PDA

View Full Version : Gattis

msstate7
04-21-2014, 10:20 PM
Hits game winning hr tonight. He's now hit 5 and hitting over .300. I know it's early, but I'm pleased with letting McCann walk and going with gattis

War Machine Dawg
04-21-2014, 10:32 PM
El Oso Blanco is a bad, bad man. I told all of you he'd be just fine. Dude has HIT at every level of ball he's ever played. And he's pretty good defensively, too. The staff loves pitching to him. I loved Mac, but it was entirely the right call to let him walk.

Also, I don't think I've ever hated a Brave as much as I hate Dan Uggla. Not only does he not hit, he's a complete defensive **** up at 2B.

Side note, when will Fredi give up on BJ in the 2 hole? He's so awful. I'd flip he and Simba in a heartbeat. Simba almost never strikes out and seems like he'd be a perfect fit in the 2-hole. He'd benefit from being sandwiched between J-Hey & Freeman, too. Speaking of Fredi, I was ready to fire him in the 9th. Bunting with J-Hey to setup BJ? Not only was the bunt call itself stupid, but doing it to leave the game up to your worst hitter? Really?!

I'm officially worried about Kimbrel. Second straight shitty outing tonight. And considering the problem is a lingering shoulder issue, that's pretty damn scary. Good news is Jordan Walden or Carpenter could step up if we need to DL Kimbrel for a while, or the season.

msstate7
04-21-2014, 10:37 PM
Yeah I thought Cohen was coaching when jhey was asked to bunt. Bad move...

Dawg61
04-21-2014, 10:44 PM
BJ Upton would be better off batting left handed and just slapping at the ball like Aoki does. Not joking. Heyward needs to be moved out of the leadoff spot too imo. Kimbrel struck out three batters in a row after blowing the save. He'll be fine.

War Machine Dawg
04-21-2014, 10:45 PM
Yeah I thought Cohen was coaching when jhey was asked to bunt. Bad move...

I've come to the point where I agree with Will James. The sacrifice bunt is the dumbest play in all of baseball. Giving away an out is just completely ridiculous. It seems to kill the inning almost every damn time. Bunting for a hit is different. But the only time I'd even consider bunting anymore is if it were a squeeze play. At least then you're gambling on scoring a run for an out. But any other time? **** it, swing away.

War Machine Dawg
04-21-2014, 10:51 PM
BJ Upton would be better off batting left handed and just slapping at the ball like Aoki does. Not joking. Heyward needs to be moved out of the leadoff spot too imo. Kimbrel struck out three batters in a row after blowing the save. He'll be fine.

BJ is a lost f'n cause. Makes me sick that not only are we stuck with him, he's the highest paid player in the history of the organization.

J-Hey will come around, I think. But it wouldn't hurt to move him down for a while, take a little of the pressure off. Problem is that we have no one else who plays regularly that is capable of batting leadoff. Schafer or Pastornicky could do it, but Fredi isn't going to bench his lovers BJ & Uggla. Simmons did it in the minors, but wasn't very good at it last season. Might be time to give him another look with the way he's put the ball into play so far this season, though.

If it weren't shoulder issues with Kimbrel, I wouldn't be worried. But he said he's had discomfort since spring training. That is not good. I'll admit he looked good after blowing the lead, though. Maybe the week off did the trick, but I'm not holding my breath if this has been lingering for over a month now.

Dawg61
04-21-2014, 11:01 PM
Not to start a bunting argument here but the fake bunt puts increased pressure on the pitcher in an already pressure packed situation. Just the simple act of squaring to bunt makes it more difficult for the pitcher to locate his pitch. It changes the look of an open glove and the batter facing him with his whole body can be just enough to have his pitch off a few inches. I don't like the bunt but I do like the threat of the bunt and more importantly the added pressure it puts on the pitcher. Call it bush league idc but having a batter act like he's going to bunt with instruction to pull it back makes the pitcher more wild and when they've already walked a few you can really start messing with a pitchers head this way. A pitcher is so used to a batter standing with only one shoulder open to him and nothing blocking the open catchers glove. Having the batters full chest squared and a bat blocking the catchers glove makes it more difficult to throw an accurate pitch. Truth

War Machine Dawg
04-21-2014, 11:06 PM
Not to start a bunting argument here but the fake bunt puts increased pressure on the pitcher in an already pressure packed situation. Just the simple act of squaring to bunt makes it more difficult for the pitcher to locate his pitch. It changes the look of an open glove and the batter facing him with his whole body can be just enough to have his pitch off a few inches. I don't like the bunt but I do like the threat of the bunt and more importantly the added pressure it puts on the pitcher. Call it bush league idc but having a batter act like he's going to bunt with instruction to pull it back makes the pitcher more wild and when they've already walked a few you can really start messing with a pitchers head this way. A pitcher is so used to a batter standing with only one shoulder open to him and nothing blocking the open catchers glove. Having the batters full chest squared and a bat blocking the catchers glove makes it more difficult to throw an accurate pitch. Truth

I have no problem with the slash bunt, which is what you're talking about. Fake it then swing away? Good call. Sacrificing? Turrable.

Dawg61
04-21-2014, 11:12 PM
I have no problem with the slash bunt, which is what you're talking about. Fake it then swing away? Good call. Sacrificing? Turrable.

Love the slash bunt but I'm saying don't bunt at all. Just act like you're going to bunt by being completely obvious you're bunting and then pull the bat back before it reaches the plate. At least on the first pitch after a pitcher has walked a couple guys. It makes the wild pitcher even more wild. It's little league but it works.

messageboardsuperhero
04-21-2014, 11:15 PM
I've come to the point where I agree with Will James. The sacrifice bunt is the dumbest play in all of baseball. Giving away an out is just completely ridiculous. It seems to kill the inning almost every damn time. Bunting for a hit is different. But the only time I'd even consider bunting anymore is if it were a squeeze play. At least then you're gambling on scoring a run for an out. But any other time? **** it, swing away.

It's about time people are coming around on the sac bunt stuff. Outside of one or two very specific instances, the sac bunt is a bad play. It bothers me just about every time we do it- even on the off chance that it happens to work.

Even though we won the game, the Collins bunt this weekend was inexcusable. Hopefully that was just a case of a freshman missing a sign...

FISHDAWG
04-22-2014, 09:28 AM

even with pitchers ? ... I know most can't bunt anyway and so many times I wished they were allowed swing away

smootness
04-22-2014, 09:39 AM
even with pitchers ? ... I know most can't bunt anyway and so many times I wished they were allowed swing away

Pitchers should sac bunt often.

However, I agree with the Braves' announcers the other day; they were questioning why NL minor league teams use the DH, and it really is stupid. The minors are simply a way to find and prepare players for the majors, so why in the world would you not have your pitchers hit knowing they'll have to do it once you call them up?

shoeless joe
04-22-2014, 09:42 AM
Faking a bunt against a guy that is struggling to throw strikes is idiotic. I hate seeing it. The pitcher can't throw a strike with a batter just standing there...why change what he's looking at. If he's struggling don't change a thing, just take.

I've seen it way too many times...kid squares on 3-0 count n waves the bat around. Next pitch is a strike. Now pitcher has confidence ang gets back in the zone. Just a bad play all the way around.

Political Hack
04-22-2014, 09:43 AM
BJ got on base 3 or 4 times last night. It would be nice to have him hitting, but at least he got on.

MS_half-step
04-22-2014, 09:50 AM
Don't blame Fredi, that bunt was all Heyward. Fredi said so after the game, told him it was his decision.

msstate7
04-22-2014, 10:17 AM
BJ got on base 3 or 4 times last night. It would be nice to have him hitting, but at least he got on.

Bj has been much improved since working with chipper. Chipper for hitting coach?

War Machine Dawg
04-22-2014, 10:25 AM
Pitchers should sac bunt often.

However, I agree with the Braves' announcers the other day; they were questioning why NL minor league teams use the DH, and it really is stupid. The minors are simply a way to find and prepare players for the majors, so why in the world would you not have your pitchers hit knowing they'll have to do it once you call them up?

Or better yet, and what is inevitably coming, employ the DH in the NL. 9 hitters just makes the game better. It's why the AL has been better than the NL for so long.

War Machine Dawg
04-22-2014, 10:29 AM
Bj has been much improved since working with chipper. Chipper for hitting coach?

Chipper has said a bunch of times that he wants to be a hitting coach. He discovered how much he loved it while he was working with guys after he blew out his ACL the second time. He's definitely helped the guys he's worked with and seems to have a natural talent for it. And if you ever hear him when the crew gets him in the booth for an inning or so, you can tell pretty quickly that he's got a whole lot of hitting knowledge in that brain.

msstate7
04-22-2014, 10:31 AM
Chipper has said a bunch of times that he wants to be a hitting coach. He discovered how much he loved it while he was working with guys after he blew out his ACL the second time. He's definitely helped the guys he's worked with and seems to have a natural talent for it. And if you ever hear him when the crew gets him in the booth for an inning or so, you can tell pretty quickly that he's got a whole lot of hitting knowledge in that brain.

I'm not unhappy with walker; but if chipper starts campaigning for the job, walker better watch out. Few athletes are more popular in Atlanta

War Machine Dawg
04-22-2014, 10:32 AM
I'm not unhappy with walker; but if chipper starts campaigning for the job, walker better watch out. Few athletes are more popular in Atlanta

No doubt.

Percho
04-22-2014, 11:16 AM
If I had a batter watch two strikes I would have him bunt 2-0 with a runner on and if he wanted to continue to play he better get it down fair.

smootness
04-22-2014, 01:36 PM
Or better yet, and what is inevitably coming, employ the DH in the NL. 9 hitters just makes the game better. It's why the AL has been better than the NL for so long.

I completely disagree.

dickiedawg
04-22-2014, 02:20 PM

I don't know who would be more popular than Chipper in Atlanta.

msstate7
04-22-2014, 02:40 PM
I don't know who would be more popular than Chipper in Atlanta.

Hank Aaron and Dominique Wilkins have to be near the top. Pre-dog fight Michael Vick was certainly up there

Political Hack
04-22-2014, 02:55 PM
Dale Murphy should get a mention too.

Dawg61
04-22-2014, 03:45 PM

I love that the two leagues are different. Some of the pitchers can hit too. Bumgarner for the Giants ripped a grand slam last week. He can hit. As far as the AL being better I disagree and so do the Cardinals and Giants. WS rings been going to the NL side more than the AL side the last 5-6 years.

smootness
04-22-2014, 04:08 PM
Aaron and Wilkins aren't Chipper, at least not to today's generation. Dale Murphy is probably pretty close, but nobody can match Chipper right now in the city.