PDA

View Full Version : Replay in MLB

Dawg61
04-21-2014, 11:34 PM
SUCKS!! Get it out of here. Currently being delayed for about 5 minutes in the A's game for a stupid replay at first. I'd much rather have imperfect games being called like the last 140 years of baseball than this stupid shit. It eliminates the manager ejections and hilarious Lou Pinella incidents and has cut back on the fighting too. Two very entertaining parts of the game I miss. Bring back catchers blocking home plate too. 2c

smootness
04-21-2014, 11:43 PM
SUCKS!! Get it out of here. Currently being delayed for about 5 minutes in the A's game for a stupid replay at first. I'd much rather have imperfect games being called like the last 140 years of baseball than this stupid shit.

Totally agree.

Bring back catchers blocking home plate too. 2c

Couldn't agree less.

esplanade91
04-22-2014, 12:04 AM
I think the only thing replay has done is prove that umps get 99% of calls correct the first time (1% being botched safe calls at 1st) and that old people are bad at technology.

Seriously though. The MLB just needs to agree to subsidize some of the NHL in exchange for them running their replay unit. NHL does it masterfully in less than 1 minute each time it's necessary and their bank account is maybe 1/50th of MLB's.

ETA: I love collisions at the plate as much as the next guy and we can talk about it until the cows come home, but it's like the Brady rule in the NFL. I love watching QB's get murdered and I think the rule has pussified the sport to a degree, but ultimately it means that I get to see more of the only ~12 good QB's on planet earth for longer.

messageboardsuperhero
04-22-2014, 12:14 AM
I like the idea of replay. It may reduce the amount of arguments, but that will always be part of the game to some extent.

The biggest problem right now is that MLB is still working out the kinks- I'll give them a couple of months to cut down on the length of reviews before saying that they botched it.

ETA: And yes, I think replay is giving the players a new respect for umpires. Those guys are really good at what they do.

dickiedawg
04-22-2014, 07:01 AM
I do not understand the mass hatred for the replay system as currently implemented. Yes, there are some tweaks that have to be made to streamline the process, but folks (ESPN, sports radio) are talking about it like it's a bigger failure than the healthcare.gov rollout.