the field.

And here's what is encouraging to me- Brown freshman, Gavin Collins freshman, Reid Humphreys freshman... Ole Miss is good right now- but our future is extremely bright. Throw in our incoming signees, and I am pumped about our future.

The umpiring was hilarious. The second base umpire turned the neighborhood play into the suburb play. The home plate umpire screwed up the call at home in the ninth- probably because he wanted to go home and eat. And then the third base umpire apparently feel asleep because on a check swing appeal play, he just stood there and did nothing. And in the meantime our guy on first is taking bases while they are waiting on him to make a call. It looked like four Enrico Palazzo's out there. When Cohen gets out there and jumps their ass like he did and they don't kick him out, they know they screwed up.

I thought Cohen did a nice job arguing with the umpire at second base. I like the Earl Weaver walk off and then return back for more. Nicely done.

Ole Miss is good- but when you have that many veterans you should be good. Their SEC weekend pitching was the question and those guys have come through for them. They have also been lucky- winning a game where they are trying to intentionally walk you and you hit a home run? Really? They're going to lose a ton of those players next year, and they are going to take quite a fall. That class where they had 3 first round picks and lost Philip Irwin and Chase Nyman is about to haunt them. Everyone talks about how awesome their hitters are- but we just shut them down with a freshman and a guy that is middle relief caliber. They also have three more wins than we do- with an easier OOC schedule and the exact same SEC record. I don't understand why our fans worry so much about them, how much bigger their players are compared to ours, and why some of our fans act like they are the Yankees.

But enough about them. We are playing well. We're not a perfect team by any means, but I do like how this team has started to get their fight back. When I went to the USM game in Pearl, I saw a team that didn't play with a lot of energy. Tonight was like watching a completely different team. Different approaches at the plate in a good way. When you start hitting gap to gap- then you start to have production and drive balls to all fields like we did tonight. We're about to make a run. Buckle your cowbells.

I don't know how many people stayed around for the trophy presentation, but it was pretty funny to watch Miss Teen Mississippi hanging out with our team after the game. It was good to see them enjoy winning and taking their picture with the Governor's Cup.

Great win for Mississippi State tonight. Great for our RPI. I'm sure someone is about to point out that Ole Miss really isn't that good because they lost a game to Georgia State and they really aren't all that impressed with us. But you should be.

Hail State!

Todd4State
04-23-2014, 01:08 AM
Some interesting unofficial tidbits. The fact checking dept. can sort this out for me if I'm wrong.

Ron Polk II Gov. Cup record- 2-5.

John Cohen Gov. Cup record- 3-3. That includes Cohen's first two years. Of course, it's 3-1 since we decided to actually compete in baseball.

Mike Bianco Gov. Cup record- 8-6. That includes five wins over Polk II where we decided to treat the Gov, Cup as an exhibition and two wins over Cohen's first two teams which were rebuilding to put it nicely.

engie
04-23-2014, 07:00 AM
Tonight was like watching a completely different team. Different approaches at the plate in a good way. When you start hitting gap to gap- then you start to have production and drive balls to all fields like we did tonight.

But our dubmass coaches reward balls batted back at the screen in practice -- so there's obviously no correlation in being able to hit to all fields**

Coach34
04-23-2014, 07:21 AM
Good stuff Todd- thanks

BulldogBear
04-23-2014, 07:37 AM
First of all- 4 out of 5 Egg Bowls and 3 out of 4 Governor's Cups. Our State.

As odd as it might sound, I still don't agree with starting Laster over Fitts. But I will admit that it worked and that Laster battled his tail off and I have to give him major respect for that. To me, it goes to show you the difference between Cohen and Polk in this game. Polk would have put someone out there who would have been timid. Cohen put out someone who battled. And you see the result.

Vance Tatum is going to be a weekend starter for us. He's also 2-0 against Ole Miss this year. Tatum is starting to become one of my favorites. Austin Sexton, Dakota Hudson and Tatum along with Zac Houston and hopefully Jesse McCord, Aaron Dominguez, Andrew Mahoney, and Paul Young. Let's hope the Tommy John gods are good to us- because we're bringing in some serious pitching talent.

I've never seen a guy hit 6 batters in a game. Well, until now. I can't believe Butch didn't at least go out to talk to him after he hit the second batter in a row in the fifth inning. Probably cost us a couple of runs.

We needed a couple of guys to step up with the injuries we've had- and I could see Laster and Tatum starting to play more of a role going forward.

The hitting was really good tonight. Welcome back Wes Rea. I almost went nuts when he smoked that ball for a double. Great at bat by Detz to go opposite field and drive in a couple more. Gavin Collins had a beautiful at bat and hit to get us on the board and a lead. He's going to be good. And everytime Cody Brown plays, good things happen. He's going to wreak havoc for us as a lead off guy. Britton made some very nice plays in the field.

And here's what is encouraging to me- Brown freshman, Gavin Collins freshman, Reid Humphreys freshman... Ole Miss is good right now- but our future is extremely bright. Throw in our incoming signees, and I am pumped about our future.

The umpiring was hilarious. The second base umpire turned the neighborhood play into the suburb play. The home plate umpire screwed up the call at home in the ninth- probably because he wanted to go home and eat. And then the third base umpire apparently feel asleep because on a check swing appeal play, he just stood there and did nothing. And in the meantime our guy on first is taking bases while they are waiting on him to make a call. It looked like four Enrico Palazzo's out there. When Cohen gets out there and jumps their ass like he did and they don't kick him out, they know they screwed up.

I thought Cohen did a nice job arguing with the umpire at second base. I like the Earl Weaver walk off and then return back for more. Nicely done.

Ole Miss is good- but when you have that many veterans you should be good. Their SEC weekend pitching was the question and those guys have come through for them. They have also been lucky- winning a game where they are trying to intentionally walk you and you hit a home run? Really? They're going to lose a ton of those players next year, and they are going to take quite a fall. That class where they had 3 first round picks and lost Philip Irwin and Chase Nyman is about to haunt them. Everyone talks about how awesome their hitters are- but we just shut them down with a freshman and a guy that is middle relief caliber. They also have three more wins than we do- with an easier OOC schedule and the exact same SEC record. I don't understand why our fans worry so much about them, how much bigger their players are compared to ours, and why some of our fans act like they are the Yankees.

But enough about them. We are playing well. We're not a perfect team by any means, but I do like how this team has started to get their fight back. When I went to the USM game in Pearl, I saw a team that didn't play with a lot of energy. Tonight was like watching a completely different team. Different approaches at the plate in a good way. When you start hitting gap to gap- then you start to have production and drive balls to all fields like we did tonight. We're about to make a run. Buckle your cowbells.

I don't know how many people stayed around for the trophy presentation, but it was pretty funny to watch Miss Teen Mississippi hanging out with our team after the game. It was good to see them enjoy winning and taking their picture with the Governor's Cup.

Great win for Mississippi State tonight. Great for our RPI. I'm sure someone is about to point out that Ole Miss really isn't that good because they lost a game to Georgia State and they really aren't all that impressed with us. But you should be.

Hail State!

- I was sitting by our bullpen and got a good look at the play at 2nd. The Bear made a baseball "move" but not a "play." It hacks me off when umps call a guy out because he should be. It's lazy officiating. I grew up taught that the benefit of the doubt goes to runner anyway but in recent years the trend is quite the opposite. From my vantage point it was not even controversial anyway. The runner was very very safe. Defender's foot was already 18-24 inches off the bag when he caught the throw. I didn't get a good look at the play at the plate. Just heard the uproar.

- Went to both games also and you're right on

- I've never left a game before the last play but we did sciddadle to the vehicle immediately. I hate I missed that.

smootness
04-23-2014, 07:50 AM

No. We obviously aren't recruiting and there's no reason for that and everything is terrible and nothing is good and we're doomed to mediocrity and we'll never again be what we were***

In all seriousness, Gavin Collins is a special, special talent. We're lucky he was hurt his senior year because he really has no business playing college baseball. But I'll certainly take it, he's going to be unbelievably good by the time he's a junior.

RAYn_Man
04-23-2014, 11:14 AM
Ole Miss is good right now- but our future is extremely bright. Throw in our incoming signees, and I am pumped about our future.

Ole Miss has a lot of good freshmen too. Ones that are contributing now...

Jacksondevildog
04-23-2014, 11:18 AM
They have 2 that I can think of. Errol Robinson at SS and JB Woodman in RF.

msstate7
No. We obviously aren't recruiting and there's no reason for that and everything is terrible and nothing is good and we're doomed to mediocrity and we'll never again be what we were***

In all seriousness, Gavin Collins is a special, special talent. We're lucky he was hurt his senior year because he really has no business playing college baseball. But I'll certainly take it, he's going to be unbelievably good by the time he's a junior.

I agree 100% about Collins. He's getting better and better

Goat Holder
Nobody is scared or worried about them. I would rather them stay in their place though, because they, just like USM, are simply thorns in our side. I don't want them attracting younger fans that might grow up being MSU baseball fans. I don't want them to luck into a Super host, and maybe find themselves in Omaha in our sport.

I want to dominate MS baseball from top to bottom. This is our home base. We have bigger fish to fry outside the state so eliminating distractions would help our cause. Same concept as the OOC football schedule. You schedule easy so you have less distractions for the big games....the SEC games....the games that matter.

ScoobaDawg
04-23-2014, 11:26 AM
Some interesting unofficial tidbits. The fact checking dept. can sort this out for me if I'm wrong.

Ron Polk II Gov. Cup record- 2-5.

John Cohen Gov. Cup record- 3-3. That includes Cohen's first two years. Of course, it's 3-1 since we decided to actually compete in baseball.

Mike Bianco Gov. Cup record- 8-6. That includes five wins over Polk II where we decided to treat the Gov, Cup as an exhibition and two wins over Cohen's first two teams which were rebuilding to put it nicely.

Since It has become the Governors Cup MSU is 5-3

UM - 2009 2010 2012
MSU - 2007 2008 2011 2013 2014

Bianco won the last 5 mayor cups (02-06) vs Polk II
Pat Mac won in 2001 in Bianco's first season so that makes him 5-1 in Mayor Cups, 3-5 in Gov Cup
Polk II was 0-5 in in Mayor Cups vs Bianco, 2-0 in Gov Cup.
Cohen is 3-3 in Gov Cup.

So you are correct (minus the name change)

messageboardsuperhero
04-23-2014, 11:30 AM
I'm extremely excited about our future as well. Cohen's been recruiting very well- contrary to what bully99 would say.

Don't forget the redshirts from this year, like Swinarski, Rooker, and Ingram. Combine those guys with Collins and Humphreys- now add Gordon and hopefully Burdick and Vallot... We're suddenly going to be a team with a lot of good power in a year or two, while also having a nice mix of speed and on base potential at the top of the order. And yes, the pitching looks promising as well. The future is very bright for us.

ScoobaDawg
04-23-2014, 11:31 AM
Nobody is scared or worried about them. I would rather them stay in their place though, because they, just like USM, are simply thorns in our side. I don't want them attracting younger fans that might grow up being MSU baseball fans. I don't want them to luck into a Super host, and maybe find themselves in Omaha in our sport.

I want to dominate MS baseball from top to bottom. This is our home base. We have bigger fish to fry outside the state so eliminating distractions would help our cause. Same concept as the OOC football schedule. You schedule easy so you have less distractions for the big games....the SEC games....the games that matter.

and again you have to wonder... What if Polk II never happened. Pat Mac leaves us and we hire Paul Maineri or Brian Oconner or whoever else a competent AD could of attracted to the mecca of college baseball.
Bianco wouldn't have half the legacy he has as we would of kept our foot on the gas destroying them and dominating the states talents.

Truly a decision that set us back 10 years.

messageboardsuperhero
04-23-2014, 11:34 AM
They have 2 that I can think of. Errol Robinson at SS and JB Woodman in RF.

Dulin will be a good college player at 2B as well, and most of their freshman pitcher look promising. UM has some good, young talent on campus as well. We just need to keep what we have going and continue improving our program- I'm much more concerned about what we do.

blacklistedbully
04-23-2014, 11:35 AM
What is it about so many on this board that makes them feel entitled to jump up the ass of anyone who doesn't show Gene's Page hero worship for all things MSU?

You guys who keep coming back with this BS, unsupported, "I told you so" crap should consider taking a step back. It is entirely possible to be a great fan of MSU, yet harbor some skepticism about were we stand at any given time.

While I agree there are 1 or 2 posters on here who are overwhelmingly negative to the point of obnoxiousness, you guys seem intent on assailing your fellow Bulldog fans who are merely expressing a valid opinion in a thread or two.

You guys did it immediately following the OT win over OM, as if you'd somehow proved that the criticisms weren't valid (you didn't), and now you've started doing it after a 4-game run against 2 bad teams. The reality for most of us that you seem to be targeting is that we have been concerned with our level of play through the LSU & TSUN series, and were waiting to see how we performed in the Gov Cup game and the upcoming TAMU series before declaring the Mizzou sweep proof-positive we'd turned things around.

Being cautiously optimistic about that 4-game run on the heals of our performance in the 6 games versus LSU & OM is not a sign we are any less supportive of our Bulldogs than any of you. Wanting to see us get-the-job-done versus quality competition before we join in the rah-rah is something that should not be punished on this board as it apparently is on GP. That is, unless your goal is to make this place more like GP.

I would much rather direct my disdain at Ole Miss and their fans than expend that time and energy getting in a pissing match with a fellow Bulldog.

Goat Holder
04-23-2014, 12:22 PM
While I agree there are 1 or 2 posters on here who are overwhelmingly negative to the point of obnoxiousness, you guys seem intent on assailing your fellow Bulldog fans who are merely expressing a valid opinion in a thread or two.
You sort of answered your own question here. Nobody really wants to hear the negativity, especially when we just played for a national title last season. It's unwarranted.

But yeah, the I told you so crowd sucks too. Everybody knows who they are, though.

ScoobaDawg
04-23-2014, 12:35 PM
You sort of answered your own question here. Nobody really wants to hear the negativity, especially when we just played for a national title last season. It's unwarranted.

But yeah, the I told you so crowd sucks too. Everybody knows who they are, though.

Goat, I actually agree with you on this. there are some posters on this board who I swear have every message from some posters saved and indexed by keyword.
Just so they can pull it up and....

http://bugaboostamps.com/assets/images/watermarks/characters/stella/stella%20summer%20blocks%20water/stb%20i%20told%20you%20so.png

It's not just this board though, it's all over the internet. So it's a society thing to a lot of people who delight in it.

blacklistedbully
04-23-2014, 01:16 PM

I would say the ridiculous crap put out by one on this board about Cohen sucking, etc, etc is unwarranted. But skepticism and/or criticism of the way the team has played recently, or of certain coaching decisions is not unwarranted.

I also don't enjoy the guys that come on here at every opportunity to bitch and complain about anything and everything. But I'm just as annoyed with the folks who come on here too ready to jump on anybody's ass who has anything critical to say, and branding them as lesser fans. That's BS.

engie
04-23-2014, 01:28 PM
Dulin will be a good college player at 2B as well, and most of their freshman pitcher look promising. UM has some good, young talent on campus as well. We just need to keep what we have going and continue improving our program- I'm much more concerned about what we do.

After hitting a lull between McDonnell's recruiting -- and Godwin's -- they are recruiting very, VERY well again. Anyone dismissing it simply isn't looking -- and it appears Godwin can actually develop hitters too -- which is something new for them. They aren't going away and fading into obscurity anytime soon unfortunately. Now, can he recruit them enough depth on the hill to overcome Bianco's shortcomings? We'll see...

messageboardsuperhero
04-23-2014, 01:39 PM
After hitting a lull between McDonnell's recruiting -- and Godwin's -- they are recruiting very, VERY well again. Anyone dismissing it simply isn't looking -- and it appears Godwin can actually develop hitters too -- which is something new for them. They aren't going away and fading into obscurity anytime soon unfortunately. Now, can he recruit them enough depth on the hill to overcome Bianco's shortcomings? We'll see...

Godwin is a huge part of what they're doing right now. You can tell those juniors/seniors who have been with him for three years are really well coached and know how to hit- and he is getting a good bit of talent to their campus.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing him hired away like McDonnell.

engie
04-23-2014, 01:56 PM
Godwin is a huge part of what they're doing right now. You can tell those juniors/seniors who have been with him for three years are really well coached and know how to hit- and he is getting a good bit of talent to their campus.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing him hired away like McDonnell.

For sure. Godwin has had a bunch of mediocre opportunities already.

He's holding on for something more...to say the least...

Goat Holder
04-23-2014, 01:58 PM
They never stopped recruiting well. Allen, Bousfield, Anderson, Overbey......all those guys were before Cliff Godwin. They were all drafted. And Orvis, Laxer, Buchanan, Knight and them.....they were before him too. The following class after that was the one that got ravaged by the draft, and now this freshman one is pretty decent again.

Snyder brothers, Yarbrough, Matt Smith....all those guys were good players. I think it's more that they just got beat on the MS players when Cohen got there. McConnell built their early teams on MS players that MSU usually got. Now, somehow Bianco has gone and convinced a bunch of draft worthy kids from Florida to come to Ole Miss. I have no clue how he did it.

C222
04-23-2014, 02:22 PM
What is it about so many on this board that makes them feel entitled to jump up the ass of anyone who doesn't show Gene's Page hero worship for all things MSU?

You guys who keep coming back with this BS, unsupported, "I told you so" crap should consider taking a step back. It is entirely possible to be a great fan of MSU, yet harbor some skepticism about were we stand at any given time.

You guys did it immediately following the OT win over OM, as if you'd somehow proved that the criticisms weren't valid (you didn't), and now you've started doing it after a 4-game run against 2 bad teams. The reality for most of us that you seem to be targeting is that we have been concerned with our level of play through the LSU & TSUN series, and were waiting to see how we performed in the Gov Cup game and the upcoming TAMU series before declaring the Mizzou sweep proof-positive we'd turned things around.

Being cautiously optimistic about that 4-game run on the heals of our performance in the 6 games versus LSU & OM is not a sign we are any less supportive of our Bulldogs than any of you. Wanting to see us get-the-job-done versus quality competition before we join in the rah-rah is something that should not be punished on this board as it apparently is on GP. That is, unless your goal is to make this place more like GP.

I would much rather direct my disdain at Ole Miss and their fans than expend that time and energy getting in a pissing match with a fellow Bulldog.

Because people actually criticize Cohen's decision making, recruiting, etc. when all he's done in 5 years is go to 3 regionals, 2 Supers, a National Championship game, and won the SEC Tournament. There was an actual thread about how "Cohen ball" isn't working.

blacklistedbully
04-23-2014, 03:41 PM
Because people actually criticize Cohen's decision making, recruiting, etc. when all he's done in 5 years is go to 3 regionals, 2 Supers, a National Championship game, and won the SEC Tournament. There was an actual thread about how "Cohen ball" isn't working.

But that's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about the ones on here that have a problem with those of us who were disappointed in the way the team was playing through LSU and TSUN (JC agreed with us, BTW), and were not ready to overtly celebrate the 4 wins over Alcorn & Mizzou. There are many on here who couldn't wait to shit on those of us who were still feeling like we needed to see the team play well against stiffer competition before we decided the ship had been righted, or before we got too excited about sweeping Mizzou. Yes, a sweep is good, even against a lesser team, but it's not necessarily indicative of us being much improved. It could still be just that there's a reason they are alone in the SEC cellar. Yes, we're the only ones who actually swept them at home, but that's exactly 1 game difference from what most teams have done to them, and we damn near didn't do it ourselves. To me, the difference is razor-thin. Positive that we did it, but not exactly confirmation we are ready to make a run. I'm hopeful that's what it'll be proven to be, the turning point. But I want just a little more proof of that with a series win over TAMU to go with the win over TSUN.

This opinion, shared by others on this board shouldn't provoke an attack from others here. I get going after the ones who do nothing but spew constant negativity and/or use every single set-back as an opportunity to push a really foolish agenda. But it seems what we have here goes way beyond attacking the imbecile.

Todd4State
04-23-2014, 04:08 PM
But that's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about the ones on here that have a problem with those of us who were disappointed in the way the team was playing through LSU and TSUN (JC agreed with us, BTW), and were not ready to overtly celebrate the 4 wins over Alcorn & Mizzou. There are many on here who couldn't wait to shit on those of us who were still feeling like we needed to see the team play well against stiffer competition before we decided the ship had been righted, or before we got too excited about sweeping Mizzou. Yes, a sweep is good, even against a lesser team, but it's not necessarily indicative of us being much improved. It could still be just that there's a reason they are alone in the SEC cellar. Yes, we're the only ones who actually swept them at home, but that's exactly 1 game difference from what most teams have done to them, and we damn near didn't do it ourselves. To me, the difference is razor-thin. Positive that we did it, but not exactly confirmation we are ready to make a run. I'm hopeful that's what it'll be proven to be, the turning point. But I want just a little more proof of that with a series win over TAMU to go with the win over TSUN.

This opinion, shared by others on this board shouldn't provoke an attack from others here. I get going after the ones who do nothing but spew constant negativity and/or use every single set-back as an opportunity to push a really foolish agenda. But it seems what we have here goes way beyond attacking the imbecile.

I wasn't attacking you or anyone in particular specifically or personally. I can definitely see how you would take it that way though.

That said our fans are quick to dismiss how our team does in ANY sport more than any fan base I have ever seen. Our schedule was "easy" the team we beat wasn't really "that good"- it's never because our team actually did something good. We really don't need to do that to ourselves- we have our beat writers to do that for us.

Mizzou's record in baseball is not very good- and they very well may be and probably are the worst team in the SEC. BUT in the SEC, even the worst team is not that bad when you compare them on a NATIONAL level. A SEC team that wins 23 games is probably comparable to a team that is in the top half of C-USA. Don't believe me? Look at what Mizzou did to USM. Our league is just that good. And that's why it's silly to "pump the breaks" after a sweep of any SEC team on the road. My only issue was you continued to debate that even when proven wrong to the point of trying to use neutral site games and pre season tournament games to try to prove your point.

You say it's OK to be pessimistic- I say it's OK to be optimistic if it's warranted. And I think it was in our case. Like I said, we looked like a totally different team from an attitude standpoint compared to what we looked like a couple of weeks ago.

Todd4State
04-23-2014, 04:16 PM
For sure. Godwin has had a bunch of mediocre opportunities already.

He's holding on for something more...to say the least...

It's only a matter of time for Bianco is gone. If Godwin is holding out for the Ole Miss job and Bianco figures that out, I would have to think that could make things awkward at best. It's also a gamble to do so for Godwin because typically when a coach is fired/resigned/goes in a different direction/has a sick grandparent typically the entire old staff is gone. Just like when Polk resigned and we didn't retain anyone other that Tyler Bratton and Greg Drye.

I do think that Godwin should hold out for something more because he can certainly land a good job.

I see Ole Miss as relatively unstable right now. If they don't host a regional, Bianco could be gone. And if they do, I'm not sure how much time that buys him. His leash is incredibly short and he has to achieve a lot. They want to be us and it's harder than they think to do that.

Todd4State
04-23-2014, 04:23 PM
They never stopped recruiting well. Allen, Bousfield, Anderson, Overbey......all those guys were before Cliff Godwin. They were all drafted. And Orvis, Laxer, Buchanan, Knight and them.....they were before him too. The following class after that was the one that got ravaged by the draft, and now this freshman one is pretty decent again.

Snyder brothers, Yarbrough, Matt Smith....all those guys were good players. I think it's more that they just got beat on the MS players when Cohen got there. McConnell built their early teams on MS players that MSU usually got. Now, somehow Bianco has gone and convinced a bunch of draft worthy kids from Florida to come to Ole Miss. I have no clue how he did it.

Yes, but here's the thing. Those guys that were drafted out of high school WEREN'T drafted after their junior year at least as far as Allen, Overbey, and Anderson go. What does that say about their player development? Orvis and Bousfield certainly might get drafted as juniors this year. Normally our guys that were drafted out of high school if they don't get drafted as juniors, it's because of injury- like CT Bradford.

The upside is if that happens you eventually have a good team in four years.

Ole Miss recruits Florida a lot and there is a ton of talent there. But the recruits that they're getting aren't the guys that are going to Florida, Florida State, Miami, etc. Their choice is probably Ole Miss, South Florida, Central Florida, etc.

You are right about Mississippi players though. And we have to keep winning the best players in state for recruiting, and then fill in with big state players like Gavin Collins and Adam Frazier.

blacklistedbully
04-23-2014, 05:04 PM
I wasn't attacking you or anyone in particular specifically or personally. I can definitely see how you would take it that way though.

That said our fans are quick to dismiss how our team does in ANY sport more than any fan base I have ever seen. Our schedule was "easy" the team we beat wasn't really "that good"- it's never because our team actually did something good. We really don't need to do that to ourselves- we have our beat writers to do that for us.

Mizzou's record in baseball is not very good- and they very well may be and probably are the worst team in the SEC. BUT in the SEC, even the worst team is not that bad when you compare them on a NATIONAL level. A SEC team that wins 23 games is probably comparable to a team that is in the top half of C-USA. Don't believe me? Look at what Mizzou did to USM. Our league is just that good. And that's why it's silly to "pump the breaks" after a sweep of any SEC team on the road. My only issue was you continued to debate that even when proven wrong to the point of trying to use neutral site games and pre season tournament games to try to prove your point.

You say it's OK to be pessimistic- I say it's OK to be optimistic if it's warranted. And I think it was in our case. Like I said, we looked like a totally different team from an attitude standpoint compared to what we looked like a couple of weeks ago.

A) I actually wasn't referring mostly to you. I don't expect or demand that others agree with my POV, but I do rail against those that ridicule those who don't share theirs.

B) I admitted that I had erroneously included a tourney in the "losing at home streak", so please stop trying to pin that on me.

C) On any given day in baseball the worst team is capable of beating the best. You see it all the time in all levels of ball. We will end this season split with Holy Cross. There is no way I'm saying HC is on a par with us. Mizzou taking a series at UK and beating USM 2 outta 3 does not negate the fact that they have largely got their ass beat most of the time. OOC they are barely over .500, with losses that include:

McNeese State
Liberty
Campbell
IUPU-Fort Wayne
Southern Il
Missouri State

Just because they are in the SEC, that doesn't mean they are good. If they were, I'd expect better than a 12-9 OOC record when that OOC includes several lower-division schools and/or mediocre at best teams. Those wins have included:

Chicago State
Radford
Illinois-Chicago
Alcorn State x 2
Wisconsin-Milwaulkee x 2
Missouri State
Wichita State (historically good, but not so much this year)

Color me unimpressed with Mizzou's OOC. They may not be horrible, but to me, they have not earned the right to be considered a good team.

D) I claimed Mizzou playing a team from Illinois in a suburb of St. Louis Mo was a home game. I accept that it is far enough away from their campus and close enough to S IL to make that more a neutral game than home, but that is a minor point overall, not one that "proved me wrong" about my feelings on the status of our team.

E) Being critical or, "cautiously optimistic", as I have stated I am numerous times is not the same as being "pessimistic". It means I'm glad we won 4 games we should have won against teams we should clearly be better than, but want to withhold too much celebration until we prove we can win versus teams of the caliber that kicked our ass royally just before that 4-game streak.

Beating TSUN in the Gov Cup was a great first step. If we follow that up with a series win over TAMU, I'll look back and agree that Mizzou was a likely turning point. If we lose the series, I'll look back and think the Mizzou series was just a case of beating a relatively bad team 3 times instead of the minimum of 2 that a decent team would accomplish.

In the end, it appears our main difference here is that you're more inclined to think the Mizzou sweep was already evidence enough we have turned the corner on those bad losses to LSU and OM, while I want to see the most recent TSUN win followed by a TAMU series win to make me feel that way.

More to the point, I am not criticizing you or anyone else for feeling the way you do. You are entitled to your opinions, as are we all. I just have an issue with those here that feel the need to unload on those of us who feel the way I do, or feel like they're entitled to make us eat crow or something.

To borrow a phrase, it's not settled science just yet.

Todd4State
04-23-2014, 08:05 PM
A) I actually wasn't referring mostly to you. I don't expect or demand that others agree with my POV, but I do rail against those that ridicule those who don't share theirs.

B) I admitted that I had erroneously included a tourney in the "losing at home streak", so please stop trying to pin that on me.

C) On any given day in baseball the worst team is capable of beating the best. You see it all the time in all levels of ball. We will end this season split with Holy Cross. There is no way I'm saying HC is on a par with us. Mizzou taking a series at UK and beating USM 2 outta 3 does not negate the fact that they have largely got their ass beat most of the time. OOC they are barely over .500, with losses that include:

McNeese State
Liberty
Campbell
IUPU-Fort Wayne
Southern Il
Missouri State

Just because they are in the SEC, that doesn't mean they are good. If they were, I'd expect better than a 12-9 OOC record when that OOC includes several lower-division schools and/or mediocre at best teams. Those wins have included:

Chicago State
Radford
Illinois-Chicago
Alcorn State x 2
Wisconsin-Milwaulkee x 2
Missouri State
Wichita State (historically good, but not so much this year)

Color me unimpressed with Mizzou's OOC. They may not be horrible, but to me, they have not earned the right to be considered a good team.

D) I claimed Mizzou playing a team from Illinois in a suburb of St. Louis Mo was a home game. I accept that it is far enough away from their campus and close enough to S IL to make that more a neutral game than home, but that is a minor point overall, not one that "proved me wrong" about my feelings on the status of our team.

E) Being critical or, "cautiously optimistic", as I have stated I am numerous times is not the same as being "pessimistic". It means I'm glad we won 4 games we should have won against teams we should clearly be better than, but want to withhold too much celebration until we prove we can win versus teams of the caliber that kicked our ass royally just before that 4-game streak.

Beating TSUN in the Gov Cup was a great first step. If we follow that up with a series win over TAMU, I'll look back and agree that Mizzou was a likely turning point. If we lose the series, I'll look back and think the Mizzou series was just a case of beating a relatively bad team 3 times instead of the minimum of 2 that a decent team would accomplish.

In the end, it appears our main difference here is that you're more inclined to think the Mizzou sweep was already evidence enough we have turned the corner on those bad losses to LSU and OM, while I want to see the most recent TSUN win followed by a TAMU series win to make me feel that way.

More to the point, I am not criticizing you or anyone else for feeling the way you do. You are entitled to your opinions, as are we all. I just have an issue with those here that feel the need to unload on those of us who feel the way I do, or feel like they're entitled to make us eat crow or something.

To borrow a phrase, it's not settled science just yet.

My opinion was based mainly on how we PLAYED. Your opinion is based on how good you perceive the opponent to be- all the while underrating them. My opinion is also based on the fact that we are likely getting Preston Brown back and Brandon Woodruff is getting better- which will make our staff deeper starting this weekend. We are taking better at bats and have a better approach and are taking better approaches at the plate. We are playing with more energy. When you do those things- you are going to start to succeed.

I think Mizzou overscheduled. They have lost a grand total of two games to teams that have a losing record at this point. Currently as I am typing this, they are beating a 22-15 Illinois team. Most of their losses were early in the season. They had some weather issues early in the year as well.

You say that just because they are in the SEC they are not a good team. Relative to the other teams in the SEC they are not good. When you compare them to the rest of the 300 D-I teams in the country, they are good. If you put them in a mid major conference they would be near the top of the league.

I don't want you to eat crow. I do want you to have a more informed opinion that doesn't slight our baseball team or the opponent.

blacklistedbully
04-23-2014, 08:41 PM
My opinion was based mainly on how we PLAYED. Your opinion is based on how good you perceive the opponent to be- all the while underrating them. My opinion is also based on the fact that we are likely getting Preston Brown back and Brandon Woodruff is getting better- which will make our staff deeper starting this weekend. We are taking better at bats and have a better approach and are taking better approaches at the plate. We are playing with more energy. When you do those things- you are going to start to succeed.

I think Mizzou overscheduled. They have lost a grand total of two games to teams that have a losing record at this point. Currently as I am typing this, they are beating a 22-15 Illinois team. Most of their losses were early in the season. They had some weather issues early in the year as well.

You say that just because they are in the SEC they are not a good team. Relative to the other teams in the SEC they are not good. When you compare them to the rest of the 300 D-I teams in the country, they are good. If you put them in a mid major conference they would be near the top of the league.

I don't want you to eat crow. I do want you to have a more informed opinion that doesn't slight our baseball team or the opponent.

Todd, I normally really respect what you have to say, particularly with regard to baseball. But you're a bit full of yourself here. To claim my position is less qualified than yours based on "how good I perceive the opponent to be", and not "based mainly on how we PLAYED" is just arrogant and wrong. My opinion is valid precisely because I based it on HOW WE PLAYED versus the better teams (LSU & TSUN). We looked like crap versus them, triggering a, "Sunday-go-to-meetin'" with CJC.

We got swept at LSU and damn near got swept at home versus TSUN. I classify that as, "How we played". When you follow losing 5 of 6 to good teams with winning 4 versus what appear to be not-so-good teams, it is perfectly valid to be "CAUTIOUSLY OPTIMISTIC" and even skeptical of those who claim the Mizzou sweep as proof we have turned the corner.

While Mizzou may have lost a "grand total of two games to teams that have a losing record", that reeks of scrambling for statistics in order to support a weak argument. Did you look at who some of those team are, and who they've played against? Did you consider the statistics of those OOC teams they did beat? Hardly a "murderers row" of competition.

12-9 versus a modest-at-best OOC schedule. That does not scream a team that would "be near the top of their league" in a mid major. But even if they could be, so what? Even if we give you that big assumption that doesn't necessarily make a 3-game sweep of them something magical or cathartic. It doesn't nullify the way we played the 2 weeks prior when we did play demonstrably good teams, and got exposed.

Now, if we go forward and win the series versus TAMU, I'll consider that proof we have turned the corner beginning with the Mizzou sweep.

As far as I'm concerned, mine is a perfectly valid, "informed opinion". If you have a problem with me being even the slightest bit critical of Mizzou and the value of our sweep of them, that's just too damn bad. Perhaps you should be the one that drops the pom-poms for a bit until our boys show they can have continued success versus some of the better teams on our upcoming schedule.

Todd4State
04-23-2014, 10:08 PM
Todd, I normally really respect what you have to say, particularly with regard to baseball. But you're a bit full of yourself here. To claim my position is less qualified than yours based on "how good I perceive the opponent to be", and not "based mainly on how we PLAYED" is just arrogant and wrong. My opinion is valid precisely because I based it on HOW WE PLAYED versus the better teams (LSU & TSUN). We looked like crap versus them, triggering a, "Sunday-go-to-meetin'" with CJC.

We got swept at LSU and damn near got swept at home versus TSUN. I classify that as, "How we played". When you follow losing 5 of 6 to good teams with winning 4 versus what appear to be not-so-good teams, it is perfectly valid to be "CAUTIOUSLY OPTIMISTIC" and even skeptical of those who claim the Mizzou sweep as proof we have turned the corner.

While Mizzou may have lost a "grand total of two games to teams that have a losing record", that reeks of scrambling for statistics in order to support a weak argument. Did you look at who some of those team are, and who they've played against? Did you consider the statistics of those OOC teams they did beat? Hardly a "murderers row" of competition.

12-9 versus a modest-at-best OOC schedule. That does not scream a team that would "be near the top of their league" in a mid major. But even if they could be, so what? Even if we give you that big assumption that doesn't necessarily make a 3-game sweep of them something magical or cathartic. It doesn't nullify the way we played the 2 weeks prior when we did play demonstrably good teams, and got exposed.

Now, if we go forward and win the series versus TAMU, I'll consider that proof we have turned the corner beginning with the Mizzou sweep.

As far as I'm concerned, mine is a perfectly valid, "informed opinion". If you have a problem with me being even the slightest bit critical of Mizzou and the value of our sweep of them, that's just too damn bad. Perhaps you should be the one that drops the pom-poms for a bit until our boys show they can have continued success versus some of the better teams on our upcoming schedule.

How can you say I'm wrong when we just kicked one of the better teams in the SEC ass pitching a guy that set a MSU record for HBP and a freshman? I'm sorry if that came across as arrogant but the fact of the matter is if you watch any team you can see things that can give you clues as to how they are going to perform going forward moreso than the quality of the opponent played. We did those things. Where people were hitting the ball, how the pitchers were executing, how the team handled tough situations or situations that didn't go our way- ALL of those we handled well against Mizzou and very clearly better than we had before. I was simply explaining my position just like you were explaining you cautiously optimistic approach.

You are placing too much emphasis on how we played against LSU and Ole Miss- all the while glossing over the fact that after that point we had a very publicly known practice where the law was laid down. Because of that known fact you have to start at that point after that practice. If we looked the same after that practice then you would have been right- but you chose to focus on how bad Mizzou was and again not on what our team did on the field.

As far as Mizzou and their schedule- now I'm supposed to put them down because they've beaten the majority of teams that they should beat? Don't good teams beat people that they are supposed to beat? Like USM who is 13-5 in C-USA and Kentucky? Yeah- I've looked at their schedule. Why don't you look up how good Liberty is who they've lost to- I think they have been in the regionals the past few years. Wake Forest has been good as well. USM has turned out to be decent. They have only been swept twice- once on the road at Ole Miss and once at home to us.

You know how I know that Mizzou would be in the top half of a mid major conference? Look at how they did in the Big 12 which is one of the top baseball conferences in America:

1997 Tim Jamieson 31–27 16-14
1998 36–18 17-12
1999 37–19 14-13
2000 33–24 13-14
2001 31–24–1 11-19
2002 24–29 9-16
2003 36–22 15-11 NCAA Regional
2004 38–23–1 12-14 NCAA Regional
2005 40–23 16-11 NCAA Regional, No. 21 Final BA Poll
2006 35–28 12-15 NCAA Super Regional, No. 16 Final CB Poll
2007 42–18 19-8 NCAA Regional, No. 24 Final CB Poll
2008 39–21 16-11 NCAA Regional, No. 19 Final BA Poll
2009 35–27 16-11 NCAA Regional
2010 29-26 10-16
2011 27-32 11-15
2012 33-28 10-14 Big 12 Tournament Champions NCAA Regional

Put down the pom poms? LOL. Why don't you quit whining about how you were justifiably "Cautiously optimistic" in a thread that didn't even call you out? We have had continued success against some of the better teams on our schedule. You know- like the Ole Miss team we beat last night that you are basing your cautiously optimistic opinion off of and "exposed" us? Like the four SEC series that we have won including Vanderbilt and Arkansas? Like Western Carolina, SEMO State, and USM who are all top 100 RPI teams? Why don't you base your caution optimism based on what has happened the past three seasons? The only thing you should be cautiously optimistic about is our chances to host a regional.

blacklistedbully
04-24-2014, 02:20 AM
How can you say I'm wrong when we just kicked one of the better teams in the SEC ass pitching a guy that set a MSU record for HBP and a freshman? I'm sorry if that came across as arrogant but the fact of the matter is if you watch any team you can see things that can give you clues as to how they are going to perform going forward moreso than the quality of the opponent played. We did those things. Where people were hitting the ball, how the pitchers were executing, how the team handled tough situations or situations that didn't go our way- ALL of those we handled well against Mizzou and very clearly better than we had before. I was simply explaining my position just like you were explaining you cautiously optimistic approach.

You are placing too much emphasis on how we played against LSU and Ole Miss- all the while glossing over the fact that after that point we had a very publicly known practice where the law was laid down. Because of that known fact you have to start at that point after that practice. If we looked the same after that practice then you would have been right- but you chose to focus on how bad Mizzou was and again not on what our team did on the field.

As far as Mizzou and their schedule- now I'm supposed to put them down because they've beaten the majority of teams that they should beat? Don't good teams beat people that they are supposed to beat? Like USM who is 13-5 in C-USA and Kentucky? Yeah- I've looked at their schedule. Why don't you look up how good Liberty is who they've lost to- I think they have been in the regionals the past few years. Wake Forest has been good as well. USM has turned out to be decent. They have only been swept twice- once on the road at Ole Miss and once at home to us.

You know how I know that Mizzou would be in the top half of a mid major conference? Look at how they did in the Big 12 which is one of the top baseball conferences in America:

1997 Tim Jamieson 31–27 16-14
1998 36–18 17-12
1999 37–19 14-13
2000 33–24 13-14
2001 31–24–1 11-19
2002 24–29 9-16
2003 36–22 15-11 NCAA Regional
2004 38–23–1 12-14 NCAA Regional
2005 40–23 16-11 NCAA Regional, No. 21 Final BA Poll
2006 35–28 12-15 NCAA Super Regional, No. 16 Final CB Poll
2007 42–18 19-8 NCAA Regional, No. 24 Final CB Poll
2008 39–21 16-11 NCAA Regional, No. 19 Final BA Poll
2009 35–27 16-11 NCAA Regional
2010 29-26 10-16
2011 27-32 11-15
2012 33-28 10-14 Big 12 Tournament Champions NCAA Regional

Put down the pom poms? LOL. Why don't you quit whining about how you were justifiably "Cautiously optimistic" in a thread that didn't even call you out? We have had continued success against some of the better teams on our schedule. You know- like the Ole Miss team we beat last night that you are basing your cautiously optimistic opinion off of and "exposed" us? Like the four SEC series that we have won including Vanderbilt and Arkansas? Like Western Carolina, SEMO State, and USM who are all top 100 RPI teams? Why don't you base your caution optimism based on what has happened the past three seasons? The only thing you should be cautiously optimistic about is our chances to host a regional.

Ok, I think I've discovered why we're butting heads so much. I have no doubt we will make a regional. All this time I've been talking "cautiously optimistic", I have been referring to hosting a regional. I suppose I should have clarified that point. I am one who thinks we should be good enough to host, and have long considered just making a regional just about automatic.

So, when I'm judging the team's recent performance, it's with an eye toward hosting a regional, not just making one. It appears my expectations for the team may actually be higher. Just to be clear, what I mean, what I have meant this entire time, is that I'm waiting to see how we do versus this past game with TSUN and the series with TAMU to decide if I think we're ready to make a run at hosting a regional.

We do still disagree on the relative quality of the win versus Mizzou. I think you give Mizzou too much credit, you think I give them too little. But we can probably agree that the sweep of them was a solid indicator of our worthiness of making a regional going forward.

I've already posted in another thread, that if we do take 2 of 3 from TAMU, I think we go into the Bama series with 16 SEC wins, as my confidence will then be restored that we're able to win the rest of our series and make a run in the SECT to secure a host spot.

blacklistedbully
04-24-2014, 02:27 AM
Ok, I think I've discovered why we're butting heads so much. I have no doubt we will make a regional. All this time I've been talking "cautiously optimistic", I have been referring to hosting a regional. I suppose I should have clarified that point. I am one who thinks we should be good enough to host, and have long considered just making a regional just about automatic.

So, when I'm judging the team's recent performance, it's with an eye toward hosting a regional, not just making one. It appears my expectations for the team may actually be higher. Just to be clear, what I mean, what I have meant this entire time, is that I'm waiting to see how we do versus this past game with TSUN and the series with TAMU to decide if I think we're ready to make a run at hosting a regional.

We do still disagree on the relative quality of the win versus Mizzou. I think you give Mizzou too much credit, you think I give them too little. But we can probably agree that the sweep of them was a solid indicator of our worthiness of making a regional going forward.

I've already posted in another thread, that if we do take 2 of 3 from TAMU, I think we go into the Bama series with 16 SEC wins, as my confidence will then be restored that we're able to win the rest of our series and make a run in the SECT to secure a host spot.

This is what I posted earlier in the "Perfect Game Regional Predictions thread":

Bama 'bout to go 3-6 or worse in SEC before our tilt. No way they maintain a host spot. If we have truly gotten hot at the right time, I predict we will be up by 1 game going into the Bama series.

Bama at 15-12 vs MSU at 16-11. If we take the series and win a couple in the tourney, I think we take that host spot.

blacklistedbully
04-26-2014, 06:29 PM
How 'bout now, Todd? Am I still wrong, uninformed, etc to have been concerned about the LSU sweep & the series loss to OM and less enthusiastic about the sweep over Mizzou? The "law was laid down" as you said. Now we lost a crucial series at home, sliding into 5th place in the West, 7th in the SEC.

Do you still think my opinion was worthless? Still think you had it right? All I was counseling was holding back a bit until we saw how our team did this weekend. Well, they shit the bed at home.

I still think we rebound and make a regional, but hosting is becoming a bigger long-shot, as is being confident we can win a regional with the way we are playing.

UMCDawg16
04-26-2014, 06:38 PM
How 'bout now, Todd? Am I still wrong, uninformed, etc to have been concerned about the LSU sweep & the series loss to OM and less enthusiastic about the sweep over Mizzou? The "law was laid down" as you said. Now we lost a crucial series at home, sliding into 5th place in the West, 7th in the SEC.

Do you still think my opinion was worthless? Still think you had it right? All I was counseling was holding back a bit until we saw how our team did this weekend. Well, they shit the bed at home.

I still think we rebound and make a regional, but hosting is becoming a bigger long-shot, as is being confident we can win a regional with the way we are playing.

Its pretty obvious what your agenda is around here. Calling people out when you happen to be right and getting into needless dick measuring contests. We need less people like you around here.

Todd4State
04-26-2014, 06:41 PM
How 'bout now, Todd? Am I still wrong, uninformed, etc to have been concerned and less enthusiastic about the sweep over Mizzou? The "law was laid down" as you said. Now we lost a crucial series at home, sliding into 5th place in the West, 7th in the SEC.

Do you still think my opinion was worthless? Still think you had it right?

Did I think your opinion was worthless? Get a life. What's sad is I have a feeling that you think that you are a lot more worthless than I think you are. And I don't think a lot of you for the record.

Compared to the way we were playing when Ole Miss beat us 12-2 and how we got swept by LSU, yes we are playing better than we were. Give them credit- they beat our All-American in Ross and then they won a game where the umpire missed a call that didn't go our way against a pitcher making his return from the disabled list.

Todd4State
04-26-2014, 06:42 PM
Its pretty obvious what your agenda is around here. Calling people out when you happen to be right and getting into needless dick measuring contests. We need less people like you around here.

Exactly. We have too many "fans" that would rather be "right" than win. It's sad actually. All they do is put down our team.

blacklistedbully
04-26-2014, 07:17 PM

More than we need you, dickbreath. If you had been paying attention, you'd realize it's nothing more than payback for all the shit I got from others on here who were dishing it out after the Mizzou sweep, and dishing it to me, not because I was critical of Cohen or even of the team, rather simply because I'd responded that I felt it more appropriate, after the Mizzou sweep to be "cautiously optimistic" and wait to see how we fared in the Gov Cup and the TAMU series.

For this I was pilloried and labeled, "uninformed", "negative", and now "agenda"-driven. The agenda here is to defend myself and my views against those who attacked me and thought I was ignorant to want to see how we did this weekend. If you have a problem with that, tough shit!

blacklistedbully
04-26-2014, 07:27 PM
Did I think your opinion was worthless? Get a life. What's sad is I have a feeling that you think that you are a lot more worthless than I think you are. And I don't think a lot of you for the record.

Compared to the way we were playing when Ole Miss beat us 12-2 and how we got swept by LSU, yes we are playing better than we were. Give them credit- they beat our All-American in Ross and then they won a game where the umpire missed a call that didn't go our way against a pitcher making his return from the disabled list.

Awww, wittle Todd got his wittle feelings hurt. Grow a pair, dude! You took great pains before this weekend to criticize my opinion, even calling it "uninformed", etc. Now that it didn't fall neatly into place as you thought it would, you can't even man up and just admit you may have been mistaken, and I may have been correct.

If it were as simple as TAMU beating our ace then winning one on a blown call, then you'd have a point. But as I have said all along with you, it's about the period running from the LSU series through this weekend. You and others wanted to consider the Mizzou sweep as proof positive we had righted the ship. I and others felt like we might be putting too much emphasis on hwo we did versus a Mizzou team that does not appear to be that good, despite what you say.

Were there 1 or 2 guys on here that were over-the-top, unjustifiably negative? You bet. But I wasn't one of them. I was just not ready to believe we were ready to compete for a hosting spot without a series win over TAMU and a good showing in the GoV Cup.

But no, that wasn't good enough for you and some others. Well screw you and your minions. If you had any class, you'd just admit you might have been a little premature and those like me not the uniformed jackasses some of y'all couldn't wait to label us.

Payback's a bitch, isn't it?

scottycameron
04-26-2014, 07:28 PM
Man I am out of the loop. I guess pilloried is the new word. I don't even know what it means. I got to google it I guess. Once I learn what it means I want to use it in conversing. Do you say it like pillow?

UMCDawg16
04-26-2014, 07:30 PM
More than we need you, dickbreath. If you had been paying attention, you'd realize it's nothing more than payback for all the shit I got from others on here who were dishing it out after the Mizzou sweep, and dishing it to me, not because I was critical of Cohen or even of the team, rather simply because I'd responded that I felt it more appropriate, after the Mizzou sweep to be "cautiously optimistic" and wait to see how we fared in the Gov Cup and the TAMU series.

For this I was pilloried and labeled, "uninformed", "negative", and now "agenda"-driven. The agenda here is to defend myself and my views against those who attacked me and though I was ignorant to want to see how we did this weekend. If you have a problem with that, tough shit!

Congratulations on winning Butthurt Post of the Week Award.

Feel better now?

UMCDawg16
04-26-2014, 07:32 PM
Awww, wittle Todd got his wittle feelings hurt. Grow a pair, dude! You took great pains before this weekend to criticize my opinion, even calling it "uninformed", etc. Now that it didn't fall neatly into place as you thought it would, you can't even man up and just admit you may have been mistaken, and I may have been correct.

If it were as simple as TAMU beating our ace then winning one on a blown call, then you'd have a point. But as I have said all along with you, it's about the period running from the LSU series through this weekend. You and others wanted to consider the Mizzou sweep as proof positive we had righted the ship. I and others felt like we might be putting too much emphasis on hwo we did versus a Mizzou team that does not appear to be that good, despite what you say.

Were there 1 or 2 guys on here that were over-the-top, unjustifiably negative? You bet. But I wasn't one of them. I was just not ready to believe we were ready to compete for a hosting spot without a series win over TAMU and a good showing in the GoV Cup.

But no, that wasn't good enough for you and some others. Well screw you and your minions. If you had any class, you'd just admit you might have been a little premature and those like me not the uniformed jackasses some of y'all couldn't wait to label us.

Let me get this straight. Payback comes in the form a childish rant my 12 year old niece would be proud of?

Seems Legit...

MarketingBully01
04-26-2014, 07:38 PM
I'll say this because of our *****footing around this weekend we have to go back to work and sweep another cellar dweller on the road to get back to where we were.

This last half of the SEC schedule is the easiest we have had. Could you imagine if we had gotten Florida and USC to finish off the schedule instead of Missouri and Tennessee? I don't think we even make a regional if we had what Alabama is finishing with.

Todd4State
04-26-2014, 09:48 PM

I think it's pretty clear who has gotten their feelings hurt and needs to grow a pair. (Hint- it's not me.)

Moving the goal posts now? Since the closed door practice, we are 6-2 including our highest RPI win to date. It is as simple as Texas A&M beating our ace and winning on a BS call. But you've proven that you don't know jack about baseball, so it's not going to do any good. If Tony Walsh doesn't suck at umpiring, we win today and then we win the series and I have a feeling that this thread doesn't get bumped up. That is the difference between you being "right" in your mind and me being right. An umpire. Congrats. You burned me there.**

I'm sorry- but any time you belittle the fact that we swept someone on the road in the SEC it is unjustifiably negative. YOU DID THAT. The fact that you attempted time and time again to justify your position even further drives home that point. The fact that you are attempting to call me out in a thread where you weren't even called out to start with also proves that point. And I'm the one that needs to grow a set? Please. What you did is essentially the equivalent of the parent that grounds their kid for making a B on a report card that otherwise has A's on it.

But no, that wasn't good enough for you and some others. Well screw you and your minions. Yeah- I'm clearly the one with the hurt feelings here. LOL. If you had any class, you'd just admit you might have been a little premature and those like me not the uniformed jackasses some of y'all couldn't wait to label us.

Wait- I have minions? Or maybe we have posters that have common baseball sense that don't put down our team for sweeping someone on the road? I've been more than polite to you, but well- screw you to. You're going to tell me to screw off and then the next sentence tell me I don't have any class? REALLY? I don't think I have to label you an uninformed jackass- you've pretty much done that to yourself. Over and over.

I sincerely hope I have an apology tomorrow about how your 14 year old got on the computer and started posing under your account.

Todd4State
04-26-2014, 09:51 PM
Let me get this straight. Payback comes in the form a childish rant my 12 year old niece would be proud of?

Seems Legit...

Apparently.** I'm not sure how I'm going to sleep tonight now.

Will James
04-27-2014, 09:21 AM
We didnt lose yesterday on a BS call Todd you can quit saying that like everything else in the game was just hunky-dory. Not bringing in Lindgren to face Lankford and the two retarded bunt calls are much more to blame; as always the coaching gets in the way.

Goat Holder
04-27-2014, 10:29 AM
We made several coaching and personnel mistakes yesterday. I understand them early because you need to figure out what you got. But it's taking longer this year to get it ironed out. Partly because nobody is stepping up. But starting Brown was boneheaded, Cohen said as much.

MarketingBully01
04-27-2014, 12:05 PM
We made several coaching and personnel mistakes yesterday. I understand them early because you need to figure out what you got. But it's taking longer this year to get it ironed out. Partly because nobody is stepping up. But starting Brown was boneheaded, Cohen said as much.

What screwed us is the leftie outfielders going a combined 1-12 in games 2 and 3 and moving Heck from the lead off spot to 6th and 4th in games 2 and 3 respectively. Looking at how Detz and Pirtle were hitting behind Heck, we would have at least scored 2-3 more runs in one of those games just because of what Heck was doing and how hot he was alone. Shit, he was 3-5 on the Thursday game in the lead off spot and allowed us to get a lead early.

A&M is a team YOU HAVE TO JUMP out early on because they will put a lot of pressure on your pitching and defense. It's a different ball game when you can jump out early on them and that left handed BS lineup did not bode well for jumping out early on that team. It also held true that the team that scored first won the games this weekend. Notice how who we pitched against A&M didn't change their lineup drastically like it did ours and they still beat us 2 out of three.

Todd4State
04-27-2014, 01:03 PM
We didnt lose yesterday on a BS call Todd you can quit saying that like everything else in the game was just hunky-dory. Not bringing in Lindgren to face Lankford and the two retarded bunt calls are much more to blame; as always the coaching gets in the way.

You can quit saying that the reason we lose every game is because we bunt and don't pitch Lindgren for 9 innings every game.

As usual, you are wrong again. We throw a strike that gets us out of the inning down the middle of the plate. Next pitch gets hit and drives in two runs.

Todd4State
04-27-2014, 01:05 PM

I said earlier that I had my doubts about Brown coming back. I still have them. I agree with you though. Cohen had to see what Brown could do and he just didn't have it. They want Brown back, but I just don't think it's going to happen.

Jacksondevildog
04-27-2014, 01:11 PM
They should have waited to pitch Brown versus Jacksonville state midweek and if he did well, they could have thrown him Sunday vs auburn. Bad decision to start him yesterday with the pressure of a rubber game.

Will James
04-27-2014, 01:25 PM
You can quit saying that the reason we lose every game is because we bunt and don't pitch Lindgren for 9 innings every game.

As usual, you are wrong again. We throw a strike that gets us out of the inning down the middle of the plate. Next pitch gets hit and drives in two runs.

You just went full straw man. Never go full straw man. There's a difference in Lindgren throwing 9 innings and Lindgren coming in to face their best hitter, a LEFTY, in a huge spot.

Todd4State
04-27-2014, 01:32 PM
You just went full straw man. Never go full straw man. There's a difference in Lindgren throwing 9 innings and Lindgren coming in to face their best hitter, a LEFTY, in a huge spot.

I didn't go full straw man. I went full sarcasm. And it went over your head.

Every time we give up a hit- "Why isn't the recruiter putting in Lindgren?" It's hilarious actually.

blacklistedbully
04-28-2014, 05:45 PM
Just got around to this thread again. Todd, you are such an ass now, and it's really disappointing to see. I will admit I used to think of you as a very solid, informed poster. I even recall taking your part once in a thread you got attacked on.

To me it seems clear, you got a lot of props in the past for your baseball posts, and got a spot on a blog read by many on this board. Now you've let your ego get the best of you. You seem to think you're better than so many others on here to the point where you now think you can tell everyone who has the right opinion (translation-yours) and who has an uninformed opinion (translation-not yours).

You built up some respect in the past, but I assure you, you have lost a TON of it this year. I know I'm not the only one here who used to enjoy your posts, but now wouldn't exert the energy to click a link to follow your blog anymore. But you keep going, little fella. Keep digging that hole deeper. I guarantee you more & more people on here are starting to realize what an egotistical jackass you've become.

Todd4State
04-28-2014, 05:58 PM
Just got around to this thread again. Todd, you are such an ass now, and it's really disappointing to see. I will admit I used to think of you as a very solid, informed poster. I even recall taking your part once in a thread you got attacked on.

To me it seems clear, you got a lot of props in the past for your baseball posts, and got a spot on a blog read by many on this board. Now you've let your ego get the best of you. You seem to think you're better than so many others on here to the point where you now think you can tell everyone who has the right opinion (translation-yours) and who has an uninformed opinion (translation-not yours).

You built up some respect in the past, but I assure you, you have lost a TON of it this year. I know I'm not the only one here who used to enjoy your posts, but now wouldn't exert the energy to click a link to follow your blog anymore. But you keep going, little fella. Keep digging that hole deeper. I guarantee you more & more people on here are starting to realize what an egotistical jackass you've become.

Who was the one that bumped this post up to attempt to "rub it in my face" and you're telling me "payback is a bitch" and I'm the ass? Really? No Really? I'm the one with the ego?

You're the one who I assumed that I was talking about even though I didn't talk about you in the original post ONE BIT.

I'm glad you enjoyed my posts at one time. But I think I would much rather mature people read my blogs instead.

You're the one being the ass here- not me. I can disagree with most people on here- but you're apparently incapable of having a real conversation. And that's not my problem.

So keep bumping this up and proving what an ass YOU are. And I've got Tony Walsh's phone number so that you can thank him for making you "right".

Will James
04-28-2014, 06:03 PM
Tony Walsh

Facepalm again. The ump didn't leave Lindgren in the pen too long or waste two outs.

blacklistedbully
04-28-2014, 06:08 PM
Oh the irony of a guy who thinks he's smart, railing on another for "bumping a thread" as he "bumps a thread" in retaliation.

You don't want "mature people" to read your thread, you want your "flock", your bobbing heads. You've imagined yourself to be something much more than you are, and in the process have developed an ego that greatly exceeds your capability.

I have no idea who Tony Walsh is, nor do I give a shit. That make me dumb and uninformed too, Todd? Though I am uninformed about your man Tony, I get more informed about you every time I get to watch you alienate more and more of our fellow posters here on ED.

Keep throwing gas on the fire, loser.

Todd4State
04-28-2014, 06:11 PM
Oh the irony of a guy who thinks he's smart, railing on another for "bumping a thread" as he "bumps a thread" in retaliation.

You don't want "mature people" to read your thread, you want your "flock", your bobbing heads. You've imagined yourself to be something much more than you are, and in the process have developed an ego that greatly exceeds your capability.

I have no idea who Tony Walsh is, nor do I give a shit. That make me dumb and uninformed too, Todd? Though I am uninformed about your man Tony, I get more informed about you every time I get to watch you alienate more and more of our fellow posters here on ED.

Yeah- I'm the loser here.

You might want to look around at where those flames are burning.

UMCDawg16
04-28-2014, 08:50 PM

You literally just described yourself. Please stop while you are behind. As for Todd, he's one of the most informed baseball posters on this site. Period.

notsofarawaydawg
04-28-2014, 09:04 PM
Todd4state > blacklistedbully + Dill James